• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
CLNhUdGWgAAE0zj.jpg:large

In your opinion.

Tweet Mill could have dropped the references with the claims and no commented all the way to the endzone. He let it fester and had to take shots in the meanwhile and when he finally got on wax it was garbage like everyone expected it to be.

The shit that kills Drake has nothing to do with Meek.

Trey

lol if that movie theater piss thing gains traction. So juvenile but just stupid enough for people to cling on to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you think Drake is winning now, basically like PD said it's because he's successfully changed the conversation within his own dedicated fanbase to "stop talking about authenticity, let's talk about how Meek is not as good/rich as me."

That's the only reason I can think of, because no way in hell was his material better than what Meek brought. Meek's track is unlistenable because the 2nd half is garbo and the reference track cuts in and out but he did what he was supposed to do, and the ball is still in Drake's court. Drake could have snuffed Meek out early if he just addressed the allegations instead of tap dancing around them and now he's (relatively) hurting because of it.

They both kinda lost, Quentin Miller won.
Also, this.

AJLma

If I've ever been able to rely on meek for anything it was a good beat, but not even that on this track. It gets worse at the end, and then goes on to fade into an even more ass track. Meek going at Drake has to be one of the top 3 most embarrassing moves in hip hop history.

"Platinum this, Platinum that, meanwhile I'm on the cover with a platinum chick" really?

e5YuU.gif

Getting the most spin possible out of this situation.

Still top 5-10 of 2015 IMO.

-TPAB
-Summertime '06
-Ghetto Beach Boyz
-DS2
-The Good Fight
-PT3
-Today, I Wrote Nothing
-Mr Wonderful
-Barter 6
-I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
(this year stays shitting on 2014 so hard tho)

(still convinced this Ka "spoken word with Manchurian Candidate clips" shit is some GAF Hop joke I'm not privy to)

If you think Drake is winning now, basically like PD said it's because he's successfully changed the conversation within his own dedicated fanbase to "stop talking about authenticity, let's talk about how Meek is not as good/rich as me."

That's the only reason I can think of, because no way in hell was his material better than what Meek brought. Meek's track is unlistenable because the 2nd half is garbo and the reference track cuts in and out but he did what he was supposed to do, and the ball is still in Drake's court. Drake could have snuffed Meek out early if he just addressed the allegations instead of tap dancing around them and now he's (relatively) hurting because of it.

really? which song would you bump in the rapcar? this shit or back to back? the beat and the flow are smooth, and the lines are funny.

meek's is boring and will be forgotten by tomorrow tbh. it's clear which one is the more well-oiled (and manufactured sure) machine here.

HiResDes

Drake could have stolen every line and will steal have diehard stans like Disco and Fjordson. Y'all really think Quentin the only contributor? Seems like he's like Yeezy, but with less actual curating.

DominoKid

masta ace (of all people lol) weighs in

Masta Ace ✔
@mastaace
Nah Meek. Sorry.

meek getting roasted for this trash. how he fuck this up so bad w/ all the cards in his favor lmao.

wn4jHls.gif

I like the concept, I like what he tried to do...but this is more of a miss than a make as a diss record. It feels like a rough draft, like something that should have been taken to an exec producer to tighten it up. Like Puffy, for real. It sounds like it was done in one take, first off, and clearly he needed to do those vocals again because they're sloppy. That plus the Sonny Carson dialogue sample plus the beat switch makes it feel like some mixtape diss - like some poorly thought out Dipset diss aimed at Jay Z circa 2006.

He has a couple good lines but damn, why only let Flex play 4 minutes. This is the first impression. Eh...

That being said, the reference tracks are now out. They've been taken down by Drake's lawyers but will be back up somewhere soon enough. That's the bigger story today, to me. But it seems like folks are just laughing off this track and not even talking about the reference tracks, which is what I feared. The public made up its mind a couple days ago...it's not over sure, but right now I don't think Meek landed the blow he needed.

PBY

Banned
really? which song would you bump in the rapcar? this shit or back to back? the beat and the flow are smooth, and the lines are funny.

meek's is boring and will be forgotten by tomorrow tbh. it's clear which one is the more well-oiled (and manufactured sure) machine here.

This. Back to back is actually a song - it has a hook, it has memorable punchlines that actually apply to meek. Meeks track is a standard mixtape track cut up with a bunch of shit and a couple of Drake-centric references thrown in .

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
really? which song would you bump in the rapcar? this shit or back to back? the beat, the flow and the lines are funny.

meek's is boring and will be forgotten by tomorrow tbh.
I wouldn't bump anything a week from now since they're all subpar, but I'd say they're about even if you disregard lyrical content. I like the atmospheric sounds on that Back 2 Back, but the Meek reminds me of They Don't Love You No More.

I take back saying the song is better BTW. Just as a diss track its more potent.

Drake could have stolen every line and will steal have diehard stans like Disco and Fjordson. Y'all really think Quentin the only contributor? Seems like he's like Yeezy, but with less actual curating.

when did I say he was? it's clear drake uses a bunch of OVO (former and current) people for his writing. It's just not hurting the output of his music to me. it's a disappointing revelation and drops his talent some notches to me but i'm still gonna bump 'if you're reading this'

i aint no diehard stan, des plz. miss me with that crap. i'm just being a realist here.

Nibel

Enzo you are embarassing yourself here

Even Charlamagne fucks with Back To Back - stop writing up your short analysis posts and include your subjective opinion in there like they are facts.

If you wanna see who is winning now: we've got technology that shows you direct impressions and reactions in realtime, named Twitter that allows you to see the result

Meek Mill is trash but I was feeling that Undertaker beat though. I mean it's cool we gotta hip hop beef now but this shit's nowhere near how it was in the past.

Why did I even come here

DominoKid

wn4jHls.gif

I like the concept, I like what he tried to do...but this is more of a miss than a make as a diss record. It feels like a rough draft, like something that should have been taken to an exec producer to tighten it up. Like Puffy, for real. It sounds like it was done in one take, first off, and clearly he needed to do those vocals again because they're sloppy. That plus the Sonny Carson dialogue sample plus the beat switch makes it feel like some mixtape diss - like some poorly thought out Dipset diss aimed at Jay Z circa 2006.

He has a couple good lines but damn, why only let Flex play 4 minutes. This is the first impression. Eh...

That being said, the reference tracks are now out. They've been taken down by Drake's lawyers but will be back up somewhere soon enough. That's the bigger story today, to me. But it seems like folks are just laughing off this track and not even talking about the reference tracks, which is what I feared. The public made up its mind a couple days ago...it's not over sure, but right now I don't think Meek landed the blow he needed.

the reference tracks dont even matter because of how everything played out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo you are embarassing yourself here

Even Charlamagne fucks with Back To Back - stop writing up your short analysis posts and include your subjective opinion in there like they are facts.

If you wanna see who is winning now: we've got technology that shows you direct impressions and reactions in realtime, named Twitter that allows you to see the result
I mean, it's all subjective. Clearly over the past week people have disagreed with me that Drake's pot shots about Nicki haven't been all that, but peter here saying that shit was memorable? Nah, nah.

Doesn't mean jack shit to me because dude had a chance to say some slick shit about how he keeps his team fed/is there for his homies, etc. but he didn't. That's what matters to me, it's so easy to spin or just give your damn perspective (especially considering so many people seemingly don't have a problem with this and he can use the fact that they're credited to back himself up). He had a line in there kind of saying that, but not really. It's not like this is Drake's first dance either, he's thrown better subliminals at people than shit we got in that track.

So why didn't he do it? It's clearly a two sided debate, and Meek was able to say what he wanted to say on wax, why wasn't Drake? That's why he's losing to me.

wn4jHls.gif

Well put. I agree wholeheartedly.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Meek Mill is trash but I was feeling that Undertaker beat though. I mean it's cool we gotta hip hop beef now but this shit's nowhere near how it was in the past.

Eh, this shit might be Charmin Soft, but I'd rather king of the simps vs well, Meek Mill, happen than some bodies start lying in the street.

Fjordson

Huh. I heard the 10 Bands reference back when it first dropped. And there's co-writers all over the credits. Obviously he ain't writing all this shit on his own. Even on Rico without co-writer credits he took a few lines. No denying that.

But if I'm supposed to be offended or go on some "Aubrey is dead to me!!" shit then...I don't know what to tell you

yeshrug.png

the reference tracks should have hurt for sure but at this point they are nerf darts. i think the only way meek can win this (in the mind of modern social media for sure) is if nicki raps the next one lol.

Eh, this shit might be Charmin Soft, but I'd rather king of the simps vs well, Meek Mill, happen than some bodies start lying in the street.

Oh yeah I'm with you on that. I just kinda wish the Meek/Joe beef would of popped off instead. I mean Meek would of won that off of popularity alone but I know Mouse would of got his ass like Cassidy did.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the reference tracks should have hurt for sure but at this point they are nerf darts. i think the only way meek can win this (in the mind of modern social media for sure) is if nicki raps the next one lol.
You might be right. I think Nicki is the only one who can sway this. I don't think that's going to happen though, and it seems like Meek missed his chance at the knockout. And he needed a knockout, because people will listen to Drake's next track, but they might not Meek's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom