• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schreier: "PlayStation’s Astro Bot Is a Model for the Video-Game Industry"

Killjoy-NL

Yes, because simple smaller games like Astro Bot are what made Playstation the behemoth it is today. /s

It's good that they release games like this as well, but if it would be the bulk of releases, people would be moving away from Playstation.

Last edited:

Woopah

You can clear up. What was the problem exactly in that picture Jason was complaining?
That there's many different types of people in the world, but that this team (from the outside) all look to be similar.

Now to be clear, I do think his tweet is stupid and I don't agree that you can use a photo necessarily to judge a team like that.

But him believing that it's good for a team to be diverse doesn't mean he hates white people.

Klosshufvud

What did I tell you? Jason is so smart! He really understands...

Jason really touches on the most relevant question of them all; do shareholders and by extension these publically traded corporations even care about these medium sized hits? It's not exactly the type of games that attract shareholder buyers. The whole system is promoting endless trend chasing bandwagoning and sustainable business is nowhere as important as risky, all-in business that promises huge riches. We've seen all major publishers shift heavily into these massive all-or-nothing type of games,

I think this whole system of short-term greed has to come crashing down before we can go back to the good old days of games just being games. Now the stakes are too high. There's too much money involved. Too many layers of greed.

Fake

Gold Member
That there's many different types of people in the world, but that this team (from the outside) all look to be similar.

Now to be clear, I do think his tweet is stupid and I don't agree that you can use a photo necessarily to judge a team like that.

But him believing that it's good for a team to be diverse doesn't mean he hates white people.

I don't see anything in that tweet mention about the team being more or less diverse.
For me he was indeed complaining about people being white in this picture. I don't know if you are being silly or not, but Jason have quite a historic on Kotaku pretty much give him this reputation of hating people for being white, not to mention this is a common trend over twitter.
So, my advice is to stop talking on behalf of others and maybe other people will do the same.

nial

Yes, because simple smaller games like Astro Bot are what made Playstation the behemoth it is today. /s

It's good that they release games like this as well, but if it would be the bulk of releases, people would be moving away from Playstation.
No, if they were the bulk of releases, they would complement the big blockbusters, not erase them.
In fact, it's the exact reason as to why Sony's 2024 lineup is vastly better than 2023.
In 2023 you had Spider-Man 2 and MLB The Show 23, and then two PSVR2 exclusives that most people obviously didn't care about (Horizon and Firewall).
In 2024 you had Helldivers 2 and MLB The Show 24, and then Rise of the Ronin, and then Stellar Blade, AND THEN Astro Bot, Until Dawn and Lego Horizon Adventures.
It's probably not everyone's favorite lineup, but it's a nice mix of variety and projects of different scope, that should be the model of their output going forward.

Last edited:

Woopah

I don't see anything in that tweet mention about the team being more or less diverse.
For me he was indeed complaining about people being white in this picture. I don't know if you are being silly or not, but Jason have quite a historic on Kotaku pretty much give him this reputation of hating people for being white, not to mention this is a common trend over twitter.
So, my advice is to stop talking on behalf of others and maybe other people will do the same.
Im not trying to talk on behalf of others.

You asked me what I thought Jason's problem with the photo was, so I told you. I was answering your question.

There's a big difference between wanting diversity and hating white people.

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
Absolutely. And the thing is, bloating isn't hard. It's actually hard to be focused and make a short game still feel like a big adventure. Many masterpieces and classics I still play today can be beat in less than two afternoons, but don't actually feel short. Symphony of the Night, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Resident Evil 2, Super Castlevania 4, Streets of Rage 2, etc. When it comes to RPGs, I'll never have the time to replay something like Dragon Quest 11 ever again. Thankfully there's Bloodborne and Chrono Trigger at 20 hours which is still an amount of time worth investing into a replay of such good classics. And I'm never gonna touch soulless bloated trash like Assassin's Creed to begin with. Back in the day I would have tried a 7/10 game with a few interesting ideas, but not anymore with 50 hour open worlds.

And the birdbrains whining about the price... nothing drops quicker than videogame prices. So just wait two fucking months if you're that appalled by paying 70 bucks for a non-bloated campaign. I don't even remember what I paid for Resident Evil 2 back in the day and it absolutely doesn't matter when I go back to it once again.
My ideal is a good 20-60 hrs unless you're an uncharted 2, god of war 2 or something.

Then I sprinkle in some elder scrolls, witcher 3's, etc in there. Those games used to be every once in awhile lol

midnightAI

They certainly helped..
Parappa the Rapper
Ape Escape
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank

You don't like Astro, cool, millions will

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jason really touches on the most relevant question of them all; do shareholders and by extension these publically traded corporations even care about these medium sized hits? It's not exactly the type of games that attract shareholder buyers. The whole system is promoting endless trend chasing bandwagoning and sustainable business is nowhere as important as risky, all-in business that promises huge riches. We've seen all major publishers shift heavily into these massive all-or-nothing type of games,

I think this whole system of short-term greed has to come crashing down before we can go back to the good old days of games just being games. Now the stakes are too high. There's too much money involved. Too many layers of greed.

I feel like Jason is asking a question ("Does the industry care about singles and doubles or only home runs?") when the actual industry asked that question (and answered it) almost 10 years ago. He's asking it, of course, because his audience craves the idea.

Epic Games sold Gears of War...a series where each installment sold around 7 million lifetime copies (made by around 50 to 100 devs) because they didn't like where the math was headed. That was in 2014.

Astrobot feels like it's going to tread water in a pool of Michael Phelps collecting golds.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
In a week where Sony announced it was pulling Concord - one of its other recent big games - from sale after a tepid response from critics and players, there's pressure for Astro Boy to be a success. And it's director, Nicolas Doucet, has been talking to BBC Newsbeat about food... and how the game is more of a "two-course meal that is going to be just right" rather than an all-you-can-eat blockbuster with hours upon hours of gameplay. But Doucet feels that's what gamers want right now - and that Astro Bot can satisfy gamers' appetites.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Nintendo has been doing this successfully for the last decade (low cost/high profit) but now it's suddenly a revelation?

The Industry screwed itself over by abandoning the AA game in favor of the greed of the GAAS game and the stupidity of the financially bloated AAA game

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member

You asked me what I thought Jason's problem with the photo was, so I told you. I was answering your question.

You can't answer the question because you are not Jason. Until Jason open up about what that stupid tweet is supposed to be people are free to speculate.

Kotaro

Some people believe in diversity, others still believe in merits and individual preferences, it's really up to the people who are involved. People are free to associate with whomever they feel compatible with

The problem is that Jason mocked that small team because they only comprise of White people. He doesn't believe in freedom of association.

Woopah

You can't answer the question because you are not Jason. Until Jason open up about what that stupid tweet is supposed to be people are free to speculate.
If you dont think I can answer the question then why did you ask it to me?

People are free to speculate. But at no point in that tweet does Jason say he hates white people.
Some people believe in diversity, others still believe in merits and individual preferences, it's really up to the people who are involved. People are free to associate with whomever they feel compatible with

The problem is that Jason mocked that small team because they only comprise of White people. He doesn't believe in freedom of association.
This I 100% agree with. There's nothing wrong with a small dev team being all white men and it was wrong of Jason to imply that there is.

Killjoy-NL

No, if they were the bulk of releases, they would complement the big blockbusters, not erase them.
In fact, it's the exact reason as to why Sony's 2024 lineup is vastly better than 2023.
In 2023 you had Spider-Man 2 and MLB The Show 23, and then two PSVR2 exclusives that most people obviously didn't care about (Horizon and Firewall).
In 2024 you had Helldivers 2 and MLB The Show 24, and then Rise of the Ronin, and then Stellar Blade, AND THEN Astro Bot, Until Dawn and Lego Horizon Adventures.
It's probably not everyone's favorite lineup, but it's a nice mix of variety and projects of different scope, that should be the model of their output going forward.
That's why I said it's good that Sony releases those games as well.
But people expect blockbusters.

They certainly helped..
Parappa the Rapper
Ape Escape
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank

You don't like Astro, cool, millions will
Sure, but those were also different times.

And at no point did I say that I don't like Astro.

Hrk69

Gold Member
And you can ignore all the ones you don’t care for.
I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Humdinger

I didn't realize the game was relatively short (12-15 hours). That's great news. I'm a big fan of short, well-edited games. I like big, open-world games, too, but I can only manage one or two of those a year. All the extra padding can get tedious. I admire developers who can keep the pacing tight.

skit_data

Gold Member
I think it's very fortunate that Team Asobi were able to make Astro Bot.As far as I understand these guys are some of the most knowledgable tech wise in PS Studios and weren't originally meant to produce titles themselves but rather assist other 1st party studios. Afaik they've worked together as a team longer than most studios and have knowledge, skill and experience as well as a great loyalty towards each other.

Fake

Gold Member
Is the person saying the post contains "white racial hatred" speaking for Jason?

He is speculating. You are the one saying 100% that tweet was not race bait and 'Jason don't hate white folks', something we can't confirm in that tweet.

Nobody is blind dude. This hate over white folks is a complete normal trend over the Twitter, zero accountability. He could easily adress his tweet instead of blocking half of the Twitter users.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I think it's very fortunate that Team Asobi were able to make Astro Bot.As far as I understand these guys are some of the most knowledgable tech wise in PS Studios and weren't originally meant to produce titles themselves but rather assist other 1st party studios. Afaik they've worked together as a team longer than most studios and have knowledge, skill and experience as well as a great loyalty towards each other.
They are definitely one of Sony most talented studios (and it shows).

Maybe now Sony will rethink re-opening their Japan Studios...

Woopah

He is speculating. You are the one saying 100% that tweet was not race bait and 'Jason don't hate white folks', something we can't confirm in that tweet.

Nobody is blind dude. This hate over white folks is a complete normal trend over the Twitter, zero accountability.
His follow up comment on that tweet specifically talks about gender diversity.

The speculation doesn't fit what he's saying. Thinking it would be better if a dev team had men and women in it doesn't mean you hate white people.

Last edited:
Fully agree, another thing about longer games is the replayability issue.

So many of them feel like such a slog the idea of replaying them is really off putting.

That is because...

I think this speaks to how shallow most games actually are. Most of them are built to be interesting for 5 to 10 hours and then the planned obsolescence kicks in.

Short games end before the planned obsolescence period drags on too long.
Long games just keep going.

We should be wanting better gameplay design, more depth, more variety. Instead we talk about when a game should end because we see another interesting 5 - 10 hours game coming next month.

...they are long, but not dense games. Dense games are meaningful experiences the entire way through. Think RE4, Half-Life, Super Mario anything, Halo, etc. These are games that do not have much downtime where you are waiting for something interesting to happen.

The problem really began with dynamically generated content, and I think it hit the zeitgeist with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. It was an amazing achievement to be able to interact and pick up just about everything, and having such a huge world to explore, and how they did "radiant" AI with unscripted events playing out. Interestingly enough, the most heavily criticized parts of the game were the copy/paste caves and Oblivion gates. But there was enough hand crafted content that those copy/paste parts were able to serve as filler and more so contributed to the scale of the world.

However, every other dev team saw that and tried to do their own version of it to expand the amount of time people spent with the game, whether people really wanted to do so or not. So then you had games that wanted to have Elder Scrolls playtime, without having Elder Scrolls content and the richness of that world to encourage people to keep playing. This is how you get bloated Assassin's Creed and GTA style games that have a handful of different types of missions or collectibles. There is a difference between repeating elements of gameplay throughout the game which can be enjoyable, and "I experienced this already in the previous area" padding to artificially lengthen the game.

Absolutely. And the thing is, bloating isn't hard. It's actually hard to be focused and make a short game still feel like a big adventure. Many masterpieces and classics I still play today can be beat in less than two afternoons, but don't actually feel short. Symphony of the Night, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Resident Evil 2, Super Castlevania 4, Streets of Rage 2, etc. When it comes to RPGs, I'll never have the time to replay something like Dragon Quest 11 ever again. Thankfully there's Bloodborne and Chrono Trigger at 20 hours which is still an amount of time worth investing into a replay of such good classics. And I'm never gonna touch soulless bloated trash like Assassin's Creed to begin with. Back in the day I would have tried a 7/10 game with a few interesting ideas, but not anymore with 50 hour open worlds.

And the birdbrains whining about the price... nothing drops quicker than videogame prices. So just wait two fucking months if you're that appalled by paying 70 bucks for a non-bloated campaign. I don't even remember what I paid for Resident Evil 2 back in the day and it absolutely doesn't matter when I go back to it once again.

The issue is two-fold. First, you have gamers saying dumb shit like "I don't replay games" and focusing on things like "hours per dollar" to somehow maximize their satisfaction. Forget for a moment that it's difficult to quantify fun and your enjoyment during that time. This discourages any effort by devs to make a game replayable. Second, it's in the interest of publishers to discourage replaying a game you already own unless they can make more money off you. This is why GAAS has been so popular - sell, or give away a copy of the game and have you come back to buy expansions, seasons, battle passes, etc. If you are replaying an old classic without giving them more money, that is time and money not being spent on their newest offering.

This is more due to gaming being viewed as a business first, and art for second. How many of games like this are being created because they have passionate dev teams that want to make a fun game that offers something new or unique? Or does it exist because "we are in the business of making games, and this is a game we are making to profit so we can continue the business of making games"?

Yeah. And also Concord was made with the objective of "how do we make a game that can make the most money", while Astrobot seems like a game that was made with the simple objective of "making the most fun game we can make."

This, and...

I am not even sure it is possible for a company in the US, like EA or Sony, to make a game with a staff of sixty people anymore, due to all the initiatives and policies and laws in place. Like, people have been talking about 150 people who worked at Firewalk, but in reality it was more like 1000+ who actually worked on the game. Like, just to use a simple example everyone has been talking about, if you "need" to hire diversity consultant, they are not free. They are actually really, really, really expensive. So if the managers at the company decide you have to hire them, you're not making a game with sixty people over three years, and they get in and start throwing out work and reworking things.

This is, essentially, managerialism which has hit the game industry like a comet in the past 10 years or so. You end up with huge bureaucracies designed to manage the bureaucracy. It's hard to go back.

...this too. Spot on, the gaming industry has been taken mainstream and was invaded by your typical business grifters who view it as a way to make money. Of course the rise in popularity of gaming has helped increase resources available to make incredible big budget games that would otherwise be impossible. Unfortunately it also turned into another industry that churns out content for the sake of keeping itself going. The bloat is a self-perpetuating cycle - and it's a fool's errand in the realm of software. The more people you throw at a problem doesn't mean it gets easier. Nine women cannot produce a child in one month. The Phoenix Project is a great book that explains the perils of software project management and how sometimes a smaller, simpler team with expertise and focus can outperform the shitshow that is a large team with churn. And that's just on the production side - how can anyone add a personal, artistic touch to games that gives them personality, when there is such an unbelievably large amount of content? We are seeing good examples right now of the industry and its development structure collapsing under their own weight, meanwhile tooling and resources have become so good you see indie dev teams and solo acts putting out games like Stardew Valley, Animal Well, and Hollow Knight and succeeding critically and financially.

Kotaro

I am not even sure it is possible for a company in the US, like EA or Sony, to make a game with a staff of sixty people anymore, due to all the initiatives and policies and laws in place. Like, people have been talking about 150 people who worked at Firewalk, but in reality it was more like 1000+ who actually worked on the game. Like, just to use a simple example everyone has been talking about, if you "need" to hire diversity consultant, they are not free. They are actually really, really, really expensive. So if the managers at the company decide you have to hire them, you're not making a game with sixty people over three years, and they get in and start throwing out work and reworking things.

This is, essentially, managerialism which has hit the game industry like a comet in the past 10 years or so. You end up with huge bureaucracies designed to manage the bureaucracy. It's hard to go back.

Yup, I read it somewhere that the characters artists complained how their designs have to go thru multiple iterations with multiple teams to make sure they check all the boxes, .....and dialogs and scripts also have to go thru multiple iterations with multiple teams, even gesture or animation have to go thru DEI teams, to make sure they are not too sexy or suggestive, etc, etc....all that add up to bloated budget

That's what Western devs have to go thru, they've made their beds, now they have to lie in it

Nintendo has been doing this successfully for the last decade (low cost/high profit) but now it's suddenly a revelation?

The Industry screwed itself over by abandoning the AA game in favor of the greed of the GAAS game and the stupidity of the financially bloated AAA game
Exactly this. Most of the industry have being blind to the Successful Nintendo model happening since a long time. I have no clue why. Stupidity, greed, incompetence?

Its hilarious that Jason Schrek and the geniuses here think they know better than Sony on stuff like which games will make the most money.

KXVXII9X

Honestly, I just hope gamers support games like Astro Bot instead of them going away like the rest of their crew at Japan Studios. Same with Hi Fi Rush and Gravity Rush (I'm sensing a pattern lol). Even with all the positive hype surrounding Astro Bot, it will probably continue to sell much less than the big giants like COD and Assassin's Creed. I wouldn't be shocked if it sells less than Star Wars Outlaws. I hope it sells millions.

I like big blockbuster games, but I have always supported the experimental and creative smaller scope games from big companies. PlayStation was at its best when it could have both coexist and bring their A game in both areas.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Concord taking 8 years to make with a massive budget that looks like a run of the mill hero shooter, while something like Splatoon was a completely new take on multiplayer shooters with a fraction of the budget and less development time. There is so much to critique Concord on beyond it being a Live Service game.

I'm sure we will have this same discussion again.

Gambit2483

Yup, I read it somewhere that the characters artists complained how their designs have to go thru multiple iterations with multiple teams to make sure they check all the boxes, .....and dialogs and scripts also have to go thru multiple iterations with multiple teams, even gesture or animation have to go thru DEI teams, to make sure they are not too sexy or suggestive, etc, etc....all that add up to bloated budget

That's what Western devs have to go thru, they've made their beds, now they have to lie in it
Design-by-committee is the most assured way to kill/stifle genuine artistic creativity.

Real artists, across all industries, need to collectively reject this kind of "artistic" design.

midnightAI

Sure, but those were also different times.

And at no point did I say that I don't like Astro.
Well the success of PlayStation didnt happen over night and those games were instrumental in Sony getting a foothold in the console market when you had the likes of Sega and Nintendo ruling the roost back then. Somewhere along the line game studios forgot how to make games actually 'fun', Astro Bot is a taste of that at least and a very welcome break from the too serious tone or politically charged games these days (even games that are supposedly comic book like games)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Exactly this. Most of the industry have being blind to the Successful Nintendo model happening since a long time. I have no clue why. Stupidity, greed, incompetence?
It's pretty obvious. Nintendo thrives with it because they work on mediocre hardware that happens to be the only one where their games can be played (legally).
Most other devs want/have to work with superior hardware, and the public's expectations about games made with better hardware are obviously very different.
The "Nintendo Model" failed spectacularly when they made a console nobody else wanted to develop for and that didn't have the added value of portability.

Nintendo just play to their own strengths. They don't have the manpower or the resources to make a God of War or a The Last of Us - but then again they don't have to, because they make their own hardware where those games aren't expected to run.
Nintendo is possibly going to face their "HD towns are hard" moment with their next hardware, as it's expected to step up their game considerably. That's probably why they have expanded in the last few years.

Sony would definitely benefit from lower-budget, smaller-scope games. Expanding your portfolio with good games never hurts. The crux of the matter is, their success ultimately doesn't hinge on those games. Most people want multimillion-dollar projects with the best possible production values money and tech can offer, and only huge teams can make those games. Turn a PlayStation into a non-portable Switch that only gets a couple of TLOU-caliber games every half decade, and watch the sales plummet.

Killjoy-NL

Somewhere along the line game studios forgot how to make games actually 'fun',
Subjective.
Astro Bot is a taste of that at least and a very welcome break from the too serious tone or politically charged games these days (even games that are supposedly comic book like games)
This I can agree with.

But acting like it is somehow 'saving' Sony from whatever doom that's supposedly impending this time, is taking it all a bit too far.

Subjective.

This I can agree with.

But acting like it is somehow 'saving' Sony from whatever doom that's supposedly impending this time, is taking it all a bit too far.
No it's not. It's objective when most children have fun playing the game. If children have fun, adult will also in most cases.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

After playing it, I feel sorry for the people who skip this because of the genre. There are so many cool and novel ideas. It is so creative. It feels like something totally new. It is a must play, anyone who doesn’t play it is skipping one of the best games made today, and will regret not playing this when it was relevant.

midnightAI

Subjective.

This I can agree with.

Oh, I don't agree with schreiers take (well, I get the sentiment, it's just not that simple) but we do need more variety in my opinion. Personally I'd like to see more single player games, maybe even more linear games (but not overly linear... I'm looking at you Ninja Theory, who not only forgot to make their game fun, they also forgot to even make a game (personal opinion, but how can they make such a short game that is so boring, one that I found a chore to play)

Top Bottom