• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schreier: "PlayStation’s Astro Bot Is a Model for the Video-Game Industry"

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think the conversation around hours of gameplay per dollar is pretty unfortunate. I do get it, if you're someone who can only afford to buy a handful of games a year, but most of us don't really fall into that category but we still act as if we've been shortchanged any time a game dares to clock in under 30 hours.

We don't really do this for any other medium, no one considers a 3.5 hour movie a better "value" than a 1.5 hour movie. Or a 30 track album compared to a 12 track album. But with gaming we act as if their principle value is simply the length of time they can silence the screams at the back of your skull.

I want there to be more room for medium length experiences. I feel like there is compared to in the past but we haven't gotten away from it yet.

Gambit2483

After playing it, I feel sorry for the people who skip this because of the genre. There are so many cool and novel ideas. It is so creative. It feels like something totally new. It is a must play, anyone who doesn’t play it is skipping one of the best games made today, and will regret not playing this when it was relevant.
Yea, Unless you just hate platformers outright you should absolutely give Astro Bot a go 👍

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Easier to make this kind of game in Japan when you you can pay people half the salary compared to the rest of the world and people will work hard anyway simply because it's their passion or they are workaholics or they have a dream to live in Japan.

Isn't that the same for US as well? Game programmers aren't exactly at the top of the salary scale.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
I think this whole system of short-term greed has to come crashing down before we can go back to the good old days of games just being games. Now the stakes are too high. There's too much money involved. Too many layers of greed
Lmao, gaming was always about profit. Don't let the nostalgia make you think otherwise

Exactly this. Most of the industry have being blind to the Successful Nintendo model happening since a long time. I have no clue why. Stupidity, greed, incompetence?
Not being first in the post 80s crash. That's it.
Nintendo's success comes from endlessly milking the same IPs for decades at a time and selling games 10 years behind for contemporary prices while also taking just as long, leveraging Japanese wage levels.

Design-by-committee is the most assured way to kill/stifle genuine artistic creativity.

Real artists, across all industries, need to collectively reject this kind of "artistic" design.
Those real artists should never bother doing anything with someone else's money, then. No one's investing in anything for free. Unless you're a genius in more than one area of game production, some degree of design by committee is necessary.

And the truth is that the most successful games do not come out of "real artists". And that's at the feet of consumers.

Porcile

Isn't that the same for US as well? Game programmers aren't exactly at the top of the salary scale.
Don't know much about American game dev salaries but in Japan the pay for working game dev or being an artist can be nearly the same or worse as retail work or teaching etc

Gambit2483

Those real artists should never bother doing anything with someone else's money, then. No one's investing in anything for free. Unless you're a genius in more than one area of game production, some degree of design by committee is necessary.

And the truth is that the most successful games do not come out of "real artists". And that's at the feet of consumers.
I understand it's not the exact same as it was in the 90s/early 2000s but the "Real artists" in this industry should keep looking for Studios that do NOT mandate political influences insert themselves into their art.

In other words, Non-political, Design-by-committees.

SSfox

He's the jesus of gaming journalism

And you better believe someone will open a thread if his journalism includes something positive about Sony.

He's a nobody. his reputation was solely build on sniffing into game studios Secrets projects then leaking it.

Woopah

It's pretty obvious. Nintendo thrives with it because they work on mediocre hardware that happens to be the only one where their games can be played (legally).
Most other devs want/have to work with superior hardware, and the public's expectations about games made with better hardware are obviously very different.
The "Nintendo Model" failed spectacularly when they made a console nobody else wanted to develop for and that didn't have the added value of portability.
I don't think the public's expectations are that much different on more powerful machines.

Some of the most popular games on PS5 and Xbox are things like Minecraft, Forrnite, GTA V, Roblox etc. etc.

I think Astro Bot is amazing but I have no idea why people are acting like it's a revelation. Nintendo has been doing this forever and will continue to keep doing it. The New Astro Bot feels like a Mario Galaxy 3 but that should give you a clue. It's been done before many times. I am just glad that it seems that many have started to see the light, realizing what makes a good game, and no it's not realistic graphics and bigot sandwiches. Why do you think Nintendo is popular. If Sony made a game like Zelda, I can imagine people on here thinking it's the second coming. I have been in bemusement of all my the people being amazed by it having levels with completely unique gameplay elements. Play Mario Wonder, it's just that. What makes Astro Bot unique is that someone other than Nintendo has done it.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I like how some shortsighted posters are implying that this is a "Nintendo model" which is not true to the slightest !!

BotW took 300 people 5 years to make.
ToK took around 800 people 6 years to make.

Now lets be realistic here, the model proposed at the OP might be suitable to smaller scale/established formula kind of games like platformers BUT It wont work at all at larger scope game, or even for some genres of games.

Now try to make Elden Ring or GTA6 with 60 people? It won't work at all.

Before setting a model industry wise, gamers need to accept:

• Stop demanding latest tech in games
  • Accept the reduced scope/length
  • Understand that not all games are created equally
My point is what worked for Team Asobi is not technically viable for others but its good to have similar focused project within each publisher. (Like what Sony is doing)

Last edited:

Kotaro

I think Astro Bot is amazing but I have no idea why people are acting like it's a revelation. Nintendo has been doing this forever and will continue to keep doing it. The New Astro Bot feels like a Mario Galaxy 3 but that should give you a clue. It's been done before many times. I am just glad that it seems that many have started to see the light, realizing what makes a good game, and no it's not realistic graphics and bigot sandwiches. Why do you think Nintendo is popular. If Sony made a game like Zelda, I can imagine people on here thinking it's the second coming. I have been in bemusement of all my the people being amazed by it having levels with completely unique gameplay elements. Play Mario Wonder, it's just that. What makes Astro Bot unique is that someone other than Nintendo has done it.

Because Sony fans just discovered gameplay.

They’re so used to rEaL LiFe gRAphICs! Now that they actually find something thats fun to play without real life graphics, they praise it like the second coming of Jesus

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don't think the public's expectations are that much different on more powerful machines.

Some of the most popular games on PS5 and Xbox are things like Minecraft, Forrnite, GTA V, Roblox etc. etc.
I expected someone to make this rebuttal and, no offense, it’s pretty disingenuous.

Those games a) predate the latest consoles by a long while and weren’t born on them, b) are amongst the most played, most successful games ever, and people will keep playing them on new hardware when old hardware becomes obsolete, c) being old games, they didn’t cost as much and didn’t require all that manpower out of the gate.
Except for GTA V. GTA V is the 2013 equivalent of today’s AAA, which makes it completely unfit for the point you were trying to make. Today it’s an old game, but let’s not pretend that just because of that, it’s suddenly an AA production made by a small studio.

BlackTron

I heard it borrows a lot from Mario but I kinda figured all 3D platformers are going to have a lot in common anyway. Then I watched about 10 minutes of footage and was like OK, it's insane how much was borrowed from Mario lol. Not really as a negative, but it made all the discourse seem awkward. People love to say Mario is "the same rehashed thing over and over" even though it usually has new ideas. Then Sony blatantly copies Mario and it's the best thing ever.

In before the deluge of gamers who start playing Mario with the next one and say how "similar it is" to Astro-Bot lol.

SweetTooth

Gold Member

They’re so used to rEaL LiFe gRAphICs! Now that they actually find something thats fun to play without real life graphics, they praise it like the second coming of Jesus

Your post plus the post you qouted are pure definition of "radical generalization"

Gaming industry is one of the view industries that can cater to both audiences (pure gameplay fun vs cinematic storytelling) also you can do both in some cases. That doesn't make a type better than the other at all.

I will give you some great examples made by Sony especially:

Until Dawn (great game with limited gameplay mechanics) still was universally praised and loved by gamers

Returnal (tight and fantastic gameplay loop with advance graphics and audio implementation) again universally praised by critics and gamers

Uncharted/GoW/HZD (Industry leading graphics and effects that focuses deep in character story with varying degrees with gameplay elements) loved by millions critics and gamers

Astrobot (fantastic platformer with tight gameplay and charming gameplay ideas)

There is a market for all types I mentioned above and there is no best out of them (depend on taste/preferences) and guess what? Which major publisher/console maker covered these types?

Woopah

I expected someone to make this rebuttal and, no offense, it’s pretty disingenuous.

Those games a) predate the latest consoles by a long while and weren’t born on them, b) are amongst the most played, most successful games ever, and people will keep playing them on new hardware when old hardware becomes obsolete, c) being old games, they didn’t cost as much and didn’t require all that manpower out of the gate.
Except for GTA V. GTA V is the 2013 equivalent of today’s AAA, which makes it completely unfit for the point you were trying to make. Today it’s an old game, but let’s not pretend that just because of that, it’s suddenly an AA production made by a small studio.
The point is that people are still happy playing games with that level of graphics. I'm not talking about manpower or production costs, I'm talking about players expectations.

Let's take a newer example. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga released on PS5 and Switch. But I don't think the sales on PS5 were negatively impacted by people having super high graphic expectations for the games they play.

Likewise, I think a game
that look like Xenoblade 3 or one that looks like Fire Emblem Engage could sell well on PS5, even if they don't look as good as other PS5 games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We don't really do this for any other medium
We do actually. "I don't go to the movies anymore. Spending 25 dollars per ticket just to watch a 2 hour movie isn't worth it. I'll wait for it to come to streaming."

Hell, you walk into a bookstore and the majority of books are around 300 pages, not 75. It's this way, in part, because most people have a time per dollar calculator running in their head.

SSfox

PlayStation fans knows about gameplay more than you will ever , PlayStation launched with Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil and cie, aka games with the most innovative gameplay ever made

Anyway You are pathetic

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

No offense but their are some insane fucking mechanics going around this game that make many other AAA titles look like amateur hour

Irobot82

Yeah it's a great model for a shorter game packed with fun and all that. Not paying the same money for it though. Maybe $30-$40 tops.

I heard it borrows a lot from Mario but I kinda figured all 3D platformers are going to have a lot in common anyway. Then I watched about 10 minutes of footage and was like OK, it's insane how much was borrowed from Mario lol. Not really as a negative, but it made all the discourse seem awkward. People love to say Mario is "the same rehashed thing over and over" even though it usually has new ideas. Then Sony blatantly copies Mario and it's the best thing ever.

In before the deluge of gamers who start playing Mario with the next one and say how "similar it is" to Astro-Bot lol.
The final secret level in Astro Bot is an almost exact copy of the ones you get at the end of a Mario game even down to the same obstacles with you having to jump over shockwave like rings. The level select is even the same as the first Mario Galaxy. This isn't a bad thing. Why not copy from the best. I just find it strange that people are acting like they have never seen this before unless this place is a bubble regarding just playing Sony games.

They are a model because it was a team of talented people who's only goal was to make the game THEY WANTED TO MAKE.

They made a game with the attitude of "were making what we want and did our best, we hope you'll enjoy it" and that's it. They didn't pander to anyone, didn't try to hit diversity checklists, didn't have woke agendas or any of that. They wanted to make something and they did it.

Also, do you notice anything about the dev team?

No tattooed up bodies, no pride stuff, no blue hair, no protest slogans, not overly forced diversity or any of that stuff. Just a group of people happy to make the games they want to make.

It
They are a model because it was a team of talented people who's only goal was to make the game THEY WANTED TO MAKE.

They made a game with the attitude of "were making what we want and did our best, we hope you'll enjoy it" and that's it. They didn't pander to anyone, didn't try to hit diversity checklists, didn't have woke agendas or any of that. They wanted to make something and they did it.

Also, do you notice anything about the dev team?

No tattooed up bodies, no pride stuff, no blue hair, no protest slogans, not overly forced diversity or any of that stuff. Just a group of people happy to make the games they want to make.

It's like looking at a picture of a dev team from 20 years ago. Just shows that input equals output. They actually look like they have their jobs on merit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People calling this game AA have no idea what they're talking about. This game looks stunning and pushes the hardware without ever missing a frame.
AAA has NOTHING to do with actual quality of game or even polished its is……..it all about how expensive it is and how much they payed for marketing……thats it.

Last edited:

Karak

All great games are models for the industry. Wow, who fucking knew. Some of you are so fucking hilarious for eating this shit up that I genuinely think you guys were born yesterday and never played other good games before especially Jason.
Agreed. That is really what should be the point of all this.

LimanimaPT

60 people over 3 years? Yup, that's sustainable...There are lessons to be learned here.
Now, take 2 more years and make a VR version.

Top Bottom