• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsdesu

Soo..

Meek might go to jail again
57KrO0m.png

Nikki got ya boy properly gassed up! Dumbass.

zatara

Oh how the tables have turned, Officer Ricky's latest album on a major label sells only 36k first week, and 50's independent album moves 47k first week.

HiiiLife

In the few years I've been with y'all, I don't think I've ever seen a question of technical vs lyrical. Anybody mind telling me what it means to you? Cause I sure as hell feel like I'm mixing em up lol.

overcast

i thought Spike was that boy godfather. why they going at each other like that?
Chance called Chi-Raq (Spike's newest movie) "exploitative".

Lee fired back saying if you care about Chicago why aren't you criticizing the mayor? Oh, cause your dad works for him 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

DominoKid

Lee fired back saying if you care about Chicago why aren't you criticizing the mayor? Oh, cause your dad works for him 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

Tjo1qZi.gif

that's how you pull somebody card right there.

Kwixotik

In the few years I've been with y'all, I don't think I've ever seen a question of technical vs lyrical. Anybody mind telling me what it means to you? Cause I sure as hell feel like I'm mixing em up lol.

This was a really easy question until I thought about it. I was an English major in undergrad, but I'll be honest and say I'm not any good at evaluating technical aspects of poems/raps. I've always considered myself more of a "lyrical" than "technical" guy, but they can be hard to separate at times.

Like, wordplay is a quality of meaning rather than sound but in a way it's also a technical skill. You could make a song consisting entirely of puns with nothing tying it all together in terms of meaning and in that sense it'd be kind of a technical ability. And then with being "lyrical" is a song lyrical if it can tell a good story or evoke an emotional response even if it lacks vocabulary/metaphors (something like They Reminisce Over You)? But good vocab doesn't necessarily make something lyrical - if you look at it from a technical point of view having more words to draw from makes it easier to rhyme.

Where does flow fit?

I'm trying to think of songs that skew heavily one way or the other

Technical, but not necessarily lyrical: Madvillainy - Meat Grinder

Lyrical, not necessarily technical: Earl Sweatshirt - Sunday (ft. Frank Ocean) (Parts of it are kinda technical but overall, especially Frank's part, I would say skew the other way)
Death Grips - Beware (if you count it)

They're both kind of intertwined. Both are important, but I think technical ability is more essential to hip hop. It took me about 2 seconds to think of a technical song and like an hour to find a sufficiently non-technical, very lyrical song. That said, skewing too technical you lose all meaning. You skew too far away from technical, though, and people start to question whether you're making hip hop (ie Death Grips).

My favorite songs have a healthy dose of both, but probably lean lyrically if a compromise has to be made:
Blu - Amnesia
Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me

HiiiLife

^^^good shit breh. Definitely helped answer my question (along with the examples as well). I personally feel Logic (no hate to the fans in here, I dig his tapes) falls closer to the whole "yeah I can rap, and I can rap well" technical field but I'd be lying if I said the shit he was saying was memorable/or the message he was conveying resonated with me...compared to kendricks sing about me. Which I love.

I can't remember what rapper said it, but he said some shit about you could be fancy rhyming the most words in a sentence and you still won't be saying shit. Dunno why that stuck with me.

Idk. They both confuse me lol.

This was a really easy question until I thought about it. I was an English major in undergrad, but I'll be honest and say I'm not any good at evaluating technical aspects of poems/raps. I've always considered myself more of a "lyrical" than "technical" guy, but they can be hard to separate at times.

Like, wordplay is a quality of meaning rather than sound but in a way it's also a technical skill. You could make a song consisting entirely of puns with nothing tying it all together in terms of meaning and in that sense it'd be kind of a technical ability. And then with being "lyrical" is a song lyrical if it can tell a good story or evoke an emotional response even if it lacks vocabulary/metaphors (something like They Reminisce Over You)? But good vocab doesn't necessarily make something lyrical - if you look at it from a technical point of view having more words to draw from makes it easier to rhyme.

Where does flow fit?

I'm trying to think of songs that skew heavily one way or the other

Technical, but not necessarily lyrical: Madvillainy - Meat Grinder

Lyrical, not necessarily technical: Earl Sweatshirt - Sunday (ft. Frank Ocean) (Parts of it are kinda technical but overall, especially Frank's part, I would say skew the other way)
Death Grips - Beware (if you count it)

They're both kind of intertwined. Both are important, but I think technical ability is more essential to hip hop. It took me about 2 seconds to think of a technical song and like an hour to find a sufficiently non-technical, very lyrical song. That said, skewing too technical you lose all meaning. You skew too far away from technical, though, and people start to question whether you're making hip hop (ie Death Grips).

My favorite songs have a healthy dose of both, but probably lean lyrically if a compromise has to be made:
Blu - Amnesia
Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me

Yeah Kendrick does a really good job at combining the two. The second verse from Institutionalized comes to mind.
Fuck am I 'posed to do when I'm lookin' at walkin' licks?
The constant big money talk 'bout the mansion and foreign whips
The private jets and passport, presidential glass floor
Gold bottles, gold models, sniffin' up the ass for
Instagram flicks, suckin dick, fuck is this?
One more sucker wavin' wit a flashy wrist
My defense, mechanism tell me to get him
Quickly because he got it
It's a recession, then why the fuck he at King of Diamonds?
No more livin' poor, meet my four-four
When I see 'em, put the per diem on the floor
Now Kendrick, know they're your co-workers
But it's gon' take a lot for this pistol go cold turkey
Now I can watch his watch on the TV and be okay
But see I'm on the clock once that watch landin' in LA
Remember steal from the rich and givin' it back to the poor?
Well that's me at these awards
I guess my grandmama was warnin' a boy
She said...

especially those middle bars.

Kwixotik

^^^good shit breh. Definitely helped answer my question (along with the examples as well). I personally feel Logic (no hate to the fans in here, I dig his tapes) falls closer to the whole "yeah I can rap, and I can rap well" technical field but I'd be lying if I said the shit he was saying was memorable/or the message he was conveying resonated with me...compared to kendricks sing about me. Which I love.

I can't remember what rapper said it, but he said some shit about you could be fancy rhyming the most words in a sentence and you still won't be saying shit. Dunno why that stuck with me.

Idk. They both confuse me lol.

If you want to simplify it as much as possible, think about it like this. If somebody was rapping to you in a foreign language you didn't know, you'd probably be able to tell if they were technically proficient because being technically good is mostly about the sounds of words. You don't have to know what he's saying to hear that he's got a lot of rhymes and alliteration (so i said suck a sad slob's scrotum) or assonance (vowel repetition like I bomb atomically—Socrates’ philosophies and hypotheses can’t define how I be droppin’ these mockeries.”) That sound quality defines technical skill.

Whereas if somebody rapped "nigga im the shit, get the fuck up out my toilet" (Lil Wayne and his poop metaphors) in a foreign language you wouldn't understand it. Lyrical quality is stuff like metaphors or imagery that require you to understand the meaning of the words to appreciate.

Being able to do both effectively at the same time is what makes most of the GOAT contenders what they are, takes serious skill and effort. It's not THAT hard to write some extremely rhymey shit that doesn't make any sense or write a long extended metaphor about some deep shit that doesn't have any internal rhyme. Doing the best of both though...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Eminem in 2015 is still a technically proficient rapper. He can rap words and make them work that others don't think of he.

Eminem in 2015 writes lyrics like "I guess that's why they call it window pane." He is not lyrical. When I think of lyric now, I think of Lupe on Prisoner 1&2, where he tells a complete story without falling off into preaching, or Kendrick's Sing About Me, where he's telling a story using the power of music. K.Dot isn't rapping on some lyrical miracle empircal evidence stuff, he's using conversational lyricism to tell a story that people from all walks of life can relate to.

Crud

Banned

Chance deserves it. He took the L. Talking all that shit about something he never saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom