• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dre has missed more than he's hit. I think perception is skewed because when he hits, it's a home run. Snoop, Em, 50, Game, Kendrick. But for each success there are five failures. RBX, Bishop Lamont, G.A.G.E., Hittman, Truth Hurts, The Last Emperor, Slim Da Mobster, etc. Not to mention the established artists who couldn't even release an album through him - Eve, Rakim, Raekwon, etc.

At most of those people could rap. This dude sounds atrocious on the mic and I doubt ghostwriters can fix that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he never releases a project on Aftermath.

Detox

Kendrick been in motion for a long time tho. I wouldnt expect much out of this kid since he a recent find of Dre.
Idk this the kid DOC signed when he left Dre during the whole kush, I need a doctor, detox is coming fiasco.

I just hope this album doesn't turn into dre presents aftermath..

Cheddahz

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=rC78XPGS3ss

ay48zzn.gif

When did Courage start rapping?

I saw a really long article on Hitman a while ago that I can't find now, but didn't he take a bit of a break after 2001 because he was burnt out and then returned to find Dre pissed at him? Like he had an album ready to go but Dre refused to release it (perhaps sensibly, as Hittman's career had lost a critical bit of traction by that point)

Somebody compiled all the Adult Swim bump music into a spotify playlist. like 35 fuckin hrs.

https://play.spotify.com/user/atomstrange/playlist/7yyR7yR4VgveAPqWPYYCVn

gonna be playing this at work for weeks.

how funny is it gonna be when this kid Renegades Kendrick. actually that's probably the plan
2an4d.png

game been peeped dre.
Thanks for the link. Saved.

Edit: omg hit shuffle and the first song that plays is great and I've never heard of them.

Meadowhall At Last! By Grass cut.

I saw a really long article on Hitman a while ago that I can't find now, but didn't he take a bit of a break after 2001 because he was burnt out and then returned to find Dre pissed at him? Like he had an album ready to go but Dre refused to release it (perhaps sensibly, as Hittman's career had lost a critical bit of traction by that point)

I remember that. The funny thing is that truth be told, Dre wasn't going to release it anyway (based on his behavior over the last 10 years). He's been crippled by self doubt hidden under a guise of "perfection" for a decade.

Someone on The Coli just pointed out that nearly every Detox leak sounds like 2001 era Dre, which is basically what 50 Cent's debut was. He never moved past that. His attempts to branch out were utter trash - remember this? scust.

Someone on The Coli just pointed out that nearly every Detox leak sounds like 2001 era Dre, which is basically what 50 Cent's debut was. He never moved past that. His attempts to branch out were utter trash - remember this? scust.

Remember this one?
Ludacris - OG's Theme (Dr. Dre Reference)

I think Dre got too deep into the project and couldn't see what was good or what wasn't.

I wouldn't have minded this song though: Eminem - Syllables With Lyrics! (Feat Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Stat Quo, and Ca$hi$)

Furyous

I remember that. The funny thing is that truth be told, Dre wasn't going to release it anyway (based on his behavior over the last 10 years). He's been crippled by self doubt hidden under a guise of "perfection" for a decade.

I'm not about to sit here and let y'all slander Under Pressure. The linked youtube version is a good 10 seconds slower than the actual version. I know because I "discovered" the original version via "sources" at the time. Hov always helped Dre. Remember he ghostwrote Still DRE.

It's unfuckingbelievable we never got Detox. Dre really turned in his version of Chinese Democracy. Let's imagine if the New England Patriots never played on Sunday.

I just listened to Wanna Know again.

You know, the first part (up until the second skit and beat switch) isn't that bad. He couldn't enunciate worth a shit and the mastering was off (this shit needed an EP badly) but the bars weren't bad.

But that second part is tragic. I don't know how he thought a "platinum errthang" bar was gonna fly when the cat he's dissing makes Meek's entire net worth in two months.

I don't curr what nobody says, gimme an album full of THIS and I'll bump it till the end of time.

SLAPS

I love how all of Dre's weedboys bob their head simultaneously.

Can't front tho that shit is hard

Huh do you mean 2001 the album or 2001 the year? 2001 the album sounds a lot more sample-heavy than 50's first album. Probably why it's aged a lot better tbh. The synths of that era sound really dated now :/

I imagine a sample-heavy Dre album released now would still sound good. But stuff like I Need A Doctor really doesn't inspire confidence..

Huh do you mean 2001 the album or 2001 the year? 2001 the album sounds a lot more sample-heavy than 50's first album. Probably why it's aged a lot better tbh. The synths of that era sound really dated now :/

I imagine a sample-heavy Dre album released now would still sound good. But stuff like I Need A Doctor really doesn't inspire confidence..

It'd have been cool if he just quietly dropped it in the itunes store without any hype, with dusty as fuck beats, and just had the best rappers in his rolodex doing their best on that. Screw calling it Detox, just release a fun album quietly so it's not subject to hype.

Both albums have a lot of hard drums, piano melodies (Mike Elizondo), strings, heavy basslines, and the other things associated with the Chronic 2001 sound though. The Dre produced stuff like If I Can't, In Da Club, and Back Down could easily be on Chronic 2001 sonically. I agree GRODT has corny synths though, which is different from Chronic 2001.

DominoKid

It'd have been cool if he just quietly dropped it in the itunes store without any hype, with dusty as fuck beats, and just had the best rappers in his rolodex doing their best on that. Screw calling it Detox, just release a fun album quietly so it's not subject to hype.

Psssssh. Apple aint give him all that money to let him release an album quietly.

Esch

Banned
The best in the studio beat drop reaction still remains when Timbo showed Jay (what would become) Dirt off Your Shoulder.

This mafucka got out the chair like he just caught the Holy Ghost. Timbo's fat ass bopping in the background with a jug of fruit punch and a banana.

This seems weird at first but Jay does this every time he hears a beat he likes.

Go to about 2:30 here and Pain in Da Ass explains it

It's kinda creepy when you first see it. He looks like a crack addict or something.
zIESfoh.png

illadelph

HOVA has to psychologically ingest the essence of the instrumental before his divine cogitation can be manifested in the physical world in the form of spoken language

illadelph

the Reasonable Doubt doc is really insightful; the only single downside to it is that some songs are strangely ignored altogether (22 Two's for example)

DominoKid

That doc is so dope, I haven't seen it in years. Dunno why Hov didn't just have artists do album documentaries as Tidal exclusives. Gotta give people something exclusive beyond timed exclusive songs.

cause that's a waste of money and a lot of time for something people only gonna watch once on youtube anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom