• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned

IrishNinja

DJ Khaled

tumblr_lnr7r38rEe1qms0szo1_500.gif

more like the Iron Bank.

niggas need features & songs written for 'em.

waiting for the inevitable "Justus had the best verses on the album" post in the official album thread.

I hope he drops the N-word. Kendricks looks at him, but then Dre looks at KDOT like "whats the problem homie" and KDot falls back. Gon have Kendrick lookin' like Nas defending Gwyneth Paltrow in interviews.

2muchTruth4me

Hittman was pretty dope on 2001.

i liked a few Last Emperor tracks too, yeah

Never really liked the beat to Dirt Off Your Shoulder tbh. And I usually like Timbaland.

for real? like most of black album, that beat just...like you can feel it
early

Both albums have a lot of hard drums, piano melodies (Mike Elizondo), strings, heavy basslines, and the other things associated with the Chronic 2001 sound though. The Dre produced stuff like If I Can't, In Da Club, and Back Down could easily be on Chronic 2001 sonically. I agree GRODT has corny synths though, which is different from Chronic 2001.

yeah, but GRODT's production was still the nicest gift 50's ever had, and he's rich

I've gone down the rabbit hole of Detox studio footage.

The amount of heat these guys have stashed in the vault must be insane. From this little Snoop documentary alone, featuring Quik, Battlecat, DJ Pooh, DOC, etc. etc.

https://youtu.be/Jtqpq7x1Vdk?t=222
https://youtu.be/Jtqpq7x1Vdk?t=314
https://youtu.be/Jtqpq7x1Vdk?t=623
https://youtu.be/DdhG04n4m9Q?t=228

Why are they hoarding this stuff man (;_;)

Good lord there are some crunchy tunes in there.

Not up on dem DJ Quik synths, but the breakdown at 10:22 was :mjcry:

pls dre

Don't do this to yallselves.

98% of those beats have been passed onto other artists or won't see the light of day (at least until Dre dies and Apple opens the vault for profit).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It really hasn't hit me yet that were essentially getting a Detox project in a few days.

We all know Detox itself doesn't exist anymore so I'm way past judging it in relation to something (especially considering it will be loosely related to the film), but man I hope it's good. It's just this weird place where it can never be as good as we want it to be, and will feel disappointing/subpar even if it is good. If it's too left, Dre has lost his way, if it's too familiar (I.e. Kush, which IMO sounds way better now than when it came out) then he can't move on and is stuck in the past.

Who knows how many different sounds and styles he has gone through while in the hyperbolic time chamber. Battling a great legacy is rough on any artist.

HabeeNo

I posted it, but it deserves a repost. I love it. He's killing it lately between Say It and the Cruel Intentions EP.

Glad that he got signed also. Hopefully he gets a quality debut out.

Sorry, I didn't check your post before D:

First time I hear this guy, stumbled when listening to OVO's soundcloud and I was forced to repeat the track lol

Any other similar records? This sound is really chill

Nibel

Wished Dre would just say 'fuck it' and at least release some instrumentals album like he planned. And now we get a new album called 'Compton' with some white teenager from Texas on it. BTW, always thought 'Popped Off' had a great vibe to it. 'Kush' was alright as well, but shit like 'I need a doctor'? Nah

Fjordson

Sorry, I didn't check your post before D:

First time I hear this guy, stumbled when listening to OVO's soundcloud and I was forced to repeat the track lol

Any other similar records? This sound is really chill
Check out his Cruel Intentions EP and his Lost Cause mixtape from last year.

The new Roy Wood$ EP is also pretty good. Not exactly the same, but not terribly far off from Lanez.

Detox

L from the beef goes to the whole MMG, we knew they were just a bunch of WWE frauds but they really didn't ride for Meek at all.

IrishNinja

ive been listening to a lot of redman recently... why isn't he up there in the GOAT discussion?

One of my favorites of all time. Also one of the most underrated.

Whut Thee Album --> Dare Iz A Darkside --> Muddy Waters --> Doc's Da Name 2000 --> El Niño --> Blackout! --> Malpractice

What a crazy run of albums

Kampsy and I are super Redman fans. I feel alone.

You're not

Top 5 imo

+1
wrecker's got doc's da name 2000 (and el nino/blackout are kinda separate for me but damn they're great) a little low for me but yeah, top 10 easily, if not 5

L from the beef goes to the whole MMG, we knew they were just a bunch of WWE frauds but they really didn't ride for Meek at all.

i mean, agreed, but...what all did you expect them to do, really? ross weighed in for a second, for what that's worth

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I still don't like TPAB much, but after seeing that video where the people are chanting Alright at the police, it's clear that it's a good thing the album exists in the mainstream consciousness.

Never really liked the beat to Dirt Off Your Shoulder tbh. And I usually like Timbaland.

Courage. Come in and have a seat. Your friends and three crackheads we found in the alley behind Fatburger are concerned about you.

Is anyone actually interested in Straight Outta Compton? Shit looks far too cynical and fake for me. I understand that films like this always play loose with facts, but Dre claiming the film is in part about the group's love/respect for women was too much for me. I'm still amazed at how many women Dre has beaten the shit out of without consequence, especially in light of Cosby getting murked without any physical evidence out there (I'm not saying Cosby is innocent - he clearly is guilty), for stuff that happened 30+ years ago.

Nibel

Guess people 'expect' something like this from someone like Dre and were surprised when Bill 'father of the nation' Cosby was accused of doing his shit.

And I think the scale of Cosby's actions is way bigger. Not only that but the way he did those crimes was systematic while I think a lot of the shit Dre did was not always something he planned.

Both are scumbags, but I can see why Cosby's case is bigger than what Dre did. Besides, beating women and raping women is still two pairs of shoes to many people.

Yea I see why Cosby's behavior is bigger, given the systematic abuses he made over decades. But no has anything to say about Dre, even as he moves up the corporate ladder.

Courage

Yea I see why Cosby's behavior is bigger, given the systematic abuses he made over decades. But no has anything to say about Dre, even as he moves up the corporate ladder.

I feel like it'll bite him eventually. We saw what happened with Cosby, nothing happened until years later.

And let's face it, we're still at a stage where we got a long way to go with domestic violence.

Kreed

Is anyone actually interested in Straight Outta Compton? Shit looks far too cynical and fake for me. I understand that films like this always play loose with facts, but Dre claiming the film is in part about the group's love/respect for women was too much for me. I'm still amazed at how many women Dre has beaten the shit out of without consequence, especially in light of Cosby getting murked without any physical evidence out there (I'm not saying Cosby is innocent - he clearly is guilty), for stuff that happened 30+ years ago.

We'll have to wait for Hannibal Buress to do a comedy skit.

Detox

I think the movie will be very dope. They are going to fudge up reality but I expect it to capture the a spirit of the west coast in that era and I'm more interested in that then keeping it strictly based on facts.

I feel like it'll bite him eventually. We saw what happened with Cosby, nothing happened until years later.

And let's face it, we're still at a stage where we got a long way to go with domestic violence.

I feel like it'll come out due to the movie/album but difference is Dre went to jail and hasn't had other incidents since his early domestic violence as far as we know.

From the new Chief Keef

Call me Sosa Subzero I'm the man with the Big Glo
Call me Sosa Liu Kang I'm the man with the kicks on
Call me Sosa Budokai I'm the nigga with the Dragon Ball
Call me Sosa Yu Gi Oh I'm the nigga with the dragon card

bakura_dancing_by_fantasylover64-d52shz0.gif

new gen rap about that anime life, but can gaf relate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom