• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, yall think Meek sent shooters after Drake?

I doubt it but 2 people getting shot and killed with 3 more wounded at the OVOFest after party is crazy, considering Drake and Ye were there (at some point).

Nibel

I doubt it but 2 people getting shot and killed with 3 more wounded at the OVOFest after party is crazy, considering Drake and Ye were there (at some point).

Nope, there has been a shooting last year as well.

People are just crazy, nothing more. Bad timing

illadelph

giphy.gif

Wasn't there a shooting at an OVO after party 1-2 years ago too? I doubt it. If there's any Meek connection it would be some bitter Philly stan taking things into his own hands.

That being said it seems like the only way Meek can respond now is through the streets. Having someone slap up Drake and steal his chain for instance. Rap wise he can't say shit.

Some Pitchfork editor ethering Drake

"It’s funny that Drake has doubled down on his anti-Internet thing, because Drake is the master of working your angles, the selfie strategy of the twitter honeys he takes arbitrary pot-shots at throughout If You’re Reading This Its Too Late. (And I absolutely think it is significant that, on this album, living this aspirational simulacrum Tumblr life, or whatever, is generally characterized as feminine.) Drake is no longer the living meme, the LOOK AT HIS SWEATER guy, that he was even two years ago. But he represents what the internet represents: the possibility to make yourself into whoever you want to be, if you stack your cards right. Drake is every NYC media bro who had an okay, if unremarkable, high school experience, didn’t lose his virginity til he was 18, considers himself a nerdy underdog, moves to the big city, and undertakes a years-long personal brand makeover, in which he projects signifiers of cool for long enough and with enough study that one day, almost imperceptively, he becomes cool—and once he realizes it, he is intoxicated with power.

And shyt—I can relate to that! But that does not make it any more interesting or worthy of further exploration than those Been Trill shirts with all the logos on them circa 2013, which is to say, a bunch of symbols stripped of the thing they symbolize. A bunch of women’s names that you have woven into your story for the purpose of having a story to tell.

Drake used to pine for the 21st century Thot Pangaea that is “Houstatlantavegas.” Now he is Mr. Toronto and is making “The 6” a thing and has, I guess, been that guy all along, he and his woes, since way before hashtags. Two years ago, we would have ripped him to shreds for this kind of thing, like we did when he said that he started from the bottom. Nobody cares anymore. Whatever man, just keep making great-sounding music (and If You’re Reading This is great-sounding, as a total package, there is very little denying this) and you can be whoever you say you are, “6 God.”

But Drake, as a character, has become (or has revealed himself to have always been) one of the most boring types of people on earth: a composite of aspirational projections that has taken control of his host body. Don’t get me wrong, this will in no way prevent me from stomping through Bed Stuy with “10 Bands” on repeat with the thizz face on 1000. But let’s stop conflating “good” and “special.” And let’s stop entertaining dude’s bizarre Neo-Luddisms that he has convinced himself are deeper than “bytches be like [this]“ memes. “And show me pictures of they frieeeends / Just to tell me they ain’t really frieeeends”: kinda sounds like the Cliff’s Notes version of a Drake song, now that I think about it."
http://3lc3lc3lc.tumblr.com/post/111307498427/if-ur-reading-this-thanks-for-stopping-by-friend

What we've been saying for years lol. I give him his props for murking Meek but dude is still that insecure kid who no one gave a fuck about in HS and now won't let anyone forget it.

But Drake, as a character, has become (or has revealed himself to have always been) one of the most boring types of people on earth: a composite of aspirational projections that has taken control of his host body.

savage

BlackJace

Drake is every NYC media bro who had an okay, if unremarkable, high school experience, didn’t lose his virginity til he was 18, considers himself a nerdy underdog, moves to the big city, and undertakes a years-long personal brand makeover, in which he projects signifiers of cool for long enough and with enough study that one day, almost imperceptively, he becomes cool—and once he realizes it, he is intoxicated with power.

vrpfMw5.gif

Oblivion

Esch

Banned
the irony of a pitchfork employee talking about the internet's ability to exert authority and nullify notions of authenticity

and other people having a constructed identity

a publication filled with holier than thou neckbeards that probably started listening to rap in 2008 and got beat up for wearing Animal Collective teeshirts

1vhTr62.gif

the irony of a pitchfork employee talking about the internet's ability to exert authority and nullify notions of authenticity

a publication filled with people that probably started listening to rap in 2008

1vhTr62.gif
DFNUj78.png

let em live Esch lmao. just for today.

Nibel

a publication filled with holier than thou neckbeards that probably started listening to rap in 2008 and got beat up for wearing Animal Collective teeshirts

1vhTr62.gif

Basically

BTW, the true rapgod just dropped a new single

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Growing Up (Sloane's Song) feat. Ed Sheeran

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some Pitchfork editor ethering Drake

http://3lc3lc3lc.tumblr.com/post/111307498427/if-ur-reading-this-thanks-for-stopping-by-friend

What we've been saying for years lol. I give him his props for murking Meek but dude is still that insecure kid who no one gave a fuck about in HS and now won't let anyone forget it.
Damn this is ruthless.

Drake is anti-internet though? What? Seems like kind of a weird premise to set this writer off TBH. Let's not forget that SFG pretty much brought blogs to the forefront of hip-hop media when it premiered. That was the exact moment XXL and stuff got left in the dust.

Also AR-Ab starting his PR tour. LOL he hasn't been signed.

1vhTr62.gif

Everyone has to start somewhere.
jY89NGs.png

Fjordson

It's pretty early for me so I'm probably missing something, but I'm not really sure what she's saying that's a revelation. Part of Drake's persona is manufactured? Or changes to follow his career? That he didn't really start from the bottom? What a twist.

BlackJace

It's pretty early for me so I'm probably missing something, but I'm not really sure what she's saying that's a revelation. Part of Drake's persona is manufactured? Or changes to follow his career? That he didn't really start from the bottom? What a twist.

Maybe it's just that no one seems interested in actually discussing it? This whole beef just shows how little anyone seems to truly give a damn about his persona outside of the "drakethetype" crowd.

Nibel

I was about to post how inactive Esch is these days but damn

Probably just mad cuz someone related to Drake declined some request tbh

BTW: Ghostface Killah isn't really a killer and 50 Cent doesn't run NY

nobody really gives a damn about niggas being fake tbh. Remember when they started talking about Rick Ross being a CO instead of a drug kingpin, then he deined it? And then the rumors turned out to be true and then he denied he denied it? He didn't release any diss records or nothing, nobody cared. Teflon Don still went gold the next year anyway.

Authenticity is nice, but the only thing matters is if your music bangs or not. Drake is more phony than American cheese, but that won't stop niggas from running through the 6s with their woes.

Fjordson

Maybe it's just that no one seems interested in actually discussing it? This whole beef just shows how little anyone seems to truly give a damn about his persona outside of the "drakethetype" crowd.
I guess I can see that. Though it seemed like she was trying to dig something up and present it as new. I mean the guy was wheelchair Jimmy before any of his music...anyone paying attention knows all this. Not that there aren't fans who buy into all of it wholesale, but practically every major entertainment star ever was idolized by a certain subsection of fans.

I dunno, like I said I'm probably missing the point of her post.

this is the person talking about constructed identities and drake's image reinvention
YN2skak.png

a gunplay burzum shirt
YN2skak.png

incredible
YN2skak.png
uxelfEP.png

HiResDes

Meaghan Garvey gave DS2 BNM so it's all good.

Meaghan Garvey is one of their worst reviewers.

Garvey's Barter 6 Review said:
More than anything, Barter 6 feels like a 50-minute performance of what rap, as a form, can do: rap that need not transcend itself, towards High Art on one hand or commercial art on the other, in order to succeed in 2015. Thug’s rapping itself, known for its unpredictability, is sharper than ever; his voice feels clarified, strengthened. Take "Halftime", the most thrilling technical display here, on which Thug seamlessly snaps into a dozen different flows: casually extending the second syllable of "re-cy-cles" so that it threatens to throw the song off track entirely, pausing a beat, unleashing a quick guffaw, snapping back on beat. It's an almost-reckless balance-beam routine. He pauses only for an ingenious vocoder breakdown that melts his cries of "Havin’ the time of my muhfuckin’ liiiiiife" into semiotic ooze, suddenly giving the blood-red backdrop of the cover art an almost Lynchian cast, like the velveteen Black Lodge interior.

Esch

Banned
DFNUj78.png

let em live Esch lmao. just for today.

Nah man, nah. That got me heated. You know im no drizzy stanley like any decent human being but these NYC publication hipsters are the WORST, worst. You must have seriously not a single iota of self awareness to talk greasy about other peoples personalities and switching up their style if you write for a culture vulture publication that we know aren't exactly a group of heads and write things like this:

meaghan cacvey said:
“bound 2” as a song alone, in the context of “yeezus” is a beautiful dark twisted track in addition to being a total troll move. it’s “they say they miss the old ‘ye, girl don’t tempt me” but, because he is kanye and not drake, he sees it through: “oh you like humble soul-sample kanye? lol, here.” “bound 2” is many things: it’s hugging it out after the crazy when the drugs are wearing off; it’s a winking, back-handed gift to those who turned away after “graduation”; it’s a pure expression of love; it’s a fucked up expression of how love isn’t pure.

so OBBBBBBVIOUSLY this video was gonna be sly as fuck, that much was a given. and especially given kanye’s recent confederate flag merch stunt, this seems stunningly obvious: “bound 2” appropriates american romanticism in the same way that yeezus tour shirts appropriate (which, here, is too gentle of a word i think—pillage, really) the confederate flag. (i find the flag thing genius, for what it’s worth, if a bit clumsier in actuality than it is in concept.) there’s this awful trend that’s become really prevalent in recent years—of which i’ve totally been guilty, many times, i’m embarrassed to admit—of white people distancing themselves from the “really white” white people by identifying so-called “white shit”: you know, pumpkin spice lattes, uggs, whole foods. not only this abhorrent by assuming that god knows a black person would never have an interest in bourgie organic food (thus further “other”-ing the “other” from afar), but the “white shit” is always so fucking benign; it’s a lot harder to self-identify, even deprecatingly so, with idiotic redneck kitsch (to which the “bound 2” video is clearly nodding) than with a fucking seasonal starbucks muffin. the video is a representation of yeezus’ most powerful ideals—he’s already fucked your hampton’s spouse, and now he’s cumming on your suburban ass spouse’s precious moments figures and thomas kinkade lighthouse collection coasters and apple pie scented yankee candle. it’s jeff koons if jeff koons had anything socio-politically relevant to say beyond pointing at kitsch (which is cool too). and what’s most hilarious is that by and large, viewers are immediately revolted by the crass imagery they’re seeing, not recognizing it as their own. in a way, the video is more anarchist than “yeezus” altogether because it presents itself as harmless.

this is rap in 2015. people stumbling over themselves to put the cape on for a fraud nickelodeon rapper, said fraud nickelodeon rapper using internet memes during his live diss track performance, and people like this chick standing on a ground to speak publically on him being a fake cornball.

Dom59zk.gif

Daria

Just pressed play on Bang 3 for the first listen through, will report back later.

but fr fr, somebody link me to that drake(?) and meek(?) boyz n the hood ricky shotgun gif pls. i think I saw that somewhere here

Esch

Banned
Reading through that chick's tumblr... Disgusting. Feels like i just dived into a pool of organic free-range egg mayonnaise poorly disguised with Crystal hot sauce. Like someone served me fried chicken with a side of pureed kale. Like I walked into a Kanye giftshop in Williamsburg.

Gonna have to cue up some Shabazz the Disciple and X-Raided to cleanse myself of this filth

wlNSP.gif

Fjordson

Reading through that chick's tumblr... Disgusting. Feels like i just dived into a pool of organic free-range egg mayonnaise poorly disguised with Crystal hot sauce. Like someone served me fried chicken with a side of pureed kale. Like I walked into a Kanye giftshop in Williamsburg.
damn.png
damn.png
damn.png

edit: this is tangentially related at best, but wow at some of the responses in the Mafia 3 reveal thread related to the protagonist being black. Somewhat reminiscent of talk about "relating" to CJ when GTA: San Andreas was revealed.

overcast

this is rap in 2015. people stumbling over themselves to put the cape on for a fraud nickelodeon rapper, said fraud nickelodeon rapper using internet memes during his live diss track performance, and people like this chick standing on a ground to speak publically on him being a fake cornball.
Holy fuck. 💀💀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom