• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

tired, weeded out performance? Man, that sucks if that was your impression.

Dude was nothin' but hype when I saw him earlier in the year.

I can kind of see Q upstaging K.R.I.T.. Only if the venue had more Q fans than K.R.I.T. fans.

overcast

Just curious, Q and Danny both have "debuts" as in they'll be available at Best Buy and shit? On that mainstream level? I don't want that shitty TDE copy like some had for HnC.

CRS

Just curious, Q and Danny both have "debuts" as in they'll be available at Best Buy and shit? On that mainstream level? I don't want that shitty TDE copy like some had for HnC.

Yes.

Q through Interscope (and Top Dawg) and Danny Brown has always had his music released through Fool's Gold but will be widely available now.

PBY

Banned
They'll do the same numbers as Rocky. Maybe less.

Probably. Kendrick's success won't have much bearing on the rest of TDE- it will def help, but there was definitely a right place/time/Dre cosign factor that all came together perfectly for Kendrick.

cacophony

a1ea6f9a570611e28a7322000a1fa414_6.jpg

did rozay make him put him on his cover loL

CRS

If anything, his image will help him, not deter him from getting big.

Look at Trinidad Jame$ and his image.

Macca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHfWY0is3rE (kind of)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFj7VUe950

?

He's called a hybrid for a reason. He's more than just his high pitched voice. I think Danny mentioned that this album was a little more serious than his previous works so it might be more in line with the second song I posted.
Oh, I totally know. But it seems like his "default" style is now his high pitched stuff. I like it, and his more normal voiced stuff.

(Party All The Time is probably in my top 3 XXX songs.)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Spent all day getting a dragon on my forearm, wrapping all the way around to cover my entire forearm. I'm not too ashamed to say there were some moments where I was in excruciating pain. And my mp3 player died so I couldn't get all hyped up on some fight music while it was going on.

OG Kush

Anyone know any good Gym mixes? Shit that just gets you hyped as FUCK! You know that shit that makes you want to hustle, push you further but at the same time punch some in the face.

GatorBait

I've met so many people who think Swimming Pools is a shots song, then I tell them to listen to the lyrics. A day later they're like "oh man I had no idea!"

What's the alternate meaning? I have some ideas, but Kendrick has straight-up said:

This song is about me reminising about my years a kid witnessing a housing that indulged adults in alcohol. So much alcohol that it could fill a swimming pool.Eventually that me reminising became a reality when i became an adult.

Depends on how you see big.

For me it'd take a miracle for him to become big w/o toning down certain aspects of his image.

Pretty much. I think some of yall are forgetting that Danny Brown is signed to an independent label not a major label like Q and such. I think Danny Brown could do really well for an underground rapper
dreamchasers-3-500x500.png

this doesn't have ross face on it lol

Macca

Pretty much. I think some of yall are forgetting that Danny Brown is signed to an independent label not a major label like Q and such. I think Danny Brown could do really well for an underground rapper
dreamchasers-3-500x500.png

this doesn't have ross face on it lol
And it's still not as good as the covers of DC1 and 2.

I don't think Danny Brown is ever going to make it big, TBH.
He'll be big in underground shows, he'll do festivals, get good reviews from Pitchfork, hipster chicks love him...but I don't see him being on the radio or selling records. Maybe if he was younger he'd have time to fuck around on top of the scene before getting a major label deal.

It's not a bad thing, he is what he is. He did great with no album this year, which could have easily not happened. 2012 was so big on Molly and other shit that not having an album could have left him behind, but he got ahead with some dope features and the popular Grown Up video.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
what do people think about Future? I'm listening to Pluto and its pretty great

It's garbage. Future is garbage. And he should be put in the same box with keef, montana, and nicki and sunk into the Marianas trench so no evidence of them are allowed to exist.

He'll be big in underground shows, he'll do festivals, get good reviews from Pitchfork, hipster chicks love him...but I don't see him being on the radio or selling records. Maybe if he was younger he'd have time to fuck around on top of the scene before getting a major label deal.

It's not a bad thing, he is what he is. He did great with no album this year, which could have easily not happened. 2012 was so big on Molly and other shit that not having an album could have left him behind, but he got ahead with some dope features and the popular Grown Up video.

Des?

Danny will never be big. He will be a underground dude for life.

Only started listening to him. His verse on the Iron Fists soundtrack was sick. Dudes talented no doubt, would def go see him live. Would love to see him succeed. The underground lane seems to be treating him well. Looking forward to his album!!

CRS

^^^ Okay, so maybe my definition of underground is screwed up? To me, he's an independent hip-hop artist.

He is though. Hes know here and on the net but thats it. I wouldnt have heard of him besides his Iron Fists verse, probably wouldnt have checked his stuff without des post with his best features.
What do you consider to be "underground"?

His music is being sold, goes on tour, is featured on a variety of albums (including major label albums and motion picture soundtracks), and gets attention from not just hip-hop blogs, but general music blogs as well.

What does it mean to be "underground" today?

thabiz

The landscape has changed drastically with the internet. Just cause hes blogged about and tours doesn't mean hes not underground.

The vast majority of people have never heard of him. Only the heads know.

In the past he would be the dude giving his tapes away at shows.

Danny will never be big. He will be a underground dude for life.
Yo hold up. How YOU gone say this but back when we were talking about how there aren't really any NY rappers that will be big you started naming Roc Marciano, Ka, joey badass etc etc. Sorry just thought it was funny

thabiz

Yo hold up. How YOU gone say this but back when we were talking about how there aren't really any NY rappers that will be big you started naming Roc Marciano, Ka, joey badass etc etc. Sorry just thought it was funny

Danny is too weird for the masses. Based on his lyrics, he will never get radio play beyond the college stations.

Weird can sell though.

And id consider underground to be rappers that the mainstream dont know about, or have never had any real exposure i guess. Danny qualifies. A lot of my friends dont get too deep into rap and know the usual suspects.

And they have no idea who Danny is. Pretty sure hes not on a major either.

CRS

The landscape has changed drastically with the internet. Just cause hes blogged about and tours doesn't mean hes not underground.

The vast majority of people have never heard of him. Only the heads know.

I can understand that up to a point. The internet is considered the new local scene where only they know about the artist.

But the internet, specifically music sites like your 2DopeBoyz and Pitchfork, reaches such a vast amount of people that I find it hard to think of Danny as an underground artist.

Danny is too weird for the masses. Based on his lyrics, he will never get radio play beyond the college stations.
Not really. Each of his albums have those more radio friendly stuff in the 2nd half. Those songs won't be nowhere near as censored. He would just have to clean his image (teeth up) but ain't no one checking for them NY artist either way

Plus what 36 chambers said. Weird can sell and when it does it sells a shit ton

thabiz

Weird can sell though.

And id consider underground to be rappers that the mainstream dont know about, or have never had any real exposure i guess. Danny qualifies. A lot of my friends dont get too deep into rap and know the usual suspects.

And they have no idea who Danny is. Pretty sure hes not on a major either.

Manufactured weird can sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom