• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earl gets crazy love from dope producers. I like the idea of him taking his time and dropping a solid album. Personally I'm not a fan but there's no doubt he can rap his ass off.

I agree about ASAP though. He seems to have failed to get anyone's attention with Goldie, outside of the internet, and then the label forced the Holy Trinity Effect on him. For those who aren't familiar, the Holy Trinity Effect is when an artist isn't popping, so his label dishes out the cash to get 3 of the top rappers in the game on his single. This typically means Wayne, Ross, Drake, and Two Chainz. See: French Montana, Game.

Given the time period the single was released, ASAP's label made a slight amendment and added Kendrick instead of Ross.

HiResDes

Earl gets crazy love from dope producers. I like the idea of him taking his time and dropping a solid album. Personally I'm not a fan but there's no doubt he can rap his ass off.

I agree about ASAP though. He seems to have failed to get anyone's attention with Goldie, outside of the internet, and then the label forced the Holy Trinity Effect on him. For those who aren't familiar, the Holy Trinity Effect is when an artist isn't popping, so his label dishes out the cash to get 3 of the top rappers in the game on his single. This typically means Wayne, Ross, Drake, and Two Chainz. See: French Montana, Game.

Given the time period the single was released, ASAP's label made a slight amendment and added Kendrick instead of Ross.

I can't tell if this is a real thing, because it sounds entirely plausible, or if you're fucking with me.

3rd World Hustla - Shit Goes For Realla

PBY

Banned
Might make this a new thing I do from time to time.

TRAP AND IGNORANT SHIT ROUNDUP

cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/18649/young_scooter_voice_of_the_streetz.html
Pretty solid, decent Gucci and Alley Boy feature, nice beats. Scooter might be the most boring rapper ever, but he does enough with the beats.

cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19432/gudda-gudda-guddaville-3.html
Absolute trash. But you have 2 2chainz features. So maybe that makes it worth your time, but the beats are sooo boring.

cover.jpg

Plies' worst effort; theres a Mike Will beat on here that looks like Plies stole it right out of Will's recycle bin.

cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19411/yung-joc-bitch-im-joc.html

Nope. Just nope.

cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19152/lil-durk-life-aint-no-joke.html

Lil Durk is the 2nd worst member of OTF/GBE, only behind Fredo. This shit is pretty bad, but there are a few decent bangers. I just hate how they recycle all of their tracks.

cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/18932/chubbie-baby-36-oz-part-2.html
Chubbie Baby is actually decent. He gets a SICK 2 Chainz feature, and nice features from Gucci and Cyhi. Pretty standard trap fare, really depends on your tolerance to banging out to a dude called Chubby Baby.

cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/17716/frenchie_concrete_jungle_2.html

Frenchie is at the bottom of the Trapaholics barrel. Like REAL bottom of the barrel. It doesn't help that his name is Frenchie, and you start wishing he had the rap skills of French Montana. He gets features from dudes called Joffy, Joeballa, Joolzballa... but then also Gucci and Ice Burgandy. You could do worse, its just really annoying how he keeps shouting out the different jungles people are from. Didn't know CONNECTICUT JUNGLEEE was a thing. Flocka Track does bang hard tho

cover.jpg

http://indy.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19359/dubo-do-i-know-you.html

Dudes beats are surprisingly on point. I wish he were a better rapper, but he isn't egregiously bad. He sometimes gets too conscious for my taste. This is an IGNORANT ROUNDUP, stay in that lane man.

That being said, I can't believe I listened to all these tapes. I need some Jay Elec or something. Really anything different.

mooooose

You hate on ASAP so much but you are straight talking out your ass. Dude is popping everywhere and Goldie isn't/wasn't huge but it did pretty well. Fuckin Problems is the Club Paradise crew + 2Chainz for no reason, other than maybe he was in the studio with them. I doubt the label has much say in ASAP's shit. Rocky's mad at Yams for releasing the Mob tape and it being shit, because he thought it was completely undercooked and shit (and it is), but Yams who manages the crew and Rocky thought they needed to put SOMETHING out.

Rocky will be fine. He is a surprisingly competent artist who is in high demand, see his features on the Big Boi and Fat Joe tracks this month, now he's opening for Rihanna on her world tour. He is hoping on singles everywhere and tearing it up with features. When LongLiveA$AP drops, it won't be the classic that GKMC is, but it will be up there for Hip Hop AOTY, definitely. It may not win, it definitely won't be a musical AOTY like GKMC, but that's fine. Rocky is a good artist and I guarantee he sells at least 100k on his opening week, at worst 80k.

I think you're right. I hope Earl can distance himself from the stale OF sound but you just know that whole fuckin album is gonna be produced by Left Brain and Tyler.
As far as his Twitter says, it's going to have varying production from the OF camp and others.

Recon

Banned
You hate on ASAP so much but you are straight talking out your ass. Dude is popping everywhere and Goldie isn't/wasn't huge but it did pretty well. Fuckin Problems is the Club Paradise crew + 2Chainz for no reason, other than maybe he was in the studio with them. I doubt the label has much say in ASAP's shit. Rocky's mad at Yams for releasing the Mob tape and it being shit, because he thought it was completely undercooked and shit (and it is), but Yams who manages the crew and Rocky thought they needed to put SOMETHING out.

Rocky will be fine. He is a surprisingly competent artist who is in high demand, see his features on the Big Boi and Fat Joe tracks this month, now he's opening for Rihanna on her world tour. He is hoping on singles everywhere and tearing it up with features. When LongLiveA$AP drops, it won't be the classic that GKMC is, but it will be up there for Hip Hop AOTY, definitely. It may not win, it definitely won't be a musical AOTY like GKMC, but that's fine. Rocky is a good artist and I guarantee he sells at least 100k on his opening week, at worst 80k.

As far as his Twitter says, it's going to have varying production from the OF camp and others.

You got A$AP's dick so far in your mouth you cant tell if he is hot or not, all you see is his freshly sculpted pubic hairs.

Kwixotik

I don't know what you guys are talking about saying Rocky isn't popular right now. I hear people playing his songs all the time at school. The fucking Papa John's delivery guy was blasting ASAP Rocky while delivering me pizza. I walked outside one night and my neighbor was blasting ASAP Rocky. I was smoking earlier with a guy I've only met a couple times and all of the sudden he started quoting some stuff from "Get Lit".

mooooose

Because he's destroyed every feature he's been on for a year and his singles are really good? Because his tour sold out basically everywhere (other than apparently Myrtle fucking Beach)?

Lines - Big Boi
Hands on the Wheel - Schoolboy Q
Big Spender - Theo London
Yellow Tape - Fat Joe, Wayne, French Montana
Goldie - ASAP
Fuckin Problems - ASAP, Drake, 2Chainz, Kendrick
Freeze - Jim Jones & ASAP
Bath Salts - ASAP & Flatbush Zombies

Yeah... what a terrible year for ASAP. Being on songs with the hottest of today and tomorrow and all of them having nearly a million+ views... with NO ALBUM and ONLY TWO HAD LABEL BACKING (hands on the wheel and goldie).

IrishNinja

Earl's album should be fun, ill hit that up whenever it drops. recons aint like OF or A$AP, ya'll shouldnt let this bother you

now finding out something peterboy actually didnt like, that's pretty big

Recon

Banned
Earl's album should be fun, ill hit that up whenever it drops. recons aint like OF or A$AP, ya'll shouldnt let this bother you

Ummm I like them both. I am a huge Rocky fan and play his tape constantly. But yeah...

Edit: fuck odd future, but I like Frank and Earl.

PBY

Banned

I listened to about 10 hours of samey-sounding trap beats by some mediocre ass dudes. I went through the last 4 tonight. Shit wasn't easy to get through

I went to the ASAP rocky concert today (yesterday?) and the venue made us miss most of Danny Brown's set and there was way too much Asap Mob for my liking. I don't even like Schoolboy all the much so I felt pretty eh during his performance, but he cracked jokes with the crowd and talked to us so that was cool. Tons of energy from Rocky as well.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Some people, myself included, really loved livelongasap. I didn't at first, but I didn't really give it a chance initially. It took it coming on my mp3 player randomly on a long trip where I wasn't paying attention to what I was actually listening to. It was just background noise but something stuck in my head afterwards and I went through all my music looking for two tracks in particular I remembered. Turned out to be Bass and Brand New Guy. It's one of the few albums from last year that still gets play from me. Rocky is that perfect blend of stupid and clever.

But the only way he's going to "blow up" is if he drastically changes his sound to appeal to a wider audience, obviously. The problem is his style is what makes him appealing, if he just went and did an album full of tracks like Out of this World (which I like, but wouldn't want a whole album of) he'd be just another wiz khalifa, and we sure as fuck don't need more of those. If he makes an album full of fuckin' problems, we'd have another indistinguishable ignorant rapper that can be swapped out with all the others on some color palette shit like Mortal Kombat.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
hahhahahaha I just realized Jim Jones is still making music

I always got Jones and Benzino mixed up.

The difference being I like Jones in the same way you like the kid who can't draw for shit but still tries to draw funny pictures and occasionally makes you laugh with his goofy shit.
Benzino is the kid you hate from day one and end up kicking down a flight of stairs.

PBY

Banned

The difference being I like Jones in the same way you like the kid who can't draw for shit but still tries to draw funny pictures and occasionally makes you laugh with his goofy shit.
Benzino is the kid you hate from day one and end up kicking down a flight of stairs.

Yup. But Jim Jones actually occasionally drops something that legitimately is really good. Like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vtWNDI_EOI

HiResDes

Some people, myself included, really loved livelongasap. I didn't at first, but I didn't really give it a chance initially. It took it coming on my mp3 player randomly on a long trip where I wasn't paying attention to what I was actually listening to. It was just background noise but something stuck in my head afterwards and I went through all my music looking for two tracks in particular I remembered. Turned out to be Bass and Brand New Guy. It's one of the few albums from last year that still gets play from me. Rocky is that perfect blend of stupid and clever.

But the only way he's going to "blow up" is if he drastically changes his sound to appeal to a wider audience, obviously. The problem is his style is what makes him appealing, if he just went and did an album full of tracks like Out of this World (which I like, but wouldn't want a whole album of) he'd be just another wiz khalifa, and we sure as fuck don't need more of those. If he makes an album full of fuckin' problems, we'd have another indistinguishable ignorant rapper that can be swapped out with all the others on some color palette shit like Mortal Kombat.
yes-rudy1.gif

This ninja just said ASAP gonna drop a hip hop AOTY contender...

I don't hate on ASAP, I'm a realist. Dude strikes me as an industry plant: he doesn't have buzz outside of the internet. He gets a huge ass deal for nothing, doesn't have any hit songs, blogs start going crazy for him, he starts fucking around with Del Rey who everyone knows was manufactured by her label, he gets to tour with Drake, now he tours with Rhianna? What has this dude accomplished outside of a dope mixtape? A label just said "we need an OF movement, sign someone with swag" and here we are.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

lol

Perfect

Recon

Banned
It was pretty odd that he blew up before releasing a tape/album. That he got that big of a deal is mind boggling. Usually dudes have to grind a lot before getting the opportunities he has been given.

PBY

Banned
Just listened to that new Main Attrakionz. Beats are insane, wish the rappers were better. ASAP/Q would have made magic over those beats.

Also- HRD I know that feel now bro. Nobody's gonna check for a tape by a dude called Chubby Baby.

HiResDes

Just listened to that new Main Attrakionz. Beats are insane, wish the rappers were better. ASAP/Q would have made magic over those beats.

Also- HRD I know that feel now bro. Nobody's gonna check for a tape by a dude called Chubby Baby.

Yeah they're decent, but I kind of agree.

I can't tell if this is a real thing, because it sounds entirely plausible, or if you're fucking with me.

You know I'm right, Des. Those dudes have been involved with so many singles over the last two years, shit is beyond tiring. And this is coming from someone who likes Pop That

I don't think ASAP Rocky is revolutionary or even magnificent or anything like that, but people who doubt his popularity are weird. Guy could sell a ton if he's smart about it.

Also, while I agree that Main Attrakionz aren't the best rappers, I don't think that's really the point. The entire vibe and environment of that album is why I listen to it, at least. Not really the rhymes or wordplay.

HiResDes

I don't think ASAP Rocky is revolutionary or even magnificent or anything like that, but people who doubt his popularity are weird. Guy could sell a ton if he's smart about it.

Also, while I agree that Main Attrakionz aren't the best rappers, I don't think that's really the point. The entire vibe and environment of that album is why I listen to it, at least. Not really the rhymes or wordplay.

Good rhymes and wordplay are always part of the point, good being subjective to context

Good rhymes and wordplay are always part of the point, good being subjective to context

Yeah you're right. And I see what you guys are saying; The album could have been better with proper rappers. I still really like it though. I can just put it on and soar for an hour. I can't wait to go back home and put it in the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom