• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

The problem is that there isn't any hype behind Cole right now, quite frankly. Kanye will generate hype as soon as the first track drops.

Cole needs to release a big track to compete.

i'm not really one to talk since i can't even sit through an entire j cole project anymore. he just doesn't interest me.

but i think he got decent hype off of power trip. it was climbing up the charts.

Detox

Cole vs Kanye is nothing like 50 vs Kanye; Vinnie Paz might as well go up against Kanye too I'm sure he'll get more sales.

Recon

Banned
I think it will improve Coles sales a bit. But not by much. Coles a nobody relatively next to Kanye

Wasnt much hype behind Cole World either, his first week numbers surprised a lot of people.

The problem is that there isn't any hype behind Cole right now, quite frankly. Kanye will generate hype as soon as the first track drops.

Cole needs to release a big track to compete.

Females love Cole, Power Trip was pretty big for that market.

i'm not really one to talk since i can't even sit through an entire j cole project anymore. he just doesn't interest me.

but i think he got decent hype off of power trip. it was climbing up the charts.

Exactly.

Cole vs Kanye is nothing like 50 vs Kanye; Vinnie Paz might as well go up against Kanye too I'm sure he'll get more sales.

If you are seriously comparing Paz to Cole, that is more LOL worthy than comparing 50 to Kanye(which I wasnt btw, just saying it could help Cole if there was a narrative.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Recon

Banned
Yeezy doesn't want to do promo anyways, and has been actively avoiding doing so. Even the little promo for MBDTF must've taken the strength of all of Def Jam.

Cole burying his own career right here.

The little promo? He did a whole fucking short film for the album. Plus GOOD Fridays. He did a lot of promo, just not the normal press kind.

I say Born Sinner will do bigger first week than Cole world did. Anyone wanna do a avatar bet?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wait did someone actual say that Ye doesn't like promo?

ROFL

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wrong. He doesn't do what record companies want him to do but he does do promo

And he is a limelight whore
He still doesn't do promo runs. Tweets once in a while, throws a cover onto the internet, let's the hype build itself, but he doesn't do promo runs, and hasn't since MBDTF. Even made Jay limit his promo for WTT. Again, this is not up for interpretation, he just didn't.

Limelight whores don't move away from where all the limelight and exposure is; they stay in the limelight and in front of cameras.

PBY

Banned
He still doesn't do promo runs. Tweets once in a while, throws a cover onto the internet, let's the hype build itself, but he doesn't do promo runs, and hasn't since MBDTF. Even made Jay limit his promo for WTT. Again, this is not up for interpretation, he just didn't.

Limelight whores don't move away from where all the limelight and exposure is; they stay in the limelight and in front of cameras.

Yeah I think we had this discussion a while back- there's a difference between being a promo whore, and wanting attention for doing what he feels is groundbreaking. If he wanted promo, he could have put out album art, single art, doing radio station rounds, etc.

Anyways, what does Gaf Hop think of RAM?

Blackace

He stays doing promo you can limit it to a certain type to try to prove a point but he stays out there in some fashion or another

Yeah only the humble dress like the bastard child of big bird

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah I think we had this discussion a while back- there's a difference between being a promo whore, and wanting attention for doing what he feels is groundbreaking. If he wanted promo, he could have put out album art, single art, doing radio station rounds, etc.

RAM is amazing. Just finished it. I'm not a Daft Punk acolyte, but have only casually followed their music over the years and I absolutely love it.

It's so different. So funky. So smooth. So groovy. Giorgio by Moroder is my favourite song right now but I'm feeling Instant Crush, Touch and Beyond. It has a great opener and closer too.

He stays doing promo you can limit it to a certain type to try to prove a point but he stays out there in some fashion or another

Yeah only the humble dress like the bastard child of big bird
Him having other ventures is promotion now? Again, I don't think he's doing that for promotion more than trying to enter the fashion world and build associates and a brand there and gain acceptance from people he respects/wants to be like. And that's pretty different and stretching it yourself if you consider any public appearance promo (which it is, but it's hardly him going out and doing it to actively try and promote his music or something; for argumentative sake).

Blackace

Promo is promo

He has found ways to do promo without having to do radio sitins and what not

But it is promo and he does do it

Kanye doesn't do promo......continues on listing how he does promo....

Because he doesn't do promo like a traditional rap artist doesn't mean what he does isn't promo. Dude definitely did promo for MBDTF. He just doesn't do interviews for the most part

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's great and all, but I was initially arguing that he doesn't do promo runs. Which he doesn't, and that is fact. And I'm glad we're all on the same page with that as of now.

Y'all can continue arguing the malleable definition of promo, which appears to be "any act or movement that is recognized by another individual" is promo. Sure, I guess, but as a functional definition that means every artist/celeb is doing promo at all times when they walk outside. I really don't think Kanye goes on rants and shit, and dresses the way he does, etc. to gain attention to actively promote his music. He just does it because he's that dude. The fan documentary that came out today just reinforces that further. Even before he got on and even behind the scenes when there was no stage in front of him he was doing that shit because that's just how is, not because he has a goal in mind. And now that he has a cult-like core fanbase, he doesn't really need to do anything consciously, just take whatever gigs fit best in his schedule.

Not really Enzo. It truly sounds like all you are saying is promo runs=interviews which is the only thing Ye doesn't really does.

He definitely went on a promo run for MBDTF, I don't even see how that is an argument. WTT had promo runs all over the place. We going to act like Ye or Jay didn't put out plenty of stuff to hype people huh? Again he just didn't do interviews. There are more to a promo run than just interviews. Something as simple as releasing a music video is part of promo runs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not really Enzo. It truly sounds like all you are saying is promo runs=interviews which is the only thing Ye doesn't really does.

He definitely went on a promo run for MBDTF, I don't even see how that is an argument. WTT had promo runs all over the place. Again he just didn't do interviews. There are more to a promo run than just interviews.
Promo runs are interviews, the performances that goes with them, candid appearances, photoshoots etc.

And I already acknowledged MBDTF had promo runs. I said since then. WTT didn't. They were pretty much in the dark until we got word of the listening party and from then forward it was only Jay out and about talking about it; and he didn't say much either because they wanted to keep the fans lusting for the tour. There was so little tangible out on that album before it came out that people didn't believe the release was actually happening on that date. And after that was pretty much a few music videos spaced out by a couple months each over the next year and I can't recall anything else.

Blackace

If you don't think that when Ye dresses like Voldo he doesn't know that it WILL get him news or care and he is just that dude then there is no reasoning with you

iavi

May be Daft Punk's GOAT

I want to say that it's a concept album as strong as Russian Roullete, but there's no actual unifying theme, or concept to RAM; instead, each track is like a story of its own, with multiple movements in each--each story being as good as the other.

cdyhybrid

I think it's irresponsible to put it up with Homework and Discovery on Day 1 but it's good for sure.

Praying to Tebow that they go on tour.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think it's irresponsible to put it up with Homework and Discovery on Day 1 but it's good for sure.

Praying to Tebow that they go on tour.
Not better than Discovery.

I can already identify some tracks I don't think I'll be listening to in the long haul.

lmao yo I just watched that Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe video and within the first few seconds it showed Jay Rock. I swear for like 3 seconds I thought that was Wesley Snipes with his Blade glasses on

DominoKid

It's amazing. Nothing like what I expected it to sound like based on all the previews.

iavi

I think it's irresponsible to put it up with Homework and Discovery on Day 1

Hence the 'may'. Normally, I'd think bad to do so too, but their growth as musicians from that era is so immediately apparent that I almost think it okay, and it's more than just style choices.

"Touch" is a musical in itself.

E: Looks like TheWeeknd's filming a new vid. posting screens on IG

RAM is cool. I feel like it's definitely a slowburn, something that could potentially grow onto more and more I listen to it. Some songs are too long, But yeah, different from what I expected like what Domino said

DominoKid

Giorgio by Moroder is in the running for track of the year alongside Strawberry Bubblegum.

tumblr_lqgl1npFAM1qltqnp.gif

CRS

Nope. I don't fuck with regular chocolate in general. Real or fake. I use it in a few occasions but that's if it isn't overpowering, like in a mole.

White chocolate on the other hand? Best sweet on this planet. Handed down from God himself.

Also, Strawberry nesquik >>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom