• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

Try Ladyhawke's first album if you like 80s influenced pop/rock/dance stuff. I wore that shit out night driving in Burnout Paradise.

edit: oh you were talking about rap. still my point stands. i recommend that album highly.
It's fine :). I'll take whatever I can get regardless of whether it's rap or not. It's funny because I'm going to be driving 7-8 hours listening to this stuff. Just checking some of it on youtube right now. Man, so good. Listening to Blue Eyes now. Wow.

Gucci Gucci

lol

iavi

Gaf-hop...

pixel_punk_black_tee-600x600.png

you know I gotta

CRS

Damn it. Copyright violations make this a no go.

Des, what was that turntable clone that you used for a minute?

Tokubetsu

We sometimes talk about how label politics make no sense in here so I thought some of you would enjoy this article:
What It’s Like When A Label Won’t Release Your Album

Some points I've brought up talking to some of you here:
If a certain kind of sound is suddenly in demand, labels might rush to sign similar artists — either to profit off them themselves, or to simply sit on them and claim them, Rae says. “Maybe it makes sense to sign you, get you under contract, and keep you off the streets, so nobody else has you. But they don’t actually care if they do anything with you.”

When a label goes through transition, losing the initial person who was pushing for you and had your back can be really confusing — and lonely.
“A lot of times, historically, how this would happen, an A&R guy would be like, ‘Oh, I’m so excited about this new band! You guys are gonna be big!’” says Casey Rae, deputy director of the Future of Music Coalition, an advocacy group for musicians. “And we get you on the label, and everyone’s all excited, and then all of a sudden that A&R person loses their job and you’re just out in the wilderness, and maybe you’re just a line item on some accountant’s ledger sheet. And you can easily be X’ed out because, well, we have other priorities.”

yeah macklemore is wildly successful for an independent. while his stuff isn't really my cup of tea I think it's great how well he's doing.

the label system can sometimes fucking drown people like that article suggests.

DominoKid

its as much talent as it is everything just falling into place at the right time. if anything the latter is more important.

sn: i had the biggest crush on JoJo in middle school...and i see she's still fine as everything. she should just act because this music shit isn't going well for her.

sn2: how the hell did plug catch on and not turntable? first time i'm using it and it's the same thing pretty much.

mooooose

If I were to guess from Yay Yay, Gangsta, and Man of the Year, I think Q Is going to drop a bomb on hip hop that will leave people divided between him, Ye, and Danny Brown until December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom