• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
is it possible for musicians nowadays to go dark? like, even if he got blacklisted to the point 2DOPEBOYZ wouldn't post his shit, there's always bandcamp and other means. If fans wanna still listen, there would be a way.

I mean that's if he doesn't get taken out of the picture in some freak light bulb changing incident where he fell of the stool, cracked his head on the oven and knocked out the pilot light and then died of asphyxiation, but then a lamp shorted out and sparked causing a huge gas explosion destroying any physical evidence of Gibbs in the process?

Is something like that possible?

At some point, you have to make legitimate money. Yeah, it's totally possible

DominoKid

is it possible for musicians nowadays to go dark? like, even if he got blacklisted to the point 2DOPEBOYZ wouldn't post his shit, there's always bandcamp and other means. If fans wanna still listen, there would be a way.

I mean that's if he doesn't get taken out of the picture in some freak light bulb changing incident where he fell of the stool, cracked his head on the oven and knocked out the pilot light and then died of asphyxiation, but then a lamp shorted out and sparked causing a huge gas explosion destroying any physical evidence of Gibbs in the process?

completely? no.

but there's only so far word of mouth & promo can go when you don't have access to networks (radio, blogs, TV, etc) w/ big audiences. when you are burned like his is then it really limits what you can do.

Esch

Banned
In tonight's news, underground rapper Freddie Gibbs was vaporized during a freak dark matter accident at CERN. His last words were "ay, i jus wanna see some science nahmean". A service will be held on Sunday, but no remains will be buried.

The hip hop industry was unavailable for comments.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Macklemore? Did he get love from blogs outside of hip-hop ones? I don't read shit like Pitchfork.

How much of a blackout are we talking? Eventually if your shit is poppin', it's poppin', and blogs will run to include it for their own self preservation rather than the other way around. Blogs aren't the only avenue. It will be hard to build the movement, but it's definitely possible if the music is good enough.

Esch

Banned
Macklemore would be an exception to the rule. An anomaly even. I don't even consider him a part of rap culture really.

Macklemore is the result of some backpack experiment gone wrong. Like, dr.coldvein lost so hard in the 90s and 00s he took DNA from all the fallen rhymesayers, anticon rappers and incubated them in his basement like Cell. He probably took DNA from Kanye and Outkast too. thats why macklemore has some indescribable blackness about him

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Macklemore? Did he get love from blogs outside of hip-hop ones? I don't read shit like Pitchfork.

How much of a blackout are we talking? Eventually if your shit is poppin', it's poppin', and blogs will run to include it for their own self preservation rather than the other way around. Blogs aren't the only avenue. It will be hard to build the movement, but it's definitely possible if the music is good enough.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at there, has anyone ever pulled something like that off? coming back off a blacklist? pre and post internet.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Macklemore is the result of some backpack experiment gone wrong. Like, dr.coldvein lost so hard in the 90s and 00s he took DNA from all the fallen rhymesayers, anticon rappers and incubated them in his basement like Cell. He probably took DNA from Kanye and Outkast too. thats why macklemore has some indescribable blackness about him

Wha?

Blackace

Anytime you use a DBZ reference to explain anything we all lose

Esch

Banned
You weren't 8 when that shit was popping, i guess you older cats can't identify

bow.gif
DBZ

DominoKid

You weren't 8 when that shit was popping, i guess you older cats can't identify

bow.gif
DBZ

man i love DBZ and i didn't even pick up on that lol.

Yo, if Drake is part of the rap game, Macklemore fucking qualifies. Come on, you can't tell me that ain't some bullshit.

nah Drake had to get big w/in the rap game before he became a superstar. Macklemore's success came from solely from the outside. He aint one of us.

Blackace

Yo, if Drake is part of the rap game, Macklemore fucking qualifies. Come on, you can't tell me that ain't some bullshit.
Drake started from the bottom of upper-middle class suburbs

You don't want to see the old Drake

DominoKid

nah Drake had to get big w/in the rap game before he became a superstar. Macklemore's success came from solely from the outside. He aint one of us.

Drake can always fall back on his hip-hop audience because he never really left us behind even though he crossed over.

BoB crossed over, left us behind pretty much (this is where he fucked up) and then tried to jump back. and now he's stuck in no mans land where neither audience wants him.

When Macklemore's pop run goes cold he'll be just as assed out (although since he's indie it wont be as bad as BoB) because he doesn't have a hip-hop audience to come back to.

WanderingWind

i don't care for the specifics. he's legit from rap whether we like it or not.

even BoB is more from the culture than Macklemore.

This reads as nothing more than "I don't like this guy." More from the culture? What does that mean? He came up on mixtapes, made a couple of tapes, then made an independent rap album. What more of the "culture" is one supposed to adhere to?

Esch

Banned
Obviously the elephant in the room is that he's white, but it's deeper than just that. His path to power is different than even guys like Yelawolf and Eminem who came up in the predetermined rap music sphere. He's more like mac miller who went from indie to pop without any of that shit. But he's less from the rap power structure than even mac miller, who does plenty of features and shit like that. Macklemore is a self sustaining, bizarre little entity.

WanderingWind

Obviously the elephant in the room is that he's white, but it's deeper than just that. His path to power is different than even guys like Yelawolf and Eminem who came up in the predetermined rap music sphere. He's more like mac miller who went from indie to pop without any of that shit. But he's less from the rap power structure than even mac miller, who does plenty of features and shit like that. Macklemore is a self sustaining, bizarre little entity.

He come up as the hometown hero, playing sold out concerts in Seattle way before Thrift Shop. It's not really that bizarre, except for his current pop...popularity.

Esch

Banned
He come up as the hometown hero, playing sold out concerts in Seattle way before Thrift Shop. It's not really that bizarre, except for his current pop...popularity.

Right, but what DominoKid says is still pretty spot on in that Macklemore is playing no active role in 'the game'. He has unprecedented success without being allied with a major power, makes music that is atypical for what's coming out now from the industry as a whole, he is very isolated. I don't expect to see him playing shows with lots of other rap acts, doing features, collab albums, that sort of thing. He's a very tall island.

Recon

Banned
Hip hop blogs were talking about macklemore for awhile, I even posted one of his videos a few years back. His success wasnt just overnight, but it helped that Thrift Shop blew the fuck up. A lot of posts in here are ridiculous. And It is exactly because he is white. Dont hide behind that shit esch and Domino, own that shit, dont dance around it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hip hop blogs were talking about macklemore for awhile, I even posted one of his videos a few years back. His success wasnt just overnight, but it helped that Thrift Shop blew the fuck up. A lot of posts in here are ridiculous. And It is exactly because he is white. Dont hide behind that shit esch and Domino, own that shit, dont dance around it.
Bombs of truth.

Esch

Banned
I didn't dance around it, I addressed it specifically and presented counterexamples, can you read? Hell Action Bronson is a counterexample too.

I read about Macklemore too, but very peripherally. Nobody was out here talking about how he was about to get next or something like that. I didn't deny that he had a presence or a market, just that most of his play came from outside the hip hop sphere. And there is nothing wrong with that either.

DominoKid

Right, but what DominoKid says is still pretty spot on in that Macklemore is playing no active role in 'the game'. He has unprecedented success without being allied with a major power, makes music that is atypical for what's coming out now from the industry as a whole, he is very isolated. I don't expect to see him playing shows with lots of other rap acts, doing features, collab albums, that sort of thing. He's a very tall island.

pretty much. yall taking it as hate and race-related when it isn't meant to be. stop reaching.

I didn't dance around it, I addressed it specifically and presented counterexamples, can you read? Hell Action Bronson is a counterexample too.

I read about Macklemore too, but very peripherally. Nobody was out here talking about how he was about to get next or something like that. I didn't deny that he had a presence or a market, just that most of his play came from outside the hip hop sphere.
And there is nothing wrong with that either.

exactly.

WanderingWind

So, like most independent musicians? He has one record out that saw some play. It was supposed to be a independent record that happened to sell based on its quality. Give the guy some time before writing the act off as some industry untouchable. He has concerts with other people, they're just other independents.

I read about Macklemore too, but very peripherally. Nobody was out here talking about how he was about to get next or something like that. I didn't deny that he had a presence or a market, just that most of his play came from outside the hip hop sphere. And there is nothing wrong with that either.

Except he was on unsigned hype and came up in the local rap scene. Us not knowing about him until he blew up just means we didn't know about him until he blew up. It has nothing to do with some bullshit about how he's outside of the culture.

Esch

Banned
So, like most independent musicians? He has one record out that saw some play. It was supposed to be a independent record that happened to sell based on its quality. Give the guy some time before writing the act off as some industry untouchable. He has concerts with other people, they're just other independents.

Name other underground guys in the rap game who blew up like Macklemore did without doing the feature rounds / aligning yourself with a rap label or crew / getting a leg up from a major. I'm not saying Macklemore is friendless or has nobody to make music with (lol), I'm simply saying that he did not rely on relationships inside the rap game or culture as much as others do to get a leg up.

In fact, I expect Macklemore to start getting more aligned with the industry from this point on. I see instagram pics of him with rappers on the reg now.
Except he was on unsigned hype and came up in the local rap scene. Us not knowing about him until he blew up just means we didn't know about him until he blew up. It has nothing to do with some bullshit about how he's outside of the culture.
That in itself is weird! Who comes up on local gigs anymore? This is the era of internet alliances and features, no coasts, emailed verses. The only other guys who did that recently were like, Chief Keef, and he still got boosts from Ye and features on his albums.

WanderingWind

Name other underground guys in the rap game who blew up like Macklemore did without doing the feature rounds / aligning yourself with a rap label or crew / getting a leg up from a major. I'm not saying Macklemore is friendless or has nobody to make music with (lol), I'm simply saying that he did not rely on relationships inside the rap game or culture as much as others do to get a leg up.

In fact, I expect Macklemore to start getting more aligned with the industry from this point on. I see instagram pics of him with rappers on the reg now.

Well, until we started talking about freshman hype, many of them. Many rappers used to come up on the local scene. It's why rappers still rep where they're from so hard. The not being part of an established rap label isn't even that new, just the popularity he got despite not having a major marketing push. So, then it's a matter of "he's popular without outside marketing, so not part of the culture."

Recon

Banned
Dom and Esch being super shitty with this. Its almost as bad as those "this shit aint real hip hop, rap sucks"..wait, its exactly like that.

Esch

Banned
Well, until we started talking about freshman hype, many of them. Many rappers used to come up on the local scene. It's why rappers still rep where they're from so hard. The not being part of an established rap label isn't even that new, just the popularity he got despite not having a major marketing push. So, then it's a matter of "he's popular without outside marketing, so not part of the culture."

That was kind of my point.
Dom and Esch being super shitty with this. Its almost as bad as those "this shit aint real hip hop, rap sucks"..wait, its exactly like that.

I think you're just looking to lash out, maybe feeling a little victimized. I haven't said anything negative about Macklemore's music during this argument, in fact I enjoy quite a few of his songs. Miss me with that shit.

Recon

Banned
That was kind of my point.

I think you're just looking to lash out, maybe feeling a little victimized. I haven't said anything negative about Macklemore's music during this argument, in fact I enjoy quite a few of his songs. Miss me with that shit.

Nope, you and Dom basically said "he aint real hip hop" because a bunch of white people started giving him play. We all know what you guys are fucking saying, dont be a pussy about it.

Esch

Banned
Nope, you and Dom basically said "he aint real hip hop" because a bunch of white people started giving him play. We all know what you guys are fucking saying, dont be a pussy about it.
Nope. I'm at face value.
The rap culture is not defined by marketing.

...right? Are we calling rappers legitimate only if they suck the dicks of the Iovines and Reid's of the world now?

I am not questioning his LEGITIMACY, merely his lack of reliance on the rap power structure/ecosystem/hype cycles etc.. Why are you guys getting so heated about this? If anything you should be thrilled that an artist was able to make his own success without relying on that bullshit, and acknowledge it as such.

Blackace

Nope. I'm at face value.

I am not questioning his LEGITIMACY, merely his lack of reliance on the rap power structure/ecosystem/hype cycles etc.. Why are you guys getting so heated about this? If anything you should be thrilled that an artist was able to make his own success without relying on that bullshit, and acknowledge it as such.
They were offended by your DBZ reference also

Esch

Banned
"Macklemore managed to make a success of himself without relying on features. It's odd, and an interesting study. He didn't do the rounds with vets, media outlets that many people do, even from the underground, yet he still managed to achieve a great degree of mainstream success, crossing over to the pop scene"

"YOU JUST HATE HIM CAUSE HES WHITE"

bunk-the-wire.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom