• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
10 I really like in rough order of personal merit.

DJ Koze - Amygdala
Thundercat - Apocalypse
The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
Miles Whitaker - Faint Hearted
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Space Dimension Controller - Welcome To Mikrosektor-50
Gold Panda - Half Of Where You Live
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Lapalux - Nostalchic
Maxmillion Dunbar - House Of Woo

Not taken in the new My Bloody Valentine, Deerhunter, Strokes, Flaming Lips Phoenix, Queens Of the Stone Age Or Kurt Vile yet. Can't be arsed with indie music at the moment it seems (whatever that means now, although YLT is pretty much always cool with me) though so I don't know if my opinion will change too much.

HiResDes

" can you get my benz in the club?"
This album physically hurts my ears and has some shit bars for a s'posed to be guaranteed good album. What happened when rappers would say to their features "come with it or do it again"?
Chief keef killed kanye on his own track short and sweet style.

No he didn't, and I'm sure he got babysat through that little part even...

I got to listen to the Conway album....Love the aggressive lyrics, and the overall tone of the sound of the album. There's not anything out there that sounds like this album in the Hip-Hop genre at all. Didn't mind the reused sound effects and some of the kits, but as always, the album flows very well, similar to 808's my favorite album. But with that said...I still don't know how I feel about the album as a whole yet....I love Bound2, Hold My liquor and I'm in it.....But yeah, I like it better than that over produce Dark Twisted Voodoo Fantasy shit.

10 I really like in rough order of personal merit.

DJ Koze - Amygdala
Thundercat - Apocalypse
The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
Miles Whitaker - Faint Hearted
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Space Dimension Controller - Welcome To Mikrosektor-50
Gold Panda - Half Of Where You Live
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Lapalux - Nostalchic
Maximillion Dunbar - House Of Woo

++ Honorable mentions

cryptic

It's a Kanye album.

I know man but he started off bad and I heard he picked it up, this is his sixth album and there's no improvement. I can't listen to a rap album and overlook that, no matter who it is, he's not bigger than the genre like that. Just put it in the pop aisle otherwise but keep it on the top 10 up front at Fyes'.

Recon

Banned
I know man but he started off bad and I heard he picked it up, this is his sixth album and there's no improvement. I can't listen to a rap album and overlook that, no matter who it is, he's not bigger than the genre.

Sometimes it aint about the content of the words, but how well the words ride a beat. You gonna miss a lot of great albums if you only go looking for hot bars.

cryptic

Sometimes it aint about the content of the words, but how well the words ride a beat. You gonna miss a lot of great albums if you only go looking for hot bars.
Since when is flow incompatible with sensible bars? I don't know guys if you like it that's cool, I'll give it more of a shot when it's on CD. Just not really feeling it; I'm too old to change maybe.

Recon

Banned
Since when is flow incompatible with sensible bars? I don't know guys if you like it that's cool, I'll give it more of a shot when it's on CD. Just not really feeling it; I'm too old to change maybe.

You are not listening to what I am saying. I didnt say it was incompatible. I only said "Sometimes" the flow is better than the words, and that is okay. Key word is "sometimes".

Kanye doesn't even have a great flow. Dude's honestly a bit boring as a rapper aside from when he has some clowning ass line.

Yeezus is carried by some really great, varied production and tempo switches. I enjoyed the album more when Kanye was just vibing and either A. stopped rapping to let the beat carry the track, or B. Didn't try to "go hard" and ruin it with his obnoxious "holding this syllable for a bar and half" style. Still, the 2nd half of the album is pretty damn good, and I like it more than MBDIcan'tremebertherestofthistitle.

But Bound is a poor closer. Not a fan of that track whatsoever. Boring, and just when you think it's going somewhere, it doesn't.

njean777

Heard Yeezus, will be buying day one. May be my hip-hop album of the year. The only person that may beat it is Q but who knows when he will drop it...

CRS

Might be an entire Jay-Z x Timba album in the works.

This might be the 4th of July project/mixtape Twitter was yappin' on about.

Esch

Banned

Not trying to hear that in 2013.... Jay should just let Kanye exec produce his next album. what has Timbo done in the last 5 years that was hot

tumblr_mbjpnspnHR1rgde37o1_500.gif

Not gonna spend much time beating around the bush: Yeezus is pretty good. I must say I was worried during the first track which is pretty shitty to me, and sounds unmastered or something. But that initial low point serves as a launch pad for the rest of the album, and you can also tell Rick Rubin saved this from being a complete mess; there are a lot of ideas thrown around, many of which could have easily failed. This new version of Black Slaves is much better without the ugly outro the original version had, for instance.

Keef continues his dope crooning hook streak on Hold My Liquor. I'm In It broke my face, although I have no idea wtf RZA did on this track. Blood On The Leaves is one of Kanye's best songs (despite the "Jay-Z/Beyonce/lazy" rhyme being a Krispy Kreme rip off), and such a perfect mixture of every style his albums have explored; I'd love to see this mixture explored more. And when those horns kicked in I knew we'd get a C-Murder reference.

The entire second half of the album is strong actually. Send It Up's synth line works perfectly, perhaps more than any on the album; if there's one sound I can imagine The Camel aping, it's this. Bound 2 is in a similar vein as Blood On The Leaves to me, in terms of Kanye's sound coming full circle. Overall it's a dope album. Lyrically it's not as bad as some are saying. There are some undeniably BAD lines, like "I be speaking swageli." C'mon ninja, the fuck is that. But there are plenty of 2 Chainz-esque moments of odd yet endearing wit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Eh? Source?

Jay's also teasing his Samsung partnership for the 4th. Yet another startup music streaming service about to be ethered by iTunes Radio.

game5.jpg

CRS

Spotify >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fuck an iTunes Radio.

The only advantage I see iTunes having is having the money for certain artist/group catalogs. Other than that, Spotify shouldn't be worried.

Wait, is iTunes Radio similar to Pandora or Spotify?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Spotify >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fuck an iTunes Radio.

The only advantage I see iTunes having is having the money for certain artist/group catalogs. Other than that, Spotify shouldn't be worried.

Wait, is iTunes Radio similar to Pandora or Spotify?
Lol

iTunes Radio will be a free, ad-supported service available to all iTunes users, featuring Siri integration on iOS. Users will be able to skip tracks, customize stations, and purchase the songs they are listening to. iTunes Match subscribers will be able to use an ad-free version of the service. It will initially be available in the US only, before rolling-out to other countries later.

More like Pandora I guess? About to gain significant ground for it's integration in iOS and catalog alone. Spotify will still reign supreme on other platforms Android tho. It's not really the clearest right now, but I'm pretty sure you can listen to specific stuff.

EDIT: Reading more up on it, nah it's more like Pandora. Meh.

Just heard that new Gibbs song. God fucking damn, he keeps leveling up. Amazing.

too bad he can't keep his mouth shut though, dude is burning bridges for NO REASON

CRS

Yeah, I rather be able to pick and choose what I want to listen to. That's why I never fucked with Pandora. Last.fm is better than Pandora in that regard to because it's tracked what I've listened to and plays music that I like. Even mixtape shit too if the artist has uploaded it to Last.fm. And listen to entire albums instead of a radio. If I want mixes, I'll make my own shit or listen to pre-made mixes like Ace's.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I haven't really digested the lyrics yet because I've been too busy snorting coke while listening to the album, but my first impression says that this is his best lyrically showing since CD.

Que?

There is no lyrical showing here. He just says things with enough energy to get a pass.

I got to listen to the Conway album....Love the aggressive lyrics, and the overall tone of the sound of the album. There's not anything out there that sounds like this album in the Hip-Hop genre at all. Didn't mind the reused sound effects and some of the kits, but as always, the album flows very well, similar to 808's my favorite album. But with that said...I still don't know how I feel about the album as a whole yet....I love Bound2, Hold My liquor and I'm in it.....But yeah, I like it better than that over produce Dark Twisted Voodoo Fantasy shit.
I mean Yeezuz didn't invent this sound, it's not really new to hip hop as some others have already said. But it's made more accessible, if that's what you mean.

DominoKid

Its not like it really matters that this is his weakest technical effort. If anything I think a stronger one would detract from the focus and brilliance of the album. This is more Kanye the superstar frontman instead of Kanye the rapper. The heads seem to be really stuck on that.

Jay Sosa

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Kanye West - Yeezus
Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light
Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt
Mikal Cronin - MCII
DJ Koze - Amygdala
R.A. The Rugged Man- Legends Never Die
Kitty - D.A.I.S.Y. RAGE
The Uncluded - Hokey Fright
Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Foxygen - We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
John Grant - Pale Green Ghost

Top 15(because I'm a fucking rebel) off the top of my head, and I'm probably forgetting things too. I'll force myself to narrow down to 10 at the end of the year, which will be damn near impossible. This is in no order, btw.

goddamn I'm out of touch (dammit now I have that awesome 80s song stuck in my head). from that list I know 3 people/bands. Maybe 4 but I doubt that's really that DJ Koze I'm thinking of.

fake edit: Oh, it totally is. well then it's 4.

They blacklisted him a loooooongggg time ago before he started putting fools on blast.

Dude threatened Jimmy Iovine. Iovine puts up with plenty of shit (see: 50 Cent, Keef) but whatever Gibbs did must have pissed him off - then he threatened him lmao. Dumb ass ninja. He seems perfect for Interscope too. Gangster rapper who has an undeniable ear for melody, has potential with female audiences, etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't really digested the lyrics yet because I've been too busy snorting coke while listening to the album, but my first impression says that this is his best lyrically showing since CD.
Lyrical ability? No, MBDTF quite exceeds cheesy TCD raps. LR is better than TCD in that regard too.
Lyrical content? Subjective to whatever you find most relatable, which would probably be TCD for most.

Pretty sure half the people praising Yeezus are gonna hate it in a month. Don't know how I feel about it in it's entirety right now either. A lot of things that don't sit right with me. The inclusion of Bound 2, how cohesive it is; possibly another missed opportunity for his shot at a completely racially charged album, and some more minor things.

I need to digest those lyrics when I'm a bit less hype.

Yeezus>>>Graduation

As I said, the lyrics aren't bad overall. I almost never excuse bad lyricism, hence why I tend to dismiss a lot of witch shit, but here Kanye paints enough vivid pictures to do the job. You can tell he has fully embraced the asshole persona and it leads to some great lines/jokes.

Jitters

Damn already posting top ten lists in here. I'm still just thinking about culling down 40 releases this year and we still got 6 more months!

I know, right. This year has been great.

As I keep listening to Yeezus, I have it at least tied with LR as his best.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
tumblr_lycbtakkRz1qlf2rno1_500.gif

^ Yeezus in picture form aka not a good look

Like somebody else said a rapper like Killer Mike who has more control of rapid fire agressive flows could of killed some of these beats... I mean straight murdered them. That right there is the caveat while the style format can produce good music Kanye experimenting with it has not. Overall this isn't a really good album and unless you guys really want a million half assed horrorcore/electronica clones don't pretend otherwise.

I like a couple of tracks (new Slaves, Blood on the leaves, Bound 2) but come on this isn't on tier with the stuff Yeezy has done before. It feels lazy, even 808's regadless of how bad it was felt like it took work. which goes along with the rumors he basically rushed recording of this because he had real world things to do.

also lets not mention Yeezus in the new OT title.... I don't want to make this Album seem more important than it is....

cacophony

the production on MBDTF is so diverse but still maintains a theme. every song stands out on it's own. I haven't heard an album with better production since. Ye won't top it.

if you think MBDTF is unpolished you must think Yeezus is 10x more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom