• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I gotta be honest I feel as though you don't really like the core of rap at all. I think you associate it with some sort of baseness or ignorance, which doesn't agree with you, but then I see you talking about Riff Raff and I get confused. I'm not the biggest Tupac fan around at all, but I'd never suggest that he was overrated, some of his output resonates as a strong positive force in the black community. I almost get the sense that your affinity could more accurately be described as anti-urban.

Esch

Banned
I dont know you in real life so i cant fully evaluate that statement but you are kind of like the white hipster gentrifying brooklyn. Except brooklyn in this metaphor is a genre of music
More blood rituals needed.
we outlawed this in the GAFHOP international convention because last time siddx gave everyone hep c.

Jitters

I gotta be honest I feel as though you don't really like the core of rap at all. I think you associate it with some sort of baseness or ignorance, which doesn't agree with you, but then I see you talking about Riff Raff and I get confused. I'm not the biggest Tupac fan around at all, but I'd never suggest that he was overrated, some of his output resonates as a strong positive force in the black community. I almost get the sense that your affinity could more accurately be described as anti-urban.
What do you mean by core of rap? You might be right.

I see Riff Raff as a caricature of sorts, and I love the hooks and beats. I find him very entertaining.

Esch

Banned
What do you mean by core of rap? You might be right.

I see Riff Raff as a caricature of sorts, and I love the hooks and beats. I find him very entertaining.
He means you're basically not much of a 'real fan'. You run everything through this Pitchfork style innovatea clever meter. You dont understand or vibe with the soul or essence of the genre. Cant see you vibing to an old Rakim verse, or enjoying a Ruff Ryders cut for the raw, evocative power of it. Some dudes just dont have that heart.

Jitters

He means you're basically not much of a 'real fan'. You run everything through this Pitchfork style innovatea clever meter. You dont understand or vibe with the soul or essence of the genre. Cant see you vibing to an old Rakim verse, or enjoying a Ruff Ryders cut for the raw, evocative power of it. Some dudes just dont have that heart.
I quite enjoy Rakim. I enjoy straight up rap when it doesn't come across as silly.

EDIT:I'm white and Mos Def is one of my favorite rappers, so that is accurate.

CRS

What do you mean by core of rap?
Spreading a message of the hardships, struggle, and shortcomings that someone from an urban community goes through.

And almost every sub-genre is that in some form, just portrayed from a different perspective.

IrishNinja

wait, "core" hip hop is about the struggle? that's an interesting definition today

yasmin aint been on my top 10 in a minute, but their page on jazz/blues/"music black people used to listen to" is hilariously spot-on

Esch

Banned
I quite enjoy Rakim. I enjoy straight up rap when it doesn't come across as silly.

So basically what...define silly. Youre always insinuating that the more gangster or hard shit is somehow under the cut. Elaborate on it.

IrishNinja

jitters what hard shit/older classics do you dig, and what do you talk shit bout? i mean there's room for both, that was what CB4 and classics like this were about but dont be tellin me ice cube and shit like that wasn't raw

I guess "root" would be a better word used instead of "core" but it still stands for a lot of hip-hop, no?

well yeah, the more i think on it the more its not as easy to argue against...i mean even the ice/rims/material goods shit is like an extension of juicy/etc and doing that inverse shit where you talk bout flossing cause the shit where you were before was terrible

HiResDes

I aint gonna hate too hard because i get where youre coming from Jitters, but that lane seems super
limited to me.

I was gonna answer N.W.A. to the core question but only to be facetious.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Hopsin is just one of those gaf hop punching bags that one gaffer went in on and then some other gaffer who wanted to feel included jumped in as well and so on and so on until nobody want to feel excluded from the gaf rapper group teabagging. There is nothing particularly awful about him strictly as a rapper. There isn't anything remarkable either, but if we are talking about "bad" rappers, the list stretches pretty fucking long before it gets to him.

And Esch it's Hep A (for real I got Hep A as a kid eating shark in El Salvador).

CRS

I aint gonna hate too hard because i get where youre coming from Jitters, but that lane seems super
limited to me.
Which is why people call him out when he doesn't like "so and so" or bags on them. He has his taste and that's fine but he put himself in that limited lane and it's not everyone else's fault that they enjoy more than a couple of sub genres. And it isn't a detriment to the music's quality either.

Esch

Banned
Fuck that shit. If you cant respect or fuck with 90s gangsta classics you're not a true fan imo. Theres a reason that shit gets discussed over and over, why there are murals of those cats on walls, why no era ever came close. That shit was the peak of mic skills, lets not front.

Jitters

jitters what hard shit/older classics do you dig, and what do you talk shit bout? i mean there's room for both, that was what CB4 and classics like this were about but dont be tellin me ice cube and shit like that wasn't raw

I like Rakim/Eric B, Organized Konfusion, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy.. I'm not sure what time frame you mean exactly.

Tupac was the only one I talked shit about really. I don't like DMX, N.W.A., Jay Z.

filler

Banned
Hopsin is trying to be the hiphop version of Marilyn Manson. Only problems is he's boring and that act got old in the 90's.

SadAli

Neo Member
I'm pretty relaxed about people respecting the "canon" since traditionally all great rap music is built on the bones of those that came before them.

However, the mind boggles at not liking NWA. Please tell me you like Cube at least.

IrishNinja

Hopsin is just one of those gaf hop punching bags that one gaffer went in on and then some other gaffer who wanted to feel included jumped in as well and so on and so on until nobody want to feel excluded from the gaf rapper group teabagging. There is nothing particularly awful about him strictly as a rapper. There isn't anything remarkable either, but if we are talking about "bad" rappers, the list stretches pretty fucking long before it gets to him.

And Esch it's Hep A (for real I got Hep A as a kid eating shark in El Salvador).

he's clowned on for that GFK angle of being a clear WWF gimmick...which isnt to say tons of other (sometimes beloved) MC's arent, but he strikes me as particularly poor at hiding the wires is all. what little ive seen/heard/indulged of his felt like a poor amalgam of other stuff done better by living dudes, which again isn't terrible but his fanbase seems made of dudes like my boy kentpaul who typically can't gas him up without talking about how he'st he realest shit in the game right now and only YT can handle him or some corny shit i'd expect to say about my brother if he was a christian rapper or some shit man i dont even know where this is going

I like Rakim/Eric B, Organized Konfusion, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy.. I'm not sure what time frame you mean exactly.

Tupac was the only one I talked shit about really. I don't like DMX, N.W.A., Jay Z.

you just named like 4 really different groups up there though, haha...which again is fine for older classics but im assuming you didn't mean ATCQ is hard, heh

im not on escha's shit here but i will say that if you don't dig pac, X, NWA or jigga you can certainly be a hip hop fan but it does strike me as odd to miss out on some of the finest stuff. kams reminds me everyday how subjective tastes are so i don't hate, just hope you come around to checking some of that stuff out one day i guess

Jitters

you just named like 4 really different groups up there though, haha...which again is fine for older classics but im assuming you didn't mean ATCQ is hard, heh

im not on escha's shit here but i will say that if you don't dig pac, X, NWA or jigga you can certainly be a hip hop fan but it does strike me as odd to miss out on some of the finest stuff. kams reminds me everyday how subjective tastes are so i don't hate, just hope you come around to checking some of that stuff out one day i guess

Oh, I was trying to name different groups. I didn't know you meant hard. I'm tired.

cdyhybrid

Jitters throws me off because his tastes will align with mine nicely sometimes, but then he'll completely go off the deep end and I can't believe the stuff he's posting at other times. Not saying that it's wrong opinions or whatever, but it feels like half the stuff we agree on, and half we couldn't disagree more.

Esch

Banned
Okay the real fan thing is probably unfair but if you hear some shit like Money Cash Hoes or Express Yourself come on and you make the scust face youre suspicious and we cant be friends

HiResDes

Okay the real fan thing is probably unfair but if you hear some shit like Money Cash Hoes or Express Yourself come on and you make the scust face youre suspicious and we cant be friends
Yea tis a little too clean cut like why be so conscious all the time.

CRS

Glad to see people finally catching up on that Ka. That Earl song is hot. Time to listen to that Gates
Also, listened to half of Rawhyde and I fucking love it so far. Still need to finish listening to the second half but I can already tell that it's going to get a lot of replay out of me.

Haven't been in a music listening mood for a while now so I'm just now getting back in the groove of things.

CRS

Is it weird that I actually prefer Future when he's doing his auto-tune thing over his regular voice. This is why I can't fuck with his verses and sound like shit when his hooks are god tier.

It's why I still prefer Keef over Future even though Future raps complete phrases/sentences. I guess it's mainly because entire Keef tracks are just hooks but still.

Fuck this world, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4tqKgeA_k, is an example of this.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I can understand younger fans not being big on groups like NWA just because their music comes from a different era, at least the first album. Straight out of Compton is from what I personally see as the pre modern era that came about with The Chronic. When the sound of hip hop changed completely. You had Dre's production influence all of the west, and the east stepping it up to not get swept away in the Death Row avalanche so you had a new sound from New York as well. Not to mention this was about the time rap started seeping much more strongly into the mainstream which changed the sound a lot too. Anyways, what I'm babbling about is, a lot of that pre chronic stuff is hard for some younger folk to swallow, with a few exceptions the production and rapping is far more simplistic and repetitive.

But that doesn't seem to be Jitters issue. It seems more like he has a hard time with rappers who are straight up trying to portray a thug/gangsta image. Which I also understand. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for rappers acting like fucking tough guys when most of the real tough guys are the ones dead, in jail, or on their way to either. Growing up I believed scarface or spice 1 would straight up murder me. I had no doubt in my mind listening to these guys they were serious motherfuckers. I was young enough and naive enough to think so. But as an adult I hear the same shit now and struggle to suspend my belief enough to enjoy it like I used to. I still can sometimes, or I just focus on the other aspects of a song instead of the content, but I can understand someone listening to gangsta rap and thinking "man fuck off with that ignorant shit." Because for every rapper who managed to make it sound like story telling or a cautionary tale, there are rappers who sound like fucking fools bragging about ignorant self destructive hateful shit with not a hint of anything to temper that (like humor or self awareness). It was great from eminem because he added humor to it. It was great from 2pac because he had a self awareness. It sounds retarded as fuck coming from some of these rappers who talk about the dumbest shit imaginable without a hint of respect for the seriousness of it, or really any respect for anything at all. Selling drugs isn't cool, murdering someone isn't cool, robbing someone isn't cool, treating women like pieces of shit isn't cool. Unless you can relate those subject matters in a way that makes me laugh or think about the issue itself, I don't want to fucking hear it from your stupid ignorant ass.
Yeah its late and I'm babbling.

edit: and of course rap thats just meant to be fun. Rap thats meant to be about enjoying life and what you have. Nothing at all wrong with that. Even the stuff thats comically exaggerated (I WOKE UP IN A NEW BUGATTI!!! Naw you didn't, you're lying, but you are having fun, I don't have an issue with that).

SadAli

Neo Member
Yea tis a little too clean cut like why be so conscious all the time.

The gangsta rap tag is a lazy classification anyway which ignores the complexity of the message Lots of, for want of a better word, conscious commentary on something like Straight Outta Compton. Not to mention something like early Geto Boys which would be classed as Gangsta but has more worthwhile commentary than a hundred Talib Kweli albums.

Seems like if you appreciate PE but not NWA you need to listen to a bit more.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
994514_555722714491157_832807377_n.jpg

in case anyone is in the area who wants to check it out its this saturday in bk

Detox

Great post siddx, it's why I love Jeezy so much he isn't afraid to have fun but can also be self aware which puts him above the rest of the trap rapper except for probably TI. That balance probably has a lot to do with the 'realness' aspect of it because they come across more human in their songs. It's also the reason why talk to em is one of my favourite songs.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Great post siddx, it's why I love Jeezy so much he isn't afraid to have fun but can't also be self aware which puts him above the rest of the trap rapper except for probably TI. That balance probably has a lot to do with the 'realness' aspect of it because they come across more human in their songs. It's also the reason why talk to em is one of my favourite songs.

I'm not going to lie when I first heard Jeezy my East coast style bias kicked in but after actually listening to him jeezy is one of my favorites same for French Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom