• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Cole is Nas' spiritual successor?

J1E9UIf.png

If you count The Warm Up and FNL as albums, the career trajectories aren't far off.

Flows:
Kendrick>Cole>Drake

Lyrics:
Kendrick>Cole>Drake

Lyrical content/subject matter
Kendrick>Cole>Drake

Song writing:
Kendrick>Drake>>>Cole

Albums (so far)
Kendrick>Drake>Cole

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Flows:
Kendrick>Cole>Drake

Lyrics:
Kendrick>Cole>Drake

Kendrick>Cole>Drake

Song writing:
Kendrick>Drake>>>Cole

Albums (so far)
Kendrick>Drake>Cole
C'mon son, you could've made it look at least half legitimate with this one but you went all in.

Speaking of - this might be old, but here's Nas going in over Cole's Let Nas Down.

Song really shows you just how much better a rapper Nas is compared to his spiritual successor. The impact of the lyrics, the presence. Highly doubtful Cole manages to step into the role comfortably, ever.

Nas still the best.

EDIT: PP IS 100% right.

Let me help yall look at it through PP's eyes
Flows:
Dark Skin>Light Skin>Lighter Skin

Lyrics:

Song writing:
Dark Skin>Lighter Skin>>>Light Skin

Albums (so far)
Dark Skin>Lighter Skin>Light Skin

Trey

A handful of songs against an entire discography of decent to fire hooks.

While Kendrick has more ammo and I would definitely question Drake having a discography bursting at the seams of hooks, that's neither here nor there. I just refuted your condition which disqualified Kendrick. Never mind the verses.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real talk though, if you say Kendrick has better songwriting ability than Drake I think you've earned the right to get the fuck out lmao

Songwriting ability is validated by sheer popularity and and resonance with the masses alone.

Esch

Banned
Songwriting ability is completely fucking subjective, breh. If Die Walküre dropped today you would probably think it's shit because it wouldnt chart
dead.png

Jay Z best songwriter in hip hop confirmed
dead.png

enzo rule is still firmly in effect brehs

Recon

Banned
Real talk though, if you say Kendrick has better songwriting ability than Drake I think you've earned the right to get the fuck out lmao

Songwriting ability is validated by sheer popularity and and resonance with the masses alone.

Wtf??? This makes my brain hurt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The "made Nas proud" thing is mad corny...but I can't hate. Nas killed that beat, wow. Crazy.
SMH @ this.

Songwriting ability is completely fucking subjective, breh. If Die Walküre dropped today you would probably think it's shit because it wouldnt chart
dead.png

Jay Z best songwriter in hip hop confirmed
dead.png

enzo rule is still firmly in effect brehs
Everything is subjective if you want to remove the element of arguing altogether.

Drake pumps out hit after hit after hit after hit. Hooks are a huge part of song writing and let's be real, Kendrick doesn't make it far in that category. He has a few great ones (Money Trees, Spiteful Chant as an unorthodox but good one), but if Drake shows consistency anywhere, it's there. Son knows how to write a song and not just verses.

If you don't consider hooks as part of a song, and thus not part of the process of songwriting, yeah maybe Kendrick can fuck with Drake. But if not, Drake has got that category easy, especially considering PP separated lyrical ability and content. Drakes outstanding songwriting ability is what allows him to be as big as he is and something 99% of rappers lack, especially those that are on the cusp of breaking out but just can't. This is what pushed Wiz over the edge too.

DominoKid

Kendrick's hooks are good enough to get by. He doesn't pump out them struggle joints like Cole or Wale. But there's no way in hell I'd call Kendrick a great hook writer. The Recipe and Swimming Pools are the only ones I'd say are great from the GKMC cycle. I actually thought he had a far better feel for hooks on s80. But I also think s80 is better than GKMC* so there's that.
*the concept me through the songs I don't like: Real, Backseat Freestyle, Dying of Thirst, Good Kid, Sherane

Esch

Banned
Kendrick makes catchy hooks. I still hear people singing shit from Bitch dont kill my vibe and money trees.

His next album will be chock full of pop hooks

edit: Kendrick is way better at storytelling and concept tracks. Drake has catchiness in spades, but like i said, kiddie pools.

Trey

If you don't consider hooks as part of a song, and thus not part of the process of songwriting, yeah maybe Kendrick can fuck with Drake.

If you don't consider the rest of the song a part of the song, and thus not part of the process of songwriting, yeah maybe Drake can fuck with Kendrick.

Songwriting is the composition of a song and how it comes together. Verses, hooks, and the content therein. Sure, you can give Drake the edge as far as hooks go, but Kendrick has a stronger foundation to his songs as well as the substance to make them work throughout. Themes and wordplay set him apart from his contemporary.

I don't think song writing is validated by popularity. Music is full of amazing songwriters (K-OS, Mos Def, Tom Waits, Tribe Called Quest, etc) who don't really sell much, whereas even the corniest shit can generate sales (is anyone going to argue Lil Wayne is a good songwriter?).

I put Kendrick and Drake ahead of Cole on songwriting because I think they're (album) tracks are often better structured than Cole's. Cole can be quite "rappity rap" at times, and while it's impressive it's often not noteworthy. Drake is a solid hook/chorus writer, and more often than not is rather clever. Meanwhile Kendrick is an amazing storyteller and comes up with some amazing ways to utilize his voice without singing. Section 80 is probably a better example than GKMC: just consider how many different type of songs are on that album. Different styles, different tones etc all weaved together perfectly.

Cole feels very...simple ever since FNL. Very dumbed down, basically, not just lyrically but in terms of a general lack of doing anything...different.

DominoKid

Kazeem Famuyide ‏@RealLifeKaz 18m
So us as journalists have to track down fans and their twitter/instagram pages to get the track list for #MagnaCarta. Lol brilliant.

Am I the only one who thinks Section.80 is better than GKMC?

peep my last post.

Drake = J. Cole = Kendrick

I just respect the flows.

...and lets not start 'Make random categories and rap attributes to shit on J. Cole'.

Kaizer

Banned
I don't think song writing is validated by popularity. Music is full of amazing songwriters (K-OS, Mos Def, Tom Waits, Tribe Called Quest, etc) who don't really sell much, whereas even the corniest shit can generate sales (is anyone going to argue Lil Wayne is a good songwriter?).

I put Kendrick and Drake ahead of Cole on songwriting because I think they're (album) tracks are often better structured than Cole's. Cole can be quite "rappity rap" at times, and while it's impressive it's often not noteworthy. Drake is a solid hook/chorus writer, and more often than not is rather clever. Meanwhile Kendrick is an amazing storyteller and comes up with some amazing ways to utilize his voice without singing. Section 80 is probably a better example than GKMC: just consider how many different type of songs are on that album. Different styles, different tones etc all weaved together perfectly.

Cole feels very...simple ever since FNL. Very dumbed down, basically, not just lyrically but in terms of a general lack of doing anything...different.

Probably the biggest problem I have with Cole now, its like he hit his peak with FNL and hasn't really gotten back to anything consistently good. Outside of a few songs like Power Trip or Runaway, I haven't really seen any growth in Cole's production or songwriting ability.

Novid

Banned
Cole shouldn't even be mentioned. I don't know what people see in him. At least Drake got an honest reason... Kendrick on songwriting ability tho? Give me another album then maybe ill agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom