• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Really liking some of the sounds you have on this one. I'm not sure if you delete your beats or not, but you don't, because you can always come back to the ones that were unfinished with new ideas.

Naw I keep em

Got to have them ready for melodies later

Basically Nas thought Work Out sucked ass which it does. Part 2.

edit: it's actually a good story. well worth watching. explains why FNL is far and away the best thing he's done.

So FNL was the result of a over the year in the studio with no one breathing down his neck. Dude should have sold that shit. He makes it sound like Workout was the only thing that was wrong with Cole World but I def think that dropping FNL broke him a little bit. He let his hungriest work go for free

Tokubetsu

While I am a big Drake fan and biased I think you're being slightly unfair against him. Drake never gets as ambitious as Kenneth and Cole lyrically. He's not writing songs dedicated to black on black violence and ugly women.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Kendrick's throwaways are more enjoyable than anything Aubrey the Simpking shits out.

Anyone listen to that WC and Daz album?

I'm honestly in the camp that doesn't think ESGN is all that good. Sure, BFK wasn't that consistent but the highs off BFK are so much higher than ESGN.

siddx

I know Ace must be fucking with this WC/Daz album, some good old west coast shit. Really enjoying the first listen through.

And I gotta continue to stan the fuck out of Jarren Benton. New album is ridiculous.

So FNL was the result of a over the year in the studio with no one breathing down his neck. Dude should have sold that shit. He makes it sound like Workout was the only thing that was wrong with Cole World but I def think that dropping FNL broke him a little bit. He let his hungriest work go for free

I don't see why he didn't put up "in the morning" as the single. That seemed like it hard the potential to be the hit. Then FNL coulda been his album. There's probably a story behind why that didn't happen.

I don't see why he didn't put up "in the morning" as the single. That seemed like it hard the potential to be the hit. Then FNL coulda been his album. There's probably a story behind why that didn't happen.
Isn't it obvious? He didn't want DrKe on his first hit single. That could have been a smash hit but he wanted to win on his own. It worked in the long run obviously; that album sold like 900k records.

siddx

Black Skinheads is the only thing I've listened to more than once so far.

siddx

His 2011 joint was crazy and yea been feeling that WC and Daz heavy

Yeah I loved the 2011 album so I jumped on his new one immediately, not disappointed at all. I got a good haul today, Wreckonize, Jarren Benton, WC/Daz, Chance the Rapper.
I finally got a new macbook charger so I can get caught up on music, I feel so behind.

Isn't it obvious? He didn't want DrKe on his first hit single. That could have been a smash hit but he wanted to win on his own. It worked in the long run obviously; that album sold like 900k records.
I guess. He woulda got out a lot faster with Drake but it worked out for him in the end. He coulda avoided the work out/ let nas down deal and released a better debut album also.

siddx

I've listened to it 3 times. Black Skinheads is definitely a standout. Blood on the Leaves is my favorite.

I've had a very hard time listening to the album. I admit I have a bias against Kanye, I hated MDTFWTFBBSSTD and 808's so I've been disappointed with his work for years. Mix that with an intense dislike of his character and personality and I will freely admit I can't objectively look at his work anymore.

Finally got a chance to sit back and listen to King Remembered In Time from front to back with good speakers, really underrated this album.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol drake lesser than cole? What are you doing ace? I can understand Kendrick because that's right for the most part (some things are arguable. Kendrick does have weaknesses in his song writing, Stans). But cole? Hahahahaahaha

Lately, I've heard multiple voices condemning Yeezus and Saaab Stories (and Ross' rape line, etc.) for their misogynist messages. What did they expect? Why can't people just listen to music without being offended? And what does that even mean? "Offended." If you "offend" someone, so what? It's entertainment, not reality. I'm tired of music reviewers being butthurt over the content of the music they voluntarily listen to. As if they think shitting on things makes them distinguished in some way. There's nothing wrong with enjoying things. /rant

EDIT: Just realized I'm no longer a junior. Huh.

Recon

Banned
Lol drake lesser than cole? What are you doing ace? I can understand Kendrick because that's right for the most part (some things are arguable. Kendrick does have weaknesses in his song writing, Stans). But cole? Hahahahaahaha

Cole has better lyricism,, it's not that hard to see.

I guess my first thoughts on Yeezus is that...it's great. But not amazing. All the tracks are fantastic and it fits neatly in a neat package. 10 track number was smart. The problem is that nothing really sticks out, unlike My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. MBDTF had a lot of memorable stand outs upon first, second, third listen: Dark Fantasy, Power, Monster, All of the Lights, Devil in a New Dress, Blame Game. When MBDTF came out, you heard Power on about every commercial, tv show, movie, and video game. I don't think anything on Yeezus will have the same impact. The biggest compliment I can get Kanye is for giving underground rap themes and content mainstream presence, and that's a part of why it's less approachable than MBDTF: a gift and a curse.

Honestly, I'd rather just listening to MBDTF. I'll keep listening, but one problem with the album is the production. It's very quiet in areas. That's not good for Kanye, because in terms of vocal sound, his voice is not the most appealing of rappers. He's no Q-Tip, Common, or Snoop. Not even a Pac or Jay-Z. So without big production to cover up his voice, his raps don't sound nearly as appealing because he has a very annoying voice. lol.

Funniest thing about Yeezus is how it's getting props by hip hop heads, but 808s and Heartbreak, which hip hop heads HATED, has a very big presence and influence of this albums sound. It feels like a natural evolution of that album in terms of production.

Personally I think Yeezus is far better than MBDTF, which hasn't aged well. With the hype gone, it's a good album but not amazing. Too many guest appearances, too bloated, etc. It's basically Kanye unhinged with no one (Jon Brion, No I.D., etc) to channel his mile-a-minute thought train. Runaway being the prime example.

Yeezus sounds like it would have been a complete mess without Rick Rubin. Consider the horrible version of New Slaves that was projected on buildings last month. That version included a very odd screaming climax, complete with Frank Ocean's mom crooning. The new version guts that entire part of the song and replaces it with some more minimal crooning from Frank Ocean.

The only song I dislike is On Sight, largely because it seems like it has the worst audio quality on the entire album. So far it's my AOTY but I haven't listened to much of anything this year. Czarface was probably the last noteworthy rap release for me. I'll have to check out more stuff, include the Exquire mixtape I still haven't finished.

(although if I include mixtapes, Acid Rap would be my AOTY)

siddx

Lately, I've heard multiple voices condemning Yeezus and Saaab Stories (and Ross' rape line, etc.) for their misogynist messages. What did they expect? Why can't people just listen to music without being offended? And what does that even mean? "Offended." If you "offend" someone, so what? It's entertainment, not reality. I'm tired of music reviewers being butthurt over the content of the music they voluntarily listen to. As if they think shitting on things makes them distinguished in some way. There's nothing wrong with enjoying things. /rant

I agree, I don't get it either. Things don't "offend" me. If I don't like what somebody said, I shrug my shoulders and either ignore them from then on or ignore that statement. Apathy said some stupid ignorant shit on his last album, but I just skipped that song instead of throwing a tantrum about it. The idea of getting offended by things is selfish shit to me. You don't like what someone said? So fucking what, thats not how life works. Get over it. Ignore that person and move on. Not everyone is going to agree with each other, not everyone is going to like what someone else says. If you spend your whole life getting sand in your vagina/foreskin over what people say, you are going to be a miserable and angry person trying to impose your own values on everyone else.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Cole has better lyricism,, it's not that hard to see.
Not easy to see at all. Not only is Cole as corny as drake, his lyrics are over bloated and don't say anything. At least wheel chair jimmy cuts straight to the point with finess and style. Neither have very much in the way of varied substance. They rap about the same exact things on every LP. Their metaphors aren't riveting, and both have good and bad metaphors. I still have yet to see cole use more than a few different flows. The only way I could see you all favoring cole lyrically is because he sounds hungrier? It's also easy to make the argument that every drake x cole song has drake beasting over cole. The next nas he is not. He's not even a watered down nas.

Tokubetsu

Someone was telling me that how the album was made via Evian Christ telling it was Kanye would show up to the hotel room with the producers and say:

"Imagine walking in on your girlfriend having sex with another man, you shoot her, you shoot the man, you shoot yourself. this is what my album is going to sound like"

Then walk out and let them do their thing.

siddx

Someone was telling me that how the album was made via Evian Christ telling it was Kanye would show up to the hotel room with the producers and say:

"Imagine walking in on your girlfriend having sex with another man, you shoot her, you shoot the man, you shoot yourself. this is what my album is going to sound like"

Then walk out and let them do their thing.

lol well then he succeeded because by the end of the album I wanted to shoot myself and everyone around me.

Detox

Ye just getting all that anger and negativity out over before his baby is born. Can't wait for his next album sampling sesame street.

iavi

I'm honestly in the camp that doesn't think ESGN is all that good. Sure, BFK wasn't that consistent but the highs off BFK are so much higher than ESGN.

Yeah, I'm right here with you. There are a couple standout tracks, but kind of like Born Sinner, the thing's too damn long, and hardly consistent.

iavi

I haven't been able to hate on Drake for a while now. Take Care was a damn solid album. I'm actually hyped for dude's next LP.

kamspy

In the piece explaining what Rick Rubin "reduced" from Yeezus. It says "swag" for I'm In It, and that song to me sounded like the track that Tyler would have worked on, given the Tyler rumors from before the album came out. I was pretty shocked he didn't have any writing credits on it. Sounds like some Tyler shit, just a lot higher quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom