• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Danny numbers aren't surprising. Pusha's are. Even if he does like 30k, I expected at least double considering the brand strength.

I guess he lost like ~2k floater sales to Danny when Danny leaked first.

PBY

Banned
Danny numbers aren't surprising. Pusha's are. Even if he does like 30k, I expected at least double considering the brand strength.

I guess he lost like ~2k floater sales to Danny when Danny leaked first.
I thought pusha was supposed to do 75/80

HiResDes

People willing to see Danny live but not buy his album make me sick to my stomach. Danny should be able to do 10K off of Pitchfork readers alone, those pirating pieces of shit.

Esch

Banned
Those numbers are not surprising in the slightest for Pusha really though. People always overestimate him in every way, the Clipse never moved a lot of units and tbh generally his shit is never hot...

overcast

What would be a success for Danny? 10?

I bought the album and am seeing him for the 2nd time in a year next month. I did my part brehs :[

The indie audience didn't come through.

effzee

Rap God is the hollowest shit I've heard all year.

Lol at the exaggeration and hyperbole. No matter what certain dudes can't win with gaf hop. Its not a song for the beat or hook. Just skill on display. Obviously at 6 minutes long its not a single.

But lord it was flames. I'll take MMLP2 if it has 3-4 songs with just skill like this.

HiiiLife

He's 1 for 3 with me after Rap God. I just want to enjoy a majority of it. But it's looking like it's going to be as average as Recovery.

HiResDes

Even though he's on Fool's Gold, he's appeared on Kathy Griffin, toured with A$AP and Baauer, and has a huge cult following of Pitchfork readers hip-hop blog heads, and fans of Trap music. He should at least be able to do 10K. Fool's Gold needs to market him better or better yet he should sign with someone else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even though he's on Fool's Gold, he's appeared on Kathy Griffin, toured with A$AP and Baauer, and has a huge cult following of Pitchfork readers hip-hop blog heads, and fans of Trap music. He should at least be able to do 10K. Fool's Gold needs to market him better or better yet he should sign with someone else.
This bit is the overestimated bit. Yeah they might fuck with you, but will they buy your album?

Also Kathy Griffin isn't a massive platform/audience either. No real demographic match there.

Macca

so what, make him change his style and drop the high pitched voice? Do that and I'm sure he'd sell more albums.

I'd be so depressed if I spent so blood sweat and tears making an album and that shit went plastic.

Thinking of it, the album was probably undershipped too. I went to a best buy in Canada to buy it and they didn't eem have it.

overcast

But, I still don't know if that is a dramatic failure. No doubt I thought he could have done more, but are sales such a huge deal for a label like Fool's Gold? Danny tours a ton.

If Q sells under 50 for example, that is awful. He's on a major label and has some unrealistic expectations.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lol at the exaggeration and hyperbole. No matter what certain dudes can't win with gaf hop. Its not a song for the beat or hook. Just skill on display. Obviously at 6 minutes long its not a single.

But lord it was flames. I'll take MMLP2 if it has 3-4 songs with just skill like this.

If Kendrick made Rap God verbatim, identical track different voice, dudes would be on that savior the game level up your bars shit.

HiResDes

If Kendrick made Rap God verbatim, identical track different voice, dudes would be on that savior the game level up your bars shit.

His flow is on point, but his delivery is awful...Kendrick's delivery is better, and has enough swag to when to slow down and accentuate certain words and punchlines. Rap God is ass.

I am sorry Enzo I don't mean to be insulting when I say this but you not being surprised at Danny's 3k speaks more on you just being oblivious. There are artist that get WAY less shine than Danny and manage to hit 5k first week with no retail release at all.

Now I am not really going to comment on his sales because like I said in my post it isn't the final update until tomorrow

Kimosabae

Banned

Right, because Kendrick hasn't been around 13+ years, continuously dropping verses like Rap God that remind us that he's dope. Kendrick's from a newer era that doesn't display lyricism like that. The Rap God track is dope, but dopeness is old hat for Em', so what's to get excited about if all it is is dope?

mooooose

Danny's numbers don't surprise me. He's an artist whose primary fan base pirates music, who is on a label who has no real distribution in place, whose marketing is free home town shows, and puts out 99% of their labels for free. Also only a month of marketing and push.

Danny will cake off touring. It's fine. He has a AOTY album. If anything it may have some legs.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Right, because Kendrick hasn't been around 13+ years, continuously dropping verses like Rap God that remind us that he's dope. Kendrick's from a newer era that doesn't display lyricism like that. The Rap God track is dope, but dopeness is old hat for Em', so what's to get excited about if all it is is dope?

Why do I need more than bars? Can I be satisfied by just that sometimes?

Esch

Banned
Esch was right about them hipsters

No question. Honestly the best lane to be is in a J. Cole/Drake one, where you have bourgeois rap fans of every nationality buying your shit. Just make safe vanilla bean music, be clean cut, and have some decent bars if you really wanna cake in rap sales as a part of the new school.

mooooose

BTW
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80068029&postcount=16550
Hipsters don't buy music. Hipsters set trends for normal people to follow who buy music. Danny is stuck in hipster limbo. Too black for the whites and too white for the blacks. He'd be wise to try and perform at places like Ezoo if he wants to cake for a short period as a novelty.

Guaranteed Danny does at or under 10k and that will be a success. HnC did first week 4k, I'd imagine that's what Danny do.
ColbertCalledIt.gif

HiResDes

Of course you can. I'm just contextualizing my personal disappointment with Em.

Oh it sounded to me like you were trying to be sarcastic and defending what K.Jack was insinuating about people having some sort of bias against Eminem.

Rap God is all heat. Best song of the year tbh.
:)

I haven't disagree with a statement more all year...Even when Enzo said Indicud was pretty good.

Kimosabae

Banned
Oh it sounded to me like you were trying to be sarcastic and defending what K.Jack was insinuating about people having some sort of bias against Eminem.

Nah, I just agree with him that people's general response would be very different if Kendrick created that verse. Of course there's bias towards Em in this theoretical landscape - people's perceptions color all territories.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am sorry Enzo I don't mean to be insulting when I say this but you not being surprised at Danny's 3k speaks more on you just being oblivious. There are artist that get WAY less shine than Danny and manage to hit 5k first week with no retail release at all.

Now I am not really going to comment on his sales because like I said in my post it isn't the final update until tomorrow
Oblivious to what? His fruity voice? His Unique-yet-unrelatable image? His complete lack of singles outside of some 3000 view YouTube videos of him performing that-one-song that-one-time? Having no core audience besides people F5ing P4K all day long waiting to consume the newest music as fast as they can (who are on to the next one a week before release anyways)?

This past week I tried to put Danny on to three different cousins and they all had the same reaction to his voice even when the beats are hot. Like I said above, people can listen to your shit, fucks with you for features and whatnot, but won't necessarily buy your album. It's an industry reality now that you can be buzzing everywhere, have a bunch of poppin' singles and features and still push sub-100k (no pun intended). So it's easy for me to scale where Danny is at especially when I don't expect him to be caking off of Juggalo or Kathy Griffin appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom