• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
saab stories is the bronson release that addresses a lot of the complaints that people have toward him flow wise etc but sadly harry didn't come with the fire that time

I've listened to it several times but it does nothing for me

he wasnt as comfortable in the persona he just wasnt as developed but its still one of his best works

Alright, I can see that. He's definitely sitting more comfortably in the "Action Bronson" character these days with the absurd lyrics + videos, but I still love that album. Jazzy/big band production = Yesssssssss

mooooose

so blue chips 2 was mostly recorded awhile ago right? he was talking about dropping it before saab stories i think i want more lol

mooooose

i like bronson features a lot because hes a great contrast or hearing someone else's flow he will sometimes mimic them a little and makes his verses more interesting

PBY

Banned
kAUsFUN.png

how is this possible for mmlp2

mooooose

most of those publications are meaningless

most PUBLICATIONS are meaningless

music is the most accessible and abundant media available just figure out what you like and listen to it

Esch

Banned
really though Bronson took the jokes to 11 this time so i think his next project should be super serious/introspective with some dark humor

Kwixotik

really though Bronson took the jokes to 11 this time so i think his next project should be super serious/introspective with some dark humor

I dunno, man, I like Bronson mostly comedic with maybe a couple introspective tracks. I mean the dude is always smiling, I think it'd feel contrived if he just got really dark all the sudden.

T Dollarz

Count me in the camp of those that now loves all 6 of Bronson's projects. Homie can do no wrong. Wouldn't even know how to rank them, they're all on point.

Rare Chandeliers had amazing production. It's Alchemist, so I guess that's a given, lol.

And that album art has to be like top 10 GOAT album art material.

1. Dr. Lecter
2. Blue Chips
3. Rare Chandeliers / Blue Chips 2
5. Well Done
6. SAAAB Stories

I still think Dr. Lector is his most well rounded project. It starts strong, it finishes strong, and has a unique sound. Blue Chips 1 has some of my favorite individual Bronson tracks on there. Rare Chandeliers is 3rd if only for Alchemist, but Blue Chips 2 is right there because of those samples and the vibe of the whole tape. Well Done is good but not particularly super strong, and SAAAB Stories was just "okay" from a combo that should've been "omgggg" (except for Heel Toe which is greatness but wasn't even officially on the EP)

That's not far off mine, I don't think Dr. Lecter is many people's favourite, but I think it's impressive throughout and has some of his highest points.

1. Dr. Lecter
2. Blue Chips 2 = Rare Chandeliers
4. Blue Chips
5. Well-Done
6. The Program (EP)
7. Saaab Stories

illadelph

was hoping the media would shit on em's album, causing him to possibly react with some better music in the future, but ohh well

Esch

Banned
was hoping the media would shit on em's album, causing him to possibly react with some better music in the future, but ohh well

you gotta realize at this point none of these guys give an inkling of a shit about media evaluations of their music.

They're selling plat first week, they already have all their championship rings, etc..

Bronson's extreme positivity is really unusual in hip hop right now, and just for that I'd like to see it continue.

It's refreshing. Although imo some of his best songs are the darker ones, and I'd love to see him experiment more with them. Not a full, dark album but pockets of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
If you told me this was an excerpt the actual pitchfork review, I'd believe you.

It is true, though. The implications that people might draw from that statement might be a bit absurd, but the fact of the matter is: Eminem has such a comprehensive clutch on the art's mechanics that he can do Yoda impressions and make them work. Not many artists do/can take innovative risks like that. Only at that level do you start to realize how much freedom you really have in doing this shit.

"Har-art".

#swag

effzee

I don't the critics responded well to Relapse or Recovery. Recovery I thought did a bit better reviews wise but I think on metacrtic they both are in the 60s.

And this is just a small sample of reviews. By the time they all add up it will be either in the 60s or low 70s. And lol @ Em or his camp buying reviews. For what? To boost sales?

Don't worry guys Pitchfork will give it a 2 or 3 out of 10.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This Yeller EP is.. well pretty forgettable. WAY too long, should've just been trimmed down to the Rittz verse and Light Switch.

It is true, though. The implications that people might draw from that statement might be a bit absurd, but the fact of the matter is: Eminem has such a comprehensive clutch on the art's mechanics that he can do Yoda impressions and make them work. Not many artists do/can take innovative risks like that. Only at that level do you start to realize how much freedom you really have in doing this shit.

"Har-art".

#swag
The implication is that his funny impersonation voices are tired and for lack of better words, antiquated, much like his angry style. Nobody is doubting he has a fanbase who will accept anything he puts out. I don't think you have to have a grasp on anything technical in hip-hop to be able to change your delivery, especially in the juxtapository ways Eminem does. I wouldn't call it brave or refreshing either, it reminds me of old Em at the height of his popularity.

JohnDoe

Banned

"Har-art".

#swag

Great post, you almost had me.

Kimosabae

Banned
As someone that raps, I believe it definitely takes a certain level of comfort with the creation process to be able to vary your performances to that degree. I'm not saying that it isn't tired or that it's refreshing - but it's relatively unique in the genre. Rappers have a template that they focus on when creating (like any artist) and Em deviates from his template more often and better than most deviate from theirs.

Don't see how that's controversial, here, of all places.

Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom