• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
Racism is not only about ill intent. Not even "generally". Ill intent isn't any requirement for something being racist.

Then what are we talking about, then? Every form of exchange between two or more parties of people is some form of racism.

*shrug*

Again, it's part of my point about the word becoming meaningless. If intent doesn't matter ( and if people generally don't mean "ill" intent), there's plenty of other words we can use. If the definition is as broad as: "discrimination for/against a race people", what isn't racism?

*edit*

Admittedly, I'm not as confident in my interpretation on the matter as I was before you posted, so I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. If can, please go into regarding where my thinking is wrong.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Racism is not only about ill intent. Not even "generally". Ill intent isn't any requirement for something being racist.

I understand this and wouldn't argue against it really...but I will say for me intent is everything. I will put up with a lot because I know the intent behind it is humor. On the other hand when the intent is clearly hate I have no problem standing up and calling people out on it. I've kicked people of my car on highways, verbally slapped people around in public, and even called out friends I really like over racist statements where the intent was clearly hateful rather than humorous. I have a fucked up sense of humor and a lot of horrifying shit comes outof my mouth in the pursuit of humor. If I expect others to understand the intent behind my statements to be purely humor and not hate, I feel I need to give others that luxury too. So you really have to go blatant for me to stop and go "fuck dude that is racist as shit, I'm not ok with that."
For instance one of the most amusing, to me, things to do is go up to my super Jewish mother and say something "what's good my n***a". As a white guy that word coming out of my mouth sets off alarm bells for most people. But my intent is clearly not hate, it's humor in that calling my old Jewish mom the n word is hilarious in how absurd it is.
Im drunk and rambling. I probably dont make a lick of sense right now.

Dereck

fell off, treading the mediocrity pool, or floating in a pure black void of wasted talent...

its all the same.
He's released too many mixtapes, too much material in a short time span. The released 4eva N a Day as a mixtape and not a studio album, what

So y'all just gonna sleep on that new Kendrick?

Fl4dIsZ.png

JohnDoe

Banned
@Kimosabae

So this discussion doesn't go completely off the rails, let's go back to where it started:

My initial point was that a lot of people used Kanye's bad image as a cover-up to post things against him which contained ignorance towards white privilege. In another thread some people also used it as a cover-up to post generalizing statements on black people.
Some people basically are thinking they can join the Kanye-bashing bandwagon (which I am a part of too) just to inject their prejudices, generalizing statements and political agenda on race.

I think if you deny white privilege, you are being racist to some extent because it's clear how well white people are off compared to black people in the USA and the reason for that is the white privilege. Denying white privilege doesn't leave many factors that could explain this situation. After all, if they have the same shot at life, how are black people that much worse off?

The only explanation that's left is to say that they have some inherent qualities that prevent them from being successful.

And to address your comment about everything being racist, I wouldn't say so, but a lot of things we say are racist. But what I am complaining about is statements etc. that are furthering ignorant ideas that are damaging, with or without ill intent.

@siddx

I don't do such jokes, but I don't get offended by them and I laugh at them. To me personally jokes are a completely different territory.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
@Kimosabae

So this discussion doesn't go completely off the rails, let's go back to where it started:

My initial point was that a lot of people used Kanye's bad image as a cover-up to post things against him which contained ignorance towards white privilege. In another thread some people also used it as a cover-up to post generalizing statements on black people.
Some people basically are thinking they can join the Kanye-bashing bandwagon (which I am a part of too) just to inject their prejudices, generalizing statements and political agenda on race.

I think if you deny white privilege, you are being racist to some extent because it's clear how well white people are off compared to black people in the USA and the reason for that is the white privilege. Denying white privilege doesn't leave many factors that could explain this situation. After all, if they have the same shot at life, how are black people that much worse off?

The only explanation that's left is to say that they have some inherent qualities that prevent them from being successful.

And to address your comment about everything being racist, I wouldn't say so, but a lot of things we say are racist. But what I am complaining about is statements etc. that are furthering ignorant ideas that are damaging, with or without ill intent.

@siddx

I don't do such jokes, but I don't get offended by them and I laugh at them. To me personally jokes are a completely different territory.

Ah I see what you are talking about now. Yeah the denial of white privledge is frustrating and odd. I will say that there are white people in the US who also suffer from preconceptions, generalizations, and a lack of opportunities that other white people get due to their economic standing. But people who don't understand why being white largely provides you with privilege, seem to lack an understand of social issues and history. When I lived in the US, I was very lucky to be white in that I didn't have to deal with immediate prejudices that plague minorities. I had privilege and I knew it.

I grew up a white Jewish kid in Asia and Latin America and I of course stood out like a sore thumb. I struggle to describe the experience from a racial and privilege standpoint without sounding bitter or petty (and I am neither, I love the fact I grew up that way) or like I'm trying to compare or take pity on myself. Make no mistake, despite being a super minority and never being able to leave the house for longer than five seconds without being stereotyped and treated differently because of how I looked, I am under no illusion that my inability to fit into society and the fact I was treated with preconceived notions due to my appearance somehow puts me in the same shoes as minorities, especially black folk. It does however, in my opinion, give me more awareness of how our prejudices and/or perceptions of people based on appearance and race creates a society where certain people have more advantages than others based on the power structure within the county.
Again, I am even drunker now than before so I may be rambling incoherently, so I apologise.

JohnDoe

Banned
Ah I see what you are talking about now. Yeah the denial of white privledge is frustrating and odd. I will say that there are white people in the US who also suffer from preconceptions, generalizations, and a lack of opportunities that other white people get due to their economic standing. But people who don't understand why being white largely provides you with privilege, seem to lack an understand of social issues and history. When I lived in the US, I was very lucky to be white in that I didn't have to deal with immediate prejudices that plague minorities. I had privilege and I knew it.

I grew up a white Jewish kid in Asia and Latin America and I of course stood out like a sore thumb. I struggle to describe the experience from a racial and privilege standpoint without sounding bitter or petty (and I am neither, I love the fact I grew up that way) or like I'm trying to compare or take pity on myself. Make no mistake, despite being a super minority and never being able to leave the house for longer than five seconds without being stereotyped and treated differently because of how I looked, I am under no illusion that my inability to fit into society and the fact I was treated with preconceived notions due to my appearance somehow puts me in the same shoes as minorities, especially black folk. It does however, in my opinion, give me more awareness of how our prejudices and/or perceptions of people based on appearance and race creates a society where certain people have more advantages than others based on the power structure within the county.
Again, I am even drunker now than before so I may be rambling incoherently, so I apologise.

Don't worry, you are very coherent. More coherent than most of GAF lol

CRS

*how the first film is the best one and how 2 fast 2 furious is better than tokyo drift*
First film is the best just because of the quotes.

"Yo Dom! Why'd you bring the buster here?

Because the buster kept me out of handcuffs! He didn't just run back to the fort, the buster brought me back."

"I like the tuna here.

Bullshit asshole! No one likes the tuna here!"

Esch

Banned
MY MAN

2F2F has some of the best moments in the entire series. Action scene and quote wise.

Yesss. If the ultimate point of watching FnF movies is corny one liners, car scenes with some of the goofiest things on 4 wheels known to man, and bro moments, then 2 is a clear winner.

Fast 5 > The Fast and The Furious > Fast & Furious 6 > 2 Fast 2 Furious > Fast & Furious > Tokyo Shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yesss. If the ultimate point of watching FnF movies is corny one liners, car scenes with some of the goofiest things on 4 wheels known to man, and bro moments, then 2 is a clear winner.

Fast 5 > The Fast and The Furious > Fast & Furious 6 > 2 Fast 2 Furious > Fast & Furious > Tokyo Shit.
This might be my actual ranking too, though I might switch the original and 5.

I was sorta underwhelmed by F&F6 when I first watched it coming off of Fast 5, so I don't know where I'd rank it yet. Fuck it, ima watch it again tonight.

Esch

Banned
TBH i dont know how i feel about 6 either. I think I still enjoyed it, but had a mild taste of jumping the shark. It felt like they were too consciously trying to play into the tropes that make these movies fun, you know?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
cole probably cried into his mommas titties after the control verse and left a face imprint on her shirt.

jpegmlqpq.jpg

overcast

Fast Five is the best, 6 and 1 are the next best. Fuck 2 Fast and Drift. Garbage. Never saw the 4th.

I bought Arkham Origins for 30, love the first 2, couldn't pass it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom