• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

tumblr_mdz05a6oSS1ri5bkco1_500.jpg

holy shit.

overcast

After multiple listens- anyone wish Old was thematically fresher and more coherent?
Danny shouldn't be "coherent" in the typical sense. I mean this album makes sense put together. There are a ton of sounds going on, but there is a sense of theme to the whole project. I think he tackles some usual themes in fresh ways.
It was obvious some people would hate that side.
Yeah, figured people would. I love it for it's own reasons though.

Esch

Banned
I really, really like it- but (and maybe this is on me, not Danny) I'm trying to answer the question of "What was Danny trying to say with this album as a whole" and I'm coming up short.

I view it as more of a musical journey, kind of like XXX was. Not every album 'has a message', nor does it have to to be classic or great material. I feel the same way about Yeezus.

Went up to a super cute barista today after class and asked her out. She seemed taken aback, but flattered and asked me to hang around (there were others in line behind me). I waited a bit until she came over, and we talked for a few minutes. Then she said she had a boyfriend. I thanked her for the tea she made me, told her to have a good day, and walked out. Blasted "Dope Song" on the way home with the windows down. Shit felt so good.

PBY

Banned
I view it as more of a musical journey, kind of like XXX was. Not every album 'has a message', nor does it have to to be classic or great material. I feel the same way about Yeezus.

Maybe were just framing something in different words- but I like to think that every album does have some message- not necessarily a narrative, but hopefully some general theme, tone, concept, personal POV, etc from the artist to listener, be it through the sonic arrangement, lyrics, sequencing, etc. Even a relatively bland/safe/generic album (take French's for example- he's trying to be the party guy who made it and has moments of introspection) has an overall conveyance of some idea.

I just see OLD as a slicker XXX- but maybe thats the point. I need to listen to more DB interviews/read some reviews.

Btw- I didn't really mean my statement as a criticism, more just an opening for discussion. I love to hear other perspectives on stuff like this and have my views on a work change. Its why I'm eagerly anticipating the P4K review.

PBY

Banned
Miley's album goes harder than 99% of rap albums this year will.

#onlyfacts #thesebeatswhew

I love that shes exposing white girls and middle America to fucking Future, French Montana, and Mike Will

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought this was the reason why everyone held XXX so high up and gave a lot of the middling songs a pass.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
womp womp

I do blast rap music all the time around my white, super-sororified gf and her friends. Weirdly, they love the Tity Boi. Chief Keef, not so much.

apparently not enough to buy BOATS 2

ignorant mixes!!! expose them!!! Do it!!

thabiz

so side a is dope. DOPE. side b is played out baauer shit. its such a harder smack in the face after the awesome beginning. Handstand is probably the strongest on side b. rest is pandering trash. danny, your better than this.

Mik317

As a person who only ever heard Danny Brown on other peoples songs,

Side A was a mindblowing experience.

"is this the same guy? the fuck is even?"

It's like two different rappers lo.

Any reason why he does the high pitched fast crazy voice?

His normal voice. Him rapping deep isn't.

so side a is dope. DOPE. side b is played out baauer shit. its such a harder smack in the face after the awesome beginning. Handstand is probably the strongest on side b. rest is pandering trash. danny, your better than this.

...you don't like Dope Song or Float On?

RJT

Listen to XXX. Now!

Esch

Banned
Wonder how many copies of NWTS Birdman bought. Theres probably a landfill somewhere in new orleans filled with shitty Cash Money albums and AOL trial discs.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wonder how many copies of NWTS Birdman bought. Theres probably a landfill somewhere in new orleans filled with shitty Cash Money albums and AOL trial discs.

Maybe 1 for his niece

IrishNinja

feelin like a barber shop with the alien talk last page

Daaaaamn Drake getting that NBA money.

200 Mil? Go home Kendrick, Drizzy's not in your tax bracket.

brb need some pop gaf gifs

False. Too female centric, and the singing. But a lot of their business ideas and faults are the same... its just the music is nothing alike.

yeah, also comin up way different, far different influences etc but id co-sign this

damn, this was like a mini-plug for me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, Ross almost had G Rap signed to MMG? I'm guessing Triple C era? I've never heard the record they did together.

I wonder what MMG would've been if we went down that path. Imagine X and G Rap on MMG.

Agree though, Ross should take Kanye's offer. Imagine what that album was like in 200x.

Also lmao @ Jay's response when Ciph sent him Everyday I'm Hustlin'.

Great Juan Ep as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom