• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Fellate Kanye as being an avantgarde creative genius when he's hiring other people to make his music, brehs.

iwdZNsLSaDscP.png

Red 2 Go is like XXX Danny to me. Up tempo yet not crazy fast Danny Brown talking shit. Most of Side A is like a slower, more gritty Brown - and most of Side B is Brown completely out of control. The album doesn't have too many tracks like Pac Blood or Monopoly which are hype, but feature a more controlled Brown.

overcast

Even though we heard that first verse before the album dropped, that Oh No beat makes it crazy. It's such a great verse. There wasn't enough middling Danny which made up most of Side A on XXX. Red 2 Go was one of the only times we got that. We either got depressed introspection or depressed party anthems.
Yeah, that's true. I think that goes a long way in giving Old a different identity though. Good thing this album lived up to my hype since Oxy is MIA.

"This blonde made the dick do the spray outta Contra"

mooooose

Red 2 Go is like XXX Danny to me. Up tempo yet not crazy fast Danny Brown talking shit. Most of Side A is like a slower, more gritty Brown - and most of Side B is Brown completely out of control. The album doesn't have too many tracks like Pac Blood or Monopoly which are hype, but feature a more controlled Brown.
Monopoly is still my favorite Danny song and the song that defines XXX to me. Well, other than 30.

Esch

Banned
When other people use ghostwriters and ghostproducers, theyre over the hill or cant create.

When Kanye does it, he is an innovative collaborator bringing musicians together on a scale never seen before. Praise him.

When other people use ghostwriters and ghostproducers, theyre over the hill or cant create.

When Kanye does it, he is an innovative collaborator bringing musicians together on a scale never seen before. Praise him.

I thought everyone was given their writing credits on yeezus. Seemed like it to me

Esch

Banned
Either way, its other people been making his music for a long while now. Its time to put the dental dams away when it comes to lauding his originality, tbh

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

What happens when a producer needs a specific person to come in and play specific piano notes but can't play themselves? Are they uncreative?

Logic consistently flawed here fam, don't know where your going with this. Blurring lines that essentially disregard a significant amount of production altogether in the genre.

mooooose

Bottom line is Kanye can bring the best out of some people and does have a good ear but for every one success he has, he makes 100 overproduced pieces of garbage. The downside of being the innovator of collaborative producing in hip hop. When you have 50 people focus testing a song it'll come out sounding soulless and auto tuned to fuck by Kanye after the fact. I'm curious what happens to Hudmo after Ye is done with him, if he will just be tossed to the side like Hit Boy because Hit Boy wanted to rap. Ye has become as parasitic as Jay and even more clever at ripping people off, he doesn't wait until what he rips hits hip hop culture, he just checks Pitchfork. Smh at all this. Some ridiculous and unforgiving stanning by enzo.

Esch

Banned
Cant wait for the gaf hop mixtape to be called Eschus World 2001 by Esch. Ill hire you guys to make it. Ill drop some hot one liners on it, and yall can autotune the rest.

HiResDes

Kanye can make use of a bunch of artists and producers and unite them under a vision and concept that undeniably sounds like his own...Jay-Z cannot.

Either way, its other people been making his music for a long while now. Its time to put the dental dams away when it comes to lauding his originality, tbh

Well really I don't feel that's in correlation of each other at all. you could approach someone with ideas you have, but feel like you don't have the execution to pull it off so you get helped. I don't think getting help takes away your originality when it is you who came up with the idea in the first place. Just means you weren't the one who could pull through with the execution of it all the way through. Nothing wrong with that

mooooose

Kanye can make use of a bunch of artists and producers and unite them under a vision and concept that undeniably sounds like his own...Jay-Z cannot.
Just saying that if Ye took one thing from his mentor, it's his ability to use others for whatever his agenda is. With his desire to constantly evolve hip hop and be original and artistic, I'm assuming the turn over for Very GOOD Beats to become even higher.

Edit - Ye is actually very much the Steve Jobs of hip hop. Maybe not for what his intended definition is, but in terms of picking good ideas and expanding on them and "executing" them well. But unlike Jobs, who takes a clinical thing like software and would try to inject life into it, Ye has an uncanny ability to make music sound boring as fuck and he isn't a talented MC. He's boring.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bottom line is Kanye can bring the best out of some people and does have a good ear but for every one success he has, he makes 100 overproduced pieces of garbage. The downside of being the innovator of collaborative producing in hip hop. When you have 50 people focus testing a song it'll come out sounding soulless and auto tuned to fuck by Kanye after the fact. I'm curious what happens to Hudmo after Ye is done with him, if he will just be tossed to the side like Hit Boy because Hit Boy wanted to rap. Ye has become as parasitic as Jay and even more clever at ripping people off, he doesn't wait until what he rips hits hip hop culture, he just checks Pitchfork. Smh at all this. Some ridiculous and unforgiving stanning by enzo.
Nobody is countering my arguments, instead y'all are just countering with "but I don't like the songs."

I don't see y'all saying this same shit to Dre or Timbo with regards to what you guys are specifically mad at. Suddenly Kanye doesn't do it behind closed doors, gives people credit when it's due, and puts it in an open forum framework and its a fucking travesty

HiResDes

Just saying that if Ye took one thing from his mentor, it's his ability to use others for whatever his agenda is. With his desire to constantly evolve hip hop and be original and artistic, I'm assuming the turn over for Very GOOD Beats to become even higher.

I should have said can no longer

DominoKid

Nobody is countering my arguments, instead y'all are just countering with "but I don't like the songs."

I don't see y'all saying this same shit to Dre or Timbo with regards to what you guys are specifically mad at. Suddenly Kanye doesn't do it behind closed doors, gives people credit when it's due, and puts it in an open forum framework and its a fucking travesty

it's just musical classicism really. producing as rap audiences understand it is just beatmaking. so god forbid a hip hop artist actually produces in the conventional sense...

fwiw people do try to shit on Dre for it. Timbo just gets shitted on for outright plagiarism.

mooooose

Dre and Timbo do it too and it sucks.

I am countering, the songs are boring and fail to innovate music in any way that others aren't already doing in their bedrooms. Ye is a poseur, he doesn't care about Chicago music scene, and he is just looking at Pitchfork to see what's hot in other genres and how he can apply it to what's new. He's infact not even trying to make his versions of those songs, but just enlisting the artists he likes to collab with him. It's even more lazy and the music is boring as fuck.

Esch

Banned
yall taking this way too seriously. It's just fun to mess w/ enzo every once in a while to get him to say something like Kanye made Polos popular.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
it's just musical classicism really. producing as rap audiences understand it is just beatmaking. so god forbid a hip hop artist actually produces in the conventional sense...

fwiw people do try to shit on Dre for it. Timbo just gets shitted on for outright plagiarism.
That's true.

Moooose and Esch just exemplifying that closed minded mentality I guess (Esch surely is just trolling though). Circle the argument with insults so you don't have to argue it, then shit on a genre known for its collaborative aspects for being too collaborative and ultimately criticize the principal creator and producer for not doing their job as a principal director of the music and then acknowledge their role as the principal director at the same time.

You can not like the music but shitting on the method for what it is is straight paradoxical. No point in arguing further if you can't explain the contradiction.

EDIT: Esch knows me too well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bout to dive into The Night's Gambit. My first Ka album. Should I listen to a previous release first or should I just dive in?

Esch

Banned
Bout to dive into The Night's Gambit. My first Ka album. Should I listen to a previous release first or should I just dive in?

Nah just jump right in. Also, pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage.

edit: actually listening to Reloaded first aint a bad idea

Yeezus and hires got me onto dat Evian Christ

He has a a future in hip hop if he ever wants it

The only suitable drink for nights gambit is like dirty cheap booze. Be a method listener brah

Mik317

Yo let me find out Ma$e is making another come back. It was nice of Push to give him a track on his album....

wait.

mooooose

I didn't go to the Danny release party tonight.

But he's doing a free Boiler Room show tomorrow.

AND my friend just got booked for TWO shows for CMJ next week. One is sponsored by Gorilla vs Bear.

And I'm seeing Title Fight this Sunday.

Sooooooooo best week of my life?

edit - nooooooooooooooooooo the rsvp for this danny show isn't a guarantee, its a lottery. fml.

kamspy

Side A, the song,fits that bill perfectly.

Cheddahz

Banned

Did we already get off for the night? It is telling me that the service is not available

overcast

Old had me thinking. Any of you grow up in the heart of the ghetto? Or just a tough growing up experience in general?

I never stayed in one spot, and I moved all over the place. Lived in some not great areas around LA, but my mom still took me all the way to the good areas for school. My conflicts were more internal family shit, it got bad (no power/water plenty of times, borderline homeless), but I'm thankful it didn't get as bad as it could have.

I think upbringing connects a lot of us to rap, so I'm curious.

PBY

Banned
Old had me thinking. Any of you grow up in the heart of the ghetto? Or just a tough growing up experience in general?

I never stayed in one spot, and I moved all over the place. Lived in some not great areas around LA, but my mom still took me all the way to the good areas for school. My conflicts were more internal family shit, it got bad (no power/water plenty of times, borderline homeless), but I'm thankful it didn't get as bad as it could have.

I think upbringing connects a lot of us to rap, so I'm curious.
I had this weird situation where my fam was super poor until I was 8-9ish, then my dads small biz stabilized and we were pretty middle class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom