• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
The monotone, spoken word delivery. The heavy figurative language. It's like a Dostoevsky novel, it takes effort to engage yourself into the music. And sometimes that effort is rewarded.

I'll give it another listen. I'm going to hold you accountable for that Dostoevsky reference in hopes you weren't just listening to Jay Electronica while you were typing that shit lol.

Mik317

Old had me thinking. Any of you grow up in the heart of the ghetto? Or just a tough growing up experience in general?

I never stayed in one spot, and I moved all over the place. Lived in some not great areas around LA, but my mom still took me all the way to the good areas for school. My conflicts were more internal family shit, it got bad (no power/water plenty of times, borderline homeless), but I'm thankful it didn't get as bad as it could have.

I think upbringing connects a lot of us to rap, so I'm curious.

I wouldn't call my fam rich but I am definitely blessed. Never went without anything I need or wanted but I just found out that my mom and dad have been check to check for a while.

I am one lucky mofo.

I was born and raised and currently live in North Philly, which isn't the best but I don't fuck with dudes outside nor do I just stand on corners like a bum so I wouldn't know about how hard it is out there because fuck that shit. I am not about that life

You would think these conye stans who love yeezus so much would actually listen to some evian christ, hudmo, death grips etc. but nah

Window shoppers the lot

I don't know. Felt like Arca got a bit more notice after Yeezus. I don't think &&&&& would have gotten any mention without him being on it. One of the best mixes of the year, too. Glad more people heard it. Not a lot of people, but more is more.

J. Cole concert was great!

It was like a story behind told with the music and I between interlude type songs.

Favorite song played was definitely Mo Money. It was just the tune with the bass in the background getting louder and louder.

Inb4someoneasksifsomeonefellasleep

Old had me thinking. Any of you grow up in the heart of the ghetto? Or just a tough growing up experience in general?

I never stayed in one spot, and I moved all over the place. Lived in some not great areas around LA, but my mom still took me all the way to the good areas for school. My conflicts were more internal family shit, it got bad (no power/water plenty of times, borderline homeless), but I'm thankful it didn't get as bad as it could have.

Puerto Rican poor person here. Lived in the ghetto until I turned 5, then my mom/step dad and I moved to Cleveland. We weren't in the ghetto anymore, just poor. My uncles liked to remind us where we came from by selling drugs/stealing/pimping. Fun times. Now my mom and I live in Florida where we are slowly, but surely getting better.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
100413-wild-out-600-1380907204.jpg

Borgore Ft. Waka - Wildout

...And it begins

Juicy J paving the way

mooooose

I grew up upper middle class and then my parents got divorced and now my mom and I are piss poor. I'm in school which doesn't help.

IrishNinja

"I Am a Black Nerd" by Donalt Gluteburg (TRACKLIST)

6. Nintendo Dual Swag ft. A$AP Rocky
16. Soliloquy ft. Drake

BONUS TRACKS
17. Spindashing's Song
18. Praystation ft. Pusha T

id skip the rest but these sound dope

Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox,
GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever?
Def LS2.

welcome back, man of taste and foresight

nice, thanks for this man

the Chris Brown rule was invented for Ne-Yo. i can at least tolerate Chris Brown's voice.

Ne-Yo makes enjoyable tracks though, so i don't follow

as a sega fan i sympathize with the deeply-rooted desire to have my weird views validated by outside sources, however questionable

I don't think ye checks lame ass sites like pitchfork

i think ye cntrl + f "YE" 's on them at least once a day until he found a guy he could pay for an app that does that and emails him all hits filtered down to keywords "visionary", "hack", "generation" and "relevant"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I think it's what draws us all together. I don't get what a middle-upper class kid sees in rap, to be honest. Not that I'm hating on whatever they see in it. The more the merrier. But I don't get how they can vibe to something that speaks about how shitty life can be while they're driving daddy's car to their private school.

njean777

I think it's what draws us all together. I don't get what a middle-upper class kid sees in rap, to be honest. Not that I'm hating on whatever they see in it. The more the merrier. But I don't get how they can vibe to something that speaks about how shitty life can be while they're driving daddy's car to their private school.

I am not upper middle class, but middle class and I like rap because it shows me a different perspective about life. It is interesting to hear the stories that these rappers tell. I like the Swag stuff as well, but a good story about their life is just as good and most of the time more powerful. Nothing wrong with people listening to rap for different perspectives. Take "Torture" off of Old; really interesting and eye opening about ghetto life and what happens, and gaining knowledge in any avenue you can is never a bad thing.

I have never been rich, nor very poor, just purely in the middle.

IrishNinja

not exactly but one time this scary person of colour approached with magazines, and i twisted my ankle running, so i feel like i've lived it

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
when i was younger (much younger) my family lived in a very spotty neighborhood and we had a shotgun blast go through our front door where I was sleeping at the time.

we got out of there a few years later when we could afford it. most of my family on my dads side has ties to gangs. bikers and street gangs, up and down california. supposedly my grandfather has ties to old mexican gangs, but he doesn't talk about his tattoos with anyone and it's taboo within the family to dig.

You don't have to identify with something to find it fascinating. Identification can lead to a greater sense of attachment but on a basic level, struggle-rap is something that people can understand simply by being human. Rappers love mafioso shit but its not because they were about that life, they're enamored by the imagery and culture in the same way middle-class people are fascinated by broke people. You can't say only broke people appreciated drug side of The Wire. It just takes a bit of empathy and a willingness to yourself up to the idea that you can be enlightened to how other people are living. Or it could just be entertainment, fuck it.

cryptic

Venting:
Always had to worry about money but didn't let it get to me until I turned 16 or so and I had to pay bills.
I also realized I couldn't get girls since I couldn't afford a car and I kind of fell back to appreciate the younger days due to all the sudden onset stress and the loneliness a dead end job brings.

Before that I went to the inner city ghetto schools though I was from outside about 4-5 miles away from the hood.
I suffer from autism and ADHD and I couldn't fit in at very strict Catholic schools where I was originally placed so I found my place in that environment of class disruption.

Shit was tough at first, I got bullied since I was so quiet and always just kind of watched people to figure out how others acted. Once I found my lane I made friends with the tough kids and gained popularity. All those friends joined gangs and found crime with no other options.

I left them thinking I could make it straight through saving off low level jobs. I was wrong, stay in school guys, I'm all alone, most of my family are dead, friends are gone, everyday is just bitching about money woes and there's no good to this.

I went to college and failed because I was no rich kid's friend and I had to work 115 hrs. per week with school, hw, and dish washing.
Now I'm trying to write a book lol, trying to rap with some old infrequent friends, but really I told myself that come 28 if I can't wake up without this weight I'm buying a gun and ending it.

Life in the streets is just life in poverty surrounded by dudes of the same ilk, dope rap tracks are just like finding a mirror with the perfect lighting. You may find one that calms you but you shouldn't always need to distort the image to make you feel better about your life.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The ghetto? No, never grew up in a ghetto. A literal war-zone? Yeah. So yes I know what it's like to spend every day wondering whether a bullet was coming through the front of your house, or you'd walk out your front door into a gun battle, or that bomb threat at the school would finally be real. I had teachers and classmates and parents disappear or get killed. El Salvador in the 80's was no joke.
But I was lucky enough to have parents who worked their asses off to provide for us and earn their way up the payscale. We weren't rich by any means, so while I wanted but couldn't have plenty, I never needed but couldn't get anything.

Well I'm from Canada.

When I was younger I used to live in the Islands. The area I lived in wasn't the worst, but it was in front of a bar.. a bar that would get stuck up because of all the gambling and shit that would get there.

I remember seeing a guy showing a girl a gun in his far right in my house.

There was a homeless looking dude who would walk around with a cutlass. The cops were looking for him.. dude happened to be sitting on the steps of my house and starting threatening me to get him a drink and waving his cutlass at me.. I was like 8 years old cmonson. Eventually the cops passed my place looking for him, my mom got the attention of the cops and they hit him over the head with a wooden board lol.

Another story.. my mom was tutoring this kid who was a probably around 16-18, I didn't know him much, but my mom was teaching him English and the kids there were not the brightest pack of children you could find. Anyway, one day I was out WAY later than I should be at that age in the ghetto (9PM or so coming home from a friends house) someone comes up behind me and grabs me and puts a gun to my head. Starts whispering "You know who this is huh?'

Shoots the gun right beside my ear.. its a cap gun. Then dude shows himself .. yea I didn't find it funny lol.

I eventually moved back to Canada in 2001 and well you know Canada..
tumblr_mi16bb1ySt1qknz5to1_500.gif

To present. Just me and my mom, we be struggling but it's alright. Could be a LOT worse. Wouldn't say I'm eating though.

Moved out of a shitty neighborhood when I was really young (5 or 6) to a kinda bad neighborhood to where I'm currently which is alright.

The worst part about it is my cousin and brother who were both 5 or so years older than me got caught up in it. They were the ones who got robbed at gunpoint, beat up for shoes, jumped for no reason etc. I was too young to experience any of that first hand. I have tons of memories of one of them shuffling through the door shook as hell with a story to share.

Cousin has been in and out of jail so often now due to alcohol related foolishness that when he's back home he can only fall sleep in his closet, it's really fucked up that he can't shake it.

My brother doesn't have that addiction bug and was finally growing up then he got talked into being a lookout for his friend who wanted to tag up some spot, some gang members spotted them and shot his friend in front of him. He snapped and was never the same.

DominoKid

Grew up in the hood but I had it pretty easy because I had involved parents that put me in shit to occupy my time and stimulate my mind. We were comfortable. Like if I asked for some random shit there was a good chance I'd get it as long as it wasn't something ridiculous.

The closest I can relate to the roaches & rats ghetto stories is through some of the kids in the neighborhood I would play with. Other than that it's about as foreign to me as the ducktales about meeting w/ Colombian connects.

All things considered I can't complain but I always find something to be unhappy about. Mostly basic unemployed post-grad problems and struggling w/ lowering my expectations these days.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Shit I still live in the Ghetto.... Only difference is my ghetto is gentrified as all fuck now. When I was young a shootout in front my window left bullet holes above where I sleep at night, now my hipster neighbor walks his corgi welsh outside my window every night. C'est LA Vie bruh...

Anyhow Those kids probably do the same thing most of us do for the most trap/rachet rappers. Key in on the relatable themes of triumph over adversity/fucking ho's and enjoy the beat. The only difference is we have certain artist we can relate to on a personal level. For me it would be a nas, or a ghostface who speak about the day to day lives average people in the Ghetto live.While its all entertainment, voyerism, and at best theory on how the disadvantage struggle to live to them.

On the flip I think if I was a rich kid Jay-Z talking about Tom Fords would be a revelation for me .....

At a young age I grew up in a house with drug sellers but I never lived in any place that was that bad until 10-12 years old. That's where I was seeing people run trains and shit in unoccupied apartments, seeing a fiend tryin to grab my friend's dick to get money, classmate getting shot in drivebys, and being exposed to ecstasy. Even when I was in high school my best homies are in GD and one is a blood, I never saw anything that was as bad as that shit when I was younger

IrishNinja

When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire, and he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of 131 lords for the Shogun. It was a bad time for the empire. The Shogun just stayed inside his castle and he never came out. People said his brain was infected by devils, and that he was rotting with evil. The Shogun said the people were not loyal. He said he had a lot of enemies, but he killed more people than that. It was a bad time.

Jay Sosa

When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire, and he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of 131 lords for the Shogun. It was a bad time for the empire. The Shogun just stayed inside his castle and he never came out. People said his brain was infected by devils, and that he was rotting with evil. The Shogun said the people were not loyal. He said he had a lot of enemies, but he killed more people than that. It was a bad time.

the fuck outta here. I was listening to that very intro just two days a go and was thinking to myself it might be among the best ever. shit gives me chills even after all those years.

(and lol, didn't even realize in what context you posted it)

did diplo just paste some random rap verses on that beat? none of them can flow on it. song only bumps when the chorus hits lol.

edit: actually maybe exquire only got to hear it before he sent the verse. riff raff and action bronson definitely had to improvise

HiiiLife

I was fortunate to be raised in relatively safe areas. No gang banging, murders, etc. But I guess I could be chalked up with the kids who didn't have the finer things growing up, Samoa isn't exactly the wealthiest country and you work with what you got. Lol. Simple lifestyle, but I honestly couldn't ever live there again. But besides that, I remember being in shitty ass apartments in Hawaii next to druggies. Really the two things that you could see out there the most are either property crimes or drugs, and being robbed a few times almost gave my mother a heart attack haha. But nonetheless, my parents did a good job sheltering me from BS like that. I was a naive child lmao.

codhand

supposedly my grandfather has ties to old mexican gangs, but he doesn't talk about his tattoos with anyone and it's taboo within the family to dig.

fuck that. you gotta pick his brain before you run out of time. find out everything he knows. i find that to be good advice for anyone with regards to their folks, and grandparents. granted you gotta find a good way to approach it since it's a sensitive topic, it gets easier to do that, as you get older, but also you risk running out of time.

HiiiLife

The closest I have to really hear about the ghetto are a couple of close friends that I consider my family considering we grew up together. It's funny because my parents always told me to stop hanging around with those Samoan / Tongan hooligans. It's unfortunate how you and your friends take different paths in life, really. I wanted to stay in school and pursue a degree and they decide drop out and go back to Inglewood and bang TCG. I still love them to death, and I let them know but shit is just crazy fam.

HiiiLife

supposedly my grandfather has ties to old mexican gangs, but he doesn't talk about his tattoos with anyone and it's taboo within the family to dig.

This is lowkey my worst fear about dating a Mexican chick. Lol. Shit, anyone of any ethnic background really. I remember my friends always telling me about the Japanese chick they're dating and the ties her family has. Same with their Russian bf/gf and etc. Haha. Could it be true? Who knows. Does it make me any less paranoid? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom