• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

How did Mac come across this sample for Traffic in the Sky?

Some obscure stuff, man.

Spoilers: A lot of rappers and producers are low key (not even really anymore) massive nerds. A lot of the dudes still sampling these days are either sampling obscure foreign lps from the 60s and 70s, or they're pulling from games and anime.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Sup hhgaf. Had a week off from work, decided to hop on a plane and take the hour long flight to Thailand. Lawdhavmercy. It's surprising how much hip hop I hear here. Not just in bars/clubs/strip joints but even on the radio in taxis. Blackace needs to take some time off and meet me out here next time haha.

illadelph

What are the "great" producer albums?

I've listened to only Donuts I think. Russian Roulette was great.

the obvious ones are Dre's two solo albums, if they even count

DJ Jazzy Jeff has a couple that are nice as fuck

I always wanted to hear Easy Mo Bee's album, I need to find that jawn

Dereck

You probably already know it, but Endtroducing is great
I guess this counts too

King_Geedorah_-_Take_Me_to_Your_Leader_album_cover.jpg

HiResDes

Had to re-listen to Awfulalterations and it's aged beautifully, most slept on album in hip-hop ever...Can't believe I didn't give it top ten nods.

Iacobellis

Spoilers: A lot of rappers and producers are low key (not even really anymore) massive nerds. A lot of the dudes still sampling these days are either sampling obscure foreign lps from the 60s and 70s, or they're pulling from games and anime.

Yeah, MF Doom/Tyler, the Creator both sampled Huit Octubre 1971. That's a weird 1970's, satanic song if I ever heard one. The first sample I came across of this kind was Oh No's of an old Turkish song called Ince Ince. Skate 2 put me on that one.

Oh damn, nice find. Traffic in the Sky is one of the few Mac Miller songs I care for

K.I.D.S. as a whole is probably Mac's best work, at least from the era when he had a high-school student mentality. Macadelic wasn't terrible, and neither was WMWTSO.

CRS

^ Yup, and like Toku mentioned, it's not as taboo anymore.

J. Cole sampling Utada Hikaru Sanctuary still makes me go "huh" every time I'm reminded of it.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Sitting here watching Patriots v Saints and my dad comes over with a bottle, and hands it to me. Open it please.
I out my hands on it, and i open it. Am I know stronger than my dad? Did I just surpass my father? Has the mantle been passed?

Am I the man of the household now?
Gaf what do I do next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom