• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Saigon ft. Memphis Bleek, Lil Bibby & Kool G Rap – Mechanical Animals. Yeah... yeah. No need to post anything else besides this. What an inspired line up.

ENFUwoR.gif
Oh god I've been looking for this GIF forever, thank god someone posted it.

I don't normally post in this thread, but I need to ask if anyone ever seen the LOX perform live. They're coming to town next month and I need to know if it's worth the $20 to see them live.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't normally post in this thread, but I need to ask if anyone ever seen the LOX perform live. They're coming to town next month and I need to know if it's worth the $20 to see them live.

I've seen Jada and Styles P separately and they were both really good. Considering they have a decent catalog as a group and solo artist, a new ep to promote, and years of chemistry I would definitely say go see it for $20.

studyguy

I fucked up hard holy shit. How the fuck am I gonna hit up mad decent when my dude Chino is gonna box Mayweather
and lose again
the same day. Fuck.

I fucked up hard holy shit. How the fuck am I gonna hit up mad decent when my dude Chino is gonna box Mayweather
and lose again
the same day. Fuck.

Plenty of post-fight options breh.

Secret Service @ ???. IHC show. Hidden location, details tomorrow, some surprise guests. RSVP here. 21+

Jungle @ The Belasco. Lunice is there, plays a pretty hype set. Tickets here. Also an IHC show, but w/ Goldenvoice and LED.

Mad Decent Afterparty @ Avalon. Honestly tho it would take extreme circumstances for me to pay $30 for an afterparty. Just too much on principal. Guestlist or bust at that price. Will likely have Cashy Cat, will likely have Trippy Turtle. Many others. Tickets here. 21+

There's other stuff going on obv. but those are the three I would recommend.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oxymoron is definitely in my top 10 still. Good release in it's own right. Disappointing, but still a good release.

Eating ass is excellent. As long as the ass is as fine and divine as I'm imagining it.

Lately been listening to some old school Gangstar. Hell I still enjoy the Rite Where U Stand track as well. R.I.P. Guru.

Been playing Beyond Two Souls just cause I enjoyed the bad from Heavy Rain enough to subject myself to more pain. I'm at this weird party where I'm playing an underage girl getting plastered, then they all act like assholes out of nowhere and there talks of thong stealing. So I just went all Carrie on their asses. It's funny seeing what David Cage considers 15 year olds partying.

Esch

Banned

I've seen Jada and Styles P separately and they were both really good. Considering they have a decent catalog as a group and solo artist, a new ep to promote, and years of chemistry I would definitely say go see it for $20.

Yeah, I have also seen Jada separately and enjoyed it. The crowd was so dusty though :dead:

still though, kiss of death live
ibxGHkVTwhNyIR.gif

HiResDes

Los Awesome is ass and sounds like a beat Drag-On would have rapped over in the late 90s. And Oxymoron is an okay album made up of a mishmash of pretty good tracks and some awful pandering radio singles that have no relation to them. Definitely not top ten worthy IMO, but I'm sure it will make into Gaf-Hop's simply because most people don't listen to many more than ten rap records a year, and even less will check out something by someone they've never heard of

Esch

Banned
o yeah, I listened to Banco btw. Wish i'd downloaded it earlier, pretty good riding music. Nothing special but as far as some swag rap with flecks of introspection it's about as good as it gets. With some rebranding he'd get plenty of love from the Mac Miller / Wiz Khalifa / Chance the Rapper demographic. I like some of the production a lot, and he writes good hooks. He's still a boring writer though. Blah blah blah i got bitches, pussy this, riding round, I get high. Zzzz. All my hoes blah blah blah. Kill Switch is tight as fuck though, reminds me of an updated post-Dynasty Roc just blaze cypher joint like 1-900-Hustler, 4 Da Fam or What We Do. Might be one of my favorite tracks of the year just for the energy. I'm not gonna lie, this track with Too Short and Chuck Inglish is one of the worst DJ Mustard imitations i've ever heard. Is it actually DJ mustard? I can't tell.

Oxy is wack of course but on later listens I actually think it's not significantly worse than HnC. I actually think it feels a little more concise than that draggy bore of a project, though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, in retrospect Oxy is not bad...but just that, not bad. Not great either. It's got some good tracks but it doesn't play to Q's strengths as well as HnC and Setbacks did at their best. I still revisit a few tracks like Collared Greens (mostly for Kendrick) but overall it's pretty forgettable.

HiResDes

Sir Michael definitely has more imagination, wit, and a wider range of references than you're giving him credit for especially within his lane... I can name countless homages to video games, anime, and the like in Banco. And sometimes you shouldn't take what he says at face value, Drug Dealer is a very tongue in cheek satire of trap music and culture for example. He also displays mastery over a myriad of flows, which enables to ride every beat so effortlessly.

Esch

Banned
Sir Michael definitely has more imagination, wit, and a wider range of references than you're giving him credit for especially within his lane... I can name countless homages to video games, anime, and the like in Banco. And sometimes you shouldn't take what he says at face value, Drug Dealer is a very tongue in cheek satire of trap music and culture for example.
Okay, sure. Like I said there's some meat on the bones as far as introspection. His actual punchlines and bars are pretty straight, which is why i said I liked it. I actually agree with you on Drug Dealer, but these days its hard to tell whether something is taking the piss or actually just at that level. I just don't think his song concepts are that good consistently, nor does he quite hit that level of dipset/ asap rocky dumb swag spectrum level because of how active and tense his flow is. For a swag rapper there are moments when he doesn't really sound that relaxed. It's a balancing act, sort of.

as far as the cultural references, like i said on the last few pages re: Lupe/Childish Gambino i'm not really interested in dudes doing this whole I'm-a-nerd-with-DS-roms-but-I-have-hoes-and-alpha-male-swag on deck act.

Cheddahz

Banned
o yeah, I listened to Banco btw. Wish i'd downloaded it earlier, pretty good riding music. Nothing special but as far as some swag rap with flecks of introspection it's about as good as it gets. With some rebranding he'd get plenty of love from the Mac Miller / Wiz Khalifa / Chance the Rapper demographic. I like some of the production a lot, and he writes good hooks. He's still a boring writer though. Blah blah blah i got bitches, pussy this, riding round, I get high. Zzzz. All my hoes blah blah blah. Kill Switch is tight as fuck though, reminds me of an updated post-Dynasty Roc just blaze cypher joint like 1-900-Hustler, 4 Da Fam or What We Do. Might be one of my favorite tracks of the year just for the energy. I'm not gonna lie, this track with Too Short and Chuck Inglish is one of the worst DJ Mustard imitations i've ever heard. Is it actually DJ mustard? I can't tell.

Oxy is wack of course but on later listens I actually think it's not significantly worse than HnC. I actually think it feels a little more concise than that draggy bore of a project, though.
The DJ Mustard track really is one of the worst tracks on the album, like holy shit

Edit: And yeah, it's good riding music, though I swear the album is trying to kill my subwoofer

As far as nerdy references. I tended to like how Wu-Tang would do it, just lightly referencing Kung-Fu flicks and using that to illustrate a point or create a metaphor.

I tend to hate the making a reference just to show I'm making a reference, or to show they're nerdy too.

HiResDes

I haven't had this much fun listening to a trap record since Trap Lord if I'm being honest with myself. Banco isn't really cloud rap like Rocky or Isaiah Rashad so I wouldn't expect him to try and pull off this sort of lethargic flow, though he has before on Lap of Lux. But you can make hype swag rap. I actually think Rocky's slurr can become tedious and repetitive when he isn't being carried by a beat, and his range of references and sense of theme and wit are completely behind guys like Mikey and even his label mate Ferg at this point. People like to harken back to LLA like it was this undetainable masterpiece, but I can't remember many lines whatsoever from Rocky's verses and it had such wonderful beats that maybe it didn't seem as obvious as it does now that Rocky has absolutely nothing interesting to say beyond mentioning generic clothes with random French names on them.

Favorite Banco tracks:

Intro
Memo
Some Ish
Bussin
Drug Dealer
Kill Switch
Lost Boys
Francois

...One Time ain't bad either, as you can tell I love this album.

Edit: This bonus track is nice too, throwing it on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After Live.Love Rocky will always have a place in my heart, but outside of a few exceptions he's a cringe worthy lyricist. I'm not a big lyrics guy and I don't expect someone like him to be profound, but some of that shit might as well just be gibberish. Just look up the lyrics to a track like Goldie...he's basically saying nothing and half of it doesn't even make sense. In comparison, Ferg is not profound either, but on occasion he can be introspective (See Fergivicious) and even his swag shit is memorable (See Shabba or Trap Lord) and his crude shit is funny. He can make simple shit work, unlike Rocky who just comes off mildly retarded.

Esch

Banned
People like to harken back to LLA like it was this undetainable masterpiece, but I can't remember many lines whatsoever from Rocky's verses and it had such wonderful beats that maybe it didn't seem as obvious as it does now that Rocky has absolutely nothing interesting to say beyond mentioning generic clothes with random French names on them.

I wouldn't say LLA was a masterpiece, classic mixtape sure. LLA was greater than the sum of it's parts. It was super cohesive, had some crazy individually dope songs like Peso, Trilla, Purple Swag etc. Honestly the shallowness of it all is so pure, completely lacking in self awareness and concentrated it just kind of added to the project. Like you said the production was on an 11. Rocky is a horrible rapper and writer apart from hooks and it hasn't really improved since this point, but it just worked together so well with what he was rapping over. He just delivers lines in a very sellable way that people tend to like them (I guess that's also the appeal of Schoolboy Q).

Esch

Banned

It's a wack album but I've already seen pleas copped for it since it got laughed at on release. That tells me that there are a large amount of people (probably all the KTT-lite posters / stans) who will include it in their top 10, but not high. It'll be slotted in around 7-10 for most people. But given the sheer amount of these types of posters we have, it has a pretty good chance to get on there. I would say it's certain. Plus look at the albums people have talked about most this year.

You got Pinata, So It Goes, Lese Majeste, Days from Rodeo, and? Fazoland maybe? Common's album? Banco?

We're going to have a Travis Scott and Schoolboy Q album in the gaf hop top ten this year
jb0GboVoti2brW.png
. It's not like in 2012 where we had a really really strong field of competition all around. And that year, GAF-Hop voted an Ab-Soul song song of the year. He'd be in the top 10 too if he didn't release an honest to god 1 mic unsalvageable piece of trash. He still might be.

Courage

A lot of people will include the new FlyLo, Eminem, Joey Badass and maybe even Lil Wayne (if the reviews are good) over Oxy. Definitely top 3, but probably like 6-7 like you said.

These Days will only be voted by Count.

Esch

Banned
A lot of people will include the new FlyLo, Eminem, Joey Badass and maybe even Lil Wayne (if the reviews are good) over Oxy. Definitely top 3, but probably like 6-7 like you said.

These Days will only be voted by Count.
Nah breh. GAF-Hop isn't going to get behind any of these guys in force. Sporadic lurkers and people who appear just for voting might push Eminem into our top 10, probably not Wayne though. Joey Badass? Dude's buzz is dead. Unless he drops Enta Da Stage pt.2 type shit nobody's throwing that up on lists.

AOTY will be mass appeal compilation no contest. That shit can't be wack they are curating it very smartly.

In quality? Dude compilation or producer albums never get lots of dap, nor are they ever that good. It's not going to be cohesive like a Russian Roulette, from what I've seen of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom