• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't get into Fazoland. Dude can rap but...that's about it. Very boring trap (well, drill) lyricism, which is par the course. For dudes that come from such a shockingly violent environment it's interesting that nearly none of the new Chicago rappers have anything interesting to say, nor are they painting vivid pictures like some of the best NY rappers - or Common, who brought Chicago to life for me.

HiResDes

On my soul is my favorite, but if mixtapes are just free albums then I have plenty in front of it.

I also forgot to mention that I also like Antwons album more than Pinata, but Pinata ain't leaving my top ten

DominoKid

Can't get into Fazoland. Dude can rap but...that's about it. Very boring trap (well, drill) lyricism, which is par the course. For dudes that come from such a shockingly violent environment it's interesting that nearly none of the new Chicago rappers have anything interesting to say, nor are they painting vivid pictures like some of the best NY rappers - or Common, who brought Chicago to life for me.

i was hoping that would be Chance but i don't think he's from the struggle like that.

Esch

Banned
Designer might just be my favorite cut on Fazoland because it breaks the mold of your typical fashion rap song. Most of them are swagged out, chill affairs. But that song comes furious, greedy, and points out the hollow nature of stacking clothes subtextually with that hook.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Designer might just be my favorite cut on Fazoland because it breaks the mold of your typical fashion rap song. Most of them are swagged out, chill affairs. But that song comes furious, greedy, and points out the hollow nature of stacking clothes subtextually with that hook.
I really like it to. Nice riff on Migos I though.

Esch

Banned
I really like it to. Nice riff on Migos I though.

yup, clear nod there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQl6HVMPkck

dj2.gif

Furyous

Trinidad James got dropped by Def Jam:

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/08/02/trinidad-james-gets-dropped-by-def-jam/

The wolves in NYC are howling as we speak. They sharpening they fangs because they smell food. Maino probably somewhere laughing.

I'm going through B.I.G. Sean's discography and asking myself how long he can keep this up. I fucks with B.I.G. heavy (mo offense to everyone taking offense to it. We all know Sean is paying homage to Biggie so CRY about it) and his songs age well. That Detroit mixtape is a slept on album. His first album would've sold more as an EP with bonus tracks. However, he's having a great run thus far.

I'm looking for some new Fabby Davis Jr, Locksmith, Que, and Skyzoo.

Why aren't more artists following Tech9ne's lead and touring their asses off? These northwestern markets are hungry for hip-hop and these rap dudes are being lazy.

HiResDes

1017 2 is super average, and yes we've heard about Trinidad about ten times now. By Internet standards that shit is ancient history.

I saw on twitter that Gucci announced 1017 3. He must have vaults of old unreleased Young Thug tracks.
https://mobile.twitter.com/gucci1017/status/495388141659099138
Gucci has been teaching us the importance of quality control lately.

I'll probably just ignore it and keep waiting for the Metro Boomin tape.

Pretty sure at this point all he cares about is keeping mouths fed and having some money by the time he gets out. Think it was said he might go to prison for 20 years or some shit. Could be wrong about the years

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pretty sure at this point all he cares about is keeping mouths fed and having some money by the time he gets out. Think it was said he might go to prison for 20 years or some shit. Could be wrong about the years
He got a plea deal that basically comes out to two years after time served.

PlayDat

3 listens of Lese Majesty so far and it still hasn't grabbed me yet. I loved Black Up on first listen so I'm not sure what's going on here. It sounds different and goes to a lot of new interesting places, but nothing about it is really surprising given who made it.

Lese Majesty is the kind of album where if I'm not enjoying it I wonder if it's my fault for not listening closely enough. Maybe I'll take a break from it for a couple days before playing it again. I did have really high expectations going in.

Esch

Banned
3 listens of Lese Majesty so far and it still hasn't grabbed me yet. I loved Black Up on first listen so I'm not sure what's going on here. It sounds different and goes to a lot of new interesting places, but nothing about it is really surprising given who made it.

Lese Majesty is the kind of album where if I'm not enjoying it I wonder if it's my fault for not listening closely enough. Maybe I'll take a break from it for a couple days before playing it again. I did have really high expectations going in.
Hmmmm. It's not a very bombastic or grabbing album imo, very understated. I wanna make some comparisons here but I'm saving up for my review.

PlayDat

Hmmmm. It's not a very bombastic or grabbing album imo, very understated. I wanna make some comparisons here but I'm saving up for my review.

Looking forward to it. Definitely interested in hearing more opinions on this one.

overcast

So It Goes and Piñata are my 1 & 2 of the year thus far.

Followed by:
Cilvia Demo
God Complex
Dark Comedy

Haven't listened to Shabazz yet.

1. Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
2. Lord Steppington - Self Titled
3. Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia
4. Cormega - Mega Philosophy
5. Dag Savage - E&J

Haven't listened to So It Goes fully, and still need to get the Shabazz Palaces.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shabazz was the killer record or tape I've been waiting for all year. Shit is really stimulating. The rest of my list would be in the good, but not great realm.

I don't like posting lists unless I feel I've adequately covered what I need to or have enough shit worth repping in a top 5 or 10z

1. Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
2. Lord Steppington - Self Titled
3. Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia
4. Cormega - Mega Philosophy
5. Dag Savage - E&J

Haven't listened to So It Goes fully, and still need to get the Shabazz Palaces.

Need to check out that new Cormega album. So far i enjoyed The Infamous Mobb Deep and Phantom and the Ghost.

So the new Cormega is good huh?

I think it'll end up towards the end of my list by the end of the year, but it's a solid grown man rap record. I never really doubted Mega lyrically/rap wise but I went into the projects with reservations about production. But Large Pro provides him with some dope shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom