• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

So we're gonna pretend like GKMC is better than The Cool?

kA62T.png

I don't think I'd ever live to see this day.

I'm too lazy to do it but I bet if you head to a Lupe Fiasco forum right now there's some poor soul breaking down every line of Pussy and proving why it's the greatest thing ever.

He doesn't get it. He's been trying this "troll trap fans" shit for 5 years and hasn't made it work once. Even Thot 97 was just stupid.

Shit is sad. Can't believe this is the same guy who blessed us with The Cool...

Pretty much.

Not to mention how can people not give Lupe credit for the super ambitious and unique concept he made with his creation from the character Michael Young on F&L to The Cool, and the introduction of The Streets and The Game. I'm bummed we didn't have LupEND to finish it off

GKMC is better than The Cool in just about every way imaginable. If you dropped GKMC and The Cool into the ocean, GKMC would swim better. If you threw it off a building it would fall better. There is not a single element of The Cool that is better than GKMC.

smh

Esch

Banned
Dumb It Down and Put You On Game are two of the worst songs I consistently see hiphop fans stan. Entry level "look at how smart I am y'all should listen up" quality bullshit with strained metaphors and pained storytelling. All with Lupe's massive persecution complex and inability to get to a fucking point.

Lupe writes kinda similar to GRRM in that they both think superfluous detail equals imagery. It doesn't.

Perfectly put. I find him eye rollingly heavy handed as a writer, corny in delivery, and not that great at picking beats basically. Plus there's the fixation on nerd shit like comic books and shit; i don't have time for that. Really Lupe is and always was a wacker extension of the sound and culture coming out from Rawkus and early Kanye. It's just that he was a young talent seen as carrying the torch. He was always trying waaaay too hard. That's what I like about Kendrick. Even when he digs deeper to preach a little, it has an effortless, non-judgmental feel to it, which is pretty impressive given how much of a Jesus freak we know he is.

Section 80 is better than The Cool.

facts only

HiResDes

Dumb It Down and Put You On Game are two of the worst songs I consistently see hiphop fans stan. Entry level "look at how smart I am y'all should listen up" quality bullshit with strained metaphors and pained storytelling. All with Lupe's massive persecution complex and inability to get to a fucking point.

Lupe writes kinda similar to GRRM in that they both think superfluous detail equals imagery. It doesn't.

I think Lupe's verse writing is actually pretty great....He has a strong allegorical game and is capable of seem really intricate rhyme schemes. He lacks the bravado, delivery, and production to really convey the immediacy of what he raps or highlight the sporadic nuggets of insight in which he's occasionally capable. Maybe he should become a ghostwriter.

The FBZ/Underachievers would have better with shorter more condensed verses maybe featuring some actual collaborative back and forth. The production is really nice though

Not to mention how can people not give Lupe credit for the super ambitious and unique concept he made with his creation from the character Michael Young on F&L to The Cool, and the introduction of The Streets and The Game. I'm bummed we didn't have LupEND to finish it off

smh

Why should we credit his ambition when the product was wack? Ambition only matters if you fulfill some portion of it. More importantly, his ambitions were set on some stupid ass ideas. Making grand, sweeping concepts regarding the state of the world that are:

1. Self serving and narcissistic ("Everyone is dumb, listen to me, only I can save this shit")

2. Stupid. Like 70% of the shit Lupe says is just dumb. His opinions on foreign policy are dumb. His opinions on local, national, and global politics are generalized and nonspecific. They contribute nothing. He is a dumb individual that doesn't realize how uninformed he is.

3. Uninteresting. Lupe is kind of real fucking boring because he spends five minutes on a track without ever properly accomplishing anything other than jerking off to his own self importance.

Perfectly put. I find him eye rollingly heavy handed as a rapper, corny in delivery, and not that great at picking beats basically. Plus there's the fixation on nerd shit like comic books and shit; i don't have time for that. Really Lupe is and always was a wacker extension of the sound and culture coming out from Rawkus and early Kanye. It's just that he was a young talent seen as carrying the torch. He was always trying waaaay too hard. That's what I like about Kendrick. Even when he digs deeper to preach a little, it has an effortless, non-judgmental feel to it, which is pretty impressive given how much of a Jesus freak we know he is.

facts only

Bet you had "No Make-up" on repeat

overcast

Food and Liquor is better cause it feels less heavy handed and a little more like some young songwriter spitting some shit he felt like doing.

The Cool seems a bit overthought in retrospect. Doesn't change the fact that I love it.

I think Lupe's verse writing is actually pretty great....He has a strong allegorical game and is capable of seem really intricate rhyme schemes. He lacks the bravado, delivery, and production to really convey the immediacy of what he raps or highlight the sporadic nuggets of insight in which he's occasionally capable. Maybe he should become a ghostwriter.

The FBZ/Underachievers would have better with shorter more condensed verses maybe featuring some actual collaborative back and forth. The production is really nice though

I think he has the makings of a good writer, but he focuses too much on topics he can't get in depth about. So he has all this filler, all these descriptions and wordplays and complex rhyme schemes, that are ultimately diversions from the fact that he can't elaborate on the ideas he wants to. If he worked exclusively on shit he LOVED and knew about intimately I agree, that potential might be realized. That's where the urgency you mention is missing would shine through. Without it, he's just talking in circles. Thus the danger of not knowing how dumb you are before putting pen to paper.

HiResDes

I think he has the makings of a good writer, but he focuses too much on topics he can't get in depth about. So he has all this filler, all these descriptions and wordplays and complex rhyme schemes, that are ultimately diversions from the fact that he can't elaborate on the ideas he wants to. If he worked exclusively on shit he LOVED and knew about intimately I agree, that potential might be realized. That's where the urgency you mention is missing would shine through. Without it, he's just talking in circles. Thus the danger of not knowing how dumb you are before putting pen to paper.

This is spot on.

1. Self serving and narcissistic ("Everyone is dumb, listen to me, only I can save this shit")
EVERY rapper is narcissistic. I can hardly find a rapper that hasn't hyped himself up and called everyone else weak in some way

2. Stupid. Like 70% of the shit Lupe says is just dumb. His opinions on foreign policy are dumb. His opinions on local, national, and global politics are generalized and nonspecific. They contribute nothing. He is a dumb individual that doesn't realize how uninformed he is.
Then don't listen to the stuff he says when he isn't rapping. I don't judge Kanye's music over the dumb shit he says all the time, and F&L and The Cool weren't that political like some of the tracks on Lasers and most of F&L2 were. I do agree, those were a bit heavy handed

3. Uninteresting. Lupe is kind of real fucking boring because he spends five minutes on a track without ever properly accomplishing anything other than jerking off to his own self importance.
Completely subjective *shrugs*. If you think he does, I probably won't change your mind, but I haven't really found much "filler" in his songs. Most of the stuff he says has some purpose even if it's just for the mental imagery

One song vs. almost an entire discography. The Cool is only solid because of its production and him being less obnoxious.

Yeah, but Lupe's whole discography isn't preachy. Not even close to being. The only song on F&L even close to being so was maybe American Terrorist

Esch

Banned

I think he already is a ghost writer. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he'd pushed Kanye's pen along with Consequence at one point. Lupe is a good writer but i dock him a lot of points for a lot of the things Pickles is talking about, plus I think he's not very.... concise? He is a real writer for sure but I find him often suffering from song concept drift and overextending metaphors and stuff a bit.

overcast

It's kind of crazy how bad No Makeup is in comparison to the rest of Section80

Also, I can imagine TDE in house producers cooking up something dope and saving it for Kendrick instead of Q or Soul, lol.

Esch

Banned
Don't know what gives you that idea. Section 80 was 5th overall for gaf-hops AOTY.

That was a really damn strong year too. Krit work, covert coup, etc etc.

I voted it my AotY 2011. I would take that back now, because it would have to go to XXX or Cover Coup instead, but man i really did love Section 80. I think i love it more than GKMC.

That was a really damn strong year too. Krit work, covert coup, etc etc.

I voted it my AotY 2011. I would take that back now, because it would have to go to XXX or Cover Coup instead, but man i really did love Section 80. I think i love it more than GKMC.

Around 5 or 6 is where it deserves that year I think, right behind Oneirology, XXX, Covert Coup, Return of 4Eva and maybe Black Up

some of the results are kinda....well see for yourself.

lupe's verse on touch the sky is trash

Fun fact, that song is probably one of my most played tracks during highschool. Was so mind blown, "Yo, a rapper name dropped Lupin III... Holy shit who is this guy???"

Later, I turned into a stan. Then, a few years later I went through the Kübler-Ross model.

studyguy

Kind of a dumb question on my part but does TDE sink or swim based on what Kendrick drops next? I thought Oxy and These Days were alright, but I can't help but feel like all this is becoming something like A$AP Mob putting LORD on the backburner for Rocky's next drop first. Maybe the comparison is dumb, idk feels like TDE bank a lot of their hype on his shoulders. Maybe I'm just overestimated his importance.

overcast

Don't know what gives you that idea. Section 80 was 5th overall for gaf-hops AOTY.
Yeah. 2011 was great too.
No Count, no.
Hmm. I'm surprised you liked it more than GKMC. But damn, 2011 brehs.

4eva, Oneirology, S.80, XXX, LLA, Black Up, Covert Coup, Sucker for Pumps, Setbacks, Action coming out of nowhere. :wow:

HiResDes

Kind of a dumb question on my part but does TDE sink or swim based on what Kendrick drops next? I thought Oxy and These Days were alright, but I can't help but feel like all this is becoming something like A$AP Mob putting LORD on the backburner for Rocky's next drop first. Maybe the comparison is dumb, idk feels like TDE bank a lot of their hype on his shoulders. Maybe I'm just overestimated his importance.
Sounds about right, though Q did some good numbers regardless of what I thought about the release. Cilvia doing ten K without any promo is also a good omen. He needs to get on the radio though.

Zabuza

Banned
XXX is my favorite from 2011, but Section 80 is probably 3 or 4.

XXX is a fucking CLASSIC. And Kendrick is so much better than Lupe.

If Kendrick releases anything less than a great album people will start talking about TDE itself being the problem. Of Q, Soulo, Rock, and Kendrick only Kendrick has lived up to his potential. The others have shown glimpses and demonstrated great ability...but none of them have gotten there in full. And the entire crew has noticeably regressed from where they were last year and in 2012 as musicians. Maybe Rock is a slight exception.

Were SZA and Rashad, the two best records out of TDE this year, even full TDE releases? Like wasn't a lot of their material done before signing?

At a certain point it starts to look like management is fucking up their roster in some way. That being said I have faith in Kendricks album and I didn't hate Oxy.

If Kendrick releases anything less than a great album people will start talking about TDE itself being the problem. Of Q, Soulo, Rock, and Kendrick only Kendrick has lived up to his potential. The others have shown glimpses and demonstrated great ability...but none of them have gotten there in full. And the entire crew has noticeably regressed from where they were last year and in 2012 as musicians. Maybe Rock is a slight exception.

Were SZA and Rashad, the two best records out of TDE this year, even full TDE releases? Like wasn't a lot of their material done before signing?

At a certain point it starts to look like management is fucking up their roster in some way. That being said I have faith in Kendricks album and I didn't hate Oxy.

Rock just seemed to get the short end of the stick in the whole TDE situation.

IrishNinja

Why yes. Yes we are.

preach

I'm glad we can still talk about Lupe Fiasco in 2014. What an icon.

last 5 pages featured saigon & gambino, anything can happen now

Your son/daughter looking at you all disappointed, you're forever cornball status in their eyes. I remember having a similar moment when i saw my uncle had the entire Rush discography.

you're gonna get taken off some christmas card lists for shitting on rush, but history will vindicate your stance

My uncle had a collection Pink Floyd vinyls I only found out about two years ago. When I picked one up some old ass shit he rolled however many years ago fell out of a sleeve. Dude just laughed his ass off.

ahahaha that's awesome

Please. Some of us have been hating on Lupe off jump.

credit where credit is due, plz

i distinctly remember going out for drinks with an old friend who was on some MESSIAH LUPE GON SAVE HIP HOPS and since that era was kinda booty for me, i gave both cool and F&L a spin,and...shit must've been like post-attitude era for wrestling fans. sure CM Punk wasn't overly exciting but in john cena's world i guess he passes for interesting, but nothing more than that

GKMC is better than The Cool in just about every way imaginable. If you dropped GKMC and The Cool into the ocean, GKMC would swim better. If you threw it off a building it would fall better. There is not a single element of The Cool that is better than GKMC.

pickles breaking shit down to molecules here, and from his notes i've gathered that the majority element of composition is basura

seriously, i loved the shit out of that song in like '05 i wanna say (big mayfield fan) and i'd just learn to skip it when he kicked in...it's like jigga's the bounce when ye's verse drops, ironically

XXX is my favorite from 2011, but Section 80 is probably 3 or 4.

XXX is a fucking CLASSIC. And Kendrick is so much better than Lupe.
I still need to give a lot of Danny's music a proper listen.

Not gonna lie, I first saw the dude and wanted nothing to do with him until I heard Guitar Solo, Outer space, and that joint from the Iron Fists soundtrack.

Dude can really spit and take you on a wild ass ride at the same time.

And I'd put him before Kendrick too.

Esch

Banned
I'm not into wrestling (full grown man, etc) but that pretty much sums up Lupe's appeal. John Cena seems like a good analogue. Lupe Fiasco is the corny jean short wearing bastard of hip hop.

HiResDes

A Sucker for Pumps and Take Care are great albums. gkmc is a top twenty hip hop album of all time for me. xxx is top ten, and no I'm not exaggerating.

overcast

See, that I might not be able to argue with. Danny is more interesting than Kendrick.

XXX > GKMC
Not getting into a debate about Danny/Kendrick. Just saying he stated he barely listened to Danny and still thinks it's better than section 80.
I'm not into wrestling (full grown man, etc) but that pretty much sums up Lupe's appeal. John Cena seems like a good analogue. Lupe Fiasco is the corny jean short wearing bastard of hip hop.
Naw. He's saying he's like CM Punk. He seemed good cause he was during John Cena's era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom