• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

GKMC is better than The Cool in just about every way imaginable. If you dropped GKMC and The Cool into the ocean, GKMC would swim better. If you threw it off a building it would fall better. There is not a single element of The Cool that is better than GKMC.

Lupe is/was my boy but this is nothing but the truth.

I'm glad the thread has reached the consensus that Lupe could be good, he just isnt. Like Matt Stafford's career, he's just getting by on potential.

Oxy was successful and Q had two big records on there, three if you include the feature he did with Tinashe. I'd call that a success, even though I still think the album was ehhh.

Flab Soul...that's an L. Seems pretty obviously why TDE didn't want to release it when it came out.

Rashad...came out of virtually nowhere and sold more than 10k records (nearly as much as Flab Soul), I'd call that a win. Dude has potential.

SZA...meh. I like her project but I just don't believe she'll be some big star or is meant to be. She's a great songwriter to have though. And unlike Jhene Aiko she can actually sing.

I think Kendrick will at least go gold regardless of what happens. The question is whether this album will last longer than that, get close to platinum, be acclaimed, etc. I don't see it matching GKMC critically, that would be nigh impossible. But he can have a very successful album that makes people stop talking about GKMC. He toured off that album for two years...which is nothing compared to other genres back in the day, but it's pretty noteworthy in 2012-2014.

Guys, the mainstream media coverage Flylo is receiving is enough to make me tear up. If you'd told me in like, '08 - '09 that some LA beat shit like Flylo would get the kind of attention it is I would have laughed and been sad. Now 2014 is here and Steven Hyden has a Grantland article covering him. We're living the dream.

Death seemed like appropriately intense subject matter for the music; it also resonated with Ellison given the loss of his parents, some family members, and associates like DJ Rashad and Austin Peralta.

“I don’t think that death is morbid,” he added. “I think that it’s the one thing that we all have common, really, that one day we’re not going to be here anymore. It’s a funny thing to think about, but we think about it all the time. It’s actually really normal for people to think about it. People pass away all the time. It puts our lives into perspective. When it comes to me, it always seems to remind me of how important our connections are to people, and how important it is to show the people we care about that we really care about them. I don’t know. For whatever reason, I feel so connected to those themes lately in my life.”

As he has on previous records, Ellison worked with musicians during the making of You’re Dead!, but strictly on a one-to-one basis, allowing him to construct the album as if he were drawing from a pile of homemade samples. “It was a lot of fun have Herbie Hancock around and sing ideas to him, and watch him come to life,” he said. “What’s cool about it is it still feels like it’s the beat-making scenario that I’m familiar with, where it’s like me and a record or me and samples. Having that one person at a time makes it feel like they’re another instrument.”

Lamar is apparently an enthusiastic subscriber of Ellison’s unreleased beats: In a recent interview with Pitchfork, Ellison claimed that Lamar took “12 or 13 of my tracks” for possible consideration on a future album, inadvertently delaying the release of Ellison’s own album as Captain Murphy, his MC moniker. Ellison was still in the dark about Lamar’s intentions when I inquired.

“He’s got a whole bunch of stuff recorded that I don’t know if it’s ever going to come out,” Ellison said. “He sits on tons and tons of music, and then he puts out a few things. So who knows at this point?”

w9if5Xt.gif

Zabuza

Banned
Danny has 3 really great albums. One is top 5 of the last 5 years easy (XXX of course).

I really hope Danny doesn't fall off, but he's kind of been wack on Twitter and shit lately. OLD was actually my AOTY for last year but it honestly doesn't compare to XXX. Even as someone who loves the Side B EDM trap stuff, I'd just rather have an album that isn't split up in that way.

I'm not really sure what I want from Danny next, but I feel like he'll do something really special and surprising... if we're lucky.

Esch

Banned
My prediction for the new Flylo:

Gonna sound like a cabinet full of silverware being opened and closed loudly

rappers and guest musicians try to struggle all over each beat

bnm

iVcXwba1a7FRw.gif

Trey

XXX delivers on its concept better than GKMC. The progression from Side A to Side B always amazes me. Plus SKYWLKR da gawd.

I suppose I have to listen to XXX one more time for the sake of objectivity. But even if this is true GKMC just has flat out better songs.

overcast

Seems to me like I'm kinda close bruh ;)

Struggle smileys on my phone atm :/
Well XXX is the best album of 2011 :]
He was the TDE guinea pig to test the waters of the industry.

he's just happy to be eating probably
He's gotta be motivated to make music. He always sounds hungry on guest slots. Could eat more.
I POSTED THIS MAN. WOW. Wtf.

Zabuza

Banned
I suppose I have to listen to XXX one more time for the sake of objectivity. But even if this is true GKMC just has flat out better songs.

Nahhh: XXX, Die Like a Rockstar, Radio Song, Monopoly, Blunt After Blunt, 30, etc. So many good tracks.

I'd say they're close though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nah, you don't need to. You'll be trudging through a third to half an album of bad songs and filler, whereas GKMC has debatably one bad song.

My prediction for the new Flylo:

Gonna sound like a cabinet full of silverware being opened and closed loudly

rappers and guest musicians try to struggle all over each beat

bnm

iVcXwba1a7FRw.gif

You have an open invitation to the good life whenever you're ready breh. Join us riding cosmic waves of crisp percussion slamming into funk keys and jazz melodies. We'll even let you draw comparisons to hype symphonic metal bands from slovenia that disbanded due to arson/murder/pederasty charges

I POSTED THIS MAN. WOW. Wtf.

wrecked

studyguy

Having like half the internet blocked at work is killing me.
Surprised IT hasn't fucking blocked imgur yet.

I felt like Old was more cohesive than XXX, maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I got into him real late anyhow.
Both are fucking dope though

IrishNinja

cast is not having this half steppin today

*edit goddammit esh this coli-fu is gettin outta hand bwahaha

You have an open invitation to the good life whenever you're ready breh. Join us riding cosmic waves of crisp percussion slamming into funk keys and jazz melodies. We'll even let you draw comparisons to hype symphonic metal bands from slovenia that disbanded due to arson/murder/pederasty charges

bless
i also wonder if there's room in toku's heart for these cosmic rays

Courage

I felt like Old was more cohesive than XXX, maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I got into him real late anyhow.
Both are fucking dope though

I feel the opposite. Old feels more fragmented with the sonically different Side B (just for the fuck of it), while XXX has a more cohesive conceptual delivery of a party animal decaying into some kind of drug fueled monster by the end of the second half. While XXX's Side B also sounds different, it's not this jarring shift like some of the tracks on Old Side B.

studyguy

there needs to be a metal plug session/new recommendation thread so I can learn the nuisances of this genre in full. For now I can only discover shit people tell me to listen to directly

My girlfriend's all about that crazy as fuck metal. I don't get it personally, but then again she approaches anything in the rap game the same way. The way some of those women dress up for those shows though...
whew.png

Esch

Banned
there needs to be a metal plug session/new recommendation thread so I can learn the nuisances of this genre in full. For now I can only discover shit people tell me to listen to directly
Shit, I could do it tonight or tmrw.

I'm not inviting metal gaf though cause they're a bunch of Opeth stanning frauds though
jbjfyKuNauhSK_e.jpg
. Jakefromstatefarm also has really good taste and toku has gems too. I'm probably the only dude on gaf with #rare #based Les Légions Noires demo tapes (elite).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom