• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
yup. honestly the tracks i heard from it were kinda wack sauce (god awful use of vocal samples) so im not that enthused about it tbh :(

I thought the same thing actually. I mean, they are just previews, so hopefully the full songs sound dope

quik-midnightlife.jpg

sampler: http://www.dubcnn.com/2014/09/16/dj-quik-the-midnight-life-album-cover-tracklist-sampler/

cover is flabby but I can't hate on Quik after he dropped Book of David.

I'm down for Quick.

I'm not inviting metal gaf though cause they're a bunch of Opeth stanning frauds though
jbjfyKuNauhSK_e.jpg
the knob slobbing them and Mastodon get on GAF/the internet is atrocious

^^^ this would be super dope. There's a barrier with metal that is impossible to get around if you aren't kicking it with metalheads on a regular basis because so much of it is obscure foreign works that I would never find, and if somewhow I did, I wouldn't know what to make of it without just diving in. And like electronic, it's so bloated with subgenres that if you didn't grow up with them you have no idea what they actually describe. A primer like that would prob. help a ton of people.
The distinctions between subgenres are way easier to distinguish once you get familiarized with the base aesthetic of each umbrella (i.e. Black, Doom, Thrash, Death, etc.). That being said, shit is dense and demanding; I can't even front like I'm not completely lost when presented with new material sometimes due to the convoluted family tree of influences for each subgenre, artist, song, or movement. With that being said, there are plenty of entry points that, being an audiophile, I'm willing to bet you've garnered a passing acquaintance with. Stuff like Maiden, Sabbath and Metallica are super accessible because their sounds incorporate phonemes you'll recognize from other, non-metal genres, but re-imagine them in a context that'll serve as a launching pad for when you're willing to dive deeper into the rabbit hole. There are artists in every subgenre that'll establish your palette like that, just ask me or Esch and we'll hit you up with rec's.

As for access to the community, that'll probably be a jarring experience for someone who's used to socializing at Com Truise events that feature open bars, wine and cheese plates, and encourage "casual networking." Pro-tip: metalheads are losers. They've been fighting the same subgenre wars for the past 20 years. Their conversations often culminate in the same my dad's better than your dad Mainstream vs. Underground debate that was so prevalent on hip-hop forums ten years ago. It's a scene made by pariahs for pariahs so the further down you go the more...colorful characters you might meet. Thankfully, the internet managed to both kill the genre and disseminate it, so finding music won't be a problem. Finding socially adjusted people who actually understand and give a fuck about why you like it is another question entirely.

All in all though breh, this is music you will find constantly rewarding. You have an inclination towards discovering esoteric shit, and this is going to hit all those spots.

There are basically a lot of aspects to it and you cant really just throw down a document and say, well x is y and they came from v but has influence from alpha music genre outside of A-Z in metal.

Well you can but it always comes off flat.
Also this.

Esch

Banned
have you heard the new record?
Nope. Queued it up on spotify now. And i like what im hearing.

As for access to the community, that'll probably be a jarring experience for someone who's used to socializing at Com Truise events that feature open bars, wine and cheese plates, and encourage "casual networking." Pro-tip: metalheads are losers. They've been fighting the same subgenre wars for the past 20 years. Their conversations often culminate in the same my dad's better than your dad Mainstream vs. Underground debate that was so prevalent on hip-hop forums ten years ago. It's a scene made by pariahs for pariahs so the further down you go the more...colorful characters you might meet. Thankfully, the internet managed to both kill the genre and disseminate it, so finding music won't be a problem. Finding socially adjusted people who actually understand and give a fuck about why you like it is another question entirely.

Perfect post pretty much. Also it is a highly, highly eurocentric genre so as a man of color(and a very liberal one) you'll come up against some...uncomfortable ideological compromises, especially wrt to some of the european nationalist movement ties to various acts. I think it's rewarding though (not dealing with stupid racists, but the genre overall).

Also it is a highly, highly eurocentric genre so as a man of color(and a very liberal one) you'll come up against some...uncomfortable ideological compromises, especially wrt to some of the european nationalist movement ties to various acts. I think it's rewarding though (not dealing with stupid racists, but the genre overall).
I didn't want to bring this up but, yeah. Here in the States it isn't as bad (not that it's good), but it's still a decidedly white nationalist genre. This, combined with the inherent protectionism that goes along with an extreme underground scene can create really hostile environments to whoever doesn't look, think, or act like the perceived norm. Pickles lives in a much more open part of the planet though so I highly doubt that'll be a problem on a personal level, but it is important to note that the homogeneity and (I can't believe I'm saying this) glorification of and desensitization towards violent imagery is going to expose you to some really repugnant characters with some fucked up ideologies. Being a black man in America, it won't be anything you aren't used to handling. The people espousing that shit are completely harmless.

Unless you're a church in Norway.

Esch

Banned
I didn't want to bring this up but, yeah. Here in the States it isn't as bad (not that it's good), but it's still a decidedly white nationalist genre. This, combined with the inherent protectionism that goes along with an extreme underground scene can create really hostile environments to whoever doesn't look, think, or act like the perceived norm. Pickles lives in a much more open part of the planet though so I highly doubt that'll be a problem on a personal level, but it is important to note that the homogeneity and (I can't believe I'm saying this) glorification of and desensitization towards violent imagery is going to expose you to some really repugnant characters with some fucked up ideologies. Being a black man in America, it won't be anything you aren't used to handling. The people espousing that shit are completely harmless.

Unless you're a church in Norway.

LOL that's a total overextension right there. Even among the two most extreme subgenres, you could merely say black metal is heavily tied up in european nationalism. But death metal's founders have plenty of hispanic and black heritage. This is one of the reasons i've always preferred DM communities more (as well as the music, it's smarter). As far as the fuckedupness.... Honestly it's not really even close to /b/ level shit. You might read a couple sweeping ANUS essays about how multiculturalism has failed, but only the most puerile dumbasses on the dumbest forums are going to say Arghoslent type shit. And I'm the one with melanin.

even if i am part of the pan-aryan diaspora which they have a weird respect for. Shout outs to my brehs Rudra.

LOL that's a total overextension right there. Even among the two most extreme subgenres, you could merely say black metal is heavily tied up in european nationalism. But death metal's founders have plenty of hispanic and black heritage. This is one of the reasons i've always preferred DM communities more (as well as the music, it's smarter). As far as the fuckedupness.... Honestly it's not really even close to /b/ level shit. You might read a couple sweeping ANUS essays about how multiculturalism has failed, but only the most puerile dumbasses on the dumbest forums are going to say Arghoslent type shit. And I'm the one with melanin.

even if i am part of the pan-aryan diaspora which they have a weird respect for. Shout outs to my brehs Rudra.
Nationalist was the wrong choice of words. Point being: metal is a white genre in the same way rap is a black one. There's plenty of crossover and they're broad enough scenes to render the actual classification of "black" or "white" music meaningless, but the vast majority of people they appeal to and subsequently the majority of people whom you'll meet will belong to those respective demographics.

Have I rustled PD's jimmies yet
troll.png

Edit: rap has way more pop cultural appeal though, which attests somewhat to a more heterogeneous fanbase :patrice:

Edit 2: I also don't want to give the impression that fuckedupness is par for the course. The harmless ideologues are few and far between.

Esch

Banned
Nationalist was the wrong choice of words. Point being: metal is a white genre in the same way rap is a black one. There's plenty of crossover and they're broad enough scenes to render the actual classification of "black" or "white" music meaningless, but the vast majority of people they appeal to and subsequently the majority of people whom you'll meet will belong to those respective demographics.

troll.png

Edit: rap has way more pop cultural appeal though, which attests somewhat to a more heterogeneous fanbase :patrice:

Okay, see now that's right. You can absolutely listen to metal without running into any suspect NSBM shyte, yaddadimean? It's no mistake though that the genre draws heavily from the west. Fiction, both folk and modern, classical and romantic music, philosophy, etc.

troll.png

Edit 2: I also don't want to give the impression that fuckedupness is par for the course. The harmless ideologues are few and far between.

actually the vast majority of people hip hop appeals to are white
troll.png

the knob slobbing them and Mastodon get on GAF/the internet is atrocious

The distinctions between subgenres are way easier to distinguish once you get familiarized with the base aesthetic of each umbrella (i.e. Black, Doom, Thrash, Death, etc.). That being said, shit is dense and demanding; I can't even front like I'm not completely lost when presented with new material sometimes due to the convoluted family tree of influences for each subgenre, artist, song, or movement. With that being said, there are plenty of entry points that, being an audiophile, I'm willing to bet you've garnered a passing acquaintance with. Stuff like Maiden, Sabbath and Metallica are super accessible because their sounds incorporate phonemes you'll recognize from other, non-metal genres, but re-imagine them in a context that'll serve as a launching pad for when you're willing to dive deeper into the rabbit hole. There are artists in every subgenre that'll establish your palette like that, just ask me or Esch and we'll hit you up with rec's.

All in all though breh, this is music you will find constantly rewarding. You have an inclination towards discovering esoteric shit, and this is going to hit all those spots.

Also this.

Many thanks to you and Esch for the hookup on all this. You need to show up to metal plug tomorrow if we do it.

Speaking of plug, big group of folks on with some GAF-Hop crossover

https://plug.dj/the-bore

Esch

Banned
Mastodon is good party metal. Opeth is wack shit though.

i can only party to crossover thrash. I dont party to metal at all but i had a brief period of hanging out with some crust punx in 2010 and those brehs knew what was up. bless.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i can only party to crossover thrash. I dont party to metal at all but i had a brief period of hanging out with some crust punx in 2010 and those brehs knew what was up. bless.

Crust punks are good folks. there's a regular crew that hangs out in front of this record shop run by a bunch of punks/dropouts (usual opening time is around 12ish). Always willing to spare a smoke or a swig of whiskey. cool dudes (
and hot chicks
).

that would be me - i'm waiting on 10/18 for the box set with both volumes & some Liefeld inserts, can't wait! Vol 2 should be a real treat since again there's gonna be a lot more MC's i knew growing up

Well thanks for the dope rec, can't wait to read Vol 2 since I'll know more of the artists being covered. I wasn't familiar with most of the artists in Vol 1 but it's fascinating nonetheless. I honestly find a lot of that music hard to appreciate outside of historical context. I'm know yall have had this discussion before but it reminds me a lot of early classical music in that it's hard to sit down and appreciate on its own terms. Not to say that the music can't hold up but I wish I was better at appreciating it. Definitely gonna try to see Afrika Bambaataa at Low End next month, thanks for the heads up Pickles!

Looking back, even though I hated hip hop back then, I was exposed to a lot of classic stuff in middle school. Jurassic 5 performed during an assembly once. Even better, our Armenian hip hop dance instructor put on an intricate production on the history of hip hop called something like "What Happened to the Positivity?" I shit you not we all had to sit in the auditorium for over an hour and watch middle schoolers attempt to perform classic rap songs. I distinctly remember a tiny Asian girl being cast as Queen Latifah lol

IrishNinja

noo problem - and oh man, get Bambaataa to autograph your copy of the book if you can, haha

(really jealous of the names ya'll are getting out there with that venue)

IrishNinja

Heltah Skeltah status...at least it's official now, though i can't imagine there were many lingering doubts after the apple deal

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The Apple deal changed nothing.

Man please that changed everything. Dre just saw apple pay how much up front for an exclusive U2 album?

Dre is definitely going to be on some "hey you want an album for that new Itunes/iPhone 7/Iwatch/beats right?" Give me Stock options and about 50 million.

Shit them scrapping the detox name to makes sense, it's become a running joke for vaporware amongst hip hop heads. If they were going to do a new album it needs a new name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom