• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That "Good Book" beat cd Alchemist and Budgie did earlier this year didn't click when I first heard it but now I can't stop playing it whenever I listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z17Y3TdLpAE

ivZPyIQWAmupk.gif
Another album gaf-hop is sleeping on. Great from beginning to end.

overcast

Who the fuck is Budgie? Why is alchemist always collaborating with these random dudes? Or why don't bigger artists look for his beats?

overcast

I don't feel like many producers "sell". I can see why Alchemist's production wouldn't be a big hit. There are still a few dudes who are better known (not mainstream) who would take his beats. Action did, Spitta did. Who is Budgie? Even Evidence is pretty dull.

All I know is Budgie does the whole second disc of the set while Alc handles the first. He doesn't rap or anything.

And if Evidence became a full time producer, I wouldn't be mad at him. Hell, I'd applaud him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why would you buy an Alchemist beat if you want to break out, in 2014? Either you want a trap beat, a Mustard beat, or something that doesn't sound like a product of another era and sounds fresh.

I don't know about beats "selling" or whatever, sounds like a silly concept, but he has a pretty distinctive sound that immediately pulls you back a decade, even when he puts some modern twists on those joints. It's pretty evident when all of his frequent and most successful collaborators also try to evoke that in their styles and generally even base their careers off of that.

Sometimes crack attracts dust heads. He wouldn't be the first or last sample-heavy producer to suffer the consequences of having [perceived] limited range.

Alc gets paid quite a bit when he does manage to land on a major label release. Hence why it was a big deal he gave up publishing/credits to get Break The Bank on Oxymoron, since TDE was about to scrap the song for sample issues.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Alc gets paid quite a bit when he does manage to land on a major label release. Hence why it was a big deal he gave up publishing/credits to get Break The Bank on Oxymoron, since TDE was about to scrap the song for sample issues.

was that the sample issue that delayed the album by months?

overcast

Even though I disagree with that low of a score, kinda hard to disagree, no? Luckily I don't really care as much as him about the lyrical content, but Lean ain't really doing shit on the mic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's like a once a few year average nowadays. I had to look at his wiki and the last one as far as I can see is the Slaugterhouse debut album.

I think it's Alc's problem mostly. He absolutely loves working with underground MCs. Of course he doesn't like the label politics because he's been burned by that shit one too many times and he also values being able to throw out whatever whenever and manage his brand himself and doesn't want to pay sample royalties/clearing.

TBH I can't think of many mainstream artists that would mesh well with Alc. Eminem is probably the only one, but we already know Alc sends beats to him on the regular. I think that could make an incredible track if Em is in his bag, which still is the case every once in a while (Calm Down is the most recent example).

Courage

Even though I disagree with that low of a score, kinda hard to disagree, no? Luckily I don't really care as much as him about the lyrical content, but Lean ain't really doing shit on the mic.

I just get the impression he has a relatively narrow mindset of what he wants from hip-hop in general. Obviously it doesn't matter ultimately, it's his opinion and all that, but you'd think he'd be a little more enthusiastic to something more down tempo like Yung Lean, when it can be just as experimental as high-octane rap records he actually loves like clipping.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just get the impression he has a relatively narrow mindset of what he wants from hip-hop in general. Obviously it doesn't matter ultimately, it's his opinion and all that, but you'd think he'd be a little more enthusiastic to something more down tempo like Yung Lean, when it can be just as experimental as high-octane rap records he actually loves like clipping.
I definitely think he has like 2-3 criteria that he is a stickler for ("lush", sample production seems to be his preference), but I've always felt that his number scores don't match up with his analyses. It's almost like a gut feeling independent from his critiques.

Again, this is the problem with reviews. You want different things out of different music. I can only really isolate production as something I need out of every hip-hop project for it to be good. And maybe just the raw feel. Otherwise content, lyrics, features, hell even concept execution can vary in quality and still make a project bad or good.

J10

Banned
Joell Ortiz' House Slippers is really good. The beats are awesome and he's rapping as good as ever. I'm surprised there hasn't been any conversation about it here. I'll be listening to this for a while.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Joell Ortiz' House Slippers is really good. The beats are awesome and he's rapping as good as ever. I'm surprised there hasn't been any conversation about it here. I'll be listening to this for a while.
I was literally just about to ask if anyone jumped into it and your post popped up on the reply page. Im gonna jump into it now.

Also, any word on Souled Out?

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
this thread's gonna blow the fuck up tomorrow. should be fun brehs.

just have to pass this Biology exam first.
MbOBFn9.png

this thread's gonna blow the fuck up tomorrow. should be fun brehs.

just have to pass this Biology exam first.
MbOBFn9.png

I'm excited. I actually think the song is going to be good, and despite the awful immediate feeling that reject Million Dollar Arm shit gave me, cautiously optimistic regarding the album. But with all the fuckery...we win either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom