• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rashad and SZA go together so well, definitely one of the biggest surprises of the year. Every track they have done has been dope. Their chemistry makes it sound like they've been working together for years.

Rashad and SZA go together so well, definitely one of the biggest surprises of the year. Every track they have done has been dope. Their chemistry makes it sound like they've been working together for years.

Definitely. Warm Winds and Ronnie Drake are apart of my favourite songs of the year so far.

Kwixotik

ASAP documentary thing is sorta cool

Shabazz Palaces shit is more than sorta cool, finally got to it yesterday and it's been on repeat

Been packing for my new apartment all day, playing Mother 3 on breaks, drinking beer now

and that's all I have to say

6Nr4K.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kendrick has been able to top every mixtape/album he's released so I have faith in him this time but TDE in general this year has been pretty underwhelming except for Isaiah.

Kendrick Lamar EP was dope, could he top it? Overly Dedicated drops and he tops it. Can he top that? Section 80. That can't be topped amirite? GKMC. That can't be topped right?

i am excite.
Kendrick is serious about this shit. I can't say if the next album will live up to the hype, but I know he will try. Last two TDE albums just felt like a couple flabby stoners trying to meet contractual obligations. That ain't Kendrick though. The crown weighs heavy on his head.

i'm honestly more excited for the spectacle of kendrick's album than the album itself. the hype cycle is going to be unreal

CAN. HE. TOP IT.

TOOK THE CROWN, GUNNIN' FOR THE THRONE

WILL KENDRICK LAMAR SAVE HIPHOP????

-----

BEST NEW MUSIC 2014

10/10 a chasm apart from his peers, kendrick's sophmore album is a strong testament to the indomitable soul rap can evoke.

10/10 album of the year

5.5/10 idk uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm shabazz was more inventive mike eagle had more heart madgibbs brought soul and step brothers rocked atmosphere so....

8.9/10 a worthy successor

9.6 don't even fuck with rap but this is hot [People's Magazine Critics' Choice]

10/10 quite possibly the strongest statement yet that rap, at its best, is a massively powerful tool for the imagination that is far and away worth the rampant mediocrity left in it's wake
S0ztkYj.png

"5.5/10 idk uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm shabazz was more inventive mike eagle had more heart madgibbs brought soul and step brothers rocked atmosphere so.... "

-----

OVERRATED

MY DUDE THIS SHIT IS WACK

ONLY WHITE PEOPLE LOVE KENDRICK LAMAR

IS ISAIAH RASHAD THE BEST IN TDE?????

my third eye was thoroughly waning

Dude we get it you're were a good guy who's seen some things but honestly who are you? I mean, who are you right now, today? Are you innocent Kendrick, dangerous Kendrick, reflective Kendrick....have you become any other kind of Kendrick? Even tried? What about happy Kendrick? Where is world traveled and mentally nourished Kendrick? If we sat down and had a conversation right now, no music involved, what would we talk about? Your life growing up? Or would we just sit there in silence? Get back to me when you have something to say.

-----

This section is where the mainstream opinion of the record soars while common internet/music circle consensus bemoans it's stale, genre adherent lack of creativity and freedom. Basically this

-----

you can fill the rest in pretty easy. black internet turns on it, white media loves it, time passes, everyone loves it for what it is, grammy nods, WILL IT FINALLY HAPPEN, g-eazy wins, chaos. Basically we're in for greatness brehs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
...lack of creativity is the last thing you should knock RAM for, it's a huge departure from their previous work and pretty diverse in sound. That didn't happen in the critical or public reception.

it wasn't adherent to the music daft punk had already written, it was genre-adherent in terms of the sound it was trying to accomplish. There was nothing about RAM that stood out among anything remotely similar to it sonically over the past ~40 years. it followed a standard and failed to distinguish itself.

but that's my take personally.

cacophony

...lack of creativity is the last thing you should knock RAM for, it's a huge departure from their previous work and pretty diverse in sound. That didn't happen in the critical or public reception.

theres nothing creative about making hall & oates b-sides

Common's album is pretty solid, I like most of the production. The only real black eye is Big Sean on Diamonds. I guess I could do without "Real" as well.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Pickles ain't shit, but a ho and trick.

SZA/Rashad = New Gen, Marvin/Tammi

Des confirming whatever by saying whatever. News at 11.

HiResDes

Yo Biz if you're around are you the one that told me about this Rozewood Radio Raheem mixtape, shit might be the boom bap album of the year. Although I think people severely underrated the Meyhem Lauren from earlier as well.

thabiz

Yo Biz if you're around are you the one that told me about this Rozewood Radio Raheem mixtape, shit might be the boom bap album of the year. Although I think people severely underrated the Meyhem Lauren from earlier as well.

indeed. stay sleeping people.

Furyous

I just found this song through a friend. It's some dude named Chaz French with song called Came Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JdI8ZRbgH8

Mistah Fab has a new mixtape out called welcome to the dope era. I have to give it a listen later on. It seems like his mix tapes are promotional advertisements for his songwriting ability. Say what you want but he can write his ass off. He still eating off hip-hop with quality material.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
"I'm a coal miner grindin' like an old timer"

I know this is a long shot, but I heard this lyric in a hip hop song I was enjoying on a Miami radio station. I have tried to Google the lyric with no success. Im hoping someone can tell me what song this is from? THANK YOU!

Cheddahz

Banned
"I'm a coal miner grindin' like an old timer"

I know this is a long shot, but I heard this lyric in a hip hop song I was enjoying on a Miami radio station. I have tried to Google the lyric with no success. Im hoping someone can tell me what song this is from? THANK YOU!

Is it Swollen Members' "Death Warrant"?
[Verse 3: Madchild]
I'm a golden troll on a totem pole with a noble soul
Old as Yoda, got that Obi Wan Ken-obi flow
Archaeology, I'm a fucking old timer
And I'll be staying underground like I'm a coal miner
They try to pull me down but I ain't going quietly
A bit surprising to the one that's victimizing violently
I was super handsome, now mentally I'm suffering
Turned into a fucking grubby chubby ugly duckling

the real problem with RAM is that Pharrell is trash. If you put a good singer on Get Lucky or Lose Yourself to Dance they become legit great songs. I don't hate the discro/retro approach, just do it right. One of the interesting things about disco is that so many of the singers in the genre were really fucking good. Pharrell can't sing and his falsetto is just weak.

I really like Giorgio by Moroder but that's about it, alongside Touch which is brilliant. And the Panda song is fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Instant Crush is fantastic and has a great singer on it too. Fragments of Time has a great singer on it too, but that song is just okay.

I've seen Daft Punk 3 times and shit was I let down by the new album. That being said if they toured it with a live band I'd go watch that shit in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom