• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
Yeah well every time Quentin Tarantino uses the N word in one of his movies its juvenile and hateful. However he gets a pass because he is considered an artist who deals with offensive art.

It's juvenile, but not hateful. Actually, I only think it's juvenile because when I went to go see Django Unchained, all of my high school vice principals went to the same show I did and they were laughing their asses off each time the N word was used

Hip hop is raw and primal and aggressive...but so is like, a Cormac McCarthy book and he doesn't seem to lean on homophobia or sexism to get it done. There is a big difference between being those things--including being offensive and provacative--and being juvenille and hateful. Homophobia and sexism in rap is juvenile and hateful 99% of the time.

Cormac doesn't use women really in his books, but he did use the N word in Blood Meridian, (I don't remember but I think he might've used it in Suttree too) he also used idiot to define somebody retarded. He also uses Necrophilia, pedophilia and grotesque raw violence, I love the dude's works but like c'mon he does a great many things that other writer's wouldn't be able to pull off and he does it well. It just kinda illustrates that point that we (for the most part) agree upon, context and intent, is super important for all of it.

I don't have an issue with Tarantino using slurs or words per se, but he tends to be gratuitous in using it, it's a weird thing to say, but he's more restrained with his violence than he is with the N-word.

Cormac doesn't use women really in his books, but he did use the N word in Blood Meridian, (I don't remember but I think he might've used it in Suttree too) he also used idiot to define somebody retarded. He also uses Necrophilia, pedophilia and grotesque raw violence, I love the dude's works but like c'mon he does a great many things that other writer's wouldn't be able to pull off and he does it well. It just kinda illustrates that point that we (for the most part) agree upon, context and intent, is super important for all of it.

Right, but all of this is my point. McCarthy uses some truly disturbing imagery and language without it being homophobic or sexist (his lack of decent female characters tho...). They are tools for the story and atmosphere and characterizations of his work, but I have never felt like he himself is being hateful or disrespectful to an individual group while using them.

But yeah, it all goes back to context.

I don't think comparing (high quality) prose and pop music makes sense. McCarthy has created some depraved and racist characters, but they're just characters in literature. The Judge's view on Native Americans isn't McCarthy's, for instance. Whereas Nas' view of women is pretty clear from Black Girl Lost or Roses* - he's not telling us a story, like Kendrick did on Keisha's Song for instance.

A better comparison would be to other genres. While rock and pop may be less explicit, in many ways they're just as ugly thematically. Like rock, hip hop is driven by hyper masculinity that doesn't really leave any room for anything else.

One of the interesting things about Prince was that while his music was filthy, it rarely felt hyper masculine. More often than not it felt ambiguous, and you could legitimately wonder who was being dominant, Prince or the women mentioned. Hip hop and rock don't really have room for that: it's sexual from one perspective. "If the chick doesn't like it, fuckouttahere and get another one." Weeknd gives me Prince vibes in this regard.

(same could be said of Bowie, another hyper sexual artist).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't believe TM103 was in 2011, nearly 3 years ago. WTF it's like we were all talking about that shit like last year or something.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
It's juvenile, but not hateful. Actually, I only think it's juvenile because when I went to go see Django Unchained, all of my high school vice principals went to the same show I did and they were laughing their asses off each time the N word was used

why? the n word wasn't used in every joke, was it? i honestly dont remember. i just remember it being a good movie.

Cheddahz

Banned

we just had some dudes come play anime music videos, please come save the room

e522319a378bec46c8fedf45aeac35ba.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

That doesn't mean its not hateful...

The N words use in pulp fiction is cringe worthy to me as a black man (I still feel a certain way at how Samuel Jackson's character was all docile in that N word storage scene). In Django there was a few times I cringed as a black man. But I knew what tarentino is about, he's an artist who works with offensive ideas so I accepted that and watched it for what it was.

Rap fans should either accept rappers as being the same our just don't buy their product. Shit like thinking its any different leads to guys like macklemore getting a Grammy because he knew how to game the system and look like "he had something to say". Considering in hindsite we now know he himself wasn't above offending a race people for the sake of trying to getting a reaction.

A lot og Rap is obscene, but that's part of the reason why its so good and the majority of fans enjoy it.

Cheddahz

Banned
why? the n word wasn't used in every joke, was it? i honestly dont remember. i just remember it being a good movie.

it wasn't used in every damn line, but whenever it was used, the principals (who were sitting behind me) were laughing like the hyenas from lion king and it annoyed the shit out of me

It's funny how offensive cunt is to Americans.

Not sure if it's like this in England as well, but here the word cunt is a common everyday curse word like fuck or shit.

Western culture is becoming more and more standardised, with American music nd movies being huge overseas. But getting offended is America's deal. By that I mean the whole PC thing isn't as big an issue as it does be in America.

Europeans just don't get as offended by things as Americans seem to.

PlayDat

Django was awesome. I regret not seeing it right away. The theater was mostly empty a month later when I watched it. The flick was pure fun. I have nothing negative to say about it.

Western culture is becoming more and more standardised, with American music nd movies being huge overseas. But getting offended is America's deal. By that I mean the whole PC thing isn't as big an issue as it does be in America.

Europeans just don't get as offended by things as Americans seem to.

I view "getting offended" as a good thing to be honest. I'd be willing to bet that many European countries have the same issues, but they're just much less likely to discuss them.

You see it on GAF a lot where people argue that racism doesn't exist in their homeland. No shit, nobody's going to be talking about racism when they live in a nation that's 90% white. It why so many of us in the US complain about the lack of diversity you see on screen or the stereotypical portrayals we get the few times there are non-white characters. Some portion of the international audience doesn't interact with black people on a regular basis and develop bone-headed ideas about what we're really like.

it wasn't used in every damn line, but whenever it was used, the principals (who were sitting behind me) were laughing like the hyenas from lion king and it annoyed the shit out of me

That was the one thing that bothered me about Django, everyone had this..."it's ok to laugh at this cause we're all in the joke" sorta vibe going on in throughout the movie. The viewers, not the film. I couldn't tell if that was part of Tarantino's intention or not. I enjoyed the movie but it's kinda soured me on watching it. I'll have to see it again now that it's not as prevalent in conversations...

That was the one thing that bothered me about Django, everyone had this..."it's ok to laugh at this cause we're all in the joke" sorta vibe going on in throughout the movie. The viewers, not the film. I couldn't tell if that was part of Tarantino's intention or not. I enjoyed the movie but it's kinda soured me on watching it. I'll have to see it again now that it's not as prevalent in conversations...

I do remember when I watched this at school and a white girl behind me kept on repeating lines in the movie loudly. Even the ones that involved the word nigger. The guy is presume was her boyfriend had to tell her to hush.

HiResDes

Sorry my plug blew up during my jam NY Cops...Bless for that session but I should go to bed now that I got my connection fixed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom