• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same terrible spawn killing, get shot in your back, never safe anywhere on the map game as all the others, except now it has a double jump.

dont play TDM
you need to play objective game types so the spawn points are set
i agree with the terrible spawn killing...in TDM

CRS

People need to play the objective modes a bit more. People whining about the spawn killing need to stop playing the lesser mode that is TDM. While it can happen, it's much less frequent in Dominion, CtF, etc.

mooooose

Anyone mad about Makonnen and Drake signing him and thinking he's a plant: It was definitely just a lucky situation. Makonnen caught ears of people with I Don't Sell Molly and some other songs and that was it, he was gonna get put on by someone, it was a matter of time.

naw

People need to play the objective modes a bit more. People whining about the spawn killing need to stop playing the lesser mode that is TDM. While it can happen, it's much less frequent in Dominion, CtF, etc.
huh

spawn killing has always been easier to do in objective game modes than in TDM/FFA

big ander

i...kinda like makonnen. in an outsider music kinda way, he's like the r. stevie moore of rap. if r. stevie moore mainly made songs about teenage breakups

CRS

huh

spawn killing has always been easier to do in objective game modes than in TDM/FFA

Since you should have the rest of your team relatively closer to you, I feel like it's harder to hold spawn killing spots. And with the exception of a couple of maps, maybe just one, the maps are relatively large where you almost never have a clear shot on someone is covering every spawn so the game has no choice to spawn you by an enemy with a clear shot.

Nuketown was the worst fucking offender is regards to spawn killing and was extremely frustrating to play against (in HC CtF) so anything else seems tame to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A shooter is built on the foundation of the act of shooting weapons. Introducing verticality and lots of paths with mobility is great, but if I'm still shooting peashooters with weak audio-visual feedback, I'd rather just go play a platformer than jank around in Titanfall or Destiny or CoD.

Make sure every weapon in my hands is a monster, then add the flourishes.
Not that it isn't very, very important, but I would argue visual/audio oomph is more of a flourish than actual core combat mechanics. The latter being far more essential, but a good game needs both. I mean, some of the most revered arena shooters and games like CS have some pretty crummy audio design and in many cases sense of power.

Just took in with that whole Nazi video for that Nicki Minaj song with Drake..

and Drake's Jewish
jadawhy

Shinobifist wept.

DominoKid

Yo.... So I just listened to more of this makonnen wasteman....

Is this what's hot right now in Canada? This shit might be one of the funniest things i've seen and heard in years.

This shit sounds like Boardwalk Empire karaoke. This shit sounds like something playing in saloons in 1904 while complaining about Jack Johnson beating a white man. This guy is one of the worst singers I've ever heard, how did y'all get through a tape of this? This shit sound like the shit Harvey Milk probably lost his virginity to. This sound like something Ray Robinson would dance to on brain damage. WTF is this Canadian tone-deaf tiger rag shit?

KcADG0u.png

ha i'm kind of feeling that track just cause it's so silly. i could totally work that into our party playlist.

People are so easily blinded by the flash of double jumps and wallrunning.

How about these shooters try to surpass FEAR in pure visceral gunplay one of these days maybe. Also AI.

This wacky double jump/wall run mess is the most obvious solution to add mobility to ADS centric shooters. Even then, it's mobility for when you're not shooting. People are losing it because they have more than a 0% chance of avoiding being gunned down in 0.2s.

The AI wasn't quite there but Wolfenstein: TNO soothed my soul this year. When I realized I could dual wield and still pop off accurate headshots
NhYDAG5.png

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Shinobifist can go eat a bag of dicks for those stupid ass comments.

And I agree with net_wrecker, shooters with terrible "gun feel" as I call it ruin the entire experience. If I hit someone from 3 feet away with a shotgun, the enemy should be getting cut right in the fuck in half, or at the very least getting knocked right on his ass. Instead, in way too many games I might as well be throwing a handful of urine and dirt for all the affect it has.

Esch

Banned
That's (one of the reasons why) Halo sucks IMO . Entire series has that awful Mattel play toy gun feel and look. There are some satisfying weapons like the shotgun, splaser and rockets but overall, awful gunfeel.

I can't fap to that.

siddx

Yeah, its especially bad in Halo because you run through so many goddamn enemies that half way through it feels like you've just been dumping entire clips into alien faces with little effect for hours on end.

Not that it isn't very, very important, but I would argue visual/audio oomph is more of a flourish than actual core combat mechanics. The latter being far more essential, but a good game needs both. I mean, some of the most revered arena shooters and games like CS have some pretty crummy audio design and in many cases sense of power.

Good combat mechanics and good AV gunplay design go hand in hand when talking about a great shooter overall. You can't have one without the other IMO which is why I can't enjoy twitchy arena shooters with weak feedback that are held up as classics in the genre. Disco mentioned FEAR feeling like John Woo earlier- that's where I'm at. I need punchy and detailed effects to properly convey what kind of beast I'm shooting or the whole thing falls apart. Most shooters fail at this.

The AI wasn't quite there but Wolfenstein: TNO soothed my soul this year. When I realized I could dual wield and still pop off accurate headshots
NhYDAG5.png

#2 on my GOTY list so far. Great game.

That's (one of the reasons why) Halo sucks IMO . Entire series has that awful Mattel play toy gun feel and look. There are some satisfying weapons like the shotgun, splaser and rockets but overall, awful gunfeel.

I can't fap to that.

Halo has polished controls, but I agree that a lot of the guns are weak. The one thing that always brought me back to Halo 3 was the physics of every object in the game. The fact that everything was fully modeled and had mass, from players, to grenades, to vehicles, to traffic cones and explosive barrels, meant that you could have a ton of random "only happen once" moments in multiplayer. It was too funny going into the replay mode and zooming real close on weird ass deaths to see someone get killed by a flying piece of randomness.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I can't fap to that.
wat

Halo has fantastic audio design. You have a gun that shoots pink needles at someone that gets progressively louder and zippier until your opponent explodes. DMR/BR/Pistol have always sounded like beasts and as early as Halo 1 you can hear them echoing through halls as you unload on people. The SMG sounds like it's tearing a hole in reality. Many of the plasma weapons heating up and getting increasingly unstable until they have to cool off is done really well too. The Pro Pipe is the most fun grenade launcher in any FPS I've played, I can go on. This is not just audio but a lot of the guns visually get more unstable as you're dumping and reel back once you have to reload.

The only exceptions I can think of is the AR pre-Reach and Plasma Pistol (simply because a full charge doesn't get you a kill and it's weak by design).

EDIT: From the comments above, I guess y'all just really prefer militaristic shooters or mainly just use those as a reference point. Going from UT to Halo was the most natural experience for me. Halo finally gave a lot of those sci-fi inspired guns oomph and impact that was just almost there. I usually can't find much satisfaction in militaristic shooters because you pretty much get what you're expecting to get and the guns are designed to feel familiar and relatively tame (especially when you get to bolt action weapons that seem to have no impact or the recoil feels awful).

siddx

Naw, UT's guns felt like they were fucking opponents up. Hit someone with the shrapnel gun and they turned to bloody mist. Halo makes me feel like I'm in one of those dreams where you are punching somebody but your punches feel weak as hell and ineffectual.

Esch

Banned
Naw, UT's guns felt like they were fucking opponents up. Hit someone with the shrapnel gun and they turned to bloody mist. Halo makes me feel like I'm in one of those dreams where you are punching somebody but your punches feel weak as hell and ineffectual.
Yep this is the difference. The gibbs, the movement it all came together like a bloody symphony. Halo....nah. it had its moments like Net Wrecker said, but overall nah. Consistently terrible assault rifles too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If we're talking ineffectual, the rockets always felt really ineffectual in UT99, like you're throwing basketballs at people and they bounce around if you don't clock them in the face (this is despite the super cool loading animation). The pistols flat out sucked. Only the Shock Rifle and Impact Hammer felt satisfying to use then.

Flak Cannon, Pulse Rifle etc. didn't really get satisfying until UT2004.

The thing with Halo is that it's a bit spongy. Always has been. Using the AR in those games is pure lol. It feels like you're shooting nothing at nothing until a shield pops and you get a kill. Halo 4 did a lot to fix my issues with the sound design with way louder weapons (echo/reverb still doesn't touch DICE's shooters), but it's still Halo combat underneath all that (except worse because Halo 4 is meh). I don't know how they can really get around it, nor do I think they should because Halo gotta Halo.

Tokubetsu

BF3/4 would probably be some of my favorite shooters if A) LAG just didn't exist. Like it wasn't a thing and B) If vehicles weren't in it.

Never cared for vehicle combat in games and probably never will. Lag thing is something though that has plagued the series pretty much from it's inception. BF franchise probably has the most transparent lag compensation and fx in the sense that you can really tell when something is off or shit is being dropped.

I don't know how people that live in the online multiplayer ghetto (basically anywhere that isn't NA hubs or mainland EU hubs) deal with it. If I lived in Australia or NZ pretty sure I'd just stick to RPGs and singleplayer games.

Some of the best sound design and "weapon feel" in a shooter though. Sniper Rifles especially feel great.

Esch

Banned
Yeah. It's like. .. If they make the animations unshit, and the guns and gunfeel more visceral and unshit, and overall class up the bad Nerf x Starcraft aesthetique of the whole affair and then they change the core gameplay to something faster, then what is left of Halo?

81G25cv.png

I liked 3 for the same reasons you did tho Net Wrecker.

Yeah. It's like. .. If they make the animations unshit, and the guns and gunfeel more visceral and unshit, and overall class up the bad Nerf x Starcraft aesthetique of the whole affair and then they change the core gameplay to something faster, then what is left of Halo?

81G25cv.png

I liked 3 for the same reasons you did tho Net Wrecker.

At least it's not Destiny
3BIAL2G.png

Shoot at enemies and bosses who shrug off bullets for 5 minutes EDIT: 20 minutes
3BIAL2G.png

Mission after mission of glorified horde mode
3BIAL2G.png

"Story"
3BIAL2G.png

500 million U.S. dollars
3BIAL2G.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally heard the new Lupe single everyone's been talking about.

The first verse is completely garbo but the song is weird as fuck. It's kind of hot, but at the same time it's weird coming from Lupe and I still feel like he's trying to emulate pop-rap with the production (and what sounds like Ty Dolla $ign?). Not really an extension of Lasers or his last album, but sort of heading in a similar direction.

I don't know what else to say, the song is just weird. Not bad, just weird.

siddx

Can't even play online multiplayer here, no xbox live connection. Not that I'd want to, got tired of online multiplayer years ago. It's just not my style, I want to sit down with a game and play it at my own speed, on my own terms, in my own way. Not run around with a bunch of 12 year old assholes and worry about getting shot in the dick because I stopped to explore an alleyway or check out the mountain range in the background.

IrishNinja

Arena shooter age was magical on both PC & Dreamcast, for me

Bioshock 1 was a 7/10 game. Lots of system shock rescanning, terrible enemy variety, shrugworthy gunplay. Haven't played infinite yet but I'm not interested after the snooze fest of the first two.

ehhh i still gotta run through system shock 2 but bio 1 really felt classic at the time: benefit heavily from that early software slump but the environment & such was fantastic. your complaints are valid though.

Infinite even worse than 1 in the sense that, at least the first game was pretty solid for the first 2/3rds despite enemy variety and the peek a boo style gameplay.

Infinite has a GREAT intro, then it's just straight arena shoot followed by some boring "Move to here" for more arena shooting or a cutscene. The story shits the bed once you hit Act 2 or so as it's obvious they had to cut entire characterizations out.

Infinite was aight. The art design was stellar but the game itself was pretty straight forward corridor shooter. They didn't do much with the skyhook traversal (I thought you'd be able to go around the whole city with those) and the tear mechanic with Elizabeth just made turrets and ammo appear. Good ideas but they did fuck all with them.

yeah, all these are legit criticisms too. for me though, while infinite was nice, the linear nature really stood out because i felt the formula had gotten particularly stale. that might be partially my fault for not messing with the other plasmids or whatever more, i guess.

But gamers are stupid now, and you have to talk down to them and constantly feeding them and you can't have a little peanut butter with the jelly. Say they want balance but what they want is a million guns that look different but shoot the same. Say they want diversity but what they want is everyone doing the same thing.

Can't imagine how some of these crybabies would feel getting shock combo'd UT style from across the map today. There is a reason why arena shooters died. Y'all are garbage and don't want to learn how to play the game.

as a Souls fan, feelin this post
for real though, this applies to lots of games

Yeah but which lunchables? Cause Ham and Cheddar is delicious. But those mini pizzas and the wet soggy hot dogs can go fuck right the fuck off.

+1

nah, i know its good but any time I go back to play classics I just cant get into it or they havent aged well

scust
mind you i get it cause you gotta mod stuff like SS2 and as i understand it you can totally fuck yourself up in the later game if you allocate stats a bit wrong, but kinda like toku's post said: part of me respects a game that not's necessarily gonna abide my bad decisions.
e.g., Fallout 3 was a blast for me until i realized you could literally nuke a town of refugees, but if you gave water to enough hobos, you were a good person again, because fuck actual consequences.

siddx

Loved Fallout 3 because it did exactly what I always wanted GTA and other open world games to do, give me a reason to explore every last inch of the map because you never knew what was hiding away in some random cave or burnt out truck. I still play New Vegas every so often as well.
I will be all over fallout 4 day one.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Playing catch up

1) Infinite gets shit on, but it will remain one of favorite games of all times. It absolutely is the best ending to a video game ever. 9.8/10 for me. Missed being perfect because of the half-assing of Elizabeth's powers. The story "shit the bed?" Get the holy fucking hell out of here with that nonsense.

2) Fallout: New Vegas is a much better RPG, but stepping out of the Vault in Fallout 3 for the first time was one of the defining moments of the entire generation. Seeing the wasteland open for actual exploration was awesome. New Vegas fixed a lot of broken shit in FO3, but even still, I enjoyed them equally.

3) Lupe is being Lupe still. The song comes across as try hard. He's technically gifted, but unless he's speaking in abstracts like with The Cool, Streets on Fire or telling a slice of life like in Kick, Push or Hip-Hop saved my life, he's just rambling. The song is a muddled mess of jumbled production, good flow and corny observations. Lupe being Lupe.

4) I haven't touched a Halo since Halo 2, but how the hell can anybody pass up the package they put together with the MCC? I mean, shit. If I'm ever broke living off welfare, at least I know I'll have pew pew gaming needs more or less met for life with MCC.

5) System Shock 1 was butt cheeks, System Shock 2 was as hyped, System Shock 3, if ever made, would likely suck ass. They're not allowed to make games like that any more.

6) Lunchables were the holy grail back in the day. When they came out with those things...man. I wanted to be on some ski mask way shit. I may go get one today, just because.

I can't fap to that.

that shit has the most plastic, weak ass feel/sound to any assault rifle I've ever used in a 3D game. Shit is wack. They're the weaponry equivalent of Pharrell drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom