• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibqmoDHHWgMPAW.gif

What is this from.

Zelda

Banned
Decent coffee/espresso is a great dessert pairing or chill evening beverage. I'll open drinking sessions with coffee, too. Cleans your palette super well. We drink bad tea and good coffee at casa de Pickles

]

good shit in and under this cabinet you are in a good place pickle fire cat man

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From the #Ferguson thread, it turns out Mike Brown was an aspiring rapper.
Many of his tracks were styled as hard-driving “trap” hip-hop, propelled by strong bass-filled beats and lyrics that tapped into familiar musical themes: money, success, drugs and sex. But some showed Brown's more vulnerable side, as he rapped about his love for his stepmother and the manners his grandmother extolled.

overcast

Please don't be an official track on the album. Not a fan of the bit we heard of All Day.

I fucking love the chorus on Some Ish, had it in my head at work all day (heh).

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So I finally got the SoundCloud and mixcloud app and my god there is so much music out there. Are there any other music apps I'm missing?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Beat is straight, lyrics are still a bit too mind numbing for me though. There are very specific circumstances under which I will enjoy verses where every line ends with "n***a," and this isn't one of them.

Hearing it again it reminds me of that G unit song "what I'm talking about".... 50 might be influencing kanye brehs...

Beat is straight, lyrics are still a bit too mind numbing for me though. There are very specific circumstances under which I will enjoy verses where every line ends with "n***a," and this isn't one of them.

IMO it has more to do with Kanye sounding like a culture vulture. Give those lyrics and flow to just about anyone else and I'd "buy" it. Whereas with Kanye it sounds more like "what are the kids listening to now? Let's try this..."

It's the equivalent of Olive Garden adding quinoa to the menu.

IMO it has more to do with Kanye sounding like a culture vulture. Give those lyrics and flow to just about anyone else and I'd "buy" it. Whereas with Kanye it sounds more like "what are the kids listening to now? Let's try this..."

It's the equivalent of Olive Garden adding quinoa to the menu.

So this will be Kanye's MCHG?

Esch

Banned
So we're going to act like kanye didn't jump on the autotune's bandwagon dick with 808's?
So we're going to act like Kanye doesn't jump on the blogger penis since that time? He's been on that ever since the graduation/808s era. That's Kanye's biggest impact now and his appeal. He cleverly mainstreams things bubbling on the border of underground visibility. By doing so he strokes two kinds of egos; he gets the RYM style music fans that like to be on the cutting edge but just like everyone else needs real life validation for their taste. The other side is the opposite; people with generally 'plebeian' tastes in everything else but like to seem like they are getting some next level art shit once in a while to be reassured that they're not consuming reiterated garbage.

#thedualities

So we're going to act like Kanye doesn't jump on the blogger penis since that time? He's been on that ever since the graduation/808s era. That's Kanye's biggest impact now and his appeal. He cleverly mainstreams things bubbling on the border of underground visibility. By doing so he strokes two kinds of egos; he gets the RYM style music fans that like to be on the cutting edge but just like everyone else needs real life validation for their taste. The other side is the opposite; people with generally 'plebeian' tastes in everything else but like to seem like they are getting some next level art shit once in a while to be reassured that they're not consuming reiterated garbage.

#thedualities

Jay is like the opposite. Instead of mainstreaming things that bubble on the border of the underground he co-opts the mainstream, etches his name next to who is hot, then puts his name on top and drops albums non stop.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wrote a big reply to PD's post but just lost it, fuck.

Anyways, I don't think we can conclude it's very culture vulture-y yet. The production is my biggest worry, if the rest of the album sounds like that. There's nothing more worrying about this upcoming album than the notion that Kanye is fucking enamoured by Future and drill music right now, and wants to make a lighter, funner album than Yeezus. I don't think Ye cares what the kids are listening to, but he likes exactly what they do pretty much.

We've heard way too many contradicting reports on his new album, but I find it hard to get myself excited if his goal is not to push boundaries again and instead to do something that's closer to home, easier to listen to with a target audience of drunk motherfucker in the club #49543 and doesn't have a coherent theme like every other solo album of his had.

Esch

Banned
Jay is like the opposite. Instead of mainstreaming things that bubble on the border of the underground he co-opts the mainstream, etches his name next to who is hot, then puts his name on top and drops albums non stop.
Yep pretty much. Low key kanye and jay are part of a weird creative ouroborotic cycle going on right now and I kinda like them apart because it puts that shit to a stop. Jay needs to be islanded right now. Historically, he performs best when he's in danger of being irrelevant. Reasonable Doubt was a last gamble to save himself from the streets and the Yorkies. Vol. 2 was birthed from the race to fill Biggies shoes and to stop himself from becoming a mid table rapper. Blueprint came from the need to move on past the casio synthetic 98 99 sound. Black Album came off the heels of his biggest defeat. To paraphrase Nintendo stans, panic Jay-Z is best Jay-Z. But maybe he's not panicking. Hard to be when you have a legacy and you're that rich.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
didn't Kanye straight up say he wants to make a mainstream album that sells well so he can finance his fashion?
see, I HATE that trap/drill shit is what's popular now. can't fucking stand it. Ye could probably make soul sampling popular again if he really wanted to. dude is undoubtedly a trendsetter. just would have to bring his lyrical game back up.

but nah, he'll probably have half of his lyrics ghostwritten and get others to produce club shit for him. you know, to focus on shoes or whatever.

I fux with whatever that version of All Day was I want a more traditional album from Kanye after Yeezus I want to see what type of sound this album will have if reports are true then it'll be a more mainstream version of Yeezus.

Esch

Banned
see, I HATE that trap/drill shit is what's popular now. can't fucking stand it. Ye could probably make soul sampling popular again if he really wanted to. dude is undoubtedly a trendsetter. just would have to bring his lyrical game back up.

but nah, he'll probably have half of his lyrics ghostwritten and get others to produce club shit for him. you know, to focus on shoes or whatever.
Lmao...

Trap shit is only popular in a very base level ie the streets and a little bit with people who read Noisey a lot. That shit doesn't get pop radio play or sell units, period. Kanye could shit on a disk and get 6 figures day one but trap shit isn't the route really.

Kanye can't make soul sampling popular again, nor would he want to.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lmao...

Trap shit is only popular in a very base level ie the streets and a little bit with people who read Noisey a lot. That shit doesn't get pop radio play or sell units, period. Kanye could shit on a disk and get 6 figures day one but trap shit isn't the route really.

idk man, I can't turn on the radio for 3 seconds without hearing something like We Dem Boyz or Love Sosa (which is why I rarely listen to it). granted, it's a local R&B & rap station. haven't listened to pop radio in a long time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lmao...

I mean, you can pretty much say this for anything that isn't pitbull or someone that isn't already an established MC.

Lmao...

It's crazy just how unpopular trap really is overall when you think about it, yet it still permeates through so much of mainstream rap. Kind of puts the popularity of hip hop in perspective. Outside of Mustard beats, "big" rap songs this year basically revolve around simp songs and anthems.

Basically every summer we get a couple big trap anthems (Ace Hood's Bugatti last year) and a new trap rap super star (Young Thug this year) who will be irrelevant in a year.

DominoKid

trap music just isn't popular w/ people that actually still buy music. it's still very popular overall and for the most part pretty much everything you'll hear on rap radio has absorbed elements of trap music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wouldn't dare call trap unpopular. I wouldn't even say they have a bad RoI from a label perspective either, they pretty much set those artists up with horrid deals and they take them. Pretty much longevity is the only concern, but in today's world anyone can become a superstar tomorrow with or without a label, so that's not really a big deal either.

This is why stuff like the New Music Cartel and shit is important, and smart businessmen like Lyor are jumping ship to form companies that can set up distribution quickly and work with artists right away without them needing to dump old management, etc. It's the middle-way between the freedom of being a BandCamp artist and the perks and backing of being on a major label. I'm really interested how Thug's career is affected by going with 300. I don't know if it'll give him better shelf life (I think he's 10x less disposable than these style jumpers though), but it might stretch his money out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom