• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Des, I definitely use your wrap ups, and try to at least post in one of those threads. It's helpful for me because I'm generally slow on keeping up with things, so often I even go back to 3-4 rap ups back to see what I missed, also we have some similar tastes. Not to mention I love how you actually give descriptions for tapes/sounds which helps me not waste as much time.

+1 with do what you want though. I'll check it out in whatever format, and if it's too much work, you're not obligated to keep doing it.

Fevaweva

I am surprised that Life's A Bitch isn't considered by some people the "best song on Illmatic"

That AZ verse alone makes it so imo.

Man just think about how much money Gucci lost by not being out and able to mooch off Lil Miss Thug, like TI is eating off Iggy.

Gucci is small business minded. He already tried his best, putting out 2-3 projects with Thug's material. Thug is seemingly cool with anyone making money off of him and half of these dudes are all of his bros.

Gucci is good making enough money to replace his grill and keep his weed stash stocked. Unlike all of his peers, hes comfortable in the lifestyle he lives in.
You are silly lol. You do realize Gucci made more money than majority rappers last year just releasing music and he spent most of the year in prison so he could hardly tour. Pretty impressive tbh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You are silly lol. You do realize Gucci made more money than majority rappers last year just releasing music and he spent most of the year in prison so he could hardly tour. Pretty impressive tbh.
Gonna need you to cite something here, because I don't see Gucci's hustle having shit on Tip or Jeezy's.

HiResDes

Yea I prefer the darker stuff on Illmatic. Halftime is definitely top three on there for me.

Also thanks for the response, gonna finish this year out at least I've decided.

big ander

I'm loving 1017 Thug 3 so far but I especially enjoy that half the lyrics to this song are "I fuck girls, I fuck girls!" Gotta be trolling those who care way too much about his sexuality

Esch

Banned
llmatic - Represent
It Was Written - Take it in Blood
I Am... - NY State of Mind Pt. II
Nastradamus - Project Windows
Stillmatic - 2nd Childhood
The Lost Tapes - Doo Rags
God's Son - Made You Look
Streets Disciple - A Message to the Feds
Hip Hop Is Dead - Black Republican
Untitled - Queens Get The Money
Distant Relatives - lol
Life Is Good - Nasty

easy

HiResDes

llmatic - Represent
It Was Written - Take it in Blood
I Am... - NY State of Mind Pt. II
Nastradamus - Project Windows
Stillmatic - 2nd Childhood
The Lost Tapes - Doo Rags
God's Son - Made You Look
Streets Disciple - A Message to the Feds
Untitled - Queens Get The Money
Distant Relatives - lol
Life Is Good - Nasty

easy
Gotta go with Thief's Theme on street's disciple.

And I just decided that NY State of Mind is best Illmatic.

Not sure about Life is Good, but for me it definitely ain't Nasty, shit ain't even top five. Probably Accident Murders or Cherry Wine.

c'mon Count, how the fuck can you think Blunt Ashes is better than anything on HHID lol. That song is trash, fuck Chris Webber.
Always really liked the vibe of Blunt Ashes tbh. Was gonna put Still Dreamin but blunt ashes da gawd.

If y'all said any song on Illmatic being your favourite, it would make sense cause all of them shits is classics.

Lack of The World Is Yours is le scust tho

big ander

1017 Thug > 1017 3 > 1017 2. solid release for sure. mostly made me want to go listen to ICFN2 in full, it has my favorite-to-date Thugger track and a bunch of other great tracks I've heard but I haven't played it front to back

HiResDes

Always really liked the vibe of Blunt Ashes tbh. Was gonna put Still Dreamin but blunt ashes da gawd.

If y'all said any song on Illmatic being your favourite, it would make sense cause all of them shits is classics.

Lack of The World Is Yours is le scust tho
Blunt Ashes is indeed that shit. Like a spiritual successor to Purple.

I always liked Memory Lane in Illmatic.

I'd have to go back and relisten to all the other albums to think which song I liked the best per album on anything other than Illmatic

Shorty at the carribean place I go to after I get my haircut says coco buns are great. "Of course she'd say that - she works there," I thought, but hearing this out in the field is encouraging. I'll try it next time.

word, if the beef patty is good then it's orgasmic

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Travi$ Scott on Ebro in the Morning.
- Signed to Grand Hustle, but has co-publishing deal with Kanye
- Contrasts his style with the more bombastic acts from Houston over the years (Paul Wall, etc.), says he couldn't relate with their content
- Some more of Ebro clowning Young Thug's lyrics using his baby crying lmfao
- Hints at La Flame X Thugger project
- Pretty much confirms Kanye X Thug X La Flame, maybe on Ye's album
- Some poorly expressed thoughts about the Michael Brown thing alongside some real ones, calls out fake activism in hip-hop

That's indeed impressive, I still think all of his peers leapfrogged him multiple times though.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
hold up, Astro is featured on this Statik Selektah album? seems kinda odd.

OT: y'all ever gotten asked out by a gay/bi dude before? cause I'm pretty sure that just happened to me lol.

Open Mike Eagle started a podcast. First episode with Nocando is up now.

Mike’s statement of purpose for Secret Skin: providing an outlet for hip-hop artists to give context for their content. He notes his fondness for Marc Maron’s WTF podcast, where creative types do just that. His appearance on WTF got him to thinking about the need for a platform about the inner life of hip-hop artists. This is the platform. On this episode, he talks to Nocando in the midst of their successful, minivan-assisted Dorner Vs. Tookie Tour. Tour stories are told.

Travi$ Scott on Ebro in the Morning.
- Signed to Grand Hustle, but has co-publishing deal with Kanye
- Contrasts his style with the more bombastic acts from Houston over the years (Paul Wall, etc.), says he couldn't relate with their content
- Some more of Ebro clowning Young Thug's lyrics using his baby crying lmfao
- Hints at La Flame X Thugger project
- Pretty much confirms Kanye X Thug X La Flame, maybe on Ye's album
- Some poorly expressed thoughts about the Michael Brown thing alongside some real ones, calls out fake activism in hip-hop

That's indeed impressive, I still think all of his peers leapfrogged him multiple times though.

Interview was good until this part came had me facepalming pretty hard I remember him saying something similar about Trayvon Martin.

Vorheez

Is it wrong that I want some artists to just go hard on every track? I like young thug but too much of his shit is that summer break teenage dream bullshit about partying and getting high, I want all of his shit like Loaded and Danny Glover

Edit: I know this is ignorant as hell and I know I'm whining but I can't help it. I remember I downloaded his mixtape after listening to loaded and was excited as hell to listen to it... Ended up skipping 2/3 of the album

lllmatic - NY State of Mind
It Was Written - The Message
I Am... - Hate Me Now
Nastradamus - Come Get Me
Stillmatic - The Flyest
The Lost Tapes - Poppa Was a Playa
God's Son - Book of Rhymes
Streets Disciple - War
Untitled - N.*.G.G.E.R (The Slave And The Master)
Distant Relatives - Strong Will Continue
Life Is Good - World's An Addiction

Special Mention:
- The World Is Yours
- Nas Is Coming
- Made You Look
- Black Bond
- Doo Rags
- Suicide Bounce
- Thief's Theme
- Stillmatic Intro
- Blunt Ashes

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A-Trak interview.
- Talks DJing for Kanye, how he met him
- Talks how Fools Gold operates, how they do these shows where they pretty much make nothing off the top of it but they're good for building artist's up and keeping ticket prices low, pretty cool IMO
- Bringing Juicy J up for his first show in NY, Juicy thinking they didn't know his records
- Most of it is talking about the EDM/Hip-hop relationship, how many electronic DJs were hip-hop at first, genre melding etc.
- Preemo's "History" mixes (I need to look these up)
- Why he signed Danny Brown (he knows his history)
- Just Blaze is finishing up a record on Fools Gold
- Compares Young Thug to how no one wanted to sign Rakim because of his voice

Interview was good until this part came had me facepalming pretty hard I remember him saying something similar about Trayvon Martin.
Yeah, same, but I think I get what he's trying to say, he's just terrible at expressing it. I don't even think it's ignorance necessarily, dude just really has difficulty conveying what he thinks most of the time. That interview is the most coherent he's been.. ever.

Yeah, same, but I think I get what he's trying to say, he's just terrible at expressing it. I don't even think it's ignorance necessarily, dude just really has difficulty conveying what he thinks most of the time. That interview is the most coherent he's been.. ever.

I get what he's trying to say on it don't do anything that gives the cops a "reason" to mistreat or possibly kill you. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be like that.

cacophony

- Just Blaze is finishing up a record on Fools Gold

tumblr_mo7sossCjz1r6dk8qo1_400.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I get what he's trying to say on it don't do anything that gives the cops a "reason" to mistreat or possibly kill you. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be like that.
Yeah, I think he was just trying to find a segue into saying that people need to stop pointing fingers and being fake activists (inciting riots, etc.) just to perpetuate a certain racial association between black people and I guess chaos. That and how this doesn't really give people an excuse to do crime and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom