• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kiss Land is great, IMO. Weeknd is singing about some different stuff, it has its own atmosphere, and yet is still very Weeknd. I don't think it was a radical departure in style or quality, it's just an evolution of sorts. Though if Weeknd was explicitly your sex/drug groove dealer, I imagine it would be off-putting. I'm glad he did it, good risks taken.

Enzo, you listen to the whole Rap monument thing?
Yeah, I did. Genuinely think there are some good verses in there, from a surprising majority of the MCs even, but I mean it's 35-40 mins of verses on largely the same beat (they switch it up nicely at times, but sparsely) and you'll listen to it once. I already forgot the names of the people I didn't know before that had sick verses. It is what it is.

I regularly listen to trilogy and kiss land. Weeknd is great. Even better smoking

Boys I just got a bus home. It's 8am I'm pretty drunk still, I reek of weed. All these people on the bus going to work and shit giving me slick looks haha.I went back to this girls place and got the good, now is too good a mood to be brought down. And im goin to bed now with nothing on tomorrow. I forgot how great single life can be

Pickles!!! 🙀

Welcome back.

Meant to sent you a Soundcloud message but never got around to it, No Escape was your best mix ever man.

So I had an idea that I thought would be fun, kind of a fantasy draft for music. We draft 2014 songs for individual mixtapes instead of a roster, maybe 60 or 90 minutes long. Songs can only be chosen once, obviously. Artists are eliminated from the pool after they've been chosen three times. You can only choose an artist once individually. Some rules need to be worked out, but if we got maybe 16 - 24 people I think we'd start digging into some good shit we hadn't heard/forgot about/ignored from personal selections.

I was going to throw up an OT thread tomorrow to see if folks would be down, but I figured I'd run it by you guys first to see if it was even worth exploring/get GAF-Hop folks in priority if there's interest. I put some thought into the logistics of it (tracking, updates) and I don't think it would be a lot of work. Most of it would be automated pretty easily tbh

Some stuff I hadn't worked out yet:

-- Length of tapes: 60 or 90 minutes? 90 feels kind of long, idk.

-- Clock time: how long should dudes have to be on the clock? An hour? Does it matter how fast something like this goes by? I'm mostly looking at this as a fun work distraction /email fuckery replacement, so I'm kind of easy on whatever for that

-- Judges: do you have judges for something like this? Doesn't really mean much to me.

That 5 song run on Kiss Land from "Professional" to "Belong To The World" is A+++. Then the Drake song comes on with the combo breaker, but it gets back on track all the way through the end after that. I really like the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Meant to sent you a Soundcloud message but never got around to it, No Escape was your best mix ever man.

So I had an idea that I thought would be fun, kind of a fantasy draft for music. We draft 2014 songs for individual mixtapes instead of a roster, maybe 60 or 90 minutes long. Songs can only be chosen once, obviously. Artists are eliminated from the pool after they've been chosen three times. You can only choose an artist once individually. Some rules need to be worked out, but if we got maybe 16 - 24 people I think we'd start digging into some good shit we hadn't heard/forgot about/ignored from personal selections.

I was going to throw up an OT thread tomorrow to see if folks would be down, but I figured I'd run it by you guys first to see if it was even worth exploring/get GAF-Hop folks in priority if there's interest. I put some thought into the logistics of it (tracking, updates) and I don't think it would be a lot of work. Most of it would be automated pretty easily tbh

Some stuff I hadn't worked out yet:

-- Length of tapes: 60 or 90 minutes? 90 feels kind of long, idk.

-- Clock time: how long should dudes have to be on the clock? An hour? Does it matter how fast something like this goes by? I'm mostly looking at this as a fun work distraction /email fuckery replacement, so I'm kind of easy on whatever for that

-- Judges: do you have judges for something like this? Doesn't really mean much to me.
I don't get it; is the purpose to draft in lesser known songs that are I guess representative of an artist so people can use it like a sample pack or is it like a best of kind of thing? I like the idea. I think siddx put together something similar a little while back and I got a few jams out of it
but unfortunately the other material for those artists was trash

Also welcome back!

That 5 song run on Kiss Land from "Professional" to "Belong To The World" is A+++. Then the Drake track comes on for the combo breaker, but it gets back on track all the way through the ending. I really like the album.
Rare footage of me agreeing with Net_Wrecker.

That 5 song run on Kiss Land from "Professional" to "Belong To The World" is A+++. Then the Drake song comes on with the combo breaker, but it gets back on track all the way through the ending after that. I really like the album.

definitely agree
transition to Love in the Sky is excellent as well

Tears in the Rain was a great closer too

I don't get it; is the purpose to draft in lesser known songs that are I guess representative of an artist so people can use it like a sample pack or is it like a best of kind of thing? I like the idea. I think siddx put together something similar a little while back and I got a few jams out of it
but unfortunately the other material for those artists was trash

Also welcome back!

I think it's kind of both a sample pack and best of. The major artists being referenced on everyone's top ten list would run out pretty quick--I doubt Run the Jewels, FKA twigs, etc would last longer than the first round with a three pick elimination. So it would push everyone to grab what they felt was best this year, just from a much wider range than is showing up on all of the year end lists. And you could also look at as more of a Snuggles-type mix, where the individual artists may be less important than the cohesiveness and soundscape of the tape itself. Lot of room for interpretation tbh, it leaves people room to shoot for what they want.

Plus some light strategic thought with regard to where certain songs would go, when certain artists would be eliminated, how to prioritize your picks, the general vibe of your tape/what you're going for...I think that'd be pretty fun for me, personally.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sounds like something I'd get involved with fosho.

tCzB9Ke.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/night_lovell/sets/concept-vague
https://nightlovell.bandcamp.com/album/concept-vague

IrishNinja

des/caco/WW (i forget which of youse were vinyl heads?) - i need some help:

1) i'm still getting a ton of classics from my DJ buddy, but obviously there's a lotta scratches/skips about. some google results suggest simple alcohol, others sound like counter-scratches? what's the best/easiest method for a bunch of these?
also: would a better quality record player be less sensitive, possibly?

2) speaking of, i'm still using a shit all-in-one system, and ive got a really nice receiver about, so i need a stand-alone record player to not sound like shit, but im broke. said DJ buddy says i can have a turntable but i gotta replace the arm - any idea if this is expensive/ideal? would a mid-tier DJ turntable usually serve well for just casual use? i don't even know where to get such a repair done, but i'm gonna ask around.

really looking forward to getting this shit set up nice, just need a standalone tape/CD deck after that to complete the dusthead set.

*edit welcome back ma$e pickles!

m3k

I regularly listen to trilogy and kiss land. Weeknd is great. Even better smoking

Boys I just got a bus home. It's 8am I'm pretty drunk still, I reek of weed. All these people on the bus going to work and shit giving me slick looks haha.I went back to this girls place and got the good, now is too good a mood to be brought down. And im goin to bed now with nothing on tomorrow. I forgot how great single life can be
The good life haha

That 5 song run on Kiss Land from "Professional" to "Belong To The World" is A+++. Then the Drake song comes on with the combo breaker, but it gets back on track all the way through the end after that. I really like the album.

yeah it's a damn good streak until "live for", professional with the beat switch especially got the most plays from me.

If you're in So. Cal and don't have Christmas Eve plans you have to make it out to Low End for Beat Invitational. The big names should roll through--Flylo, Nosaj, Toki, etc. Everyone gets to play two unreleased beats. Winner determined by nobody caring who wins and everyone enjoying dope unheard beats. Gonna be a blast.

12.24, 9:35 - 1:30, $10.

PS love y'all
PicklesBack

studyguy

If you're in So. Cal and don't have Christmas Eve plans you have to make it out to Low End for Beat Invitational. The big names should roll through--Flylo, Nosaj, Toki, etc. Everyone gets to play two unreleased beats. Winner determined by nobody caring who wins and everyone enjoying dope unheard beats. Gonna be a blast.

12.24, 9:35 - 1:30, $10.

PS love y'all

Tomorrow?? Pfft, my family does nothing but get faded till like 4AM tomorrow after opening presents at midnight for the kids.

Also wb

mooooose

I shouldn't say this, but I gotta feed my GAF HOP bros, so don't say I didn't ever do shit for you.

Got word from a Stones Throw connect that Madlib and another west coast rapper have been in the studio every day for the last month working on an album... and the rapper is someone you'd never expect to work with Madlib in a million years.

I shouldn't say this, but I gotta feed my GAF HOP bros, so don't say I didn't ever do shit for you.

Got word from a Stones Throw connect that Madlib and another west coast rapper have been in the studio every day for the last month working on an album... and the rapper is someone you'd never expect to work with Madlib in a million years.
YG 400!!

studyguy

tumblr_mym4uqlPFc1ris3g9o7_400.gif

I'm down for more Mad beats

Courage

Finally, a new Coolio album.

The Ab-Soul album we've all been waiting for

awwwwwwwwwww yisssssss

Esch

Banned
DominoKid got the best guess tbh.

If you think about west coast rappers unlikely to work with madlib that are still active, it's pretty much him, Jay Rock, E-40, and YG.

Esch

Banned
garbageman Q isn't 'unlikely' to work with madlib though, he's already done work with alchemist, that's sonically in the same range tbh

Courage

Yeah, I doubt it's Q; he's too ingrained in the frat rap phase atm, considering how much Oxy sold. I also doubt he has the ambition like Kendrick to do something unorthodox like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom