• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mostly haven't seen old mobster movies. Godfathers, Goodfellas, etc. I think I saw Godfather II but I was so damn young I don't remember shit.

overcast

I've never seen Die Hard either. But I've never seen Alien, Terminator and a bunch of other popular movie franchises either.

I mostly haven't seen old mobster movies. Godfathers, Goodfellas, etc. I think I saw Godfather II but I was so damn young I don't remember shit.
tumblr_ng8714Nv181rk1spzo1_400.gif

big ander

I wouldn't be blown away by people not having seen T1 or T2 or any Alien or any Die Hard. Not having seen ANY? Culturally starving yourselves. Take care of yrself better than that
haven't seen terminator 1 or alien. and all of the star wars movies (mainly cuz theres so much shit on which ver is the right ver.)
Ignore it all and watch whatever you can get yr hands on. The changes are either mildly bad or completely unnoticeable. The final result is pretty much the same.
its not that i dont think its good. i saw it when i was like 6 or 7 and it was one of the first action flicks i remember. but to see it 25+ years later for the first time i just don't think it'll play that well. it's like pre-90s rap to me.
Nah, just nah. McT's style is classical and perfect, timeless. I saw die hard for the first time in probably 2010 and it was incredible then.

IrishNinja

honestly, those of you not having seen classics - you get to experience some classics in the future, be happy bout that & dive in

its not that i dont think its good. i saw it when i was like 6 or 7 and it was one of the first action flicks i remember. but to see it 25+ years later for the first time i just don't think it'll play that well. it's like pre-90s rap to me.

see while i don't agree about early rap, i get your critique at simpler styles/content
but die hard is kind've a standout today because:
a) excellent character/banter (we really don't see this as much in action flicks)
b) great action choreography (this we do, but it's important all the same)
c) the scope of it is awesome and doesn't get lost in grandiose bullshit (i call this 24 syndrome, where shit has to be so dire/extreme that nothing really has much impact)

it's just such a well put-together experience overall that you can't help but enjoy the fuck out of it and possibly feel like a badass at certain scenes. it's the kind that i think shines even brighter today because we've seen how few people outside of Mctierman can direct something like it in the decades since.

related: Alien, The Thing, Blade Runner & several others also age like fine fucking wine
also see gangster flicks...

explains why you cant connect to pre-2004 rap :(

seriously, mafioso stuff is wasted without the constant classic references, so hard

Is it still cool to hate on Scarface?

i think it's a reaction to the age of seeing scarface stuff for sale on nearly every NY city block - it's not even top 5 of gangster shit but it's still a good flick

watch garbage like star wars but nothing else brehs

also this

big ander

we do NOT see great action choreography in mainstream US action anymore though. Skill there is probably at an all time low in mainstream HWD cinema, actually. Everything is cut together quickly and suffocated so they can half ass everything and make you think you watched something much cooler than the boring thing you just watched-- the opposite of stellar choreography/editing in say, Chinese films that overlap actions across edits so you take in more of each punch/kick/flip. John Wick probably the only domestic exception in all of 2014.

Tokubetsu

we do NOT see great action choreography in mainstream US action anymore though. Skill there is probably at an all time low in mainstream HWD cinema, actually. Everything is cut together quickly and suffocated so they can half ass everything and make you think you watched something much cooler than the boring thing you just watched-- the opposite of stellar choreography/editing in say, Chinese films that overlap actions across edits so you take in more of each punch/kick/flip. John Wick probably the only domestic exception in all of 2014.

toku likes this post

IrishNinja

not in the mainstream no, that's kind've a given

but great cult stuff like Dredd cant still happen here & there, and even average action - Winter Soldier, etc - has gotten a bit better than the low bar we've seen prior, i'd argue

one thing that stepped way the fuck back though? ive seen so few examples of CG blood ive liked. i get that it's cheaper/easier than blood packets but man it's a bummer sometimes

HiResDes

not in the mainstream no, that's kind've a given

but great cult stuff like Dredd cant still happen here & there, and even average action - Winter Soldier, etc - has gotten a bit better than the low bar we've seen prior, i'd argue

one thing that stepped way the fuck back though? ive seen so few examples of CG blood ive liked. i get that it's cheaper/easier than blood packets but man it's a bummer sometimes

Dredd is not that well shot. It's okay, not awful, not that great either...

HiResDes

Why would I waste my time on awful piece of shit film like The Interview? I hope you're not going to say out of some bullshit nationalist propaganda to stick it to North Korea by giving a racist, sexist, and soulless multinational company like Sony hits and or money.

IrishNinja

Dredd is not that well shot. It's okay, not awful, not that great either...

i'm not looking for citizen kane from modern cinematography; just something (cult or not) with enjoyable action that doens't feel half-assed or soulless in its execution

for cult stuff i feel crow, blade etc age well but i mean ymmv though
whereas say i love boondock saints but it's not a great flick

Why would I waste my time on awful piece of shit film like The Interview? I hope you're not going to say out of some bullshit nationalist propaganda to stick it to North Korea by giving a racist, sexist, and soulless multinational company like Sony hits and or money.

because i enjoyed "This is the End"

Yes that automatically means that every film they make is going to be good.

...did seth rogen personally hurt you Des cmon i want to see it because it's a comedy featuring two actors who have been funny in the past so yes naturally i give them the benefit of the doubt that they will continue to be funny

Tokubetsu

...did seth rogen personally hurt you Des cmon i want to see it because it's a comedy featuring two actors who have been funny in the past so yes naturally i give them the benefit of the doubt that they will continue to be funny

worse, he made films mainstream america loves

Esch

Banned
Lmaooo

It's just a movie bruh. I'm watching it for the fuckery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom