• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorheez

Do you guys not consider the character of the artist when deciding what to listen to? This is why I can't do Kanye. Music is good, sometimes great, but the guy is such a fucking delusional twat that it ruins his product. I can't sit there and genuinely "feel" the music when I picture that clown behind the boards/mic.

And I don't mean to pick on just Kanye, this applies to any artist. The reason Drake can put out the music he does successfully is because of the way he conducts himself in the public eye regarding his sensitivity and charm. When he releases a "hard" song, what do we all do? We criticize and mock him because we know he isn't like that. Stick to what he knows, and he does it well because it's coming from a place of truth, of real emotion. You can hear it in the songs, especially shit like Marvins Room.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I HAVE to agree with what's behind the mic just as much as the music itself in order for it to invoke a true response out of me. I mean, look at Gucci, I fuck with him big time because when that dude says "don't fuck with me" you know it's true. Gives you shivers. Only a few artists are capable of that. There are so many artists who come off as "hard" and even though they may release the "hardest track of the year", an hour spent on google can find out 20 different things about this guy that destroys your perception of him and his music. The song becomes a mockery. Music, to me, is just a way to translate emotion. It's a structured way to represent what we all innately feel, and when it's nothing more than a product entirely disconnected from the artist, I can't get into it.

Edit: this thought originated from the Eminem debate. I haven't heard the new album, didnt like MMLP2, but what the fuck did people expect? He's been portraying the goofy ass middle aged white dude for like 8 years or whatever now. His product matches his character. The crazy eminem of old is long gone.

Esch

Banned
Do you guys not consider the character of the artist when deciding what to listen to? This is why I can't do Kanye. Music is good, sometimes great, but the guy is such a fucking delusional twat that it ruins his product. I can't sit there and genuinely "feel" the music when I picture that clown behind the boards/mic.

I'm not gonna sit here and lie and say the artist doesn't color my impression of the art, but I try to minimize that and judge on the actual merit
when i'm not trolling.

Courage

And I don't mean to pick on just Kanye, this applies to any artist. The reason Drake can put out the music he does successfully is because of the way he conducts himself in the public eye regarding his sensitivity and charm. When he releases a "hard" song, what do we all do? We criticize and mock him because we know he isn't like that. Stick to what he knows, and he does it well because it's coming from a place of truth, of real emotion. You can hear it in the songs, especially shit like Marvins Room.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I HAVE to agree with what's behind the mic just as much as the music itself in order for it to invoke a true response out of me. I mean, look at Gucci, I fuck with him big time because when that dude says "don't fuck with me" you know it's true. Gives you shivers. Only a few artists are capable of that. There are so many artists who come off as "hard" and even though they may release the "hardest track of the year", an hour spent on google can find out 20 different things about this guy that destroys your perception of him and his music. The song becomes a mockery. Music, to me, is just a way to translate emotion. It's a structured way to represent what we all innately feel, and when it's nothing more than a product entirely disconnected from the artist, I can't get into it.

I agree with you to an extent. Ideally, art should stand on its own but my own biases and preconceptions always affects my opinions on music. It's something I try to avoid and detach myself from, especially if their character doesn't infiltrate their music much. Artists like Kanye though intertwine their character to their music, so it's reasonable to hate Kanye and his personality as much as his music for the same reasons.

PBY

Banned

Edit: this thought originated from the Eminem debate. I haven't heard the new album, didnt like MMLP2, but what the fuck did people expect? He's been portraying the goofy ass middle aged white dude for like 8 years or whatever now. His product matches his character. The crazy eminem of old is long gone.
But Kanye has the GOAT personality

I used to have that mindset in highschool, really. But, it was a narrowed view and I would have missed out on a lot of good music if I kept it. I do still have hints of that way of thinking every now and then but image is a big part of hip-hop.

Esch

Banned
Drakes simp shit is lame though. It sounds flaccid. Id rather listen to him talk shit. He does it well even if he cant back it up.

Yeah i used to feel the other way, now i find the #duality of the softness and the tough talk funny and more interesting.

Personally I can separate the person from the music. If music is good and you ebjoy it, why would you let the personality of the artist interfere with that?

Same goes for movies and even games. All the gumps saying "I'll never buy a Ea/Activision/ubisoft game ever again" is just dumb.

Good music is good music. Who cares about the artists personality. Like spinchan said, you may miss out on some great music.

And biz that's fucked up. Arguably the best solo/non wu record if decks career and they're letting the album get delayed. Wu and rappers in general have no idea how to capitalise off momentum. See TDE

thabiz

Personally I can separate the person from the music. If music is good and you ebjoy it, why would you let the personality of the artist interfere with that?

Same goes for movies and even games. All the gumps saying "I'll never buy a Ea/Activision/ubisoft game ever again" is just dumb.

Good music is good music. Who cares about the artists personality. Like spinchan said, you may miss out on some great music.

And biz that's fucked up. Arguably the best solo/non wu record if decks career and they're letting the album get delayed. Wu and rappers in general have no idea how to capitalise off momentum. See TDE

rumor is that it is because of the new wu record/tour/etc.

Pathos

Banned
When I listen to the music, I don't really think about the artist, but I can see where people are coming from. You find out one of your favourite artists is a piece of shit in real life, and you can get turned off from listening to them again. An example of this would be joe budden, I never liked him but I know people who stopped listening to him after they found out he beat his girlfriend and shit. Same with Chris Brown, after the Rihanna incident, dude lost a shit load of fans.

Really hope they don't delay Czarface 2 and just end up scrapping it, Deck deserves to have his shit released

Lotsa old Artists were bad dudes...Miles Davis, Hendrix, James Brown, Johnny Cash (in his younger days), Sinatra...if I only listened to Good people that produced good music...I'd probably just sit in silence most days.

Yado

For me it depends on what it is tbh, Kanye being rude or an asshole doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm more inclined to drop someone's work if they express views that aren't aligned with mine.

what in the fuck

and smh at people trying to dissect SSLP for anything else than what it is, a classic.
Go listen to As the World Turns. Just do it.

agree with the forced jokes point though
however, I would cite early Eminem as an example of it done right (As the World Turns actually happens to be a great example), as opposed to current Eminem where the "jokes" sound forced more often than not.

Camp Lo

Banned
Requesting a temp ban brehs. I'll be back in January.

aqDwC.png

Pathos

Banned
yeah i was thinking about a study ban myself, but then i realized i'm gonna end up lurking anyways

finally listened to the new black milk, this is top 5 for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom