• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hello. So, I haven't posted here before but I was hoping to get a few recommendations. I've had a lot of fun this past year rediscovering hip-hop. I used to listen to a lot when I was younger, but I fell out of the loop in recent times. I heard a few things on the radio, but I didn't really like it, so I decided to dig deeper. To my surprise, I found some interesting stuff that I actually liked a lot. I know I'm just an anime avatar, but maybe someone will recommend a few things based on what I liked:

Kendrick GKMC - Heard a single, didn't like it. Listened to the full album and was blown away. Incredible.
Killer Mike RAP music - So much hype, but also really good production.
RTJ 1&2 - great
Shabazz Palaces - weird, but good.
Danny Brown XXX - Also liked Old, but think XXX is slightly better for some reason.
Vince Staples Hell Can Wait
A$AP Ferg Trap Lord - Okay I really liked this. Dunno why though. I love how dark and atmospheric it is. I tried some other trap, but it didn't seem as good as this?
A few other TDE artists - Mostly liked their roster. Most impressed by Kendrick, the rest are simply good to me.
Riff Raff Neon Icon - Oh god pls don't hate me for this, It's stupid, but I thought it was fun, not very serious!

Stuff I didn't like too much:
Drake

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hello. So, I haven't posted here before but I was hoping to get a few recommendations. I've had a lot of fun this past year rediscovering hip-hop. I used to listen to a lot when I was younger, but I fell out of the loop in recent times. I heard a few things on the radio, but I didn't really like it, so I decided to dig deeper. To my surprise, I found some interesting stuff that I actually liked a lot. I know I'm just an anime avatar, but maybe someone will recommend a few things based on what I liked:

Kendrick GKMC - Heard a single, didn't like it. Listened to the full album and was blown away. Incredible.
RTJ 1&2 - great
Danny Brown XXX - Also liked Old, but think XXX is slightly better for some reason.
A$AP Ferg Trap Lord - Okay I really liked this. Dunno why though. I love how dark and atmospheric it is. I tried some other trap, but it didn't seem as good as this?
A few other TDE artists - Mostly liked their roster. Most impressed by Kendrick, the rest are simply good to me.
Riff Raff Neon Icon - Oh god pls don't hate me for this, It's stupid, but I thought it was fun, not very serious!

Drake

Maybe some raider klan shit. DL some Denzel Curry, Nell and Purrp tapes.

Strictly For My R.V.I.D.X.R.S.
Nostalgic 64
90's Mentality
Vice City
Mysterious Phonk
BMW
Tales From the Underground

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
neon icon is great. such distinguished and respectable taste overall that i'm surprised you don't like drake tbh.

I dunno. Maybe I just didn't care for what I heard. But I kinda like it when hip hop has that more aggressive and guttural sound. Drake just didn't do it for me, it feels kinda soft... But maybe I didn't give it a fair shot.

Maybe some raider klan shit. DL some Denzel Curry, Nell and Purrp tapes.

Strictly For My R.V.I.D.X.R.S.
Nostalgic 64
90's Mentality
Vice City
Mysterious Phonk
BMW
Tales From the Underground

Cool, thanks for this. I haven't heard of any of these so I'll be sure to check it out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Anybody awake? I have a lot of mindnumbing, detailed work to do on the computer today, so I would like some recommendations for some nerwer chill records I can legally stream. Anybody got some good ones?

Grakl

I listened to like four hiphop albums this year (something by Black Milk, GFK, RTJ, maybe something else). Anything yall would recommend before the year ends?

Anybody awake? I have a lot of mindnumbing, detailed work to do on the computer today, so I would like some recommendations for some nerwer chill records I can legally stream. Anybody got some good ones?

lol this too

HiResDes

RTJ 1&2 - great

Drake

I'd recommend these albums:

Armand Hammer - Race Music
A$ton Matthews - Versace Ragz
Sir Michael - Banco
Rakting - So It Goes
Rob Sonic - Alice in Thunderdome
YC the Cynic - GNK
Da$h - V.I.C.E.S.
Da$H & Retch - La Cienda
Vince Staples - Stolen Youth
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Quelle Chris - Niggas is Men
Retch - Delinquents & Degenerates
KA - Night's Gambit

...BTW man I think you have excellent taste

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Posted? Punch ft. Kendrick Lamar - 25. Smooth as hell. Punch is kind of nice..

Ludacris ft. John Legend - In My Life. Kind of wack TBH. I haven't enjoyed anything from Luda in a long ass time.

Trick Trick, Dej Loaf, Guilty Simpson, Black Milk, Sino, Marv Won, Payroll, Hydro, Big Gov, Boldy James, Kid Vishis, Big Herk, Icewear Vezzo, Detroit Che, Calicoe and Diezel - Detroit vs. Everybody Official Remix. Some surprisingly good verses in there. Absolutely hate Dej Loaf on the hook for this though. Marv's verse sounding extra terrible like he spit it through a window.

Anyone besides me who listens to that gets a cookie.

HiResDes

I listened to like four hiphop albums this year (something by Black Milk, GFK, RTJ, maybe something else). Anything yall would recommend before the year ends?

lol this too
Listen to the top two in each rapup, I mean you need to listen to at least ten records to even vote shit is wack.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd just want to pick HRD's brain one day. I cannot even fathom the sort of knowledge he has, the amount of information he can retain about music or how can even possibly listen to that many albums at once.

He is GAF-Hop's centre.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
For real. I can be like "Ay, I wanna listen to some shit made by an eskimo, but that feels like mid-2009 electro trap" and he'd have like, 8 records at the ready.

Also, I'm feeling this Azad Right. (Had to google it, cause the link is broke) but this is perfect.

injurai

Banned
I'd just want to pick HRD's brain one day. I cannot even fathom the sort of knowledge he has, the amount of information he can retain about music or how can even possibly listen to that many albums at once.

He is GAF-Hop's centre.

7d649cc8-7775-4964-a3b4-292845cecb6a_Screen-Shot-2013-11-27-at-1-51-49-PM.png

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'd recommend these albums:

Armand Hammer - Race Music
A$ton Matthews - Versace Ragz
Sir Michael - Banco
Rakting - So It Goes
Rob Sonic - Alice in Thunderdome
YC the Cynic - GNK
Da$h - V.I.C.E.S.
Da$H & Retch - La Cienda
Vince Staples - Stolen Youth
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Quelle Chris - Niggas is Men
Retch - Delinquents & Degenerates
KA - Night's Gambit

...BTW man I think you have excellent taste

Awesome. Thank you HiResDes. I'm so excited to check these out now. I have a lot of things to look into. I don't really know if my tastes are good or not, but I'm glad you think so. I mainly listen to a lot of ambient music, so hip-hop is a welcome change of perspective, but I really like it when it's raw, you know?

Extollere has gotta check out Habits and Contradictions.

That's Q's album? I think I heard it but I can't remember which one... I can't recall any song that stood out to me right now, but if you recommend it I will give it another shot. I usually need to listen to an album a few times before I really fall in love with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh hey, let's check out Gaming Community because I can't sleep
Destiny has other OT? Damn, let me see what's u-

EeubWMb.jpg

injurai

Banned
enzo do you use lightscreen?

edit: nvm I see you grabbed that pic. But I would always get my mouse cursor stuck in screen shots with that capture tool.

overcast

That's Q's album? I think I heard it but I can't remember which one... I can't recall any song that stood out to me right now, but if you recommend it I will give it another shot. I usually need to listen to an album a few times before I really fall in love with it.
Ah okay.

Also:
Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

That's a classic. I don't know how far back you would want recommendations, but I feel like you wouldn't enjoy some other things I like from the past few years.
Oh hey, let's check out Gaming Community because I can't sleep
Destiny has other OT? Damn, let me see what's u-

EeubWMb.jpg
tumblr_nfe42mr3v81s2wio8o1_500.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Late to the party but that Doe-Active song on Ferg Forever sounds like something ODB would have made if he was still around. I can't stop listening to it, it's so fucking ridiculous.

New York Observer: The 10 Best Hip-Hop Albums of 2014

10. Mobb Deep - The Infamous Mobb Deep
9. Black Milk – If There’s A Hell Below
8. Step Brothers (Alchemist And Evidence) – Lord Steppington
7. The Roots – …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin
6. Pharrell Williams – G I R L
5. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Piñata
4. Souls of Mischief – There Is Only Now
3. DJ Premier & Royce Da 5’9” – PRhyme
2. Run The Jewels – Run The Jewels 2
1. Pharoahe Monch – PTSD: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

J Cole getting dat Christian Rap Money

The roots ans souls of mischief dropped albums this year? Were they good?

T Dollarz

Pretty whack ass list

nah

I liked 60% of this list

but nah

Wu-Tang Clan’s ‘A Better Tomorrow’ Debuts at No. 27 on Billboard 200, selling 21.000 copies

http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/wu-tang-clan-a-better-tomorrow-first-week-sales/

lmao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom