• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Safe to say Islah changed when Gates got married, the man's in love and it shows in the music and interviews. No doubt the label got him to make more love anthems too.

Dope album tho just needed a couple more motivation tracks.

jbug617

Banned

Samsung bought 1 million records to give away. Jay Z had an app exclusive for Galaxy phones and the 1st million downloads got MCHG for free. MCHG did also sell over 1 million without the app.

Rihanna is sort of different because you also had to sign up for Tidal to get the free download. 1 day later the album was able to be purchased on Itunes (it's #1 on there).

RIAA counts that as a sale because they bought it. Nobody knows what Billboard is going to do though.

injurai

Banned
Which is fine, but counting it the same as sales...

But I'm probably not the person they are trying to impress or sway in the first place.

I wonder if those free U2 albums were counted as sales?

The record industry is so fucking slimy.

It's amazing how obvious, yet extremely lucid, this statement is. Sometimes you wonder if artists are just being completely cartoonish in their attacks against the "EVUL" mustache twirling money-swindlers of the industry, but sadly it's more of a reality than it may seem.

Sad this is the way it is often, isn't it? We still don't learn as human beings.

Dereck

Speaking of which, there are some things about it that I'm unclear on.

Why is it that Lil Wayne won't leave Young Money and go to someone else if the record label won't let him/won't release his album? Is he contractually obligated to release "Carter 6" on that label or just "any album", on that label?

Why is Drake still with Young Money, didn't his last tape get him out of a contract of some sort?

Why won't Lil Wayne release his album through an indie label, or on bandcamp or some shit

Speaking of which, there are some things about it that I'm unclear on.

Why is it that Lil Wayne won't leave Young Money and go to someone else if the record label won't let him/won't release his album? Is he contractually obligated to release "Carter 6" on that label or just "any album", on that label?

Why is Drake still with Young Money, didn't his last tape get him out of a contract of some sort?

Why won't Lil Wayne release his album through an indie label, or on bandcamp or some shit
Artists just can't leave a label. They're signed. As in contractually signed to that organization. Same reason why a NBA player just can't leave mid contract to a team of their choice.

That Drake theory was just something fans made up. Based on recent happenings it looks like Wayne and Baby have made up.

Dereck

Birdman owns them. He said they ain't going nowhere so they're not.
tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

injurai

Banned
What's the highest you've got in terms of ranking, ha ha! Just kidding, LOL.

Yeah, it's a damn good album. I have to say though, Del just steals the show on the album, which is a testament to how good that album is in terms of rapping.

AAA though I guess there are always those rare S ranks (shoutouts to Irish)

Nibel

If I'm correct she sold records to a phone company. Similar to what Jay did.

Samsung bought 1 million records to give away. Jay Z had an app exclusive for Galaxy phones and the 1st million downloads got MCHG for free. MCHG did also sell over 1 million without the app.

Rihanna is sort of different because you also had to sign up for Tidal to get the free download. 1 day later the album was able to be purchased on Itunes (it's #1 on there).

RIAA counts that as a sale because they bought it. Nobody knows what Billboard is going to do though.

Now that's cheating

Fjordson

Del was pretty unstoppable 90s-2000.

Future Development thooooo
He really was.

Future Development is so dope. I remember hearing Corner Story once made me go out and buy the album from Japan on Amazon (was out of print here for some reason at that time). Such a great beat. Luckily the rest of the album is really good also, though.

IrishNinja

i need to hear this meek/drake shit apparently

Courage turning this thread into Lipstick Alley with his pop recommendations

Damn I really might give Rih a spin huh

Edit: holy shit she went platinum in less than 48 hours, now that's power

If I'm correct she sold records to a phone company. Similar to what Jay did.

yup - i don't fuck with sales age but that's always kinda ehhh

that said, rihanna doesnt do shit for me, but im curious about this album if it's an outlier

Has Ghostface responded yet?

not since the earlier shot (linked already) on how dude looks, so nah, not responded yet to the goon squad (...) video
eagerly awaiting it though

@JoshTheGoon 1h1 hour ago

Timbaland refuses to perform at Flint, MI charity concert because they gave him Dom instead of Ace of Spades. These are your idols.

Knew Timbo was a piece of shit when I met a runner at the studio i was working @ who told me about Tim making fun of his speech impediment.

Tim was one of this kid's heroes, so naturally, his speech impediment kicked in when he had to take his idol's order.

So, being the great guy that he is, Timbaland began making fun of the kid, and incited the rest of the room to do so as well.

If that does not a piece of shit make, I'm not too sure what does

jeez

Koozek

That's why I always seperate artists' work and personality. Ever since I learned Koichi Sugiyama (the Dragon Quest composer) is a right-wing nutjob.

Safe to say Islah changed when Gates got married, the man's in love and it shows in the music and interviews. No doubt the label got him to make more love anthems too.

Dope album tho just needed a couple more motivation tracks.

yep, his music seems like it has less bite here. whatever, album's good. 2 phones is tight.

Eos

What an asshole. They bring you the wrong alcoholic beverage and now you cancel your performance at a charity concert? Especially with what's going on in Flint right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom