• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Thank God Ka Never Gave Up | The Fader

The cousins were coming into their own as emcees during a storied era for New York rap, and La proudly runs down the genealogy of Brooklyn legends he and Ka are supposedly connected to. Their cousin Lil Pop from the barbershop, immortalized in a shoutout on Biggie’s “Warning.” Busta Rhymes, who La says he used to beat up in grade school. Spliff Star, who they used to play dice with. Nas, who La drove around while working for a limo company (he was a bad tipper). And Jay Z, who La claims to have once almost robbed on the corner of Marcus Garvey and Willoughby in Bed-Stuy. The story is almost too much to believe, which could just mean it’s true: “This was like in ‘84. Jay was on the corner rapping. I was like 14. We listening to him rhyme, me and my stickup crew. We was watching him, but he ain’t have nothing on. I got tired of it so we left.” La tells me I can put it all in my article, and grins wide.

overcast

Saw James Blake yesterday, and the funniest part of the experience was Vince Staples performing to a pretty dead crowd. It's such a shame because he played a lot of these really exciting songs (Senorita, Jump off the Roof, Big Time) and practically no one was dancing around to them largely because it was Radio City Music Hall and moshing is not really accepted in that kind of venue. Still, Vince was amazing, James was amazing, James' opener Moses Sumney was amazing.
I was worrying about this when I got to see him later this month. Really doubt the Blake fans will be ideal to watch Vince with.

Koozek

CYaWSTM.gif

I was worrying about this when I got to see him later this month. Really doubt the Blake fans will be ideal to watch Vince with.
I'd say its less that and more the venue. Radio City is not an ideal place to sort of jump, dance, and mosh with people because its a seated venue. If you're seeing him in a place with a GA, it'll most definitely be better but if its a more "elegant / high-brow" place, then it's not going to be as fun. I think the best way to judge how fun it'll be is by looking at the concerts / events the place has held before Blake and co.; rap shows, punk shows, etc. is a good sign, formal concerts, artier rock backs / pop singers is not.

Alright, listening to The Life Of Pablo right now....

Why the fuck is Panda on Pt. 2?

8000% sure it was a business decision. Pusha wanted to sign him and asked Ye to convert Part 2 into a Panda remix. Boom, overnight hype and Desiigner became the hottest rapper for a good minute. Same reason why Teyana Taylor was cast for the Fade video. Keep it in the family, and with Cruel Winter on the way, you can guarantee the profiles of HXLT, Kacy Hill, 070 Shake, Desiigner, and god knows who else are going to skyrocket.

8000% sure it was a business decision. Pusha wanted to sign him and asked Ye to convert Part 2 into a Panda remix. Boom, overnight hype and Desiigner became the hottest rapper for a good minute. Same reason why Teyana Taylor was cast for the Fade video. Keep it in the family, and with Cruel Winter on the way, you can guarantee the profiles of HXLT, Kacy Hill, 070 Shake, Desiigner, and god knows who else are going to skyrocket.

Makes sense. I LOVE that sample at the beginning of Father Stretch My Hands.

Detox

Depression, anxieties and feelings aren't nothing new in rap. Off the top of my head we got Scarface and Biggie said some dark shit.

Just a sign of the times this generation is fucked and the music with the mumbling and dumb sounds reflect it. Even Drake with his fake patois is making weak dancehall track.

Someone bring the funk back.

Depression, anxieties and feelings aren't nothing new in rap. Off the top of my head we got Scarface and Biggie said some dark shit.

Just a sign of the times this generation is fucked and the music with the mumbling and dumb sounds reflect it. Even Drake with his fake patois is making weak dancehall track.

Someone bring the funk back.
Nothing more fucked about this generation than any other.
Most people I know including myself who listen to this music aren't actually practicing what they're talking about anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom