• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get into more lyricaly obfuscating rappers, beyond like just Lupe Fiasco.

Doesn't get more obfuscating than Aesop Rock. Start with Labor Days.

I guess DOOM would also fit and I honestly prefer him to both.
Start with Operation Doomsday and Mm... Food, then go straight to Madvillainy.

Exodust

Banned
For all that care this leaked:

Czarface-A-Fistful-Of-Peril-Album-Cover-Art.jpg

The first Czarface was fun but I tuned out on the second one too quick, will check this one out.

Mobb-Deep-Infamy.jpg

not gonna lie i hated on this album when i was younger, but i listened to it again this week and tbh i found myself liking it waaay more than i remember. the album has aged well.

Woke to blood on the gate
Witchcraft whispered by maids
The fear under the mask/my father’s face ashen
Hands grasping/held us back
We were kids laughing
A few months later the hearse had him
Graveside
Women clutch white napkins
Black magic
Rumors it wasn’t no accident
State funeral/uniforms and acronyms
Eat with the dead pour strong spirits
We Africans
Yeah, me and my sister
We never really laughed again

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The ASAP Mob thing isn't bad. Probably the best thing to come out of that camp in a few years. But maybe I'm just biased due to the fact that I'm 90% certain they got a DJ Smokey beat on one of the tracks (Young N****a Livin).

Ok, serious question for you all: has Killer Mike's over-exposure courtesy of being the number one representative for Bernie and the subsequent overexposure of RTJ via Gears of War and other ventures ruined RTJ's music for you?

Personally speaking, while I do still like both albums from the group, I don't get the same enjoyment from RTJ2 as I did back in 2014. I haven't felt the desire to revisit the group's albums even as RTJ3 looms ever closer, and I honestly think the most exciting thing the group has done so far this year has been El-P producing ZDR's new single. Their Adult Swim single has done nothing for me either.

Turning it to you guys, thoughts?

Billy Woods

Also good, although I find both Aesop as well as DOOM more accessible sonically.
Even though Billy Woods is more accessible lyrically than the former. That is more of a (negative) assessment of Aesop's lyrics though.

Ok, serious question for you all: has Killer Mike's over-exposure courtesy of being the number one representative for Bernie and the subsequent overexposure of RTJ via Gears of War and other ventures ruined RTJ's music for you?

Personally speaking, while I do still like both albums from the group, I don't get the same enjoyment from RTJ2 as I did back in 2014. I haven't felt the desire to revisit the group's albums even as RTJ3 looms ever closer, and I honestly think the most exciting thing the group has done so far this year has been El-P producing ZDR's new single. Their Adult Swim single has done nothing for me either.

Turning it to you guys, thoughts?

I liked the new single
I don't play Gears of War

However, I haven't revisited RTJ1 or 2 while I often go back to both RAP Music and Cancer 4 Cure. I don't know, RTJ didn't have the staying power their more personal projects had. I'm still looking forward to RTJ3 but I'm not as excited as I was for RTJ2.

Not sure how much that had to do with Bernie tho.

Doesn't get more obfuscating than Aesop Rock. Start with Labor Days.

I guess DOOM would also fit and I honestly prefer him to both.
Start with Operation Doomsday and Mm... Food, then go straight to Madvillainy.
Thanks, I was gonna go to them, but didn't know which order I should choose.
Thanks.
Will report back.

RTJ2 was an amazing album. I did a quick search and saw it was this thread's AOTY that year. Granted I thought RTJ1 was meh, but surely after 2 it's hard to outright dismiss them or be tired.

Eminem has been trash for a decade. I'll wait for RTJ to release a bad album before making statements on their trumped up place in the genre...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I need more trap like this. It's dark and bassy, but not too turnt. You know what I mean? Like, it's not too wild, more laid back, but it still bangs. I dunno what you call it, but I need to be high as fuck later when I listen to this again.

Tokubetsu

I need more trap like this. It's dark and bassy, but not too turnt. You know what I mean? Like, it's not too wild, more laid back, but it still bangs. I dunno what you call it, but I need to be high as fuck later when I listen to this again.

It's dirty, it's not clean. Sound wise as well.

Bacon

Definitely getting some Three Six vibes from this tape, which they were probably going for seeing as Juicy J is featured on the first track.

Torre what's your #1 Kanye song
Coming with the hard questions, I see.

It's honestly tied between "On Sight", "Runaway", and "POWER." I'm the biggest "Yeezus" stan you'll ever meet, and I fucking adore those synths on "On Sight." Quite honestly, the best thing Daft Punk has made in the last 5 years, and I would do unspeakable things to just get a 10 minute long remix of that track's instrumentals by them.

HiiiLife

It's honestly tied between "On Sight", "Runaway", and "POWER." I'm the biggest "Yeezus" stan you'll ever meet, and I fucking adore those synths on "On Sight." Quite honestly, the best thing Daft Punk has made in the last 5 years, and I would do unspeakable things to just get a 10 minute long remix of that track's instrumentals by them.

Damn was kinda expecting some old Ye song honestly lol. For me it's either Spaceship or Bittersweet. I dunno how Bittersweet never got an official release for an album. I remember getting it through limewire and playing the shit out of it prior to Graduation hype.

Damn was kinda expecting some old Ye song honestly lol. For me it's either Spaceship or Bittersweet. I dunno how Bittersweet never got an official release for an album. I remember getting it through limewire and playing the shit out of it prior to Graduation hype.
I'm actually a relatively new Kanye stan. My musical history with Ye is so bizarre: the first Kanye song I ever listened to was the single edit of "Runaway." I remember downloading "Take One for the Team", "The Joy", "Power Remix", and another GOOD Friday track, but I hadn't listened to MBDTF in full till about 2012. My first album was 808s and Heartbreak which I listened to around that time as well., but the first album of his I really connected to was "Yeezus." That was the summer where I really went all in on music. I remember how I felt when I first listened to that album too; I could actually feel my entire musical paradigm shift and it really hit me how powerful music could be. I remember falling in love with that album in a way I hadn't really experienced till date, and it was weird too because I remember spurning Burial's "Rival Dealer" but loving this album too.

I'm probably the Kanye stan the real fans hate: the one that thinks his experimental triptych are miles ahead of TCD and LR.

EDIT: Actually wait, first Ye song was "Stronger", but that led me to Daft Punk. I was listening to Alive 2007 in middle school as a result.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RTJ got stale pretty much immediately after RTJ2 dropped, and before they grew in popularity. Not gonna pin that one on them going mainstream, they been making albums worth one spin.

shoelacer

Banned
Run The Jewels has taken the place of Eminem for white people thinking they're at the forefront of hip hop

I get what you're saying but after that last thing he farted out I'm pretty sure Eminem is still miles ahead of them in that regard. He hasn't made a decent song in over a decade, and he just gets worse, but somehow people buy into the 'rap god' thing even more now that he's complete trash

What about Gone or Lost In The World? Not a big Kanye fan but those songs stand out.

What about Gone or Lost In The World? Not a big Kanye fan but those songs stand out.

I love "Lost in the World", but you gotta understand: the differences between top-tier Kanye tracks are like nanometers. I love all of them, but some I love just slightly more than others. "Lost in the World" into the Gil Scott-Heron skit at the end is some beautiful stuff.

Fjordson

RTJ got stale pretty much immediately after RTJ2 dropped, and before they grew in popularity. Not gonna pin that one on them going mainstream, they been making albums worth one spin.
This is totally true for me lol.

First RTJ is good and the second album has some nice tracks, but can't say I ever revisit it. Don't really care about the third record either.

I feel you breh. I don't dislike trap, but I usually prefer more laid back stuff. This is kinda reserved. In a good way.

I love "Lost in the World", but you gotta understand: the differences between top-tier Kanye tracks are like nanometers. I love all of them, but some I love just slightly more than others. "Lost in the World" into the Gil Scott-Heron skit at the end is some beautiful stuff.

Ah yeah, we all have artists that fall into this category.

That Migos - Bad and Boujee song the best single they've came up with in a long time. Lil Uzi Vert kind of ruins the flow of it honestly tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom