• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia/Werewolf |OT| A forum game of secrets and treachery - sign up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
I honest to good want to moderate the next game, I am enjoying this mafia game but I also want to try my hand at creating a cohesive story with the next Mafia Project.

I pretty much have the dynamic figured out and its going to have a weird twist that I am sure will catch people by surprise yet make sense in context.

And the theme is Futurama.

See now I definitely don't want to moderate next game.

SalvaPot

See now I definitely don't want to moderate next game.

c8105ebcdf0dc6cdd575a39e2e5c712fa3614bce611c0b6bbdf7d4d50741c8c4.jpg

The withdrawal is real

I simplified my Roller Coaster Tycoon idea for GAFia S4; now it's People/Rides (Town) vs. Vandals (Mafia).

spoilers in case you don't want to know the mechanics/explanation, don't worry there aren't any role description spoilers

• 23 players. Role Madness - High Excitement/Medium Intensity/Very High Nausea.
  • Each player gets 2 roles, one as a Person and one as a Ride. It's like everyone has a favourite ride they want to go on.
  • During the day, everyone's technically in their People role; you're all basically voting for which Ride to visit and cross off your mystery attractions list when you vote to lynch someone out. It's assumed that the lynched Person "stays" on their role description's Ride, explaining their leaving of the group.
  • Each player may or may not have a passive ability that belongs to their Ride side, which only activates upon being lynched/ridden; this is the Ride gimmick of the theme.
  • Town wins once all the Vandals are "off the premises". Vandals win once everything and everyone has been graffiti'd, dented and vomited on out of commission.

Droplet

I still want to play a Resistance style game. No kills, just mission successes and failures. I'm not entirely sure how it would work on a forum though.

Droplet

Are you talking about this game?

At BoardGameGeek they play it online.

Yep! Sounds like it just needs to be played with less people. For the early deaths maybe??

Destiny Mafia.

Not many roles and you have to play Day Three over and over, but if you stick around for year it gets a lot better, maybe.

We also switch mods halfway into the game because the first one keeps phoning in the flavor text.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone mentioned Death Note here or there and while I'm not one for the source material, time delay kills are interesting.

Sorian

Banned
I think someone earlier this thread said that a batman themed mafia (using the Arkham Knight story as a base) would work and I'd agree.

Blarg gets to be the riddler.

Palmer_v1

Someone mentioned Death Note here or there and while I'm not one for the source material, time delay kills are interesting.

While brainstorming, I considered a Sniper role for the mafia team. Has to spend one night setting up the kill, then kills on second night. Getting role blocked on either night interrupts the process and they show activity both nights.

There's also a Poisoner in Werewolf. Targets one night, but victim doesn't die until the next Night.

Sorian

Banned
While brainstorming, I considered a Sniper role for the mafia team. Has to spend one night setting up the kill, then kills on second night. Getting role blocked on either night interrupts the process and they show activity both nights.

There's also a Poisoner in Werewolf. Targets one night, but victim doesn't die until the next Night.

I would assume that poisoner only shows activity on a night they are applying poison? So if they skip a night and an earlier target dies then no suspicion?

For GAFia Season 4, I call dibs on hosting a theme that is literally a mystery.

The thread title will literally be:

? [Mafia] Discover as you play.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I was thinking of that. Wouldn't it be more interesting if they dropped dead at a specific time in the day?

Like, the Death Note wielders will PM me a time on the following Day cycle. At that time, I throw up a post to show whose name was written.

MINDGAMESSSSSS

Zubz

Banned
I think someone earlier this thread said that a batman themed mafia (using the Arkham Knight story as a base) would work and I'd agree.

Blarg gets to be the riddler.

Ah. I just wanted 2 big franchises that have crossed over for a Traveller game; I'd love to see 2 GM's pull it off, and I'd be willing to be 1 of them.

I'd love to see a Poisoner, honestly. And does the Sniper get his/her kill separate of the other Mafia?

For GAFia Season 4, I call dibs on hosting a theme that is literally a mystery.

The thread title will literally be:

? [Mafia] Discover as you play.

That sounds like the Blarggiest game I can imagine. I gotta see how that plays out!
It's Gravity Falls, ain't it?

Also, glad to see my old Combat Buddy's back! I hope you cultists do a better job of keeping him alive than I did!

Kalor

Is it too soon to start asking for a Zero Escape flavored game? Maybe we should wait a couple seasons after Danganronpa before the next VN-inspired game...

Ok, ok. Persona-themed then?!

I've been working on a Zero Escape theme but I wouldn't be able to do it until around Season 5 just due to being busy. I might not stick with the theme but I have a unique mechanic for it.

Swamped

Banned
Ok, I'm off! Have fun in the DR thread everyone. I will definitely post Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, and I'll try my best to check in before then. But if i don't, don't accidentally replace me Launchpad!

The box, THE BOX

That sounds like the Blarggiest game I can imagine. I gotta see how that plays out!
It's Gravity Falls, ain't it?

Nope! I will say that it's not anything anyone's mentioned or reserved so far...

It's nothing at all oooOoOooOOOOoooOoOOOooOooo

I've got dibs on the GF game, but I would gladly work with Blarg on it. I could use some advice.

OMGI'DHAVENOIDEAWHATTOTELLYOU

If we're both hosts for S4, shame I won't be able to play in the Gravity Falls game :( We can hella collab though, I think my planned mystery theme will need a lot of balancing tweaks... a LOT

GOP Presidential Ballot Mafia

Every week, you bible-thumping, job-creating, war-mongering, climate-change-denying good-for-nothing sons-of-bitches launch a smear campaign in tandem against one of your own to force them out of the race as the 2016 Presidential nomination looms ever closer.

But beware, Empress Hilary Clinton has sent her manchurian candidates among you to sabotage what little unity you had. You need to figure out who they are and destroy their careers or the GOP can never hope to gain the White House.

Ron Paul is the neutral role.

I laughed pretty damn hard at this.

Also, still working on an X-Com theme for next round. It was going to be the Base Assault portion of X-Com, but now that feels kind of derivative of Archer Gafia ;_;

I laughed pretty damn hard at this.

Also, still working on an X-Com theme for next round. It was going to be the Base Assault portion of X-Com, but now that feels kind of derivative of Archer Gafia ;_;
If the base is good, does it really matter? Dangan is slightly derivative of AC. The role setup is the big part.

RetroMG

If everyone's working on their own flavor I call dibs on Doctor Who.

Good call! I was trying to think of a way to make this work myself, the closest I came up with was
that The Doctor's Tardis is malfunctioning, so the Tardis will appear once a day and once a night. His companions and a couple of his enemies are all present, but alien technology has made them all look like normal people. Once per day and night, the players throw someone into the reappearing Tardis, where the Doctor locks them up.

It's not amazing, but it's what I came up with.

If the base is good, does it really matter? Dangan is slightly derivative of AC. The role setup is the big part.

The Gravity Falls game I'm working on is similar to AC as well, although I've got some fun twists that I think people won't see coming. (Also, no map shenanigans.)

CzarTim

I saw the new Mission Impossible and it was way better than I expected. I mean, I didn't think it'd be bad or anything, but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

RetroMG

I saw the new Mission Impossible and it was way better than I expected. I mean, I didn't think it'd be bad or anything, but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

Movie talk! I saw Jurassic World yesterday. It wasn't as good as the first one, but it was pretty solid..

Fireblend

Banned
Good call! I was trying to think of a way to make this work myself, the closest I came up with was
that The Doctor's Tardis is malfunctioning, so the Tardis will appear once a day and once a night. His companions and a couple of his enemies are all present, but alien technology has made them all look like normal people. Once per day and night, the players throw someone into the reappearing Tardis, where the Doctor locks them up.
I have nothing to do, so I'll give it a shot:

UNIT has finally convinced the Doctor to give its top ranking members, along with some of his old companions, a tour of the TARDIS. However, unbeknownst to them, a group of Zygons (and some other enemies using Zygon tech) have infiltrated UNIT, and manage to make it aboard as well. During the tour the Doctor approaches the Heart of the TARDIS, and that's when the Zygons reveal their presence, attempting to destroy it by deploying a <PLOT DEVICE> that will gradually decompose it.

However, the TARDIS manages to activate one of its many fail-safe mechanisms, halting its destruction by freezing the TARDIS in time, which makes it impossible to exit. The Zygons play one last gambit and deploy some sort of agent that modifies everyone's perception of each other, making everyone unable to recognize themselves.

The TARDIS is damaged and needs the Doctor and his friends' help, but if a single enemy where to sabotage the repairs, it would be destroyed. The Doctor comes up with a plan: Logic the fuck out of who's who, and every 24 hours allow the TARDIS to unfreeze time just for a minute, in order to expel the saboteurs. When there are no saboteurs left, he and his friends will repair the TARDIS before the <PLOT DEVICE> destroys it.

Also, Jenny appears at some point to give myself closure because Moffat won't.

El Topo

I'd say the biggest challenge is coming up with an interesting spin (that nonetheless allows easy accessibility). Something like Stargate Mafia is easy to implement, but probably doesn't allow for much variety.

This is GAF Mafia though so the tardis will end up destroyed.

True.

Top Bottom