• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF MLB League Thread: The Curse of Bagwell..

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yea it's a advantage for them cause its easier,if you cant win using breakpoint or the hitstick then play with pinpoint and classic hitting.Some people can win using the harder methods,why make them play with easier controls?

I use breakpoint every game. I don't think we should make pinpoint mandatory. I see where you're coming from DCX, that it's easier for those using pinpoint, but I like the challenge of the breakpoint system. It's not as much fun with pinpoint pitching and it just feels wrong (to me).

I don't think the swing stick is broken at all. At least you can actually aim where to hit it (push the ball, pull the ball, etc.). I think the swing stick is a hell of a lot better than classic, where you just have to hit A at the right time (boring).

bluemax

Banned
ChrisJames said:
I use breakpoint every game. I don't think we should make pinpoint mandatory. I see where you're coming from DCX, that it's easier for those using pinpoint, but I like the challenge of the breakpoint system. It's not as much fun with pinpoint pitching and it just feels wrong (to me).

I don't think the swing stick is broken at all. At least you can actually aim where to hit it (push the ball, pull the ball, etc.). I think the swing stick is a hell of a lot better than classic, where you just have to hit A at the right time (boring).

That's odd, with swing stick I couldn't figure out how to aim hits other than fly balls. I read the directions for ground balls but it was something about turning the stick as you released and that just wasn't working for me. Swing stick works ok offline, but it feels way too laggy/inconsistent online for me.

I like breakpoint pitching though.

Andokuky

Banned
Yea the swing stick is much better offline than online to me. I aim when using classic better than I did using swing stick, you can do more than just hit A at the right time.

Cloudy

Banned
ChrisJames said:

You do know you can aim with the left stick as you hit, right?

DCX

DCX
Big Zep said:
lol @ making pinpoint mandatory...Takes all the fun out.
So does Classic Swinging! Everyone should use one way or the other. Pinpoint/Classic swing or Swing Stick/Breakpoint make things equal, i think it's a ****ing crime some players use pinpoint (easy) and classic ( easy ) talk about taking the fun out, and the element of mistakes.

PS: Shawn we can finish out our seris @ 11 est. I need to go to bed early, i really hope you can ake it then.

Base Wars

Dez

the classic swing vs swing stick debate was already discussed, and was dismissed because a lot of people said they'd drop out if it was a swing stick only league. I like the swing stick.. but it makes things look ridiculous when you see someone using the "step" way before you've even started to pitch.

Andokuky

Banned
DCX said:
So does Classic Swinging! Everyone should use one way or the other. Pinpoint/Classic swing or Swing Stick/Breakpoint make things equal, i think it's a ****ing crime some players use pinpoint (easy) and classic ( easy ) talk about taking the fun out, and the element of mistakes.

PS: Shawn we can finish out our seris @ 11 est. I need to go to bed early, i really hope you can ake it then.

Base Wars

Have you used all the methods? You make it seem like using classic swing makes the game Slugfest or something :lol If you know how to hit, you'll hit using either method. Pitching is the same way. I had like 4-5 hits on me in two games during the tourney using breakpoint. It's not some extreme challenge or anything. If you can pitch you'll pitch fine either way.

Swing stick takes a lot more skill and effort than breakpoint pitching to me. it's not like breakpoint completely changes the mechanics of what you're doing.

joeyballgame you still around? sorry about not responding earlier. i was about to message you to play and then my roommate was going to exercise and needed the tv. can't wait till im outta this bitch with my own place next month! :D

DCX

DCX
FrenchMovieTheme said:
joeyballgame you still around? sorry about not responding earlier. i was about to message you to play and then my roommate was going to exercise and needed the tv. can't wait till im outta this bitch with my own place next month! :D
Not mention a better connection hopefully :)

DCX

MickeyPhree

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Yeah, I ended up starting to pass out and needed to sleep. We'll see whats going on for tonight. What's your schedule like over the next few days?

Well, we have 6 players who have played 6 games/completed both series'. However, we have half of our players at 5 games played (6 at 6, 5 at 5), so we will definitely be able to move on to the next series soon. How soon? That's not up to me :)

bluemax

Banned
Anyone know the Brewers guys contact info? I'm home early and in need of a distraction. If he's around hit me up on AIM: Super Ska Hero.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
bluemax said:
Anyone know the Brewers guys contact info? I'm home early and in need of a distraction. If he's around hit me up on AIM: Super Ska Hero.
aim and gamertag: sefskillz

AkaBalla

19 games left until week 6 is complete. I'd like to see these completed by Sunday night, If there's less then 10 games left by Sat 9pm est we can move onto our 3rd series.

MickeyPhree

I've only done one game against Frenchie, I still have 2 left. Could I move on to my week 3 opponent?. I'm on almost ever night, but Frenchie schedule seems a tad erradict.

AkaBalla said:
19 games left until week 6 is complete. I'd like to see these completed by Sunday night, If there's less then 10 games left by Sat 9pm est we can move onto our 3rd series.

I thought Big Zep said that we had to have half of the series completed before we moved on. So that would be 16.5 games (33 total games/2=16.5). So technically if we got to 16 games left that would be half of the games done.

Just adding my two cents, because I went to get my record where it should be ASAP

AkaBalla

ChrisJames said:
I thought Big Zep said that we had to have half of the series completed before we moved on. So that would be 16.5 games (33 total games/2=16.5). So technically if we got to 16 games left that would be half of the games done.

Just adding my two cents, because I went to get my record where it should be ASAP

Shhhhhhhhhh! that was to scare people in getting games in quickly, now u messed that p dam u.. lol j/k

Yea we can go that route as well like Zep said, but there's no such thing as 16.5, so in essence we wouldnt be able to complete another league game.

--------------------------------------------------

Other News around the MLB

Red Sox will send Papelbon back to bullpenESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox didn't have to search long for Mike Timlin's replacement as closer.

Two days after announcing that the 41-year-old Timlin will start the season on the disabled list, multiple team sources told ESPN's Erin Andrews that the Red Sox have decided Jonathan Papelbon has regained the closer's job.

Papelbon had 35 saves and a 0.92 ERA last season as a closer in his rookie year, but a shoulder problem detected late in the season led the team to decide he would move to the starting rotation in 2007.

Because of Papelbon's shoulder issues, there will be restrictions on how he is used: He won't throw when he is tired and he won't appear in more than three games in a row, Andrews reports.

The news comes after manager Terry Francona announced that Timlin, who has been bothered by a strained oblique, will start the season on the DL.

Right-handers Joel Pineiro, Brendan Donnelly and Julian Tavarez were originally being considered to close games in Timlin's absence.

"Those are still the guys we're strongly looking at," Boston pitching coach John Farrell said Wednesday.

In the Boston Herald on Thursday, Papelbon voiced his willingness to return to the bullpen.

"My door is always open to better a ballclub. That's what it boils down to," Papelbon told the Herald when asked if he'd consider a return. "If it betters a ballclub, my door is open, let's talk about it, figure it out. For me, I'm going to do what's best for the team. If they go out and get somebody, or somebody finally steps up, and says, 'Hey, I want this role' ... then we go about our business, and everyone's happy.

"If not, then we've got to figure something out," he told the newspaper. "Whether I go back [to the bullpen] or whether I stay starting and wait until the All-Star break, and do something then, we'll have to see. It's not an easy decision."

bluemax

Banned
sefskillz said:
aim and gamertag: sefskillz

Sorry I didn't hit you up, I was refreshing the board and then got involved in playing GoW2 and then went to sleep. You gonna be around say 8-9pm pst?

That news makes me sad aka, as a M's fan and someone not fond of the Red Sox I REALLY REALLY wanted to see Pineiro as your closer. Would've been worth the price of MLB.tv

Dez

bluemax said:
Sorry I didn't hit you up, I was refreshing the board and then got involved in playing GoW2 and then went to sleep. You gonna be around say 8-9pm pst?

That news makes me sad aka, as a M's fan and someone not fond of the Red Sox I REALLY REALLY wanted to see Pineiro as your closer. Would've been worth the price of MLB.tv

I think a rotation of Schilling, Matsuzaka, Papelbon,Beckett, Wakefield would have been much scarier. Instead of Papelbon pitching 200 innings, he'll pitch 70. I think that's good news for non-Red Sox fans.

bluemax

Banned
Dez said:
I think a rotation of Schilling, Matsuzaka, Papelbon,Beckett, Wakefield would have been much scarier. Instead of Papelbon pitching 200 innings, he'll pitch 70. I think that's good news for non-Red Sox fans.

Joel Pineiro closing games out would've been comedy of the highest order. The guy has absolutely nothing in the tank since he went off steroids. Watching BoSox fans flip out as he got destroyed night in and night out would've been cathartic.

MickeyPhree

Hey Zep, if you see me on and want to get started on the next series let's go. French isn't on much and I don't want to hold things up.

sexton i can play tonight if you can play at about 9 pm pst. otherwise we can play tomorrow. sorry about not being on much but i usually work 8am-7pm -_-

somedays 8-5, that is why we were able to play yesterday ;)

DCX

DCX
Andokuky said:
If anyone wants a scrimmage, post here, message me on AIM (AndoSD) or Live (Andowsky)
Well, we can start our series if you want, i have one game left against Shawn but he hasn't been around the last few days.

DCX

Dez

ChrisJames said:
Damn, no one's played tonight. This place is going to hell. :D

So Dez when we playing our series? I'll be gone Saturday.

I can play whenever.. but I don't think we're allowed to start our series anyway.

MickeyPhree

FrenchMovieTheme said:
sexton i can play tonight if you can play at about 9 pm pst. otherwise we can play tomorrow. sorry about not being on much but i usually work 8am-7pm -_-

somedays 8-5, that is why we were able to play yesterday ;)

tonight between 11pm est and 12am est i should be around

DCX

DCX
Andokuky said:
If you're still up and wanna play DCX just post or send me a message on XBL.
If it was earlier in the week, i would have been up :p I went to bed around 2. Just missed ya. I'm off today so maybe sometime today.

DCX

Zep

Banned
Storybook, my fault about last night...I was playing some VT w/ a ladyfriend. Hopefully tonight we can play.

sexton aka joeybizzo - i'm around right now if you can play. my roommate is going to be using the tv from appox 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm pst, so i can't play at that time. but anytime before or after that i can play. hit me up on AIM or post here. my aim is whossorrynow015. my GAF username is FrenchMovieTheme

DCX

DCX
Shawnwhann said:
Hey DCX, lets make up that aborted game from the other day when you get a chance. If not tonight, how about tomorrow morning?
We can very soon, the laddies have to go to bed first.

DCX

_Angelus_

Banned
Hey BirdSiht-our games have been pretty bad online. maybe we should wait a few hours and hope it clears up. I can't even log onto XBox Live right now. I've run tests with my connection and its working,it just tells me XBox Live isn't though.:/

Are you having any troubles connecting to live right now,I am.

Ok I'm back on again. Seems to be working fine now,hopefully I'll see you on there in a few minutes.

AkaBalla

Konex and I are playing now

Were gonna skip our rotation bec i was supposed to play DM using my #2 man. I will use 3,4 and 1 vs Konex just so DM doesnt have to face Schill again.

Top Bottom