• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Party: Come and watch as the lulz ensue... hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVclub

red shoe paul said:
Agreed. We need a East Coast GAF party.
Seconded!

BTW: Live-streaming is a bad idea for a party. It will make everyone uptight and unwilling to be themselves. The guests don't need the pressure of possibly thousands of spectators watching and critiquing them in realtime online. I think it would be cool if people busted out Flip video here and there during the night if something interesting goes down. But having a constant live stream is a sure way to kill the party.

AVclub said:
Seconded!

BTW: Live-streaming is a bad idea for a party. It will make everyone uptight and unwilling to be themselves. The guests don't need the pressure of possibly thousands of spectators watching and critiquing them in realtime online. I think it would be cool if people busted out Flip video here and there during the night if something interesting goes down. But having a constant live stream is a sure way to kill the party.
Agreed. We don't need a bunch of Internet people watching our every move.

Gilgamesh

AVclub said:
I think you're ignoring the positive aspects of a live stream, such as murder deterrence.

Feep

Banned
salva said:
WE ARE INTERNET PEOPLE

I say just set it up in a corner, out of the way, and if people want to go out and have fun with it, they can. It shouldn't be too big a deal. The rest of GAF wants their fun too, and it's not their fault they live elsewhere.

gibration

Me and a couple of friends might go but I have a couple of questions first.
What games will be played besides Rock Band?
And will there be any beer pong?

Feep

Banned
gibration said:
Me and a couple of friends might go but I have a couple of questions first.
What games will be played besides Rock Band?
And will there be any beer pong?
No offense, but fuck beer pong.

I can figure out ways to drink that don't involve incredibly boring games that drag on for twenty minutes because no one can hit the final damn cup.

gibration

Feep said:
No offense, but fuck beer pong.

I can figure out ways to drink that don't involve incredibly boring games that drag on for twenty minutes because no one can hit the final damn cup.
Then don't play?
I'm sure many there would love to play beer pong if we can get a setup.

Feep said:
WE ARE INTERNET PEOPLE

I say just set it up in a corner, out of the way, and if people want to go out and have fun with it, they can. It shouldn't be too big a deal. The rest of GAF wants their fun too, and it's not their fault they live elsewhere.
I know a couple of gaffers that aren't going because of the live stream. The enjoyment of gaffers that can't go shouldn't be fulfilled at the expense of those that can actually go.

Feep

Banned
salva said:
I know a couple of gaffers that aren't going because of the live stream. The enjoyment of gaffers that can't go shouldn't be fulfilled at the expense of those that can actually go.
(shrug) Agree to disagree. There are hundreds of people who'd like to watch and have fun interacting with us. Those few gunshy people probably wouldn't be comfortable at a party with fifty strangers anyway, and it's unfair to those people looking forward to it (and, indirectly, using it to determine whether or not they should throw local GAF parties of their own) to cut the feed because of a few wallflowers.

The vast majority of us are good with the livestream, it appears. It'll probably happen. To those who aren't going because of it, I'm sorry. Loosen up! We're all buddies, even the creepy internet ones.

Feep said:
(shrug) Agree to disagree. There are hundreds of people who'd like to watch and have fun interacting with us. Those few gunshy people probably wouldn't be comfortable at a party with fifty strangers anyway, and it's unfair to those people looking forward to it (and, indirectly, using it to determine whether or not they should throw local GAF parties of their own) to cut the feed because of a few wallflowers.

The vast majority of us are good with the livestream, it appears. It'll probably happen. To those who aren't going because of it, I'm sorry. Loosen up! We're all buddies, even the creepy internet ones.
This party started without the idea of live streaming. You know, it was meant for gaffers to go and have fun, not for people to sit on their asses and watch us make fool of ourselves/interact with each other/sex.

Feep

Banned
salva said:
This party started without the idea of live streaming. You know, it was meant for gaffers to go and have fun, not for people to sit on their asses and watch us make fool of ourselves/interact with each other/sex.
Why are you placing gaffers in Los Angeles on a different tier than people who live elsewhere? I'd sure love to watch if I couldn't make it. You're placing three or four socially awkward people in front of hundreds. We aren't going to make fools of ourselves. They're the same as us.

Honestly, deal with it. If livestreaming will happen, and it most likely will, due to the overwhelmingly positive response in this thread, and you're uncomfortable, don't go. There are plenty of other non-internet parties without livestreaming.

(Yes, I am aware I just threw the same advice that was thrown to me about beer pong. Which is fine, I just have a personal vendetta against beer pong :D )

S1lent said:
Since (from what I understand) there is only going to be one cam, couldn't the people who didn't want to be on the stream just hang out somewhere else?
That too. Apparently there are quite a few rooms in this place. Hell, we can even put it in one of the smaller rooms and make it the "webcam internet" room. Would that work?

S1lent

Since (from what I understand) there is only going to be one cam, couldn't the people who didn't want to be on the stream just hang out somewhere else?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Gilgamesh said:
I think you're ignoring the positive aspects of a live stream, such as murder deterrence.

:lol

jeffy_johnson said:
I got invited to some event via PM in Ottawa last year or something. I didn't respond because I was afraid.

Wtf, I didn't get invited. :(

paparazzo

salva said:
I'm biased since I live 1500 miles away and won't be able to attend, but I agree with Feep in that if you're afraid of what some people on a forum that you will never meet think of you, then you probably weren't going to have much fun anyway.

Feep said:
Why are you placing gaffers in Los Angeles on a different tier than people who live elsewhere? I'd sure love to watch if I couldn't make it. You're placing three or four socially awkward people in front of hundreds. We aren't going to make fools of ourselves. They're the same as us.

Honestly, deal with it. If livestreaming will happen, and it most likely will, due to the overwhelmingly positive response in this thread, and you're uncomfortable, don't go. There are plenty of other non-internet parties without livestreaming.

(Yes, I am aware I just threw the same advice that was thrown to me about beer pong. Which is fine, I just have a personal vendetta against beer pong :D )

That too. Apparently there are quite a few rooms in this place. Hell, we can even put it in one of the smaller rooms and make it the "webcam internet" room. Would that work?
Well I probably will end up going eitherways but I still think a livestream still alienates some people.

Edit: just one cam? Didn't know. That'll work then

Clydefrog

Feep said:

I'm good with this. I intend to stay away from the "live cam."

AVclub

Feep said:

This is a stupid argument. You don't have the right to see a party you can't attend. Over the course of my lifetime I've been invited to many parties and some of them I was unable to attend. Not once did I ask someone to put up a live feed or even video tape the party for me to view later.

It's a known fact that people behave differently in front of a camera. I would love to attend this party in Cali, but I'm on the East Coast and cannot. And while I recognize that I may be missing out on a great time, I wouldn't dream of jeopardizing that good time by asking those in attendance to be my video entertainment for the evening. It's selfish and rude.

pirata

Staccat0 said:
I lol'ed.
Someone should do this in Austin I would go.
No one wants to see my shitty apt so I can't host.

I've actually been thinking for a while that we should organize an Austin-area-Gaf get-together. I mean, there has to be quite a few gaffers around here, right? Unfortunately, I would not be able to host, since I live in a dorm, but I'm sure we can find somebody, right?

Feep

Banned
AVclub said:
This is a stupid argument. You don't have the right to see a party you can't attend. Over the course of my lifetime I've been invited to many parties and some of them I was unable to attend. Not once did I ask someone to put up a live feed or even video tape the party for me to view later.

It's a known fact that people behave differently in front of a camera. I would love to attend this party in Cali, but I'm on the East Coast and cannot. And while I recognize that I may be missing out on a great time, I wouldn't dream of jeopardizing that good time by asking those in attendance to be my video entertainment for the evening. It's selfish and rude.
Or you could try not being a dick.

This is not a regular fucking party. It's a party born from a message board on the internet. There are like two people who are not cool with it. Deal.

AVclub

Feep said:
Or you could try not being a dick.

This is not a regular fucking party. It's a party born from a message board on the internet. There are like two people who are not cool with it. Deal.
Who's being a dick? The selfish people who don't give a shit if the party is ruined, as long as they get their internet lulz or the ones trying to help the host avoid any potential pitfalls that will bring the party down?

Edit: Also this party isn't "born from a message board" it's born from a dude who had the balls to put himself out there. Look back at the first couple of pages of this thread and people just talking shit and trolling the guy before some started expressing interest. That trolling and shit talking is exactly what comments will look like on a live feed of a party that I'm sure is costing a bunch of time and money to put together. So fuck off with that "we have a right" bullshit. The truth is, people who want to see it streamed are looking for it to be a train wreck so they can make fun of it.

Feep

Banned
AVclub said:
Who's being a dick? The selfish people who don't give a shit if the party is ruined, as long as they get their internet lulz or the ones trying to help the host avoid any potential pitfalls that will bring the party down?
Well, you, for being a dick, and calling me selfish, rude, and stupid for no good reason.

THERE ARE TWO FUCKING PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT COOL WITH IT. Who haven't even spoken up in this thread, I might add. Those who are apprehensive are cool with just not interacting with the webcam. The party will be ruined? Who the fuck are you to claim that? Those of us actually going to the party are more than happy to set it up for the rest of GAF's viewing pleasure. Don't demonize us for trying to make sure those who couldn't make it have an enjoyable experience anyway.

I'd like to throw out my support for the livestreaming as well. If you have a problem with it then maybe you shouldn't even be going to parties.

Feep said:
Well, you, for being a dick, and calling me selfish, rude, and stupid for no good reason.

THERE ARE TWO FUCKING PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT COOL WITH IT. Who haven't even spoken up in this thread, I might add. Those who are apprehensive are cool with just not interacting with the webcam. The party will be ruined? Who the fuck are you to claim that? Those of us actually going to the party are more than happy to set it up for the rest of GAF's viewing pleasure. Don't demonize us for trying to make sure those who couldn't make it have an enjoyable experience anyway.
Who said only two people aren't going because of the live stream? Did they tell you. More than 3 people have told me.

And if I was to tell my friends and female friends that I'm inviting that the party will be live streamed on the Internet you can bet that they will think twice about going.

AVclub

salva said:
Who said only two people aren't going because of the live stream? Did they tell you. More than 3 people have told me.

And if I was to tell my friends and female friends that I'm inviting that the party will be live streamed on the Internet you can bet that they will think twice about going.
People on the internet like to make up numbers to support their point. You're absolutely right though.

I'm just saying, the host of the party should be doing whatever will make his guests more comfortable. People who cannot attend the party are NOT considered guests, no matter how much they want to be there.

Feep

Banned
salva said:

Well, you did, technically. You said "a couple of my friends".

Whatever. I think a vast minority of weirdly shy people are going to ruin the fun for hundreds, but I'm going to stop campaigning, because I'm actually going, and I don't want anyone to be annoyed with me that I'm actually going to meet in person.

Non-LA GAF, have fun campaigning.
AVclub said:
People who cannot attend the party are NOT considered guests, no matter how much they want to be there.
Tell that to Blizzard, charging forty dollars to go to "virtual Blizzcon" :lol :lol :lol

Feep said:
Well, you did, technically. You said "a couple of my friends".

Whatever. I think a vast minority of weirdly shy people are going to ruin the fun for hundreds, but I'm going to stop campaigning, because I'm actually going, and I don't want anyone to be annoyed with me that I'm actually going to meet in person.

Non-LA GAF, have fun campaigning.

Tell that to Blizzard, charging forty dollars to go to "virtual Blizzcon" :lol :lol :lol
Too late, motherfucker. Live stream or not, I will be beating the shit out of you for others to see, Internet people or not.

Jk <3

AVclub

How many house parties has anyone here attended that were sending live audio and video to the internet? Why is it "weirdly shy" to not want evidence of your drunken exploits broadcast for the world to see? I have a number of friends on Facebook who won't even post photos of themselves with a drink in their hand because of concerns over job-related repercussions from it.

More importantly, I can't see a single positive reason for the video feed. Do you really think people are going to be posting positive comments about it? They will do what they do with every other video; pick it apart, make silly gifs to ridicule it, or find some way to make a dumb meme from it. There is no good that can come from it. Nobody is going to sit at home and enjoy the party as if they were there.

salva said:

yo dawg i herd u liek partying with internet people so we put a webcam watched by internet people in yo party so you can party with internet people while u party with internet people

Cloudy

Banned
MiDNiGHTS said:
I'd like to throw out my support for the livestreaming as well. If you have a problem with it then maybe you shouldn't even be going to parties.

I probably wouldn't go even if I lived close enough but I'd personally be even less likely to go if there was a livestream. Why make some folks uncomfortable? Take pics or whatever for other gaffers to see but live streaming with a bunch of strangers seems like a bad idea :lol

AVclub said:
How many house parties has anyone here attended that were sending live audio and video to the internet? Why is it "weirdly shy" to not want evidence of your drunken exploits broadcast for the world to see? I have a number of friends on Facebook who won't even post photos of themselves with a drink in their hand because of concerns over job-related repercussions from it.

More importantly, I can't see a single positive reason for the video feed. Do you really think people are going to be posting positive comments about it? They will do what they do with every other video; pick it apart, make silly gifs to ridicule it, or find some way to make a dumb meme from it. There is no good that can come from it. Nobody is going to sit at home and enjoy the party as if they were there.

I was planning on making gifs from it so you got me there.

Feep

Banned
MiDNiGHTS said:
I was planning on making gifs from it so you got me there.
Real reason I was campaigning: I want a gif of me doing something awesome

I still think a special "webcam room" would solve all the problems. Just...don't go in there if you don't want to.

gibration

I honestly don't care about the live feed but if it's bothering some then why not just put it in a room were there wouldn't be much going on like one of the gaming rooms?

So is anyone down for some beer pong though? I can bring everything including beer but I am not sure about a table. It looks like a couple of people are bringing some friends who don't play video games much too so maybe it would be good idea to have them playing something like beer pong.

gibration said:
I honestly don't care about the live feed but if it's bothering some then why not just put it in a room were there wouldn't be much going on like one of the gaming rooms?

So is anyone down for some beer pong though? I can bring everything including beer but I am not sure about a table. It looks like a couple of people are bringing some friends who don't play video games much too so maybe it would be good idea to have them playing something like beer pong.
I like beer pong so bring it!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ATTENTION:

I see the topic of live-streaming has caused a bit of a debate, so I would like to set something straight before this unnecessarily gets out of hand.

The main room (living room) is the only room that will be live-streamed. The main room is connected to the kitchen, entrance, SSF4 room, upstairs balcony, and the stairs. It is also the room that will house Rock Band 2 on the big-screen. I have decided to put the Live Stream in this room because it will be the room with the most foot traffic and usually is the main place to hang while having parties here.

With that said... the DJ room (downstairs main area housing our GAF DJ where people can dance), the downstairs/upstairs balcony, the SSF4 room, and the kitchen WILL NOT BE LIVE STREAMED. So if you don't want to be on the live-stream, simply stay away from the main room. Or, for the attention seekers who want to do something GIF worthy (looking at you Feep :p ), do it in the main room, cause otherwise it probably will not be caught on tape.

As for Beer-Pong, Gibration if you are willing to bring the equipment then I am all for allowing it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom