• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Poll: Would you pay $150 for a DS?

Yes. At launch.

I get a LOT of play out of my SP and my GBPlayer. I know their ports but the Mario games are class and the metroids and cvs on that console makes it all worth it. Advance Wars and Fire Emblem rock. I believe the DS will get a heck of a lot of game and I have faith in the system. If anything; it'll help with my daily travel.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
maybe if they'd packed in wario ware instead of that awful metroid prime thing. i'll probably just stick with my gba for now.

Ristamar

At launch? I don't play my GBA enough as it is, so probably not, unless some of my friends pick one up and there are some decent multiplayer titles within the first month or two of its release.

Eventually? Yeah, I'll get one.

neptunes

I'm not sure yet, it's launch has to contain a killer app.

but I'm leaning towards not yet.

$150USD=$200CAD(rounded)

$200+tax = $230 CAD

I could buy a ps2 or xbox with that.

AniHawk

No. However, I'm counting on some Black Friday deals at places like Wal-Mart (like bundling of games or maybe a lower price [but then it wouldn't be $150 now would it?]). I'm not paying over $100 for any handheld.

neptunes said:
I'm not sure yet, it's launch has to contain a killer app.

but I'm leaning towards not yet.

$150USD=$200CAD(rounded)

$200+tax = $230 CAD

I could buy a ps2 or xbox with that.

Did you have to do the conversion and tax to figure that out?

Memles

neptunes said:
What are you talking about?

Well an XBox and PS2 are both already $150 US...so of course you could buy an XBox or PS2 with that.

It will be $199.99 Canadian, because that's what the XBox and PS2 are now.

lachesis

Well, 150 is a bit steep for what I'm expecting from DS. I'd say I would wait until the price comes down to at least 100, or unless there's a game I cannot live without. :)

in a word, no.

lachesis

Sweet Lord no. I have an eminently more portable and more rugged GBA SP whose performance won't tempt developers to mess about with subpar 3D.

FoneBone

Personally, I think the current lineup, at least in the way of first-party fare, is too action and multiplayer-centric. I want to see stuff like a good single-player Zelda, Mario RPG, and a traditional Metroid.

etiolate

Banned
No

My plan is to wait for the PSP launch, see the DS drop in price and then pick it up. Though I don't use my GBA all the time, I get the feeling wireless capability will have me using a DS more.

neptunes

Memles said:
Well an XBox and PS2 are both already $150 US...so of course you could buy an XBox or PS2 with that.

It will be $199.99 Canadian, because that's what the XBox and PS2 are now.

That was my point :/

PriceIsRightLogo.gif

No....I'm done with nintendo and thier 50,000,000 differnt color gameboys (one every few months) with a new one every year or 2. Yet Capcom is King of Milking?

olimario

Banned
Great Wasabi Man said:
No....I'm done with nintendo and thier 50,000,000 differnt color gameboys (one every few months) with a new one every year or 2. Yet Capcom is King of Milking?

You aren't required to purchase every new color. They all play the same games.
And no one was forced to make the leap to the SP. Just an option for those who wanted it.

And with backwards compatability through the years on GameBoy, it shouldn't really be a problem for any consumer.

Nintendo isn't forcing you to purchase everything they release.

Phoenix

No chance. I own a GBA SP and rarely touch it unless I'm travelling.

That and Nintendo is on my list for shafting me with the N64 and the gamecube (which is aptly named because there are no more than 6 games that I have wanted to play on it throughout its entire existence... new Zelda being the latest).

Yes, as long as they crank out new Zelda and Metroid.
I'd get a PSP if it were closer to the price of NDS. I'd never pay more than $150 for a handheld.

White Man

I will be there on launch day. . .if Smash Brothers ends up as a launch title. If not, I'll sit back and here reports on how decent the wireless stuff actually is before I commit.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Drinky Crow said:
I *wish* it was as good as the N64, and I've never really liked the N64 from a hardware perspective. The DS is just embarrassing.

??? There haven't been any games shown yet.

AniHawk

deadlifter said:
??? There haven't been any games shown yet.

There were E3 games. Besides that though, there's the Metroid demo which had a pic released for today.

I really hope we see more and better looking 2D games on the DS in addition to the 3D games we're looking to get plenty of.

Top Bottom