• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Poll: Would you pay $150 for a DS?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
AniHawk said:
There were E3 games. Besides that though, there's the Metroid demo which had a pic released for today.

I really hope we see more and better looking 2D games on the DS in addition to the 3D games we're looking to get plenty of.

exactly, the E3 games were mostly demos and nintendo hasn't revealed most of their offerings. That's why anyone should wait before they praise or denounce the DS.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Its hard to say if "games" have been shown already, because Nintendo stated at E3 that those displays were demo's only that "may" become product in the future. But I'm sure that next month Nintendo will finally start unveiling its own DS lineup.

Yes. $150 with Picto Chat and a Metroid demo sounds good. Unless Metroid is ready for launch. I'll probably preorder soon and get the system with one game on launch.

puck1337

It all depends on the games, but even if the software was horrible I would probably pick one up if the system has a decent homebrew scene.

Yes, and I'm going to trade in my SP to help pay for it. I don't play multiplayer with it, so the single player only feature is plenty for me....

Drinky Crow said:
I *wish* it was as good as the N64, and I've never really liked the N64 from a hardware perspective. The DS is just embarrassing.

Embarrassing is your devotion to troll anything Nintendo related..... if you compare the nintendo consoles with their portable ones you can see natural evolution of the Portable market:

nes--->Gameboy
Snes--->GBA
N64--->DS

the handheld market is for some reason one generation behind the home console market, and Nintendo probably knows this reason better than anyone( battery, price...?)
If Sony wants to change(try) that good but, you should know, if you're really a gamer or something, that better technology doesnt mean much in the portable market, specially when you put it above Battery comsunption, history usually repeats itself, heck if you have a GBA then i dont know why even wrote this...........

Mrbob said:
No. A dual screen portable N64 should only be $99.99 or less.
But what about a dual screen portable N64 with a touch screen, wireless play, Internet connectivity, larger cheaper games, and more third party support?

Brofist

Bluemercury said:
If Sony wants to change(try) that good but, you should know, if you're really a gamer or something, that better technology doesnt mean much in the portable market, specially when you put it above Battery comsunption, history usually repeats itself, heck if you have a GBA then i dont know why even wrote this...........

I think it's ok to have a company come in and try to buck the trend. The PSP entry will change the market, as Nintendo looks like they will try and push the DS as a low price alternative (something only competition would have made them do). I think it's a good thing that people will be able to walk in a store and have a high end (PSP) and a low end (DS) choice for handheld gaming.

DSN2K

beginning to see a pattern in the major DS haters here, most play xbox and more to the point were at E3. I knew when Sony came to making a handheld they would bring the graphics whores with them.

DeadStar said:
PSP isnt made by Microsoft :scratch
I know, it's made by Sony who made all those PS2's that were so well crafted that people ended up owning 2 or 3 of them in Japan when the first or second one failed....

Brofist

glennzilla69 said:
I know, it's made by Sony who made all those PS2's that were so well crafted that people ended up owning 2 or 3 of them in Japan when the first or second one failed....

your point? worried alot for someone who will never own it.

kpop100 said:
I think it's ok to have a company come in and try to buck the trend. The PSP entry will change the market, as Nintendo looks like they will try and push the DS as a low price alternative (something only competition would have made them do). I think it's a good thing that people will be able to walk in a store and have a high end (PSP) and a low end (DS) choice for handheld gaming.

DS a "low price alternative"? It's been in the works for years now. The DS has a touch screen, wireless play, internet connectivity, a mic.

Seriously, you'd have to be pretty blind not to see that the DS has a lot going for it, even if you're not perticularly interested in it. If it was just the "next GameBoy" with n64 graphics, I wouldn't give 2 sh!ts about it, but I am generaly excited about the possibilities the touch screen, the wireless play, the 2 screens and the mic bring to the table.
Already, Nintendo have done the best thing to draw me into buying it, which is make Animal Crossing for it (which is one of the best current games that could seriously benefit from all those new features). Mind me, I didn't play the Gamecube version for that long before dropping it, since I had other games to play on my consoles. But a portable AC will have me checking my town whenever I have a free moment.

Saying the DS is a low-price alternative to the PSP is ignorant. It offers different things that the PSP does not.

Anyway, to be short, yes, I am buying it.

Brofist

Date of Lies said:
DS a "low price alternative"? It's been in the works for years now. The DS has a touch screen, wireless play, internet connectivity, a mic.

Seriously, you'd have to be pretty blind not to see that the DS has a lot going for it, even if you're not perticularly interested in it. If it was just the "next GameBoy" with n64 graphics, I wouldn't give 2 sh!ts about it, but I am generaly excited about the possibilities the touch screen, the wireless play, the 2 screens and the mic bring to the table.
Already, Nintendo have done the best thing to draw me into buying it, which is make Animal Crossing for it (which is one of the best current games that could seriously benefit from all those new features). Mind me, I didn't play the Gamecube version for that long before dropping it, since I had other games to play on my consoles. But a portable AC will have me checking my town whenever I have a free moment.

Saying the DS is a low-price alternative to the PSP is ignorant. It offers different things that the PSP does not.

Anyway, to be short, yes, I am buying it.

You're looking too far into what I said. I didn't say it was a "low quality" alternative, I was strictly taking price into account...and that's all. The DS has a lot of things going for it to seperate it from the PSP...so I guess alternative was a bad choice of wording on my part...but again I only meant in price.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
If my predicition is correct, and the DS launches at $249.95 AUD in Australia I will not be buying it at launch. Built in Pictochat and a Hunters demo make it pretty damn tempting, but it's still too high for me and I will wait for the first price drop. I also want to wait and see how things pan out with the wireless capabilities and how the DS is adopted in Australia... not much point getting a DS for great wireless features with no one to play with, is there?

edit:
Drinky Crow said:
I *wish* it was as good as the N64, and I've never really liked the N64 from a hardware perspective. The DS is just embarrassing.
"Oh, it's the second Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, who hadn't such a small voice.

"Now I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.

"Oh, no! Don't take me. Wait a little till the big Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Very well! Be off with you," said the troll.

But just then up came the big Billy Goat Gruff .

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap! went the bridge, for the billy goat was so heavy that the bridge creaked and groaned under him.

"Who's that tramping over my bridge?" roared the troll.

"It's I! The big Billy Goat Gruff ," said the billy goat, who had an ugly hoarse voice of his own.

"Now I 'm coming to gobble you up," roared the troll.

Well, come along! I've got two spears,
And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;
I've got besides two curling-stones,
And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones.

That was what the big billy goat said. And then he flew at the troll, and poked his eyes out with his horns, and crushed him to bits, body and bones, and tossed him out into the cascade, and after that he went up to the hillside. There the billy goats got so fat they were scarcely able to walk home again. And if the fat hasn't fallen off them, why, they're still fat; and so,

Snip, snap, snout.
This tale's told out.

;P

ourumov

NO.
If the Goemon DS is made by KCEO old staff then without hesitation I will purchase one...So far only one game interests me and nothing is known about it...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yes I'll buy it, along with all Nintendo's first-party games and the surgery game.

I expect it to be initially lots of fun and launch with a big splash. That said, I do not buy it expecting the thing to be supported for years to come. Once the novelty wears off, I'm done with it, and so is probably the market.

Top Bottom