• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Necrovex

Maybe someone can help me here. I've been getting back into running for the last few weeks. For a while, I was seeing noticeable improvements, such as running for 2.5 miles without stopping.

However this past week has been horrible. The side stitches are acting up before even hitting a mile. I have gotten minor pains before, but I have been able to endure them; these recent pains have hit me like a bloody train. I slacked a few days (like no running for three days) when I was at my peak, but this effects shouldn't be this extreme. Does anyone have any theories of why this would happen?

Maybe someone can help me here. I've been getting back into running for the last few weeks. For a while, I was seeing noticeable improvements, such as running for 2.5 miles without stopping.

However this past week has been horrible. The side stitches are acting up before even hitting a mile. I have gotten minor pains before, but I have been able to endure them; these recent pains have hit me like a bloody train. I slacked a few days (like no running for three days) when I was at my peak, but this effects shouldn't be this extreme. Does anyone have any theories of why this would happen?

Do you do any warm up or just start running at your normal pace? I would try a gentle 5 minute warm-up, (fast walking, slow jogging) also try work on your core strength between running. Sit-ups, press-ups etc. I've only ever got stitches in the past when I've not been working on core strength or ran with a bad posture.

edbrat

Hey guys. I started running for the first time over the summer and went from never running before in my life to being able to do a 5K in around 28 minutes. The thing is now it's getting colder and I'm not a fan of running in the gym, so I'd still like to do it outside. Do any of you guys/gals have any advice for running in the cold? I'm pretty clueless honestly.

depending on how cold we're talking you should check out base layers, a beanie and gloves. If freezing, check out a buff or scarf to cover your mouth when you breath. There is no such thing as too cold, there is just underdressed.

edbrat

are you going too fast at the start of your run? Run slower longer. I generally consider the first mile if not the first two as warm up before starting workouts / hitting goal pace.

Zoe

Has it suddenly gotten colder where you are? Are you breathing in through your nose, out through your mouth?

Necrovex

Do you do any warm up or just start running at your normal pace? I would try a gentle 5 minute warm-up, (fast walking, slow jogging) also try work on your core strength between running. Sit-ups, press-ups etc. I've only ever got stitches in the past when I've not been working on core strength or ran with a bad posture.

I work on my core a decent amount. Sit ups are always part of my workout routines, and I throw in a little extra core stuff.

are you going too fast at the start of your run? Run slower longer. I generally consider the first mile if not the first two as warm up before starting workouts / hitting goal pace.

I don't believe I run fast in the beginning. A nice jogging pace is what I usually keep. Though I'll take your advice for future runs.

Has it suddenly gotten colder where you are? Are you breathing in through your nose, out through your mouth?

Florida has been encountering some colder air over the past few weeks.

I try to breathe through both mouth and nose as I run. Should I only breathe in through my nose and out with my mouth?

Zoe

Florida has been encountering some colder air over the past few weeks.

I try to breathe through both mouth and nose as I run. Should I only breathe in through my nose and out with my mouth?

Breathing in through the nose warms up and filters the air more before it reaches your lungs.

andthebeatgoeson

You may have to take a break. I've been running since June and the best I can tell you is to vary the days, distance and intensity. I use the Runkeeper app and they have training programs. The best thing about them is the variable distance, intensity. You need a recovery day in between hard runs. You may even need a few extra days this week to recover. One thing to keep in mind, your interest may vary. That's the week you want to run only once or twice with the idea that you will hit it again.

Plenty of times, I've gone out for a 4 or 5 mile run and just said fuck it after 2 miles and either walked the rest of the way or shortened the route. Your body will tell you when to back off (for me, knee pain) and when it's time to push it (barely winded while hitting 7 minute miles). Listen to those cues. Actual pain that lingers means take an extra day off. No interest? Just do a short 1 or 2 mile jog. Make sure you do easy running as well as hard. And the improvements will come.

I started off, training for a 5K, then a 10K. Already have done a 5K and I'm working on my 10K. I've learned a few things: the improvements come faster. I couldn't even get past 2 miles without wanting to walk. I banged out 6 miles this past sunday. I couldn't get under 12-13 minute miles. Now, I'm under 10 minutes a mile. That was just the initial training. I'm going to have a harder time making more improvements. Now, I just want to knock off 30 seconds. You have to readjust your expectations.

Sorry bit late, just stumbled across this thread. I had microfracture about 18 months ago. I've ran 2 marathons since. If you're patient & keep the weight of your knee for long enough then you can make a full recovery. Lost a lot of muscle mass in my leg though. Any questions, let me know.

Thanks for your answer, this makes me feel much better. If you don't mind my asking, how big was your defect and where was it located?

I had my surgery about 3 months ago, my defect was relatively small so they have been accelerating my rehab a little faster than normal. I run on a D1 collegiate track team, and it's my senior year, so it would be great to be back in time for the outdoor season. Just worried about screwing everything up and having to get a knee replacement when I'm 30.

Thanks for your answer, this makes me feel much better. If you don't mind my asking, how big was your defect and where was it located?

I had my surgery about 3 months ago, my defect was relatively small so they have been accelerating my rehab a little faster than normal. I run on a D1 collegiate track team, and it's my senior year, so it would be great to be back in time for the outdoor season. Just worried about screwing everything up and having to get a knee replacement when I'm 30.

I had articular cartilage damage to my right knee, it was quite severe as it was down to the bone, like a wedge shape that had come away. Don't know why it happened, was just out running one day and felt it (and heard it) pop. I'd never heard of micro-fracture but the consultant recommended it and he's worked with a few footballers.

I think I kept weight off it totally for 8 weeks and didn't run for around 6 months after that. Op was in Feb' 12 and I was doing the London marathon in Apr'13 (slower then usual but ok). You should be fine for training in the new year.

I just wish I'd worked harder on getting my muscle mass back in my leg quicker as it's still down on size compared to my left leg. Still a little pain in the knee now and again but nothing that bad.

Necrovex

I kept forgetting to post this, but now I have remembered. I went running again on Wednesday, and I was able to succeed for jogging for 25 minutes. Next week is the end of the Couch to 5K program, so let's see if I succeed. I followed some of the advice here, and it has been useful!

Zoe

Man, a lot of cold air + intense sun going on!

I'm conflicted on what to do when the time changes. It will be dark after work with lots of cars on the road versus dark before work with temps in the 40's/50's.

caesar

Banned
Anyone know any good guides for getting my 5K under 20mins? I'm stuck on like 20.30 right now.

I mean I could destroy myself and get like 19 probably but I'd rather build up gradually.

Man, you guys and your 5Ks under 25. I can run decently long distances (8-10 miles) but I can't run them faster than a 10 minute pace, and my 5k pace usually sits at around 9 minutes

caesar

Banned
Man, you guys and your 5Ks under 25. I can run decently long distances (8-10 miles) but I can't run them faster than a 10 minute pace, and my 5k pace usually sits at around 9 minutes

Do hill sprints to get your quads up, makes it alot easier to get that bounce when your start faltering.

I ran my first half marathon today. probably wasn't the smartest idea since this past week i ran a total of 2 miles and the largest distance i ran before today was a 10k. finished in 1:49:51.

I was taking a break since my foot would ache in a certain spot after i finished my run past few weeks. I'm pretty sure i need new shoes but sucks since i just spent $130 on these free flyknits 2 months ago

I did end up changing my stride today though to put more pressure on my heels. I ended the run without pain in my feet but my hammys are aching a tiny bit. Not going to lie it felt good hitting my physical limit. ran miles 1-9 at around 8 min pace and 10-13 at around 9 min pace.

Can get back to other my goals of sub 20 5k and sub 45 10k.

Do hill sprints to get your quads up, makes it alot easier to get that bounce when your start faltering.

What should my routine be starting out? Unless you mean mixing in hill sprints with my regular runs (which is pretty tough, I live in an extremely flat area for miles, but I wouldn't mind driving to a place to do it or running stairs or something).

I ran my first half marathon today. probably wasn't the smartest idea since this past week i ran a total of 2 miles and the largest distance i ran before today was a 10k. finished in 1:49:51.

I was taking a break since my foot would ache in a certain spot after i finished my run past few weeks. I'm pretty sure i need new shoes but sucks since i just spent $130 on these free flyknits 2 months ago

I did end up changing my stride today though to put more pressure on my heels. I ended the run without pain in my feet but my hammys are aching a tiny bit. Not going to lie it felt good hitting my physical limit. ran miles 1-9 at around 8 min pace and 10-13 at around 9 min pace.

Can get back to other my goals of sub 20 5k and sub 45 10k.
Congrats. 1:49 is impressive since you've never gone over 10k!!

Wubby

Anyone ever sprain their ankle before? How long before you could run again?

Last August I had a nasty fall off a cliff which left me with a pretty bad ankle sprain. X-ray and MRI showed nothing broken in my ankle (ribs/elbow was a different story...). Still a bit swollen a few months later now but definitely better. Only thing that hasn't really healed. But I want to start running again. I've tried a little but if I step at just the wrong angle it hurts.

I'd like to run a marathon in exactly 3 months time.

I'm just coming off a half ironman, so my training has been focused on 3 sports, but it obviously included a half marathon.

Do you guys think this is reasonable?

I had ACL reconstruction 3 months ago. My doctor will likely clear me to start jogging on a treadmill again this week. I had to cancel my entire triathlon/running season when I tore it 4 months ago. Looking forward to hitting the pavement again.

I just been working on my mile times since i'm still letting my foot fully recover. got my mile down to 5:59. I'm anxious to get it down to 5:30ish but i don't want to push my foot fully sprinting yet.

Decided to run the nyc marathon next year if i'm able to find a charity to run for since i'm too late for the NYRR 9+1 program for guaranteed entry. i'm debating whether to start marathon training in December or just wait till the summer. Goal time is between 3:30:00 and 4. Think its reasonable since i didn't really struggle with 8 min pace on my first half. I just need more endurance.

Necrovex

When I finally complete the C25K Program, I'll begin to look at running my first 5K marathon. One of my goals this year was to finally complete that program and be able to run for three miles. Certainly possibly that I will achieve this before the year is over. Those side stitches just have to stay away for me to succeed.

When I finally complete the C25K Program, I'll begin to look at running my first 5K marathon. One of my goals this year was to finally complete that program and be able to run for three miles. Certainly possibly that I will achieve this before the year is over. Those side stitches just have to stay away for me to succeed.

the first 5k race i did in october i caught really nasty side stitch halfway through the second mile. i was doing a reasonable job keeping pace with the guys from the running groups though lol. after i started stretching my abs and lower back pre run i haven't gotten side stitch again.

Necrovex

the first 5k race i did in october i caught really nasty side stitch halfway through the second mile. i was doing a reasonable job keeping pace with the guys from the running groups though lol. after i started stretching my abs and lower back pre run i haven't gotten side stitch again.

I might have to try that. What are some ideal stretches for the core and lower back?

I might have to try that. What are some ideal stretches for the core and lower back?

I do hands interlocked above my head and in front of my chest. Pretty much simple stretches i did pre run when i was in the army. From what i read side stitch could also be something with your breathing/endurance.

Necrovex

I do hands interlocked above my head and in front of my chest. Pretty much simple stretches i did pre run when i was in the army. From what i read side stitch could also be something with your breathing/endurance.

I'll try these before my run later in the evening. If I can avoid the problem of side stitching, then running becomes a vastly easier task. My legs are strong enough to run for long distances.

njean777

Wow I didn't even know we had a runners thread. Been running for the last 6 years. Although for the last year I have been stuck to the elliptical due to knee problems. I use to weigh 330lbs and eventually got down to 150 but with school and stress recently, my weight went up to about 200 now. Been changing up my diet though and I believe I have lost some weight since my last weigh in. I love running but I just want to advise anybody that is overweight and just starting to take it easy. I screwed my knees up by running to much and now can only run traditionally a couple of times a month.

Linius

Same here, I have been searching for a thread like this because I recently started doing 5K runs. I should do it more regularly though but at least I'm doing something :p

Will keep my eye on this thread and read some old posts.

Necrovex

Finally made a dent in my C25K goal. I accomplished the 28-minute run. I only have two sessions to complete, and I will meet my New Year's goal of running for three miles. The pre-run stretches were useful. Thanks for the advice, Running-Gaf!

caesar

Banned
Anyone know any good guides for getting my 5K under 20mins? I'm stuck on like 20.30 right now.

I mean I could destroy myself and get like 19 probably but I'd rather build up gradually.

I just went ham last night and got 19.20, I know before I said I'd rather build it up gradually but oh well.

Linius

I started running not too long ago and did five 5K runs and got to 28 minutes so far. I should really try to go more often though. I'm slacking here and there :p

AxeMan

Just started running after about 3 months off.

I'm not a fantastic runner and before I stopped my PR was 5.1k in just under 29 minutes.
I've had 3 runs over the week and a bit and I just completed a full 5k run in 32 minutes.

I've got a lot to make up for.

Anyone have any thoughts on a running GPS watch?
I've currently got a Nike + thing, lets me see my speed and averages etc but I've been looking at the Garmin 620.
Does anyone have any recommendations? ones to stay away from?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ran 4.12 miles in 37 minutes. Run keeper said it was a 9min 35sec average. Pretty dope.

Ran an off-road 10k at the weekend - the first in a series of four. The medals fit together to make a local landmark, which is pretty cool!

My actual time wasn't very impressive (the course was fairly tough - mud, hills, kissing gates and a couple of stiles), but I came 44th out of 149 in my category, so that'll do.

Anyone run on the beach regularly?

How much harder is it? I'm trying to elevate my runs and just thinking. I run a steady 7 miles at 5 mph 3-5 times a week, without getting tired.

Linius

So after three weeks of slacking I finally did another run today. Was quite the tough one for me this time but I pulled trough nicely. Will post my schedule from the last run before this one and my run from today. I'm still improving :D

xbxZp5h.png

Dx4fN21.png

It's a bit weird that I did the same run but ran 200 meters further. Must have been taking some wide corners I guess :p

I'll take the 5K mark under 25 minutes anyways.

Necrovex

Completed my New Year's Resolution today: I completed the Couch-to-5K program. I am able to run a full three miles without stopping now. I feel wonderful!

Now I have to focus on my speed.

Finished an 8k time trial on my own and got a 27:32. Pretty good for doing it solo but its not where I wanted to be at this time. My season is over and I'll probably just do some maintenance running until New Year's and start back up for the 5k's in the spring. I'm hoping that I don't get tendinitis in my knee again.

Gawge

Hi GAF, I got a pretty good time (for me) this morning, running 3.61 miles in 30:20. Going that kind of distance under 8:30 per mile is good for me at the moment. The 5k came in 26 minutes.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

I have been running, on and off, for a couple of years now. I started (and mainly ran) in a place which is completely flat, and now for the past few months have had my first proper extended period in a hilly area. It seems like I am finally using the hills, and getting used to them - to the point where now I feel like I may struggle when returning home in a few weeks, and having a completely flat run.

This graph seems to show fairly well the slope that I use. (Normally there would be a final climb, but I quit at the bottom, after adding about 0.5mile onto my run in the middle).

2EYSgS0.png

So, I make a pretty big use of that continual downward slope for the tough middle part. Will I struggle once I get back to a completely flat run?

Also - I have been pretty lucky so far, that there hasn't really been any icy mornings when I wanted to run. I expect plenty on the way though - is there any tips for still running, or is it just a matter of no running until the ice clears?

kottila

Also - I have been pretty lucky so far, that there hasn't really been any icy mornings when I wanted to run. I expect plenty on the way though - is there any tips for still running, or is it just a matter of no running until the ice clears?

Either go to a store that can put studs in an old pair of shoes or get some removable ice grips like these: https://www.yaktrax.com/

(or just look at ice running as a great core muscle workout)

Top Bottom