• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Kajigger

*grabs a chair*

So yeah, I started running two weeks ago. I always wanted to increase my overall cardiovascular health and stamina and preferred a low-barrier-to-entry solitary way to stay active and get fit.

Got myself a pair of decent shoes and the Runkeeper app and started with the 5K program. 4 runs a week, for beginners.
I'm proud to say that it's actually going great. Followed all the routines and even managed to exceed my expectations.
The apps like Runkeeper are definitely a great motivation to go running. I love to check out the route and split times on the PC after a good run.

I had my first "fast" interval training two days ago and i'm sad to say I went a little too far.
I was anxious to start running after the 5 minute warm-up walk and when the lady in my earbuds told me to go "fast" for the next 90 seconds, I did.

So yeah, shin splints fucked me over something fierce. I did finish my routine that day but I knew after the first interval that I fucked it up and went too fast too quickly.
Instead of my scheduled 3km run today I cycled for 15km because my left leg makes actual running a bad idea right now.

So, my case of shin splints isn't that bad, how long will it take to heal for you guys usually? Is three days of relative rest enough for me to continue my program running normally again? I felt really bad for skipping my usual run today but I figured running on a painful leg can only fuck things up worse.

I'm not a seasoned runner, however I just finished recovering after I had shin splints, which turned into something more severe, due to lack of rest. My left foot started hurting months ago. The pain varied, however I am a determined person (also, I had no idea what shin splints or Achilles tendinitis was), so I either pushed through or sort of switched most of the weight to my other foot. This was the worse thing I could have done. Then, my right foot started to hurt. I kept running anyway. Then while walking to a class I had (which was uphill), I experienced a pain like no other. I felt like the very fibers holding my foot attached to my leg were about to rip out of place. I almost fell to the ground. I sat down for about 15 minutes, until the pain went away. I then proceeded to rest for months.

Long story short, don't take this lightly. I was an idiot for not even looking up what the pain meant. Just ice for about a week and see how it goes.

Ydahs

First run in five months after a recurring leg injury. Only managed 5kms, but it sure feels good to be out running again :)

Ran in the morning on an empty stomach, which will hopefully help me lose some of the fat I've put on these last few months. I don't really care about the weight loss though, I just want to feel good again.

I'll keep on running 5kms the next few weeks, just to ease myself into it. Might run twice a week and if I have the time, I'll head to a nearby footy oval and do some sprints.

*grabs a chair*

So yeah, I started running two weeks ago. I always wanted to increase my overall cardiovascular health and stamina and preferred a low-barrier-to-entry solitary way to stay active and get fit.

Got myself a pair of decent shoes and the Runkeeper app and started with the 5K program. 4 runs a week, for beginners.
I'm proud to say that it's actually going great. Followed all the routines and even managed to exceed my expectations.
The apps like Runkeeper are definitely a great motivation to go running. I love to check out the route and split times on the PC after a good run.

I had my first "fast" interval training two days ago and i'm sad to say I went a little too far.
I was anxious to start running after the 5 minute warm-up walk and when the lady in my earbuds told me to go "fast" for the next 90 seconds, I did.

So yeah, shin splints fucked me over something fierce. I did finish my routine that day but I knew after the first interval that I fucked it up and went too fast too quickly.
Instead of my scheduled 3km run today I cycled for 15km because my left leg makes actual running a bad idea right now.

So, my case of shin splints isn't that bad, how long will it take to heal for you guys usually? Is three days of relative rest enough for me to continue my program running normally again? I felt really bad for skipping my usual run today but I figured running on a painful leg can only fuck things up worse.
The recurring leg injury I mentioned above is shin splints. I ignored it because it was fine after a day or two of resting, I thought I could manage it. I was wrooooong. I took two weeks off two months after trying to manage it and I thought it was fine. Nope. Came back. Took another two weeks off. Nope. Came back.

The one to two days of pain went up to three or four before it became unbearable to even walk for weeks on end. Even though the xrays showed nothing, my trainer said that it might have turned into a hairline fracture. Spent the next six months with no serious physical activity at all.

It's now eighteen months since I first had the injury. It still doesn't feel 100% only because I ignored the pain and tried to push through. Take a month off or see a physio. Do not take this injury lightly.

Hari Seldon

Any recommendations on treadmills around 1k?

I'm looking at the LifeSpan TR 1200i Folding Treadmill.

The reviews are great, but it seems sort of underpowered compared to the Sole one in the same price range. However, it goes up to 11 mph (for the max weight or what?). I'm kind of nervous that the reviews are just a bunch of walkers mucking up the reviews lol.

Dunlop

Tomorrow will be my last session for my couch to 5k routine.

I definitely recommend to anyone debating on trying it out. Week one I was comically bad with how out of shape I had become.

Anyone used the 5k to 10k version? I'm on the wall if I should just do 5k runsfor a while or continue to press myself .

This is the C25k mobile app version as I believe there are others

edit: I meant it is the one from ACTIVE

Cheech

Ran in the morning on an empty stomach, which will hopefully help me lose some of the fat I've put on these last few months. I don't really care about the weight loss though, I just want to feel good again.

What are you eating after your run? You will want to eat something like a banana + cup of greek yogurt right after. Otherwise, you're going to go into starvation mode and not lose anything.

I run on an empty stomach too, BTW. Just some water before heading out. It's the best way I've found to avoid things like side stitches and feeling sick.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Went to the track yesterday with the goal of running 2 miles straight. I jogged nice and slow and after 2 miles I was feeling pretty good so I decided to keep going. I hit 2.5 and then said to myself, "I'm too close to that 5k mark to stop now!" and so I chugged all the way through to 3.1 miles and completed the 5k. I was pretty fucking excited to say the least. I'm really pleased with how I was able to pace myself throughout the run. I didn't start out too fast and then taper off. I did it in 34 minutes.

I was cramping pretty hard at the end of it and then for the rest of the night. I'm feeling better this morning though. Definitely not going to do any exercise today. I'm pretty confident now however that I'll be able to complete that 5k that I've been training for that is on September 8th.

thcsquad

Why isn't this thread more active? There must be more runners than this.

I've been running on and off for a couple of years. Just did a 5k in 26:02, a new PR. The third mile was 8:02, which I'm super proud of. I also just finished a Sprint Triathlon last weekend, which was a huge win for me as I am *not* a swimmer.

Although I do run a lot of 5ks just because they're fun, I'm actually training for a marathon in January. The Disney one in January. So far my training has gotten me up to six miles (10 minute pace), which actually wasn't too bad. I could have gone longer, but didn't want to mess up my legs. Next long run will be 7 or 7.5.

Why isn't this thread more active? There must be more runners than this.

I've been running on and off for a couple of years. Just did a 5k in 26:02, a new PR. The third mile was 8:02, which I'm super proud of. I also just finished a Sprint Triathlon last weekend, which was a huge win for me as I am *not* a swimmer.

Although I do run a lot of 5ks just because they're fun, I'm actually training for a marathon in January. The Disney one in January. So far my training has gotten me up to six miles (10 minute pace), which actually wasn't too bad. I could have gone longer, but didn't want to mess up my legs. Next long run will be 7 or 7.5.

Well done on the tri! Awesome stuff! Swimming is definitely my weak point too - it'll take a LOT of work to improve it. Bah. I suck.

Ran 14 miles this afternoon - it was a social run with friends of varying abilities so I didn't bother timing/mapping it, but it felt good! Time to start tapering for the Bristol half marathon soon. Hoping for under 1.55.35.

I'd love to do a marathon next year, but I can't help thinking it'll be tough funding time for the long runs. Hmm...

Necrovex

Man, I'm envious of some of you chaps. I can barely run a two miles without nearing death. Though, it is far better than how I used to be when I suffered after a mile run.

I miss running. My shin splints have ruined running for me for over a year.. I don't think I will ever recoup from this.. all because of a new pair of running shoes:(

Man, I'm envious of some of you chaps. I can barely run a two miles without nearing death. Though, it is far better than how I used to be when I suffered after a mile run.

Tell me about it! I look at the long-distance runners in my town, and am very envious of them. But, at least I am putting more effort into this than I did a year ago, when I got winded going up 2 flights of stairs, or even playing with my kids. Now, I still can't complete a full mile without stopping, but I find it much more enjoyable now.

Just started week 5 of the Couch-to-5k, and am aiming to complete my first 5k by November (and my 40th!).

Oh, and speaking of this thread not being active...I just think I have anything to offer this group, as you all are light years ahead of me, but you do provide me hope and motivation, so thank you!!

Ydahs

Had the worst stitch of my life yesterday. Completely blitzed through the first three kilometres and I was feeling great, then it hit and I couldn't run at all.

Deep breathes always relieved my stitches, but not this time. It lasted for the remainder of the jog and I had to walk for over seven minutes before it began to improve even in the slightest.

Main concern? There's still some slight pain in the region today, which has never happened before :/

Zoe

Man, I took a couple of weeks off to let my foot rest, and now it's too dark to jog before work :\. Should I just put on some bright clothes and suck it up?

Hindle

Banned
Running uphill on a windy day is so rewarding when you reach the top. Anyone else been doing any fell running lately? I'd recommend it to anyone.

warthog

Man, I took a couple of weeks off to let my foot rest, and now it's too dark to jog before work :\. Should I just put on some bright clothes and suck it up?

It will always be too cold, too rainy, too dark, ... When you want to make an habit of running, yeah, suck it up :)
Sometimes I use a headlamp for running in the dark.

@Hindle. Yes, it's tough, but rewarding. I'm a wimp in that way; I almost always run on a very flat track. But there aren't many hills around here anyway.

Broke a couple of pbs in the past week.
My usual run is between 6kms and 8kms depending on how much time I have available to me so I thought I'd try just a 5km and go as flat out as I could. Managed to do a 19:33 which I was stoked with (about 15 seconds faster than my previous pb).

A couple of runs later and I had enough time to do my 8km circuit and there was a fair amount of wind on the first half and obviously it was behind on the back half. Anyway when I stopped I somehow managed a 3:15 uphill on the last 1km. Really confused by that one as it's about 18 seconds faster than my previous 1km pb and my pace was about 4:15 per km over the whole run.

It great in the morning. My Saturday ritual is 10-12mile circuit at about 5:30am. No ones around , no traffic,nada. It is very peaceful and a welcome break from my regular weekday runs in Austin where it can be anywhere from 90 to 100 degrees.

thefro

Did my first official 5k today in 31:11... had to stop and walk a bit 3-4 times since my cousin who was running with me started out way too fast (he finished about a minute behind me).

Doing another one in 3 weeks and I'm going to try to go for sub-30 minutes.

Any college gaffers in cross country (Division 3, and/or 2)? My team and I are competing at the UCR 8k invite next Saturday, just wanted to know if anyone here will be there.

I haven't been in the thread here for awhile, but I just wanted to share my progress. Specifically, I ran the Lehigh Valley Marathon on Sunday and finished with an 8 minute PR of 3:19:00. I had hoped for at least a sub-3:15, or even a possible BQ, but I'll take what I can get. Had a solid, injury-free training cycle for the first time in pretty much ever.

Looking at either Philly or Richmond for my next marathon this year. I feel pretty confident that I can at least PR if I return to the latter.

deadlast

I ran terrible last night. I was pushing a stroller and ate an hour before. But still i was dogging it. This morn I'm going to hit the treadmill.

Anyone else have a shitty run lately.

Also,my lower back has been killing me. But I feel great while running.

I ran terrible last night. I was pushing a stroller and ate an hour before. But still i was dogging it. This morn I'm going to hit the treadmill.

Anyone else have a shitty run lately.

Also,my lower back has been killing me. But I feel great while running.

Time to replace your everyday shoes?

oti

Banned
I'm currently progressing through the C25K program. I'm now at W5 R3. Yeah, THAT run. 20 minutes straight without walking in between. I never liked running, but over the last few months I wanted to try it out. It's easy, it's convenient and it's cheap. I downloaded a free App on my iPhone a few weeks back and just... started. What surprised me most over time is, running is addictive.

I'm currently progressing through the C25K program. I'm now at W5 R3. Yeah, THAT run. 20 minutes straight without walking in between. I never liked running, but over the last few months I wanted to try it out. It's easy, it's convenient and it's cheap. I downloaded a free App on my iPhone a few weeks back and just... started. What surprised me most over time is, running is addictive.

Let us know how that goes! Ive been doing the day before for a week, trying to get my body ready for it. :D

Zoe

For those of you who jog in the rain, do you wear anything special or go out in your regular gear?

oti

Banned
Let us know how that goes! Ive been doing the day before for a week, trying to get my body ready for it. :D

I finished THAT run today. It went unexpected, to say the least. After some serious thinking time about when to start, where to run and so on, I finally just hit the road to a forest, launched Runkeeper, Nike+, Spotify and started running. Slowly. Really slowly. After about 7 minutes maybe I felt a slight stitch in the side, but nothing serious. Then a switch inside me just flipped and I was in total Zen mode, while listening to music and not caring about the program or anything else.

When I reached the end of the forest (it's a small forest here) I wanted to take a look at the time on my iPhone and BAM, I already finished the 20 minutes and was halfway through my cool down. My iPhone was on mute the whole time so I didn't get the audio cues. Shyamalan twist right there (not really).

For the program itself, I never repeated a day. I had to pause it for a week to go to gamescom, but other than that I'm following the program without any alteration. Which is to say that I could be smarter about this, but I'm not. :)

You can do it biggyfries, I'm sure you can!

For those of you who jog in the rain, do you wear anything special or go out in your regular gear?

I've got a showerproof jacket, but it's too much unless it's a really cold day. My cap has a waterproof brim that keeps the rain off my face, and the rest of me just gets wet.

Holy crap, great job! Glad to hear you got to "zen mode", haha! That small forest sounds awesome, too; so jealous of the scenery!

I've been having trouble completing the 8-min runs without stopping, so I'm thinking about changing my route to something less hilly, so I might do that Monday.

Speaking of weather preparations, what does everyone else do about the winter/snow months? Do you have different shoes for that? Run inside (not really a choice for me)? Find a track? This will be my first winter for running, so just want to be prepared. :)

Running my third marathon in 8 days. What sort of items should I carry in my fanny pack for energy and to avoid cramps as best as possible?

turnbuckle

Running my first half marathon this Sunday. I haven't done any 5 or 10ks before so I'm going in a bit raw.

I'm not sure what time to expect. I've been training pretty regularly for the last 4-5 months but I've had some setbacks caused by running in shoes that were too small and some hip/knee issues. If I weren't having some of these random issues I think I'd be looking at about a 1:50 time +- 5 minutes. As it stands I'm really just hoping my body holds up long enough to finish. I don't even care if it takes me 2 and a half hours and I have to crawl part of the way.

The best thing I've done during taper week to prepare for my race is to sign up for my next one. I've been getting pretty down about all these aches and old man pains stalling and reversing some of my progress, but I know that this first race isn't my last race. The first goal is to cross the finish line; the next is to improve upon the time I set in it.

Other than body soreness, I would guess my main concern is how to stay hydrated and have energy to complete the half. About 70% of my longer runs have been in the friendly confines of a gym where I could hydrate and take a piss when needed. I've never used any of those sports gels or sports drinks before but my other friends I've trained with and who are also doing the race are telling me I definitely should.

I was having a rough time in my life before I started training. A combination of things got me to let myself go to the point where I was tipping the scales at 226 lbs (I'm 6'1"). This week I hopped on the scale and it told me I was 189.1 lbs. I've definitely lost a bit of muscle in the upper body since I've been more focused on running than lifting, but outside of joint/hip pain I'm feeling as healthy as I've ever felt.

Looking forward to this. Wish me luck!

Running my first half marathon this Sunday. I haven't done any 5 or 10ks before so I'm going in a bit raw.

I'm not sure what time to expect. I've been training pretty regularly for the last 4-5 months but I've had some setbacks caused by running in shoes that were too small and some hip/knee issues. If I weren't having some of these random issues I think I'd be looking at about a 1:50 time +- 5 minutes. As it stands I'm really just hoping my body holds up long enough to finish. I don't even care if it takes me 2 and a half hours and I have to crawl part of the way.

The best thing I've done during taper week to prepare for my race is to sign up for my next one. I've been getting pretty down about all these aches and old man pains stalling and reversing some of my progress, but I know that this first race isn't my last race. The first goal is to cross the finish line; the next is to improve upon the time I set in it.

Other than body soreness, I would guess my main concern is how to stay hydrated and have energy to complete the half. About 70% of my longer runs have been in the friendly confines of a gym where I could hydrate and take a piss when needed. I've never used any of those sports gels or sports drinks before but my other friends I've trained with and who are also doing the race are telling me I definitely should.

I was having a rough time in my life before I started training. A combination of things got me to let myself go to the point where I was tipping the scales at 226 lbs (I'm 6'1"). This week I hopped on the scale and it told me I was 189.1 lbs. I've definitely lost a bit of muscle in the upper body since I've been more focused on running than lifting, but outside of joint/hip pain I'm feeling as healthy as I've ever felt.

There's a school of thought that says that hydration is overrated and I've kind of found it to be true. This time of year, temps are cool and you'll not be sweating as much (not sure where your race is, though). Just drink every so often at aid stations and you'll be fine. Personally I'd rather be a bit under hydrated than the opposite. Less weight to carry, less sloshing in my stomach, just feel lighter. You'll have plenty of opportunity to drink right after the race is finished.

If you've been training regularly I really think that you don't have that much to worry about with a half. Same with hydration. If you are not going for elite times I don't think that you'll have issues with finishing and just nab some water on the course and you'll be fine, especially not in the summer. 13 miles is really not that far, I'm sure that you'll do fine, best of luck!

Zoe

Noooo... Just noticed holes are developing on the tops of my shoes (above the pinky toes). Been about 6 months, so I guess it's time :(

This Austin weather is great lately. If only my ankles and hammys were as good as my lungs i could run forever.
And Zoe 6 months is a long time time for a pair of shoes you run in all the time. I myself have a bad habit of holding on to shoes too long .

turnbuckle

There's a school of thought that says that hydration is overrated and I've kind of found it to be true. This time of year, temps are cool and you'll not be sweating as much (not sure where your race is, though). Just drink every so often at aid stations and you'll be fine. Personally I'd rather be a bit under hydrated than the opposite. Less weight to carry, less sloshing in my stomach, just feel lighter. You'll have plenty of opportunity to drink right after the race is finished.

Yeah, I tried limiting my drinking the morning of the race. I had a gatorade and a sip of water about an hour before the race. They were giving small cups of water and gatorade every couple of miles that was more than enough.

My knee started acting up around the 10 mile mark of the race and I had to walk for a bit because of it. After walking for a minute or two I'd run to test the knee and it'd be ok for maybe 30 seconds then start hurting again. Instead of walking at that point I decided to try running while keeping my right (sore knee) leg relatively unbent. It was an awkward stride but it worked out well enough and I sprinted the last minute before crossing the line.

Hope this knee thing I've been experiencing changes. It felt great doing the run but I had so much more in the tank. Ahh well, I signed up for another one in March and there's a half marathon in May I'll be doing too. I'd like to eventually work towards doing a full marathon. It's mostly a question of my body keeping together.

partime

With daylight savings ending Nov 3rd, this is when jogging after work gets tough.

My long jogs are currently 14m @ about 9:30/m.

I've signed up for the OC CA Marathon next March, but I'm already at 14! Thinking of staying this mileage until Dec or Jan before moving up to 26.2. Your thoughts gaf?

I've improved my miles a bit because I'm now running while my daughter attends soccer practice. I can get in 4 miles during her practice. It is a little boring though because I'm running in circles around a park.

I finally started running again last month after a few year hiatus. 5k in 22:08 and 10k in 48:38 is my current best times

I was looking for some advice in actual training since i'm looking into running a half marathon. Previously, it was just a spur of a moment thing before i ran my first 10k last week the longest distance i ran before that was a 5k.

Eventually, i want to run a sub 20 5k and a sub 45 10k but i know i have to actually do some sprint training instead of just winging it everytime i run.

kottila

I finally started running again last month after a few year hiatus. 5k in 22:08 and 10k in 48:38 is my current best times

I was looking for some advice in actual training since i'm looking into running a half marathon. Previously, it was just a spur of a moment thing before i ran my first 10k last week the longest distance i ran before that was a 5k.

Eventually, i want to run a sub 20 5k and a sub 45 10k but i know i have to actually do some sprint training instead of just winging it everytime i run.

My speedwork used to be both short and medium length interval . A typical week would include a 4x1km (or 1-2.3-1-2.3 when my fitness improved) and a 25x200m (~45sec)

I just registered for my first half-marathon - the Capital City Half (Columbus) in May.

I've been meaning to do one for a while, but I kept chickening out. I figure it will serve as good motivation to stay active during the winter.

I typically do at least two 7.5-8 mile runs each week, and the longest I've ever run is about 11. With a good regimen through the winter and spring, I think this will be very doable.

Mieu

I just registered for my first half-marathon - the Capital City Half (Columbus) in May.

I've been meaning to do one for a while, but I kept chickening out. I figure it will serve as good motivation to stay active during the winter.

I typically do at least two 7.5-8 mile runs each week, and the longest I've ever run is about 11. With a good regimen through the winter and spring, I think this will be very doable.

I wish you all the best mate!!

I'm running my 2nd marathon on February 16, 2014. This time with a friend of mine that I pushed to be part of it.. Training and discipline!!

Roubjon

Hey guys. I started running for the first time over the summer and went from never running before in my life to being able to do a 5K in around 28 minutes. The thing is now it's getting colder and I'm not a fan of running in the gym, so I'd still like to do it outside. Do any of you guys/gals have any advice for running in the cold? I'm pretty clueless honestly.

kottila

Hey guys. I started running for the first time over the summer and went from never running before in my life to being able to do a 5K in around 28 minutes. The thing is now it's getting colder and I'm not a fan of running in the gym, so I'd still like to do it outside. Do any of you guys/gals have any advice for running in the cold? I'm pretty clueless honestly.

You don't need that much, the running keeps you warm as it is. down to zero (celsius) I'd probably wear just running pants, merino shirt and a thick-ish running jacket. And a hat+gloves and maybe a buff for the neck. If colder just add layers (extra shirt).

Yeah, it doesn't get that cold here in the Pacific NW. But I found that I could usually get away with much less than I expected when I started running more heavily in the winter. I like a thin hat and a neck buff, and when it gets colder I like to have an outer layer light / medium coat that zips open. That way I can start out with it closed and then bust it open when I start to heat up too much.

has anyone here undergone microfracture surgery
Sorry bit late, just stumbled across this thread. I had microfracture about 18 months ago. I've ran 2 marathons since. If you're patient & keep the weight of your knee for long enough then you can make a full recovery. Lost a lot of muscle mass in my leg though. Any questions, let me know.

Top Bottom