• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Which watch would u guys recommend? I'm starting to get into the meat of my marathon training. With my phone dying around the 11 mile mark think i have to explore other options haha. I'm looking at the Garmin Forerunner 310xt.

kottila

Which watch would u guys recommend? I'm starting to get into the meat of my marathon training. With my phone dying around the 11 mile mark think i have to explore other options haha. I'm looking at the Garmin Forerunner 310xt.

I love my 310xt, but I think it may be a bit overkill if you're not doing biking (or swimming) as well. They have smaller and cheaper watches that are better for pure running, but I don't have any experience with those.

Presco

24:50 today. 8 minute miles even. Going home for Christmas next week, let's see if I can hit 24 before then. :)

It's amazing how much you can improve if you just continue to challenge yourself a bit. I broke 25 minutes for the first time about two months ago and yesterday I ran a 22:35 with plenty of gas left in the tank.

I love my 310xt, but I think it may be a bit overkill if you're not doing biking (or swimming) as well. They have smaller and cheaper watches that are better for pure running, but I don't have any experience with those.

i've been running with my iphone in my hand past few months. don't think it'll be too bothersome lol. actually looking at the forerunner 220 now also though since its one of the latest from Garmin.

kottila

i've been running with my iphone in my hand past few months. don't think it'll be too bothersome lol. actually looking at the forerunner 220 now also though since its one of the latest from Garmin.

310 is also more expensive than the running specific watches. I love it because i can detach the watch from the band and attach it to my bike as well. Check this blog for gadget recommendations http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/sports-gadgets-recommendations.html

Edit: sorry! just remembered my watch is 910xt and not the cheaper 310!

I use a Suunto Ambit. Has more applications beyond running. Really a nice watch.

Servbot24

Banned
24:50 today. 8 minute miles even. Going home for Christmas next week, let's see if I can hit 24 before then. :)
I did it! Which surprised me because I did not run at all this week and just went out intending to do a casual run today. Guess my legs were well rested. :p

It's amazing how much you can improve if you just continue to challenge yourself a bit. I broke 25 minutes for the first time about two months ago and yesterday I ran a 22:35 with plenty of gas left in the tank.

Nice, I'll probably lose a little progress over Christmas break but after that I'll be going at it hard.

pred on my 10k last night 46:40. mind was elsewhere since i thought my phone got stolen but niketown had found it while i went on the run with the pacers. very very cold night in central park.

Necrovex

I decided to focus on my speed rather than endurance these past few runs. My average pace is 8:30 a mile. My goal is to get it around 8:00 a mile for at least two miles straight.

Repgnar

Ran in my first organized 5K this morning. I have been running pretty consistently these past 4 or 5 months and saw a flyer for the run last weekend and decided it was something I wanted to try. When I first got there I really wasn't sure what to do because it was a little chaotic but once they started lining up I had a blast. Finished my run in 2348. I've just been running 3 to 4.5 miles every other day. Plan on keeping an eye open for more runs in the future.

did a 15k race in the snowy madness on Saturday. finished in 1:10:24. makes me a little more confident because its about a minute ahead of my planned marathon pace for end of February.

warthog

I'm running again after a while of being the couch potato. I'm setting a marathon as my objective this time and I really intend to go for it. I have no time schedule, but I hope I can achieve it "next" year (2014). I ran a 20km event this year and the year before and will take that as a starting point this year as well, since it's somewhere around may.

It's been hard to get motivated to start running lately, but I know I'll be hooked again soon enough.

Ydahs

Just ran 4.8km in 24:30, almost two minutes better than my previous best. Been running only once a week on average, but this has now motivated me to run 2-3 times a week :)

Hopefully within a couple of months I'll be back to my fitness levels before injury. My target for the end of this month is 4.8km in 23:30 and below 23 minutes by the start of March.

kottila

Just ran 4.8km in 24:30, almost two minutes better than my previous best. Been running only once a week on average, but this has now motivated me to run 2-3 times a week :)

Hopefully within a couple of months I'll be back to my fitness levels before injury. My target for the end of this month is 4.8km in 23:30 and below 23 minutes by the start of March.

Why don't you just run another 200m to get the even 5k?

Ydahs

I had a course planned out on Maps which has a big loop at the end before heading home. Ran it not caring much about distance and it turned out to be 4.8km.

I also have a short 2.4km course and a long 7.3km course. Not worried about the numbers really.

good 10k race today to start off the year. pred both on my 5k(21:16) and 10k(42:50). have another race tomorrow in Central Park(Hot Chocolate 10 miler) to make my 17 mile long run seem shorter.

Servbot24

Banned
I want to sign up for a half-marathon. If I can run only about 5 miles at the moment how much time do y'all suggest I give myself to train?

kottila

Cross training. What do you guys like to do for cross training?

I'm thinking about shadow boxing and weight training.

Endurance specific strength training and cycling.

I haven' been able to run on the road since october due to runners knee, but after getting a really good physio (I dumped my first one), things are now looking up. Managed 12km today with 5km at almost full speed. 2 min behind my old pb (21.30 vs 19:30), but better than I feared. Now to hope the knee dosen't act up again. I have had recurring pains three years in a row now.

Servbot24

Banned
My wife said about 8 weeks or more. She is way more of a runner than me.

Cool, sounds about right. Ran my 5k in 25:00 today which is a minute worse than last time but it was my first run in a month due to being gone for Christmas. I don't think it will take more than a week to catch back up.

I almost blew out my knee couple weeks ago doing those 2 races back to back. Before i even started the 10m race, my right knee was already sore but decided to run anyway. took 2 weeks off from running pretty much. I did the Fred Lebow half marathon on Sunday and managed to PR 1:43:13. I felt great for the entire race, so I'm going to attempt to get back into my marathon training with a 19 mile-long run on Friday.

deadlast

I almost blew out my knee couple weeks ago doing those 2 races back to back. Before i even started the 10m race, my right knee was already sore but decided to run anyway. took 2 weeks off from running pretty much. I did the Fred Lebow half marathon on Sunday and managed to PR 1:43:13. I felt great for the entire race, so I'm going to attempt to get back into my marathon training with a 19 mile-long run on Friday.
What part of your knee was the pain in?

I believe I have jumper's knee, which is basically tendinitis of the knee. I ordered a strap and have take some time off. Boooo injuries.

AxeMan

I just finished my 5.4k run in my worst time ever.

37 minutes.

I blame the fact that I'd just eaten a load of dinner and the fact that it's still about 34°C outside.

It was terrible

Linius

BepvUww.png

Signed up for my first ever organised run, recreational of course.

Above is the run mapped out. Starting on a race circuit with some highs and lows (it's in the dunes), then four kilometers on the beach and I'll end with four kilometers trough the town of Zandvoort. Hopefully the weather will be okay, looking forward to it.

What part of your knee was the pain in?

I believe I have jumper's knee, which is basically tendinitis of the knee. I ordered a strap and have take some time off. Boooo injuries.

After about 2 days i could walk around pain free and without limping. It was mainly the lower part of my knee. Every once in a while when i'm getting up from sitting can hear a noise like when your cracking your knuckles. I'm still scared to run without a brace on it though.

My 19 mile long run got completed without a hitch yesterday. decided to take it a little easier since i didn't know how my body would hold up. 2:53:57 9:09 pace. just have the 20 mile long run next weekend and then it's time to taper. marathon in 3 weeks :). My planned pace is around 8:30 but we'll see what ends up happening race day.

Fuck treadmills. Seriously.

I can run seven miles with relative ease outdoors, but I struggle to get through three on a treadmill. I think it's mental. I can't stand the monotony of treadmills.

Hopefully February ends up being more conducive to outdoor running than January was.

I can run seven miles with relative ease outdoors, but I struggle to get through three on a treadmill. I think it's mental. I can't stand the monotony of treadmills.

Hopefully February ends up being more conducive to outdoor running than January was.

i tried a treadmill after 4 years early last month. felt like my soul was dying inside. had to get off after 4 miles. i've gotten used to running in the negative windchill so i'll only be on a treadmill in a worst case scenario lol

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I like the treadmill. I feel self-conscious running outside for people to see me. I don't look the best in shape.

I'm feeling very proud of myself GAF. I started a 5K prep program late October that I'm over halfway done with. Here's been my progress (sessions skipped out of the timeline). You're supposed to run every other day, sometimes two days later:

Week 1 Day 2: 30 minutes total, 8 minutes running, 1 minute max run completed November 1st
Week 1 Day 3: 30 minutes total, 8 minutes running, 1 minute max run completed November 2nd
Week 2 Day 2: 28 minutes total, 8 minutes running, 1 minute 30 seconds max run completed November 5th
Week 2 Day 3: 31 minutes total, 9 minutes running, 1 minute 30 seconds max run completed November 8th
Week 3 Day 1: 26 minutes total, 8 minutes running, 2 minutes 30 seconds max run completed January 14th
Week 3 Day 2: 26 minutes total, 8 minutes running, 2 minutes 30 seconds max run completed January 16th
Week 3 Day 3: 30 minutes total, 10 minutes running, 3 minutes max run completed January 21st
Week 4 Day 1: 34 minutes total, 14 minutes running, 4 minutes max run completed January 23rd HUGE HURDLE
Week 4 Day 2: 36 minutes total, 16 minutes running, 5 minutes max run completed January 25th
Week 4 Day 3: 34 minutes total, 16 minutes running, 5 minutes max run completed January 27th
Week 5 Day 1: 32 minutes total, 16 minutes running, 6 minutes max run completed January 29th
Week 5 Day 2: 36 minutes total, 18 minutes running, 8 minutes max run completed February 1st

I continue to surprise myself; I thought there was no way I would complete my run today. I've been on a streak as you can see.
3AQmK.gif

deadlast

I love treadmills. I mainly run on them. The only issue I have is the time only allows for a max of 1 hour.

Antagon

Started running around Christmas after being aa complete couch potato for years. Hit my first 5 km two weeks ago I'm around 28 minutes. Went couch potato again after that though, work this being my second run since. Had to break it off at 4.25 km because of my muscles starting to hurt to much. Hopefully I hit my second 5km this tuesday.

finished top 300 out of about 5200 ppl in the 4m race i did yesterday. couldn't have done much better was huffing and puffing last 2 miles since i haven't really done any sprint training lately lol. finished in 27:06. approximate splits were 6:48, 6:31, 6:48, and 6:33.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
finished top 300 out of about 5200 ppl in the 4m race i did yesterday. couldn't have done much better was huffing and puffing last 2 miles since i haven't really done any sprint training lately lol. finished in 27:06. approximate splits were 6:48, 6:31, 6:48, and 6:33.
Nice job man! The most I'm hoping to do is a 5k in that time.

Linius

T8HJQnN.png

My longest run so far in preparation for the Zandvoort thing. Gonna play around with the distance a bit now. Hopefully I can run the half marathon smoothly by the end of the year.

AxeMan

I'm slowly getting my runs longer, both in time and distance.

Just finished 7.8k in 49 minutes.
I need to work on my pace though, I'm running at about 6 minutes 10-20 seconds per k. I'd love to get that back to 6 minutes flat

Keio

For a Finer World
Signed up for my first ever organised run, recreational of course.

Above is the run mapped out. Starting on a race circuit with some highs and lows (it's in the dunes), then four kilometers on the beach and I'll end with four kilometers trough the town of Zandvoort. Hopefully the weather will be okay, looking forward to it.

I ran this race two years ago, it's a really fun event! The beach can be tough though, especially entering and exiting as you run through a bunch of soft sand.

The spectators are really good, that's the best thing about this race – also very good variation with the circuit vs beach vs town.

Two years ago I think it was +20, so I ran in shorts & t-shirt. Perfect start for spring.

Any advice for someone starting over?

I was an avid runner a few years ago before Achilles tendon problems forced me to take time off. I was absolutely in love with running (maybe addicted?) but my body just couldn't keep up with the workload. Flashforward a bit, I broke my leg last December (2012) and they inserted a rod and screws. I tried doing some treadmill this past fall around 9 months later but the screw near my knee gave me a lot of issues. I tried again yesterday outside and everything was great, this is probably the first time I've been 100% in a long time. However I don't really know how hard to push, how fast to go, my pace was off. In my mind I wanted to be running a brisk 3k out of the gate but yesterday showed me starting over really is completely starting over. What was a good, achievable goal for you guys when you first started? My expectations are out of whack

Any advice for someone starting over?

I was an avid runner a few years ago before Achilles tendon problems forced me to take time off. I was absolutely in love with running (maybe addicted?) but my body just couldn't keep up with the workload. Flashforward a bit, I broke my leg last December (2012) and they inserted a rod and screws. I tried doing some treadmill this past fall around 9 months later but the screw near my knee gave me a lot of issues. I tried again yesterday outside and everything was great, this is probably the first time I've been 100% in a long time. However I don't really know how hard to push, how fast to go, my pace was off. In my mind I wanted to be running a brisk 3k out of the gate but yesterday showed me starting over really is completely starting over. What was a good, achievable goal for you guys when you first started? My expectations are out of whack

i took a couple year break also right after i got out of the army. when i started again in September i just ran for distance first couple days. just doing 2 miles at like 9 min pace. signed up for a 5k race for the following month and ended up running 23:10 while getting insane side stitch before the last mile causing me to walk a bunch of times. best advice i can give is listen to your body. sign up for a race even with just the goal of just finishing. the pr's will come eventually again.

Linius

I ran this race two years ago, it's a really fun event! The beach can be tough though, especially entering and exiting as you run through a bunch of soft sand.

The spectators are really good, that's the best thing about this race – also very good variation with the circuit vs beach vs town.

Two years ago I think it was +20, so I ran in shorts & t-shirt. Perfect start for spring.

I didn't expect anybody on Gaf to have run this thing before, such a small world :p

And I'm really exited for that beach part, wondering how tough it will be. They asked me an estimated time for the run upon signing up so I slowed it a bit down keeping that beach part in mind.

First run past 3 miles since hurting my Achilles in January . It stil hurt towards the end but at least I did did not get nauseous . I averaged 7:50 a mile .

AxeMan

How do all you guys run so fast?

I'm really pushing to do 6 minute kilometres.

Have you been running for long? Just push through it?
I really don't understand how you can get so fast and stay so fast over a distance.

Top Bottom