• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

toff74

Hello.

ive not run for a good year now and i've promised the missus that i would be fit for my 40th. Problem is its only 8 weeks away!

is there a way i could possibly be fit to run 10k in 8 weeks time?

i can put the time in need to start pretty much now.

any of you guys with great running knowledge think of a simple 10k program?

thanks

toff74

I've seen couch-to-10k programs, and I've seen 10k training programs that take 8 weeks, but I don't know about the two of those combined. Here's an example: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

8 weeks long, but you need to already be able to run 2.5 miles without too much trouble. If you're in good enough shape to do 2.5 then you could go ahead and use this program.

thanks for the quick reply.

i'll have a good read through it this morning and whilst im not overly comfortable running 2.5m its wont kill me.

thanks again and ill hopefully keep the thread updated with progress.

did my first trail 10k today. it was probably one of the hardest races i did besides my marathon but i loved every minute of it haha. some of the hills u had to come to a walk otherwise u would fall on your butt.

mileage is a little off because the gps is a little wonky in the woods area.
Th8SXlE.png

Danielsan

Tried to really push my 5k pace this morning. Quite satisfied with the results (my fastest 1k and 5k yet). Looking to hit a 22:00 5k run within 2-3 weeks.

MSnZadB.png

Linius

I felt like pushing my 5Ks in the beginning. But now I rarely do them anymore, it makes more sense for me now to keep expanding the length of my runs. I'm not such a speedster anyways. Yesterday I ran 10K on a steady 5:15/km pace without break too many sweats. My goal is to run the 16K I do in september on a 5:00/km pace. My last 'race' of 12K on a tough circuit came already very close with 5:07 so I don't think it should be a problem with a steady training schedule.

Danielsan

I felt like pushing my 5Ks in the beginning. But now I rarely do them anymore, it makes more sense for me now to keep expanding the length of my runs. I'm not such a speedster anyways. Yesterday I ran 10K on a steady 5:15/km pace without break too many sweats. My goal is to run the 16K I do in september on a 5:00/km pace. My last 'race' of 12K on a tough circuit came already very close with 5:07 so I don't think it should be a problem with a steady training schedule.
I've never been much of a speed runner either. Never will be either. I only push for the 5k every now and then because my ex-colleague is extremely competitive and always goes on about how quick and awesome he is. And I love seeing hem squirm when I beat his times.

Back when I first started running I also always went for expanding the length of my runs, with the Dam tot Dam (10 miles) as end goal. However once I reached my goal, I kind of fell off. Running for over an hour quickly became boring to me. So I had to look for additional challenges. Running on the beach, taking difficult hills etc.. Now that I have to rebuild my fitness again I'm trying to aim for a higher average speed than I used to be comfortable with. I'm aiming for 10k at a 4:30/km pace. Which I definitely can't do now, but should be attainable if I keep exercising regularly.

Here's today's early morning run:

032JjVt.png

The mid-section of my run (dunes) really eats in to my time, but I'm still pretty happy.

Linius

My current 'end goal' is the Dam to Dam too. I did 10K in Alphen, then 12K in Zandvoort and up next is 14K in Almere. Then the 16,1K in Amsterdam. But ultimately I like the idea of running a marathon once. Not sure if I'll ever make it though :p

i'm on cloud 9 right now. finally broke my goal of sub 20 5k during the 4m race i did today. only thing left to do is qualify for boston within the next few years :).

XibDNPN.png

yea that 3rd mile in central park is rolling hills. its usually always my slowest mile but just pushed through it today. felt great all throughout the race.

Zoe

I always have both Runkeeper and Endomondo running for redundancy. Though there have been a few times when it's been my phone's GPS that was out of wack :\

Linius

I might have to install runkeeper just in case. Luckily I know the distance pretty well thanks to older runs I tracked but it's a weird mistake.

On the map you can see that the app started counting from about the four kilometer mark. It just skipped everything before that. And yet he managed to make it 27 minutes for the first kilometer :p

had a great time at Brooklyn Half yesterday. ran 1:29:44 which is nearly 8 min PR. one of the pacers from Niketown was pacing the 1:30 group so had a familiar face to comfort me when i wanted to quit like 5 times lol. with that broke all my goals for the year. sub 20 5k(19:40), sub 42 10k(41:14), and sub 1:30 half. hopefully it translates when i attempt nyc marathon later this year. will have to cut 45 minutes off my marathon to BQ.

3pXiEEh.jpg

ePkARjA.png

inm8num2

How do you guys deal with running in the winter? I took 4 months off and I'm just too out of shape.

Just gotta find a way to keep at it. You don't need expensive "running" gear imo - just wear some sweatpants or track pants, sweatshirt, hat, gloves, etc.

It depends on where you are, though. Sometimes the roads can be too dangerous, and sidewalks aren't always paved. Just think of how much of a badass you will be each time you run in the snow/cold. :p

How do you guys deal with running in the winter? I took 4 months off and I'm just too out of shape.

I never missed a single run in winter last year, but I fell on the ice twice. And even though I didn't get hurt, I knew that was sheer luck; so this year, I never ran if there was accumulation on the sidewalk. So I probably missed about ten runs. I also skipped runs when the temperature was sub 15 degrees. But apart from that I just bundled up, missing four months is rough.

Winter is my favorite season to run. i like my body being completely cool during races. did my marathon training starting in December since Central Park marathon was end of February. had to deal with a few sub zero days with the wind chill but just added a layer or two and i was fine

Linius

Amazing pace Rippeleffect, good job :D

About running in the winter, unless the streets are icey I just go running. In my experience a thermo shirt (or what ever you call it) underneath a running shirt (long sleeves one) and just simple runner pants are enough to keep you warm.

Linius

tS4EV9f.png

Decided it was time to try and beat my PR for the 5K. That was 22:41 on march 19. Now two months later I managed to get more than a minute off it. Pretty happy with this time. Maybe it's a doable goal to try and beat the 20 minutes this year after all.

But for the coming time I'm not gonna focus on that anymore. Going to go for the longer distances more now since I got my 16.1 kilometers coming up in september. And I think it's time to take things outside of running more serious. Like extra exercises for the muscles and stuff like that. Anyone here got some practice routines they use?

warthog

Sooo...I'm planning on running my very first marathon later this year. This will hopefully happen in november. I have some experience running 20k, which I've done a couple of times, but the transition the 42k is making me a bit anxious. Right now I'm following a marathon program by nike, which is nice and easy to track my progress with because of the nike gps watch I have. It keeps me motivated because I just have to run the distance the program tells me to and I like it that way.

I'm also going to keep a log of what I eat and when and how it influences my runs.

How were some of you guys/girls first time marathon experiences? What to keep in mind? Any good books/sites on nutrition, tips, ...?

deadlast

Sooo...I'm planning on running my very first marathon later this year. This will hopefully happen in november. I have some experience running 20k, which I've done a couple of times, but the transition the 42k is making me a bit anxious. Right now I'm following a marathon program by nike, which is nice and easy to track my progress with because of the nike gps watch I have. It keeps me motivated because I just have to run the distance the program tells me to and I like it that way.

I'm also going to keep a log of what I eat and when and how it influences my runs.

How were some of you guys/girls first time marathon experiences? What to keep in mind? Any good books/sites on nutrition, tips, ...?

According to my wife, she said her success was sticking to her training.
Also you need to make sure you stay hydrated and eat during your long runs. Also having someone who can finish out the run with you will help.

andthebeatgoeson

Just gotta find a way to keep at it. You don't need expensive "running" gear imo - just wear some sweatpants or track pants, sweatshirt, hat, gloves, etc.

It depends on where you are, though. Sometimes the roads can be too dangerous, and sidewalks aren't always paved. Just think of how much of a badass you will be each time you run in the snow/cold. :p

I never missed a single run in winter last year, but I fell on the ice twice. And even though I didn't get hurt, I knew that was sheer luck; so this year, I never ran if there was accumulation on the sidewalk. So I probably missed about ten runs. I also skipped runs when the temperature was sub 15 degrees. But apart from that I just bundled up, missing four months is rough.

Winter is my favorite season to run. i like my body being completely cool during races. did my marathon training starting in December since Central Park marathon was end of February. had to deal with a few sub zero days with the wind chill but just added a layer or two and i was fine
Thanks for the replies. Do you guys run in the dark? Do you run less distance? The summer helps me out with more day light. And i worry about my local roads in the dark.

I think the cold was one part of it. But thinking about the whole thing, a quick 3 miles is better than anything. I could work on speed and less on distance. Or just join the local Y that has an indoor track.

So, did you guys make adjustments with your winter running?

Rarity

Honestly, have fun. Unless you're running competitively, enjoy the marathon and don't beat yourself up if you need to take breaks. The first time I ran a marathon, my friends surprised me at the halfway point and having that emotional support was a huge boost to my energy and mentality.

I could work on speed and less on distance. Or just join the local Y that has an indoor track.

I work on speed more in the winter as I have less daylight to run in. And I would certainly recommend running on an indoor track if you're wary of running in the dark in your area.

I did my first marathon in Central Park, so i got to see alot of familiar faces while i did my 5 loops since that's where i did majority of my training. Just hearing them cheering and getting to run with them for a bit kept my morale high until the finish. i had to take a break after every mile after the 20th for 30 seconds to a minute since my 2 and a half month training wasn't enough.

My best advice is don't feel the need to run extra when its time to taper. Your body needs time to recover before the actual marathon. Runner's World almost always has good articles so give them a follow on facebook or visit the actual site.

My goal was just to run sub 4 for my first one which i did but the most important thing is to enjoy yourself. Just finishing will be satisfying enough for the first.

Hey guys,

I am getting a lot of requests from people to run with me, but personally I have no clue for a great run/jog workout for total beginners. :( Maybe one of you guys can help me out. Most of them have zero experience, but get motivated when they see me and a photo from two years ago. I want to support that motivation, but seriously what should I do with them? I just run 7-15km and stop. But I can not do that with them or can I? I mean they would be dead after that run? Should I do a mix of running and walking? But how long should be the run part and how long the walk one?

I appreciate every help.

Hey guys,

I am getting a lot of requests from people to run with me, but personally I have no clue for a great run/jog workout for total beginners. :( Maybe one of you guys can help me out. Most of them have zero experience, but get motivated when they see me and a photo from two years ago. I want to support that motivation, but seriously what should I do with them? I just run 7-15km and stop. But I can not do that with them or can I? I mean they would be dead after that run? Should I do a mix of running and walking? But how long should be the run part and how long the walk one?

I appreciate every help.

You'll pretty much be running with them rather than the other way around. Which is difficult, because they don't really know their own actual pace. So you'll be reading them for a pace that they won't be communicating with you clearly. That's why it's good to try and make conversation the whole time so you can hear when they're getting ragged.

There's a decent chance that they will push too hard initially, so you may need to make a conscious effort to slow them down. Otherwise, the run will be over super fast, and they won't feel wonderful about it. Depending on their physical condition, they may need frequent walking breaks, but be a bit unwilling to admit it. And an absolute beginner probably may struggle to make it much past 3K, if even that far. I don't think an absolute beginner would be dead after a 7-15k run, so much as I think they'd be really unlikely to make that distance at all.

inm8num2

Any opinions on Vitamin Water vs Gatorade for post-run? Or neither?

Can't remember the last time I had Gatorade (don't think I've had Vitamin water either), so this may not be the answer you seek, but I go with good ol' water. I also love smoothies after a run - great for refueling. You can add anything - fruits, peanut butter, honey, oats, etc.

Zoe

I started drinking Vitamin Water right after once I started going over 45 minutes consistently (and the heat went way up) in order to replace electrolytes... but today it just tastes sickeningly sweet for some reason.

I used to do smoothies, just like the convenience of drinking something right away.

giga

Started running 5ks twice a week about a month ago. The middle, right side of my right foot started hurting after my last run. I've been resting it two days now, but it still hurts when I put pressure on it. (I have to walk on my tip toes.)

Guessing a stress fracture or tendonitis? Any experience with this before I go to the urgent care clinic for some x-rays?

Zoe

Started running 5ks twice a week about a month ago. The middle, right side of my right foot started hurting after my last run. I've been resting it two days now, but it still hurts when I put pressure on it. (I have to walk on my tip toes.)

Guessing a stress fracture or tendonitis? Any experience with this before I go to the urgent care clinic for some x-rays?

My plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis never hurt just from standing :\

I started drinking Vitamin Water right after once I started going over 45 minutes consistently (and the heat went way up) in order to replace electrolytes... but today it just tastes sickeningly sweet for some reason.

I used to do smoothies, just like the convenience of drinking something right away.

Sometimes I'll do about 8oz of pickle juice followed by about 8 more of water.

Guevara

I forgot GAF had a running club. I've been running once a week lately, 6 miles last weekend, 4 miles yesterday. Feeling good at about a 9 min/mile pace, but between weeks I'm doing other things (weights, plyometrics).

I'd like to run a 10K (distance is no problem, I'm just slow) or half marathon someday. How often do I need to run to improve? I'm guessing once a week isn't enough?

crispyben

I forgot GAF had a running club. I've been running once a week lately, 6 miles last weekend, 4 miles yesterday. Feeling good at about a 9 min/mile pace, but between weeks I'm doing other things (weights, plyometrics).

I'd like to run a 10K (distance is no problem, I'm just slow) or half marathon someday. How often do I need to run to improve? I'm guessing once a week isn't enough?
Really improving means running more than once a week. Depending from where you start, you will see progress with a weekly run where you increase the distance and/or speed, but you will plateau after a few weeks/months. Beyond that, there are many different training philosophies, and it depends on your goal(s). The one constant is to keep listening to your body, because overdoing it doesn't help. Oh, and having fun, too, even if it hurst a bit :)

Gibbo

Used to be able to run long distances..but after an operation last year, ive been limiting my runs to about 5km each session

Ive also recently started to use a heart monitor (polar ft7) on my runs. Anyone of you have any tips on using this effectively? I usually run till close to my max heart rate (180), then jog/brisk walk slowly till 150, then run again to 180.

andthebeatgoeson

Just finished the Peachtree Road Race.

It was my first and finished in 66 minutes. Feels good. My long term goal will be to get to 8 minute miles. Now, my outer right knee hurts like shit but ehh. Walking slow hurts more. Going to take a week or so off to recover and then restart a training schedule with some strength training.

ruxtpin

Banned
Congrats, I did the PTRR this morning too. 6th year, but for some reason I've felt burnt out on running lately. Been running pretty steady for about 7-8 years - dunno if I need to take a break. I just don't look forward to races as much as I used to.

deadlast

Just above my right heel hurts. It hurts every morning. It hurts to walk or run. But about 1/2 a mile or so into my run it doesn't hurt.
Running GAF what's wrong with me?

Ghazi

Omg. I didn't know a running thread existed here. That is amazing.

Now I can talk about routine and training schedules with everyone here!

First off, how should I begin dieting? To maximize the amount of protein and carbs I get, right?

Zoe

I would recommend signing up for a 10k in between the jump from 5k to 10miles, but thats not always a possibility for everyone.

There's a distance challenge that was going to start with a 10K in the beginning of October, but it got cancelled and now the first race may be the 10 mile at the end of October.

Zoe

Careful out there Austinites , it is a killer. I Had to stop at mile 4 of a 5 mile run.

It was 96 at 8:00 during my run last night. Only went down a few degrees by the end of the hour. Last week was so nice when we went to Town Lake in the morning. Doing it again tomorrow morning, but I'm already dreading it :(

Gotta keep going though. We're both signed up for the Distance Challenge.

Zoe

Ugh, didn't get ready early enough to run at Town Lake, so we just ran in our neighborhood like usual. I swear it felt worse than Thursday night despite being nearly 20 degrees cool at 79. The humidity did not help.

Top Bottom